2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:29 pm

STATE TOURNEY
@ Betty Engelstad Arena, Grand Forks

Thursday, February 28th
G1: Kindred def. #2 Langdon/Edmore/Munich 58-43
G2: #3 Thompson def. Shiloh Christian 67-23
G3: Rugby def. #1 Kidder County 47-39
G4: #5 Hettinger-Scranton def. #4 Trenton 48-44 F/OT

Friday, March 1st
G5: #2 Langdon/Edmore/Munich def. Shiloh Christian 48-34
G6: #1 Kidder County def. #4 Trenton 46-30
G7: Kindred def. #3 Thompson 56-54
G8: Rugby def. #5 Hettinger-Scranton 42-35

Saturday, March 2nd
7th Place: #4 Trenton def. Shiloh Christian 45-31
5th Place: #2 Langdon/Edmore/Munich def. #1 Kidder County 53-42
3rd Place: #3 Thompson def. #5 Hettinger-Scranton 52-46
Championship: Kindred def. Rugby 49-47

1st: Kindred (23-3)
2nd: Rugby (22-5)
3rd: Thompson (23-3)
4th: Hettinger-Scranton (23-3)
5th: Langdon/Edmore/Munich (23-3)
6th: Kidder County (25-2)
7th: Trenton (25-2)
8th: Shiloh Christian (18-9)

Senior Athlete of the Year: Taylor Zak, Thompson
Coach of the Year: Dan Welder, Kidder County

All-Tournament Team
Kindred: Abby Duchscherer, Terryn Johnson
Rugby: Anni Stier
Thompson: Mackenzie Hughes, Kaia Sorby
Hettinger-Scranton: Samantha Oase, Alyssa Andress
Langdon/Edmore/Munich: Callie Ronningen
Kidder County: Madelyn Schmidt
Trenton: Kaity Hove

Tournament MVP: Abby Duchscherer, Kindred
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14695
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Class B » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Rugby an 8 seed?!?! oofff....
Class B
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm
Location: The Souris Valley

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Class B wrote:Rugby an 8 seed?!?! oofff....


1st of 3 teams drawn randomly out of a hat...they only seed the Top 5.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14695
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:27 pm

Class B wrote:Rugby an 8 seed?!?! oofff....

I think if they seed it 1-8, they end up 7.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3922
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Sorenson23 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:28 pm

Predictions

1. Trenton
2. Thompson
3. Kidder County
4. Kindred
5. Hettinger-Scranton
6. Langdon-Edmore-Munich
7. Rugby
8. Shiloh Christian

I'm staying with my pick the Trenton Tigers. But if Hettinger-Scranton beats Trenton then I'll go for Hettinger-Scranton.
Sorenson23
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:31 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby justplayalready » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Flip wrote:
Class B wrote:Rugby an 8 seed?!?! oofff....

I think if they seed it 1-8, they end up 7.


logic would say this... :D

Rugby's losses have all been on Saturday...unbeaten all other days of the week. So:
1. Dunno
2. Rugby
3-8 No Idea
User avatar
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:05 am

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby yellowjacket » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:52 pm

Looking at common opponents( Harvey and Carrington), Rugby struggled with Harvey and lost to Carrington while KC handled Harvey with ease and beat Carrington. So I will take KC over Rugby. Have not seen any other teams so will say Thompson, LEM, and Trenton in other matchups.
yellowjacket
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:07 am

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby sportsfan111 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:28 pm

yellowjacket wrote:Looking at common opponents( Harvey and Carrington), Rugby struggled with Harvey and lost to Carrington while KC handled Harvey with ease and beat Carrington. So I will take KC over Rugby. Have not seen any other teams so will say Thompson, LEM, and Trenton in other matchups.


Carrington beat Rugby by very few, KC beat Carrington by very few. To me, KC has more balance- everyone that plays can shoot the heck out of the ball. KC could run into trouble with their lack of depth (play about 6). Rugby will have the speed advantage. I want to go with the upset but my gut says Kidder will slide by.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:43 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:06 pm

I got to believe this is going to be very competitive state tournament this year. Langdon vs Kindred should be very close game they match up well against each other and based on common opponents they would also indicate close game. Thompson should be favored in this game and especially after just playing on the Betty. Kidder county vs Rugby again should be very competitive game. Then there's Trenton vs Hettinger Scranton both with impressive records my guess it will be close game and see who get over tournament nerves. I think you could play tournament several times and no won would repeat because I think this very balance tournament no clear cut favorite to win the title.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby aNDkid91 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:16 am

Sorenson23 wrote:Predictions

1. Trenton
2. Thompson
3. Kidder County
4. Kindred
5. Hettinger-Scranton
6. Langdon-Edmore-Munich
7. Rugby
8. Shiloh Christian

I'm staying with my pick the Trenton Tigers. But if Hettinger-Scranton beats Trenton then I'll go for Hettinger-Scranton.

All Hettinger-Scranton (or any team) needs to do is get Trenton a little flustered and they’ll earn the win. Both semifinal and championship games saw Trenton fighting hard for their wins.
aNDkid91
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:04 am

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Thundersnow » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:52 am

"All Hettinger-Scranton (or any team) needs to do is get Trenton a little flustered and they’ll earn the win."

I don't see it this way. They've been flustered by Stanley (twice), Rugby, Mandaree, and Parshall (3 times). They've taken everybody's best shot, including trailing by 14 in the Region 8 championship game and they're still undefeated. This team is incredibly well-coached and prepared. I'm not saying they're unbeatable, but you'll have to do more than fluster the Tigers to hand them their first loss of the year.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby theman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:52 am

aNDkid91 wrote:
Sorenson23 wrote:Predictions

1. Trenton
2. Thompson
3. Kidder County
4. Kindred
5. Hettinger-Scranton
6. Langdon-Edmore-Munich
7. Rugby
8. Shiloh Christian

I'm staying with my pick the Trenton Tigers. But if Hettinger-Scranton beats Trenton then I'll go for Hettinger-Scranton.

All Hettinger-Scranton (or any team) needs to do is get Trenton a little flustered and they’ll earn the win. Both semifinal and championship games saw Trenton fighting hard for their wins.

I agree with the poster before me. You contradicted yourself. It's true that Trenton has had to play quite a few close games lately, but the fact that they've won ALL of them means there is a low probability of them getting frustrated and losing their composure, like you suggest.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby vikingman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:06 am

I will be surprised if Trenton wins more than 1 game, and I think there's a good chance they will go winless. They played no one that was in the final top 10, and only Rugby that was RV (won by 2). Whether it's basketball or volleyball, I've seen too many western teams with great records get trounced once they get to a state tourney (exception for private schools like B.R.)
vikingman
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby airmail » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:01 pm

vikingman wrote:Whether it's basketball or volleyball, I've seen too many western teams with great records get trounced once they get to a state tourney (exception for private schools like B.R.)


Grant County (1st), Killdeer (2nd), and Medina (3rd) seemed to do okay in last year's GBB tourney... :D :wink:
airmail
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:19 pm

airmail wrote:
vikingman wrote:Whether it's basketball or volleyball, I've seen too many western teams with great records get trounced once they get to a state tourney (exception for private schools like B.R.)


Grant County (1st), Killdeer (2nd), and Medina (3rd) seemed to do okay in last year's GBB tourney... :D :wink:


Beach has had some good showings...Bottineau back in the day went 3 in a row...Watford City has had some decent showings as well.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14695
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:44 pm

I'm going out on a limb and saying that whatever team wins the Trenton/Hettinger-Scranton matchup is winning the whole thing. I have a feeling an overlooked team will again take it all home.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3747
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Wilbur » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:07 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
airmail wrote:
vikingman wrote:Whether it's basketball or volleyball, I've seen too many western teams with great records get trounced once they get to a state tourney (exception for private schools like B.R.)


Grant County (1st), Killdeer (2nd), and Medina (3rd) seemed to do okay in last year's GBB tourney... :D :wink:


Beach has had some good showings...Bottineau back in the day went 3 in a row...Watford City has had some decent showings as well.



There were two West teams in the finals last year. One seeded and the other not. Not saying I think Trenton will win it all, but any team that comes into the State Tournament unbeaten has accomplished a pretty big feat already. I don’t know how you can overlook a 24-0 team, anyway. I guess that is a good way to make them 25-0.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:25 pm

Thoughts on Rugby? Been to state 3 of the last 4 years. The previous 2 times I was expecting them to do better, based off their record. Were they just not that good or did they under-perform to their abilities?
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3922
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Thundersnow » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:36 pm

vikingman wrote:I will be surprised if Trenton wins more than 1 game, and I think there's a good chance they will go winless. They played no one that was in the final top 10, and only Rugby that was RV (won by 2). Whether it's basketball or volleyball, I've seen too many western teams with great records get trounced once they get to a state tourney (exception for private schools like B.R.)


Can someone please explain this anti-west sentiment?
Here's a look at some state champions since 2006.:

2006 - Bottineau
2007 - Bottineau over New Salem
2008 - Bottineau over Bowman County
2010 - Beach
2013 - Bishop Ryan
2014 - Bishop Ryan over Shiloh Christian
2015 - Bishop Ryan
2016 - Shiloh Christian over Watford City
2018 - Grant County over Killdeer

9 of the last 13 state champions have come from the west, including 5 all-west state championship games. This notion that the east is the ACC and Big 12 while the west is some mid-major just doesn't make sense. I know the polls play a role in this mindset. I guarantee that if Trenton had stubbed their toe and actually lost to Stanley, Parshall, Rugby or Mandaree they would've fallen out of the top 10 and been unseeded going to state.

One last point about western teams playing well at state. A lot of these state tournaments were played in Fargo and Grand Forks. I know it will never happen, but I would love it if state got hosted in Dickinson or Williston just once. Hearing folks from Regions 1 & 2 complain about having to drive past Bismarck would be a tad humorous to me.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
airmail wrote:
vikingman wrote:Whether it's basketball or volleyball, I've seen too many western teams with great records get trounced once they get to a state tourney (exception for private schools like B.R.)


Grant County (1st), Killdeer (2nd), and Medina (3rd) seemed to do okay in last year's GBB tourney... :D :wink:


Beach has had some good showings...Bottineau back in the day went 3 in a row...Watford City has had some decent showings as well.


I wouldn't consider Medina or Bottineau as being from the west -
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Thundersnow » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:50 pm

I don't consider Medina to be west either. However, Bottineau plays in Region 6. Does west only include Regions 7 and 8?
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:59 pm

Thundersnow wrote:Can someone please explain this anti-west sentiment?

He did say when you take out the private schools. It does look different when you take out Ryan and Shiloh.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3922
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:03 pm

Thundersnow wrote:I don't consider Medina to be west either. However, Bottineau plays in Region 6. Does west only include Regions 7 and 8?


He included Ryan in the discussion so R5 & R6 seemed to be included IMO
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14695
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby NodakQ2 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:45 pm

Flip wrote:Thoughts on Rugby? Been to state 3 of the last 4 years. The previous 2 times I was expecting them to do better, based off their record. Were they just not that good or did they under-perform to their abilities?


I've seen Rugby play a couple times this year and I was impressed. Tough draw for KC and wouldn't be surprised if Rugby gives them a run or even beats them. I was also impressed with KC the 4 times I saw them play. I think it will be a battle. This year's tournament has a lot of parity. Should be a good one. In fact I think there's 7 teams in this tourney that can legitimately win it.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby Class B » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Rugby beat a tough Velva team to get there. If you play the common opponents game with Velva and some of the other state qualifiers, you will realize how good of a win that was.

Don't sleep on Rugby. They have length and athletism... pick your poison. They are very difficult to defend.
Class B
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm
Location: The Souris Valley

Next

Return to Girls

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest