2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby justplayalready » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Flip wrote:Thoughts on Rugby? Been to state 3 of the last 4 years. The previous 2 times I was expecting them to do better, based off their record. Were they just not that good or did they under-perform to their abilities?

first year they played a Shiloh team tough...I think they played in final game....Last year lost to a tough Killdeer team. In hindsight last year was seeded wrong??? don't think they under-performed..

Maybe this year less first day jitters and can stay out of sunshine bracket..overall this year looks wide open
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby aNDkid91 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:18 pm

Thundersnow wrote:"All Hettinger-Scranton (or any team) needs to do is get Trenton a little flustered and they’ll earn the win."

I don't see it this way. They've been flustered by Stanley (twice), Rugby, Mandaree, and Parshall (3 times). They've taken everybody's best shot, including trailing by 14 in the Region 8 championship game and they're still undefeated. This team is incredibly well-coached and prepared. I'm not saying they're unbeatable, but you'll have to do more than fluster the Tigers to hand them their first loss of the year.

Region 8 is a weak region. I don’t think being the undefeated team coming from a weaker region can be considered better than being a team with a few loses from a stronger region. IMO they did not look composed playing Stanley or Parshall in the region tourney.

Can someone please explain this anti-west sentiment?

I’m from a Region 8 school. No anti-west sentiment from me. I hope Trenton does great! Just a humble observation. Also, west region schools IMO are schools from Region 7 and 8.
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

Postby aNDkid91 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:30 pm

theman wrote:
aNDkid91 wrote:
Sorenson23 wrote:Predictions

1. Trenton
2. Thompson
3. Kidder County
4. Kindred
5. Hettinger-Scranton
6. Langdon-Edmore-Munich
7. Rugby
8. Shiloh Christian

I'm staying with my pick the Trenton Tigers. But if Hettinger-Scranton beats Trenton then I'll go for Hettinger-Scranton.

All Hettinger-Scranton (or any team) needs to do is get Trenton a little flustered and they’ll earn the win. Both semifinal and championship games saw Trenton fighting hard for their wins.

I agree with the poster before me. You contradicted yourself. It's true that Trenton has had to play quite a few close games lately, but the fact that they've won ALL of them means there is a low probability of them getting frustrated and losing their composure, like you suggest.

While a win is a win, they weren’t pretty wins at all. I’m not sure if you saw the Region 8 games or not but when you can have the ball literally taken out of your hands, or you start to make stupid fouls, or you don’t run back on defense because the ball was stolen from you, you are not playing like a well coached, composed team. During the Stanley game, Trenton was ahead but when Stanley started to catch up it was obvious they were getting flustered. You’re ahead, take some time off the clock, watch your passes, and put up a safe shot. Play smart, not helter-skelter...
Last edited by aNDkid91 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

Postby PR24 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Surprised nobody is picking Langdon or Thompson - Played ranked teams all year. Don't know anything about the west teams but undefeated is undefeated until someones beats them.

And, should Bottineau, Shiloh and Bishop be considered West - I don't really think so.
PR24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Dakotastater » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:41 pm

Fargo Forum story about Abby Duchscherer and the Kindred team. 1000 points as a freshman isn't too shabby.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/basketba ... tournament
Dakotastater
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:04 pm

PR24 wrote:Surprised nobody is picking Langdon or Thompson

I think Thompson is the slight favorite over Langdon. If both teams get to the semi finals I think Langdon should be the favorite.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby jimthometwins » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:56 am

1. Thompson
2. Kidder
3. Kindred
4. HS
5. Langdon Area
6. Rugby
7.Trenton
8. Shiloh
jimthometwins
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Class B » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:04 am

PR24 wrote:
And, should Bottineau, Shiloh and Bishop be considered West - I don't really think so.

Let me contribute to this off topic, west/east "overthinkfest".

Maybe not Bottineau, but Shiloh and Ryan (Bismarck and Minot, for that matter) certainly identify themselves more with the west than the east. For many of the ND Geography buffs, when you cross 83 you are considered in the "west". Towns like Surrey and Velva, which are about 10-12 miles east of Hwy 83 as the crow flies, also like to consider themselves western towns.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:38 am

Predictions Bolded
G1: #2 Langdon/Edmore/Munich vs. Kindred - LEM has had 1st Rd problems in the past so would not be shocked to see Kindred win
G2: #3 Thompson vs. Shiloh Christian
G3: #1 Kidder County vs. Rugby
G4: #4 Trenton vs. #5 Hettinger-Scranton

Friday, March 1st
G5: Kindred vs Shiloh
G6: #4 Trenton vs Rugby
G7: #3 Thompson vs #2 Langdon/Edmore/Munich
G8: #5 Hettinger-Scranton vs #1 Kidder County

Saturday, March 2nd
7th Place: Rugby vs Shiloh
5th Place: Kindred vs #4 Trenton
3rd Place: #2 Langdon/Edmore/Munich vs #1 Kidder County
Championship: #3 Thompson vs #5 Hettinger-Scranton

Top half of bracket is very interesting...bottom half is a bit more of an unknown IMO
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:11 pm

Flip wrote:

I think Thompson is the slight favorite over Langdon. If both teams get to the semi finals I think Langdon should be the favorite.

Huh?
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:17 pm

OldSchoolBaller wrote:
Flip wrote:

Huh?

Yeah that doesn’t make any sense
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:11 pm

OldSchoolBaller wrote:Huh?

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Yeah that doesn’t make any sense
scc wrote:I think what he is saying is Thompson is the favorite to win it all, unless Langdon beats Kindred, which is certainly not a given.

Basically what SCC is saying.
I think there is a 90% chance Thompson is in semi-finals. I think there is a 55% chance Langdon is. If Thompson and Langdon play I think Langdon wins 55% of the time.
Chances of Landgon beating Kindred and Thompson is 55% x 55% = 30%.
Chances of Thompson beating Shiloh and Landgon is 90% x 45% = 41%.
It only doesn't make sense if you think Kindred is equal to Shiloh.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:19 pm

LEM has very good team but they are still very young team with some experience and I believe that why they have had problems in past first round. You never know how kids will respond with nerves in opening round games especially when they are all young. This years team has two juniors, two sophomores, and one freshman starting with first girl off the bench being 7 grader. My understanding is that Kindred has some younger players also but I do see they have a senior on the team so I think this makes a difference. The Ronnigen girl for LEM is now playing in her third state tournament as a junior but same can be said for number of the Kindred girls playing. I think this game comes down to who can play there normal game and shoot ball well. This is why I call this game toss up because both these teams are loaded with talent.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:26 pm

Flip wrote:
OldSchoolBaller wrote:Huh?

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Yeah that doesn’t make any sense
scc wrote:I think what he is saying is Thompson is the favorite to win it all, unless Langdon beats Kindred, which is certainly not a given.

Basically what SCC is saying.
I think there is a 90% chance Thompson is in semi-finals. I think there is a 55% chance Langdon is. If Thompson and Langdon play I think Langdon wins 55% of the time.
Chances of Landgon beating Kindred and Thompson is 55% x 55% = 30%.
Chances of Thompson beating Shiloh and Landgon is 90% x 45% = 41%.
It only doesn't make sense if you think Kindred is equal to Shiloh.

Flip wrote:I think Thompson is the slight favorite over Langdon. If both teams get to the semi finals I think Langdon should be the favorite.

Just didn't seem clear when you stated Thompson is slight favorite over Langdon but Langdon was the favorite...in words that was contradicting to me.

