2019-2020 STATE TOURNAMENT

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2019-2020 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:56 am

I think the ref's did a great job. Too many times girls go to the basket and fall on the ground. If the offensive play creates the contact it is not a foul on the defense. I see that in girls basketball all the time. Girls laying on the ground and the crowd yelling. When a player turns and jumps into a big or the big blocks a shot and the girls hits the ground... not a foul. You have feet... use them to stand up.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:05 am

backroads wrote:
B-oldtimer wrote:It has been talked about locally the LEM only had one player on all region tournament. What I have heard couple of schools didn't vote for any LEM players for the region team thus why LEM only having one on the team. If this is true pretty much poor sportsmanship by these schools and it only hurt kids participating in sports don't take it out on them because you have something against school, community, administration, or coach. In the end it will just reflect back to you and how your perceived.

My guess is the coaches didn't decide on just stats, they also looked at sportsmanship and attitude towards others. There was another gal that didn't get the nod in Regions as well with huge stats, but not a very healthy attitude towards all others on the court. The "because you have something against" comment is about as tasteful as the skin color comment. Pretty straight forward when the the whole region decides, they chose right.

Couple questions:
1) do you think a team that goes 27-0 and wins the state by a 17 pt average should have had more than 1 all region player?
2) I presume you just watched the tourney - who on Langdon’s team appeared to have a bad attitude and displayed poor sportsmanship?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:38 am

Ok, lets get one thing straight. They had the toughest strength of schedule in the state, won their games by an average of 30+ points, beat every team in their district/region by a wide margin of 30-60 points (with the exception of four winds). If you are honestly picking the best seven girls in Region 4 all of them play for Langdon-Edmore-Munich or Four Winds-Minnewauken.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Howie » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:43 am

I can't believe no one has talked about the incident that took place on semi-final night between a coach and a player.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby ballernd » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:47 am

Howie wrote:I can't believe no one has talked about the incident that took place on semi-final night between a coach and a player.

What incident was that?
ballernd
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:48 am

Howie wrote:I can't believe no one has talked about the incident that took place on semi-final night between a coach and a player.

Care to be the first? Feel free to elaborate and begin the discussion.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:57 am

NDSports wrote:I actually mentioned to a friend in the 3rd that I bet LEM saw Demers getting away with some pretty physical play inside and not get called so they amped it up in the 2nd half expecting the same treatment. I thought LEM came out a little passive in the first half and could’ve been because of how many fouls they were getting against Central Cass. It basically turned into a ‘well we know how to be physical too’ type turnaround in the 2nd half though. I thought overall the game was called consistently for both teams at least.

Great take and how I saw it. Thought the big girl inside for Grafton was what got them through the semi-finals. Altered a lot of shots against Trenton while her teammates found rebounding lanes to control boards. Also thought she owned the first quarter in championship. LEM made great adjustments at halftime as you mentioned.
I thought the refs did a good job for not "penalizing" a player for their height. Few years back at same venue, wouldn't have said the same thing.

The Schwab wrote:If you are honestly picking the best seven girls in Region 4 all of them play for Langdon-EM or Four Winds.

Not sure I would 100% agree with this statement but guessing you are close. Their are a few other players in R4 in the discussion but that is for another time.

Congrats to all teams and to all players for putting on a great tourney. Although it isn't an ideal situation for western teams having to travel so far, it sure looks like the Betty is a great venue for this tourney. Felt electric just watching on tv.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Howie » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:14 am

An assistant coach physically grabbed a player and pulled her into the huddle. The anger in his eyes was not ok. The behavior displayed shouldn't be tolerated at any level and I know that most school districts would handle this with an immediate termination of duties. I would assume at the college level it would be handled the same way at most institutions. Absolutely ridiculous.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:26 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:If you are honestly picking the best seven girls in Region 4 all of them play for Langdon-EM or Four Winds.

Not sure I would 100% agree with this statement but guessing you are close. Their are a few other players in R4 in the discussion but that is for another time.

Congrats to all teams and to all players for putting on a great tourney. Although it isn't an ideal situation for western teams having to travel so far, it sure looks like the Betty is a great venue for this tourney. Felt electric just watching on tv.

Ok fair enough. Not trying to take anything away from the girls who were on the team, but it seems like a case of jealously or some alternate agenda by the other coaches in the region.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 am

maddog1971 wrote:I think the ref's did a great job. Too many times girls go to the basket and fall on the ground. If the offensive play creates the contact it is not a foul on the defense. I see that in girls basketball all the time. Girls laying on the ground and the crowd yelling. When a player turns and jumps into a big or the big blocks a shot and the girls hits the ground... not a foul. You have feet... use them to stand up.

It definitely can be a foul on the defense if offense creates the contact.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:45 am

The Schwab wrote:Ok, lets get one thing straight. They had the toughest strength of schedule in the state, won their games by an average of 30+ points, beat every team in their district/region by a wide margin of 30-60 points (with the exception of four winds). If you are honestly picking the best seven girls in Region 4 all of them play for Langdon-Edmore-Munich or Four Winds-Minnewauken.

Not sure why Region 4 limits the team to 7. I would have put 3 from LEM on it for sure. Ronningen, Freije, and Scherr. The other two starters definitely all-district, but don't think they were the 10 best in the entire region. I would also say that FWM should have had 2, maybe 3 players on it. Prouty from St. John and Neppl from BC also were the top players in the region this season.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ballernd » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:10 pm

Howie wrote:An assistant coach physically grabbed a player and pulled her into the huddle. The anger in his eyes was not ok. The behavior displayed shouldn't be tolerated at any level and I know that most school districts would handle this with an immediate termination of duties. I would assume at the college level it would be handled the same way at most institutions. Absolutely ridiculous.

I guess I must not have been paying attention and didn't see this. What game was this in?
ballernd
NDPreps Reserve

Postby muley14 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:54 pm

Howie wrote:An assistant coach physically grabbed a player and pulled her into the huddle. The anger in his eyes was not ok. The behavior displayed shouldn't be tolerated at any level and I know that most school districts would handle this with an immediate termination of duties. I would assume at the college level it would be handled the same way at most institutions. Absolutely ridiculous.

No idea what you're talking about but the description makes me think of the ToyStory movie when Mrs. Patotoe Head packed his "Angry Eyes" :lol:

Again, I have no idea what you're talking about but if we are going to start calling for someone's job because they have "anger in their eyes"...
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:59 pm

I'm pretty sure it was the grabbing that was being taken issue with...not the anger in his eyes. I agree that isn't an ok thing to do to any athlete. I didn't see it so don't know what happened and don't know the context of the event but it doesn't really matter. No reason to ever grab an athlete if that is what happened.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Howie » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:24 pm

muley14 wrote:

No idea what you're talking about but the description makes me think of the ToyStory movie when Mrs. Patotoe Head packed his "Angry Eyes" :lol:

Again, I have no idea what you're talking about but if we are going to start calling for someone's job because they have "anger in their eyes"...

Anger in the eyes isn't the issue, the issue was a grown adult grabbing a teenage girl by the arm.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
NDSports wrote:I actually mentioned to a friend in the 3rd that I bet LEM saw Demers getting away with some pretty physical play inside and not get called so they amped it up in the 2nd half expecting the same treatment. I thought LEM came out a little passive in the first half and could’ve been because of how many fouls they were getting against Central Cass. It basically turned into a ‘well we know how to be physical too’ type turnaround in the 2nd half though. I thought overall the game was called consistently for both teams at least.

Great take and how I saw it. Thought the big girl inside for Grafton was what got them through the semi-finals. Altered a lot of shots against Trenton while her teammates found rebounding lanes to control boards. Also thought she owned the first quarter in championship. LEM made great adjustments at halftime as you mentioned.
I thought the refs did a good job for not "penalizing" a player for their height. Few years back at same venue, wouldn't have said the same thing.

