2019-2020 STATE TOURNAMENT

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2019-2020 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby classB4ever » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:12 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
defensewinsgames wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Bold prediction....Langdon takes the championship with an average margin of victory for the weekend of 20 points per game. I know there are many good teams at the tourney and it's no knock to them, but Langdon is just on another level right now and I don't see the momentum slowing.

I would agree that Langdon is the favorite but an average margin of victory of 20 points is crazy high. So just for arguments sake I think the hardest set of opponents for Langdon would go: Hettinger Scranton (have to play - 1st round), Central Cass, and then Grafton (Trenton would be tough as well). I don't see a scenario where they beat those three (or two of the three) by 20+ points. Langdon is very good but I think every other ranked team this year is also really good. Should be an interesting tournament, but ultimately yes...Langdon would also be by favorite heading into the tournament. Anything can happen at the B though!

I agree that it's probably not likely, that's why it's a bold prediction. They've had 3 games all season within single digits. The last time they were really tested was against Grafton a month ago. They already have a 30 point win over H-S this season. They just rolled through their region tournament (which had 1 really good team and some decent teams) by an average margin of victory of 45 points. Of course anything can happen at state and we'll see if I'm right in a couple days.

Kudos for this. It was a bold prediction and so far you nailed it. Will be interesting to see how it plays out tonight. Grafton playing some good ball as well. Good luck to all teams and stay healthy.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:27 am

Hats off to the LEM Coach! He stopped CC from using their speed and made them play conventional basketball. Even with CC's fast transition game working I think LEM would of won but not by as much as they did. CC didn't know what to do without the fast break. Kindred pressed CC in the regular season and without getting into foul trouble like in the region game and the score was about the same. Beat them by 20 or something. Still would like to of seen the LEM vs Kindred match up.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:54 pm

How many all district players did Langdon Area/Edmore/Munich have?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:01 pm

The Schwab wrote:How many all district players did Langdon Area/Edmore/Munich have?

All 5 starters made the All-District 8 Team: Ronningen (Senior Athlete), Freije, Scherr, Olson, & Lowery)
Per the Cavalier County Extra article after title game
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:23 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:#1 - Langdon
#2 - Grafton
#3 - Central Cas
#4 - Trenton
#5 - Rugby
#6 - Hettinger/Scranton
#7 - Lamoure
#8 - Shiloh

You have my vote! Only upset I would like to maybe see would be in the 2nd round where CC wins and takes the Tourney. So flop 1 & 3 but I don't think that is going to happen.
If it works out and Langdon plays CC you peeps better watch cause that could be your State Championship game.

That was the State Championship last night then??
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby MTfan4life » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:57 pm

I'll be curious to hear how many turnovers Grafton has had in the second half. Stifling defense combined with some over rushing has led to a barrage of turnovers. Possibly more TOs than shots in the 2nd half.
Last edited by MTfan4life on Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:16 pm

GREAT TOURNAMENT! Congrats to Langdon on an undefeated season capped by a state championship! The Betty is a great place for a state tournament. Side note - as an old veteran of the Class A North Star Conference, it was interesting to see three of those schools in this tournament - Rugby, Grafton and Langdon.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:39 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Bold prediction....Langdon takes the championship with an average margin of victory for the weekend of 20 points per game. I know there are many good teams at the tourney and it's no knock to them, but Langdon is just on another level right now and I don't see the momentum slowing.

Only 17/game. Weren't even close! :D

Nice tournament by the Cardinals. Long and athletic makes for a pretty impressive defense if the players buy in.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSports » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:42 pm

Defense wins championships. LEM shut down some very good shooters this year and kept the Sieben's relatively quiet in this one. It's impressive how many really good scorers they made noticeably frustrated on the court this year. They gave up over 50 points once this year to Carrington. Demers was a beast and was arguably the best overall player on the court tonight and if she's not in foul trouble I bet the game goes down to the wire.

Side note, LEM with state titles in football, volleyball, and girls basketball this season. Great year for LEM.
NDSports
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:45 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:How many all district players did Langdon Area/Edmore/Munich have?

All 5 starters made the All-District 8 Team: Ronningen (Senior Athlete), Freije, Scherr, Olson, & Lowery)
Per the Cavalier County Extra article after title game

But only 1 on the all region team. Region 4 only selects 7 all region players. As dominant as LEM and 4 Winds were they could have all been from those two teams.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby prairiefox » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:31 am

prairiefox wrote:1. Langdon
2. Grafton
3. Trenton
4. Central Cass
5. Lamoure
6. Rugby
7. Shiloh
8. Hettinger

Going with Landon with average 17 point margins.

Got one pick wrong, Rugby vs Lamoure.
Langdon average margin of 17.33.
prairiefox
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:44 am

MTfan4life wrote:I'll be curious to hear how many turnovers Grafton has had in the second half. Stifling defense combined with some over rushing has led to a barrage of turnovwrs. Possibly more TOs than shots in the 2nd half.

2nd half
19 turnovers
14 FGAs
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby coolhandluke » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:28 am

My disappointment is not the outcome, I had LEM winning. But, many of the supposed "turnovers"
IMO were definitely a result of the change in the way the game was officiated, allowing way too much contact with little to no calls, when the Cardinals turned up the heat on Grafton (good job by coach Scherr). It ruined my expectations of a last second fantastic finish. The game was over basically when It became easier to play aggressively, way too much contact was allowed. Yes, Grafton lost composure, but that is common once it gets out of hand. Oh well, that's why they play the game I guess. It was still a great Class B atmosphere and tournament. Congrats to both teams and coaches on a great season and the LEM Cardinals on their Girls State Class B championship!
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Postby airmail » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:08 pm

And here I thought LEM was getting hosed by non-calls in the first half.

We all have a different perspective, I guess.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby coolhandluke » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:45 pm

I wrote what I did because in my opinion although there will always be calls missed like some in the first half, I'm not so sure any were necessarily one-sided or anyone was 'hosed' as you mention. It seemed to me that it still allowed for a game to be played and stay close, don't think it completely changed the game. Guess I will have to watch it again, you could be right. But, what I was talkng about is basically Langdon did a great job of turning up the heat and Grafton didn't handle it well and the strongest team won ... but on the other hand most high school teams simply can't defend, tie up, etc.as aggressively as LEM did without at least a foul or two that may back them off a bit instead of completely changing the game. I will have to watch it with a few of my much more knowledgeable friends for sure now. Thanks.
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsphenom » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:20 pm

Was not impressed at all by the officiating. I don't think it was one sided at all. I attended every session but the first one and it was the same throughout. Bodies flying, super physical. Don't get me wrong I don't like whistles blowing all the time but by the end of the tournament it was ridiculous. its amazing no one got hurt. It turned into sloppy basketball in some games because there was so much contact allowed. Girls were getting frustrated and I don't blame them. That being said I do think the right team won, just didn't like the style of basketball that transpired over the weekend.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby leroybla » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:19 pm

I expect that a record was set for the number of jump balls called during the tournament.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:15 pm

It has been talked about locally the LEM only had one player on all region tournament. What I have heard couple of schools didn't vote for any LEM players for the region team thus why LEM only having one on the team. If this is true pretty much poor sportsmanship by these schools and it only hurt kids participating in sports don't take it out on them because you have something against school, community, administration, or coach. In the end it will just reflect back to you and how your perceived.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSports » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:23 pm

airmail wrote:And here I thought LEM was getting hosed by non-calls in the first half.

We all have a different perspective, I guess.

I actually mentioned to a friend in the 3rd that I bet LEM saw Demers getting away with some pretty physical play inside and not get called so they amped it up in the 2nd half expecting the same treatment. I thought LEM came out a little passive in the first half and could’ve been because of how many fouls they were getting against Central Cass. It basically turned into a ‘well we know how to be physical too’ type turnaround in the 2nd half though. I thought overall the game was called consistently for both teams at least.
NDSports
NDPreps Rookie

Postby RedDirtFan » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:34 pm

I was glad L-E-M pulled it off, and then of course the post-game interviews were pure gold. The openness displayed by Coach Scherr last night was very moving. That's one of the best class B moments I've ever seen. Good for those kids, good for that community, and good for a guy who's both a good coach and a good man. Congrats to all involved.

On the officiating--it's better to let them play than to affect the outcome of the game because of foul-outs. Class B depth should not be tested in the state tournament if it hasn't been tested regularly all year. No team should show up and face a problem they generally haven't faced in the 20some games prior to the tournament. Nothing egregious was let go. The officials are human. No outcomes were affected. The only really frustrating calls were some of the block/charge calls, but that's been a frustrating call as long as it's existed. You just cross your fingers and hope nobody fouls out on a subjective call. It'll always be that way.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:18 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:I was glad L-E-M pulled it off, and then of course the post-game interviews were pure gold. The openness displayed by Coach Scherr last night was very moving. That's one of the best class B moments I've ever seen. Good for those kids, good for that community, and good for a guy who's both a good coach and a good man. Congrats to all involved.

On the officiating--it's better to let them play than to affect the outcome of the game because of foul-outs. Class B depth should not be tested in the state tournament if it hasn't been tested regularly all year. No team should show up and face a problem they generally haven't faced in the 20some games prior to the tournament. Nothing egregious was let go. The officials are human. No outcomes were affected. The only really frustrating calls were some of the block/charge calls, but that's been a frustrating call as long as it's existed. You just cross your fingers and hope nobody fouls out on a subjective call. It'll always be that way.

I was at the game. What did he say?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSports » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:40 pm

Flip wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:I was glad L-E-M pulled it off, and then of course the post-game interviews were pure gold. The openness displayed by Coach Scherr last night was very moving. That's one of the best class B moments I've ever seen. Good for those kids, good for that community, and good for a guy who's both a good coach and a good man. Congrats to all involved.

I was at the game. What did he say?

He was talking about being the coach to his daughter and talked about it straining their relationship at times. He said he felt he didn’t do a good job as a father at times because he was trying too much on the coaching side... talked about how he brought the ‘coach’ role home too often and how he contemplated not coaching this year because he thought it’d be easier on his daughter for her last season but decided to coach and change his mindset and try to manage the roles better.

He was tearing up the whole time during it and it was brought up because his daughter was interviewed and mentioned that winning a VB state title was great but this one was special because it’s something they did together. It was really a great interview by Scherr.
NDSports
NDPreps Rookie

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:46 am

NDSports wrote:He was talking about being the coach to his daughter and talked about it straining their relationship at times. He said he felt he didn’t do a good job as a father at times because he was trying too much on the coaching side... talked about how he brought the ‘coach’ role home too often and how he contemplated not coaching this year because he thought it’d be easier on his daughter for her last season but decided to coach and change his mindset and try to manage the roles better.

He was tearing up the whole time during it and it was brought up because his daughter was interviewed and mentioned that winning a VB state title was great but this one was special because it’s something they did together. It was really a great interview by Scherr.

This vulnerable moment by Coach Scherr was my favorite of the tournament. Coaching is a tough gig. Everyone thinks they know better than you, everyone wants little Johnny/Sally to be the best player or leading scorer, it is a job set up to make tough decisions which are going to be unpopular, and it is extremely mentally/physically/emotionally draining. Lost in the complaining about playing time, screaming at officials, and attacking coaches and their decisions; is the fact that coaching is a passion not a money making endeavor. No one goes into high school coaching in North Dakota to make money, they do it for the love of the game and to help/impact kids. Coaches understand this when they sign up and they sign up with the understanding that they are going to make a lot of people mad and aren't going to be popular. Coaches know the ramifications of their decisions. The group I really feel awful for when it comes to coaching (because they didn't make the decision) is the family of the coach. A coach's wife/husband goes through so much! They are forced to spend long hours alone while the coach is at practice, watching film, preparing for opponents, traveling to games, etc. Then when they go to watch their spouse do what they love and actually attend a game, they are forced to sit through 2 hours of complaining, questioning, and attacking by the crowd. I know many a coach who won't allow their spouse to attend games or asks them to sit in the visitor section away from the parents. This breaks my heart. Now even worse than that is the children of the coach! They lose their mom/dad for huge periods of time. Many times the coach is out of the house before they wake up and back after they are asleep. They sacrifice so much time with their own kids to help coach your kid! Coach Scherr wasn't talking about the things I mentioned but about the challenges of balancing being a dad/coach to your child. I think what he did though was bring to light for some people that don't spend much time thinking about it how emotionally invested coaches are in their team and athletes. You could see the desperation, anxiety, and passion on both coach's face in the championship and in pre/post game talks. They both wanted to desperately for their team to be successful! Coaching is something we do for others and with others. I wish parents/community members would remember this. The coach is as invested in your kid being successful as you are. It should be a team/community approach with parents, fans, and coaches working together; rather than an adversarial relationship between parents and coaches. I appreciate Coach Scherr being willing to be open and vulnerable on television. It further cemented in my mind that he was a championship coach well before he won that trophy on Saturday. Champions are champions before they win trophies.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:27 am

Extremely well said defensewinsgames. We wonder why fewer people want to enter the coaching field - the time, energy and emotional commitment to the kids and the time away from family is huge. I tip my hat to anyone who wants to enter the coaching field and I wish them well.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby backroads » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:28 am

B-oldtimer wrote:It has been talked about locally the LEM only had one player on all region tournament. What I have heard couple of schools didn't vote for any LEM players for the region team thus why LEM only having one on the team. If this is true pretty much poor sportsmanship by these schools and it only hurt kids participating in sports don't take it out on them because you have something against school, community, administration, or coach. In the end it will just reflect back to you and how your perceived.

My guess is the coaches didn't decide on just stats, they also looked at sportsmanship and attitude towards others. There was another gal that didn't get the nod in Regions as well with huge stats, but not a very healthy attitude towards all others on the court. The "because you have something against" comment is about as tasteful as the skin color comment. Pretty straight forward when the the whole region decides, they chose right.
backroads
NDPreps Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Girls