2018-19 ALL-STATE TEAM

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2018-19 ALL-STATE TEAM

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:09 pm

FIRST TEAM
Abby Duchscherer, Kindred (Fr.)**
Kaity Hove, Trenton (Jr.)
Callie Ronningen, Langdon/Edmore/Munich (Jr.)
Madelyn Schmidt, Kidder County (So.)
Sam Oase, Hettinger-Scranton (So.)

** = Unanimous

SECOND TEAM
Emma Passa, Velva (Jr.)
Carlee Sieben, Grafton (So.)
Isabelle Boyer, Grant County (So.)
Amanda Roller, Oak Grove (Sr.)
Mackenzie Hughes, Thompson (So.)
Alyssa Andress, Hettinger-Scranton (Jr.)
Megan Roob, Richland (Fr.)
Nicole Schmitz, Oakes (Jr.)
Anni Stier, Rugby (Sr.)
Leah Feland, Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood (Jr.)
Ellie Holen, LaMoure-LM (Jr.)
Abbey Kubas, Dickinson Trinity (So.)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2018-19 ALL-STATE TEAM

Postby ninja_joe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:55 pm

Wow! There sure is alot of young talent out there in class B this year. 15 of the 17 players selected are underclassman. Some very good players on this list too. 8 kids whose teams made the state B--4 others I believe whose teams involved in close regional finals. Nice. Congrats to all!
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:31 pm

ninja_joe wrote:Wow! There sure is alot of young talent out there in class B this year. 15 of the 17 players selected are underclassman. Some very good players on this list too. 8 kids whose teams made the state B--4 others I believe whose teams involved in close regional finals. Nice. Congrats to all!

This thoroughly explains why there were ZERO Ms. Basketball finalists from Class B...there should be several in the near future.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 am

So FWM plays probably the toughest schedule in the state, beats teams that went to State, was ranked most of the year and was in the region championship game but has no players on the team. No one can tell me Myona D or Tasha B are not better than half the players on the all state team.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41 am

nativegolfer wrote:So FWM plays probably the toughest schedule in the state, beats teams that went to State, was ranked most of the year and was in the region championship game but has no players on the team. No one can tell me Myona D or Tasha B are not better than half the players on the all state team.

May want to talk to the Region Representatives that nominate athletes to make sure they were on the ballot (I don’t remember the ballot since it was voted on before girls State tourney). Sadly, this team is most likely chosen based off of individual stats and not necessarily how the team does.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby prairiefox » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 pm

It's all politics. Remember they are voted on by peoples opinions, the players popularity, who gets the most exposure from TV, newspaper, radio.

I will never compare players to other players.
This award is not necessarily earned. There are players that are good enough to make this list that dont.

The class B senior athlete of the year didnt make the list but two other seniors did. Not saying they didnt deserve it. It is what it is.

No different than the teams being voted on in polls. It's all opinion and all they see is records. Most of these teams or players are never seen by most of the voters. Good teams and players get overlooked that dont get the exposure that other teams do.
prairiefox
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:39 pm

These are the players that before each game the opposing coach tells their players.... If we can shut her down... we have a chance.... or We can not stop her from scoring but let's limit her ability to make plays for others.
It is not all about how many points they score. It does not matter if they take 25 shots a game and score 20 a game. They are not on the all state team. Coaches look at these kids and say.... I would love to have her on my team.
And yes.... it is about filling up the stat sheet. If you have 20 points 12 boards 7 steals and 8 assists and 4 blocks..... you will make all state no matter how bad the rest of your team is.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:00 pm

You had some very deserving Native American girls who were overlooked in addition to the FWM players. Tasha Thunderhawks team played in the regional final and Maddie Leaf from Warwick scored 2500+ points in her career. I may have left a few out, but the lack of diversity in the selections is not good.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:04 pm

nativegolfer wrote:You had some very deserving Native American girls who were overlooked in addition to the FWM players. Tasha Thunderhawks team played in the regional final and Maddie Leaf from Warwick scored 2500+ points in her career. I may have left a few out, but the lack of diversity in the selections is not good.

I haven't seen the FW players, but Leaf never making it seems like an oversight. Gourd(sp) didn't make it 2 years ago either did she? The boys have received recognition over the years.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wildcat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:01 am

The lack of diversity? Isn't this the same group of voters that put Lilly Keplin and Lauren Ware on the Class A all-state first team? I think it seems a little short-sighted to assume that played any role in it whatsoever. Jason Feather, Melvin Langstaff, Christine Miller...all won Mr./Miss Basketball.

Every year, there are kids left off that are deserving to that town's fans. This year is no exception.