I thought she did a great job of blocking, her timing was unbelievable for her age, she is going to be a force to reckon with the next 3 years.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby backroads » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:15 pm

Couple questions:
1) do you think a team that goes 27-0 and wins the state by a 17 pt average should have had more than 1 all region player?
2) I presume you just watched the tourney - who on Langdon’s team appeared to have a bad attitude and displayed poor sportsmanship?[/quote]

They certainly could have had more than one there yes, coaches didn’t see it that way. No, I don’t think the coaches got together ahead of time and said we are going to do this to LAEM. They, as a team, won the ultimate reward...a state trophy. What more could a player ask for other than to be part of that great TEAM? I do watch a lot of Region 4 sports for both boys and girls as the region always puts together a powerhouse. The boys side isn’t going to be much different either. In ten or twenty years not many will remember who was all district or all region, but most will surely remember the exciting state tournament we just got to watch and who won that reward.
backroads
NDPreps Rookie

Postby prairiefox » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 am

sportsphenom wrote:Was not impressed at all by the officiating. I don't think it was one sided at all. I attended every session but the first one and it was the same throughout. Bodies flying, super physical. Don't get me wrong I don't like whistles blowing all the time but by the end of the tournament it was ridiculous. its amazing no one got hurt. It turned into sloppy basketball in some games because there was so much contact allowed. Girls were getting frustrated and I don't blame them. That being said I do think the right team won, just didn't like the style of basketball that transpired over the weekend.

It is truly not fair and biased how officials get chosen. The top officials get chosen to do boys games first and then whoever is left gets to do girls games. Girls basketball always gets the bottom of the barrel. As for letting the the players play, I like letting them play but girls officials are not good enough to know how to do that. So they think they know but the game gets out of hand a lot of times. By not blowing the whistle, they can decide they game just as much as blowing it too much.
prairiefox
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:12 am

why Doesn't Smith CC Start?
and she sits a lot.....is there a "she better not play in front of my kid issue"
best Player in the tournament...and Walker (grafton) not far behind
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:15 am

winner-within wrote:why Doesn't Smith CC Start?
and she sits a lot.....is there a "she better not play in front of my kid issue"

A source from the Casselton area told us that Casselton doesn't allow freshman to start, don't quote me on that but that is what we were told when we inquired about it. I will say she does bring that spark off the bench though.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoophoophoop » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:28 am

heard she doesn't want to start, feels better coming off bench, only two years playing ball, wait til she figures it out, uffda
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:33 am

backroads wrote:Couple questions:
2) I presume you just watched the tourney - who on Langdon’s team appeared to have a bad attitude and displayed poor sportsmanship?

They certainly could have had more than one there yes, coaches didn’t see it that way. No, I don’t think the coaches got together ahead of time and said we are going to do this to LAEM. They, as a team, won the ultimate reward...a state trophy. What more could a player ask for other than to be part of that great TEAM? I do watch a lot of Region 4 sports for both boys and girls as the region always puts together a powerhouse. The boys side isn’t going to be much different either. In ten or twenty years not many will remember who was all district or all region, but most will surely remember the exciting state tournament we just got to watch and who won that reward.[/quote]

Just because they won the ultimate award, which they DID, doesn't mean that it is inconsequential who receives a post season award. Langdon's girls obviously put a lot of work into it, their is no reason they shouldn't be recognized for it. Of course, i'm sure those girls wouldn't trade what that accomplished as a team for individual accolades.
Now can you answer my second question?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:38 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
backroads wrote:Couple questions:

They certainly could have had more than one there yes, coaches didn’t see it that way. No, I don’t think the coaches got together ahead of time and said we are going to do this to LAEM. They, as a team, won the ultimate reward...a state trophy. What more could a player ask for other than to be part of that great TEAM? I do watch a lot of Region 4 sports for both boys and girls as the region always puts together a powerhouse. The boys side isn’t going to be much different either. In ten or twenty years not many will remember who was all district or all region, but most will surely remember the exciting state tournament we just got to watch and who won that reward.

Just because they won the ultimate award, which they DID, doesn't mean that it is inconsequential who receives a post season award. Langdon's girls obviously put a lot of work into it, their is no reason they shouldn't be recognized for it. Of course, i'm sure those girls wouldn't trade what that accomplished as a team for individual accolades.
Now can you answer my second question?[/quote]

From their girls I didn't see any bad sportsmanship or bad attitudes, from the 2 fans that got escorted out on Friday night, now that is a different story.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:41 am

If we are going to judge high school athletes on the behavior of their teams fans, no one would win any awards, ever.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:59 am

sportsphenom wrote:
winner-within wrote:why Doesn't Smith CC Start?

A source from the Casselton area told us that Casselton doesn't allow freshman to start, don't quote me on that but that is what we were told when we inquired about it. I will say she does bring that spark off the bench though.

CC started 3 freshmen last year
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Girls