Putting it to Quantitative thinking helped clear the wording up :lol: Numbers & facts always make things clearer :wink:
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:30 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:The Ronnigen girl for LEM is now playing in her third state tournament

2nd, unless you count other sports.
This will be Scherr's 4th state tournament, I don't think she played much as an 8th grader though.

edit: was Ronnigen on the Lakota team as a 7th grader?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:16 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:LEM has very good team but they are still very young team with some experience and I believe that why they have had problems in past first round. You never know how kids will respond with nerves in opening round games especially when they are all young. This years team has two juniors, two sophomores, and one freshman starting with first girl off the bench being 7 grader. My understanding is that Kindred has some younger players also but I do see they have a senior on the team so I think this makes a difference. The Ronnigen girl for LEM is now playing in her third state tournament as a junior but same can be said for number of the Kindred girls playing. I think this game comes down to who can play there normal game and shoot ball well. This is why I call this game toss up because both these teams are loaded with talent.

Kindred starts 3 Freshman with State Tournament experience. The senior is a roll player but with experience at state including a state Championship. Langdon has been there as well. Depends how well the benches play and if they let Langdon beat up on Abby. If the ref's call that stuff.... LEM will go down.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:54 pm

It was Lakota/Edmore team not Lakota team and for the record three of top 5 were from Edmore led by Freije girl.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:06 pm

I find it a tad bit ridiculous that we are playing this state tournament in Grand Forks. Fans from Hettinger/Scranton have to drive over 6 hours to get there. Could you imagine if they played a state basketball tournament in Dickinson?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsfan111 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:06 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:It was Lakota/Edmore team not Lakota team and for the record three of top 5 were from Edmore led by Freije girl.

Curious why did Langdon need an Edmore co-op more than Lakota?
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:20 pm

sportsfan111 wrote:Curious why did Langdon need an Edmore co-op more than Lakota?

I don't have any inside information, but logic tells me Edmore wanted out of the Lakota co-op. Landgon gladly took them.

Lakota need girls. I think they had 1 girl play in JH.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Thundersnow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Here are my predictions:

Kindred over Langdon-Edmore-Munich
Thompson over Shiloh Christian
Kidder County over Rugby
Trenton over Hettinger-Scranton

Langdon-Edmore-Munich over Shiloh Christian
Hettinger-Scranton over Rugby
Thompson over Kindred
Trenton over Kidder County

Rugby over Shiloh Christian
Hettinger-Scranton over Langdon-Edmore-Munich
Kindred over Kidder County
Thompson over Trenton
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:35 pm

The Schwab wrote:I find it a tad bit ridiculous that we are playing this state tournament in Grand Forks. Fans from Hettinger/Scranton have to drive over 6 hours to get there. Could you imagine if they played a state basketball tournament in Dickinson?

Honestly I'd be fine with wherever they weren't hosting WDA tournament (If WDA was in Bismarck...then Class B State is in Minot; and vice versa). State is a long trip for 2 or 3 teams every year no matter where it's hosted...but it should be hosted by the sites that do a good job and that's Bismarck & Minot IMO (Added Context to last statement: I've been to State Tournaments in Fargo, GF, Bismarck & Minot over the past decade.)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Most teams don't care where they have to go this time of the year, as long as their still playing basketball! When you see the amount of fans that Hettinger-Scranton will have there, just remember they traveled a long way to get there. As far as travel goes, 3-4 hours is acceptable, but over 6 is a little ridiculous. Just my two cents.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:43 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Honestly I'd be fine with wherever they weren't hosting WDA tournament (If WDA was in Bismarck...then Class B State is in Minot; and vice versa). State is a long trip for 2 or 3 teams every year no matter where it's hosted...but it should be hosted by the sites that do a good job and that's Bismarck & Minot IMO (Added Context to last statement: I've been to State Tournaments in Fargo, GF, Bismarck & Minot over the past decade.)

WDA is always in Bismarck, correct?
Do you think a move to the Betty could change your opinion on a GF tournament?
I'd like to see the SHAC get state tournaments.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby aNDkid91 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:53 pm

The Schwab wrote:I find it a tad bit ridiculous that we are playing this state tournament in Grand Forks. Fans from Hettinger/Scranton have to drive over 6 hours to get there. Could you imagine if they played a state basketball tournament in Dickinson?

I agree. It needs to be more centrally located (Minot or Bismarck.)
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls