2019-2020 Region Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2019-2020 Region Tournament

Postby packers21 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:23 am

Flip wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Region 2 needs to find a new venue for their Region Tournament!!! What a joke! Nothing like home field advantage. :roll:

I think this is from 2009. Doesn't anyone remember the signs?

"The only thing you Spoil?" ??
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:33 am

packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Region 2 needs to find a new venue for their Region Tournament!!! What a joke! Nothing like home field advantage. :roll:

I have no skin in the game (potato? :D ) but just wanted to point out that the Region 2 Tourney is at the Betty. I recall playing a District Tourney in a certain venue where the Region Tourney was held and the other District claimed that wasn't fair. Now for the 2nd year in a row Region 2 gets to play where the State B will be held. Any experience isn't bad experience, so it's definitively an advantage.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:38 am

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:

I have no skin in the game (potato? :D ) but just wanted to point out that the Region 2 Tourney is at the Betty. I recall playing a District Tourney in a certain venue where the Region Tourney was held and the other District claimed that wasn't fair. Now for the 2nd year in a row Region 2 gets to play where the State B will be held. Any experience isn't bad experience, so it's definitively an advantage.

The Betty is the best Venue for basketball in the entire state, they should keep the girls state there every year. Atmosphere there last year was electric and it didn't seem to help Thompson there play on the court during regionals. Minot has also held districts, regionals and the state tournament.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby airmail » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:47 am

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
packers21 wrote:Any experience isn't bad experience, so it's definitively an advantage.

Perhaps.
The potential advantage depends on how the teams choose to use it. For instance, last year the Thompson girls weren't allowed to go to watch Friday games together as a team. Nor did they have a team meal, teachers had tests scheduled for them in school, etc. This is all before taking on the eventual state champs in the semifinal that night. In fact, those girls didn't get to have much of a state tournament experience at all and were mad the whole tournament for having to deal with "school stuff".

So say what you want, but being close and familiar with the venue doesn't necessarily guarantee an advantage. Especially when the decision makers treat it like just another batch of home games.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby airmail » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:02 pm

Flip wrote:I would put Grafton above Trenton, but I won't be surprised if Trenton is #3. Grafton lost to undefeated Kindred and undefeated LEM. Also, lost FWM when their best player was sick.

If Trenton doesn't get the 3 as another undefeated team, we can expect to hear a lot about "East Seeding Bias". After all, GHS still lost to FWM - sick or not.

That doesn't bode well for Grafton, IMO - having to likely face a hot LLM team right out of the gate. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:28 pm

I believe last year the problem was the "west seeding bias". If Kindred wins tonight, it will be Regions 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8 that get seeded, as it should be.

Kindred and Langdon will be 1 and 2 (both of them deserve the 1 seed)
Trenton should be the 3
Grafton should be the 4
LaMoure should be the 5

I'm not sure if that's how I would "rank" the teams, but IMO that's how they should be seeded if Kindred wins (if CC wins Move everybody up 1 and CC will be the 5 IMO.)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:34 pm

airmail wrote:
Flip wrote:I would put Grafton above Trenton, but I won't be surprised if Trenton is #3. Grafton lost to undefeated Kindred and undefeated LEM. Also, lost FWM when their best player was sick.

If Trenton doesn't get the 3 as another undefeated team, we can expect to hear a lot about "East Seeding Bias". After all, GHS still lost to FWM - sick or not.

That doesn't bode well for Grafton, IMO - having to likely face a hot LLM team right out of the gate. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Well that bias would be from the coaches, since they vote on the seeds.
I've said it before, but I think Kindred, LEM, and Grafton are the 3 best teams.
Last year there were 2 undefeated teams going into the state tournament and they took 6th and 7th.

edit: Trenton got seeded behind LEM and Thompson last year. Both teams had 2 losses.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:09 pm

Flip wrote:
airmail wrote:

Well that bias would be from the coaches, since they vote on the seeds.
I've said it before, but I think Kindred, LEM, and Grafton are the 3 best teams.
Last year there were 2 undefeated teams going into the state tournament and they took 6th and 7th.

edit: Trenton got seeded behind LEM and Thompson last year. Both teams had 2 losses.

The problem is Region 8 usually doesn't give much competition and other coaches know that too; even if Trenton is a quality team (they are!) they get undervalued because of the Region they play in. That shouldn't happen this year...they are either #3 or #4 IMO.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby justplayalready » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:24 pm

airmail wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
packers21 wrote:Any experience isn't bad experience, so it's definitively an advantage.

Perhaps.
The potential advantage depends on how the teams choose to use it. For instance, last year the Thompson girls weren't allowed to go to watch Friday games together as a team. Nor did they have a team meal, teachers had tests scheduled for them in school, etc. This is all before taking on the eventual state champs in the semifinal that night. In fact, those girls didn't get to have much of a state tournament experience at all and were mad the whole tournament for having to deal with "school stuff".

So say what you want, but being close and familiar with the venue doesn't necessarily guarantee an advantage. Especially when the decision makers treat it like just another batch of home games.

My 2 cents on 2 of these issues I've always had.

First, no region tourney should be played at the State site for Class B Basketball, boys or girls...For those playing districts, no district tourneys should be played at the Region site. Should be enough sites to make this work( Im talking to you R6) and no team should host regions in own gym(R7)...Simple, Done.

Second the pre game jitters should be equal for all....Teams stay at 2 or 3 approved motels near site of the B...beginning Wed night(I'll argue that there should be an event that Wed night for all to make it special, but I want to remain all inclusive so I wont), So if Ryan is playing at Dome, they stay at motel like everyone else for example...Team Breakfast, morning shoot around(At the site of the B), etc are all scheduled accordingly to game times Etc Etc. It's not a regular game day, but a special, memorable day, and if you're nervous and excited you should be...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:30 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I'd say seeds are this (IF Kindred wins)
1. Langdon/E/M
2. Kindred
3. Trenton
4. Grafton
5. LaMoure-LM

IF Central Cass wins
1. Langdon/E/M
2. Trenton
3. Grafton
4. LaMoure-LM
5. Central Cass or Rugby

Very confused by this one. Kindred is #1 all year, has not lost, last year State Champs and you are going to move Landgon to the 1 seed????
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:40 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
1. Langdon/E/M
2. Kindred
3. Trenton
4. Grafton
5. LaMoure-LM

IF Central Cass wins
1. Langdon/E/M
2. Trenton
3. Grafton
4. LaMoure-LM
5. Central Cass or Rugby

Very confused by this one. Kindred is #1 all year, has not lost, last year State Champs and you are going to move Landgon to the 1 seed????

Just feel like Langdon has been playing better as of late...both are deserving. Just my opinion that Langdon has been on a roll since VB season; just drubbed a good FWM team by 28 in the Region 4 Championship.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:The problem is Region 8 usually doesn't give much competition and other coaches know that too; even if Trenton is a quality team (they are!) they get undervalued because of the Region they play in. That shouldn't happen this year...they are either #3 or #4 IMO.

I agree that Trenton is good. Their PG is very fun to watch. They were a Justin Farkas away from playing in the semi finals last year and returned everyone. I hope this year the semi finals include Kindred, Langdon, Grafton and Trenton.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:46 pm

justplayalready wrote:
airmail wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:

Perhaps.

My 2 cents on 2 of these issues I've always had.

First, no region tourney should be played at the State site for Class B Basketball, boys or girls...For those playing districts, no district tourneys should be played at the Region site. Should be enough sites to make this work( Im talking to you R6) and no team should host regions in own gym(R7)...Simple, Done.

Second the pre game jitters should be equal for all....Teams stay at 2 or 3 approved motels near site of the B...beginning Wed night(I'll argue that there should be an event that Wed night for all to make it special, but I want to remain all inclusive so I wont), So if Ryan is playing at Dome, they stay at motel like everyone else for example...Team Breakfast, morning shoot around(At the site of the B), etc are all scheduled accordingly to game times Etc Etc. It's not a regular game day, but a special, memorable day, and if you're nervous and excited you should be...

100% agree with everything you said! I also agree the Betty is a GREAT venue for the Girls State B.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:46 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
1. Langdon/E/M
2. Kindred
3. Trenton
4. Grafton
5. LaMoure-LM

IF Central Cass wins
1. Langdon/E/M
2. Trenton
3. Grafton
4. LaMoure-LM
5. Central Cass or Rugby

I can see it. Look who Langdon beat: Shiloh/Thompson/Kidder County/Carrington/Stephen-Argyle/Hettinger/Grafton/Velva/Four Winds twice. They plowed through the Region, beating #6 in the state by 28.

That's 9 games against really good competition.

Kindred has beat Grafton/Shiloh/Thompson/LLM/Barnsville

I'd say strength of schedule favors Langdon. Either one or the other is deserving of #1.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:42 pm

REGION 1 CHAMPIONSHIP
#1 Kindred 46
#2 Central Cass 46
End of 3rd Quarter
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:57 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:REGION 1 CHAMPIONSHIP
#1 Kindred 46
#2 Central Cass 46
End of 3rd Quarter

REGION 1 CHAMPIONSHIP
#2 Central Cass 62
#1 Kindred 57
1:55 left in Regulation
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:06 pm

#2 Central Cass 68
#1 Kindred 61
FINAL
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby leroybla » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:09 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:#2 Central Cass 68
#1 Kindred 61
FINAL

Unbelievable upset!
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:01 pm

did BEK or Midco televise the final?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:46 pm

vikingman wrote:did BEK or Midco televise the final?

Region 1 GBB Championship - there was no video streaming of the tournament; all updates came from Radio broadcasting
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Previous

Return to Girls