A long time ago, I was a member of the media. I can tell you that when coaches vote all-state for football, the region coaches vote on the best at each position by tabulating votes. I think it would shock many of you to learn that most of the media does it the exact same way. I know I always did. Rarely ever did I override a coaches vote. I tabulated it like a poll with votes and sent that poll back to all the coaches to let them know how they voted as a group (can't vote for your own), and I went off that. It's amazing what you can accomplish with email. I know a good chunk of the media does it similar in some form or another.

A problem that can arise here is the idea that production doesn't matter. A player from a good team averages 10 points, 8 rebounds, and their coach says, "If he played for that bad team, he'd score 22 points a game." OK, but if you're going to downgrade someone who actually did score 22 points a game in another region in the state without knowing much about them or the competition they played, it's not going to play as well with me. Production does matter in individual awards. It absolutely does. "Well he WOULD have done this" is not the same as actually doing it.

I would say that every year Region 8 has 3-4 girls or boys that average 20 points a game. Yet, Region 8 doesn't often get as many all-state selections. There is a long list of kids in the state averaging 18+ ppg a night that don't get all-state. I once had a kid average 29 ppg that wasn't even a top six player in the region, by my standards, and by the coaches' standards. He mostly did it against bad competition (playing some of them twice).

I'm not saying the media doesn't make mistakes. I can't speak for all media members, but I always went to the coaches first. It's a more thorough process than you might think.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HONKER » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Wildcat wrote:The lack of diversity? Isn't this the same group of voters that put Lilly Keplin and Lauren Ware on the Class A all-state first team? I think it seems a little short-sighted to assume that played any role in it whatsoever. Jason Feather, Melvin Langstaff, Christine Miller...all won Mr./Miss Basketball.

Every year, there are kids left off that are deserving to that town's fans. This year is no exception.

A long time ago, I was a member of the media. I can tell you that when coaches vote all-state for football, the region coaches vote on the best at each position by tabulating votes. I think it would shock many of you to learn that most of the media does it the exact same way. I know I always did. Rarely ever did I override a coaches vote. I tabulated it like a poll with votes and sent that poll back to all the coaches to let them know how they voted as a group (can't vote for your own), and I went off that. It's amazing what you can accomplish with email. I know a good chunk of the media does it similar in some form or another.

A problem that can arise here is the idea that production doesn't matter. A player from a good team averages 10 points, 8 rebounds, and their coach says, "If he played for that bad team, he'd score 22 points a game." OK, but if you're going to downgrade someone who actually did score 22 points a game in another region in the state without knowing much about them or the competition they played, it's not going to play as well with me. Production does matter in individual awards. It absolutely does. "Well he WOULD have done this" is not the same as actually doing it.

I would say that every year Region 8 has 3-4 girls or boys that average 20 points a game. Yet, Region 8 doesn't often get as many all-state selections. There is a long list of kids in the state averaging 18+ ppg a night that don't get all-state. I once had a kid average 29 ppg that wasn't even a top six player in the region, by my standards, and by the coaches' standards. He mostly did it against bad competition (playing some of them twice).

I'm not saying the media doesn't make mistakes. I can't speak for all media members, but I always went to the coaches first. It's a more thorough process than you might think.

The thing that bothers me about all state selections its always about offense it doesn't matter what they do on defense. I've seen all state players that just couldn't play defense and really good defensive players never get a look.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:07 pm

HONKER wrote:The thing that bothers me about all state selections its always about offense it doesn't matter what they do on defense. I've seen all state players that just couldn't play defense and really good defensive players never get a look.

Shaice Marx, would be the exception to the rule.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:12 pm

Flip wrote:
HONKER wrote:The thing that bothers me about all state selections its always about offense it doesn't matter what they do on defense. I've seen all state players that just couldn't play defense and really good defensive players never get a look.

Shaice Marx, would be the exception to the rule.

And she was a Ms. Basketball finalist as well
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Wildcat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:57 am

The thing that bothers me about all state selections its always about offense it doesn't matter what they do on defense. I've seen all state players that just couldn't play defense and really good defensive players never get a look.

I understand what you're saying, but when coaches talk to the media, this also comes up. It's part of it. Most of the time, the players on the all-state list are good defensive players, typically because they're self-motivated and driven to win. It's not in them to just give up a ton of points on defense. I know my coaches always pointed out the players who only cared about offense in their rankings, and that affected those rankings.

A player who is bad offensively and amazing defensively...there are much more of those than there are 20 ppg scorers in North Dakota, at least in my years of covering high school basketball. Many good teams have at least two excellent stoppers. Honoring them is the same problem we see in many sports i.e. a great centerfielder who can't hit his weight. It's not a problem exclusive to basketball, that's for sure.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Girls