Numbers

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Numbers

Postby boblee » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:40 am

I have also seen this the other way. The younger kids are definitely more talented, but the coach insists on playing older kids. Then kids of all ages end up quitting.

maddog1971 wrote:So yes numbers are problems. Coaches see the talent coming up and they bring them up and play them. Then the Juniors or even seniors quit. So basically if your 8th Grader is just as good as your senior.... play your senior. Play your 8th Grader JV.... That is why kids are quitting. Kids have played all the way with their classmates and friend and then you throw some young kid in the mix and they make mistakes but don't take the butt chewing you do because ..... they are young... really? If you going to play them treat them the same. There are tons of examples of truly talented 7th or 8th Graders but that is a handfull a year.
boblee
NDPreps Starter

Postby aNDkid91 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:14 am

maddog1971 wrote:So yes numbers are problems. Coaches see the talent coming up and they bring them up and play them. Then the Juniors or even seniors quit. So basically if your 8th Grader is just as good as your senior.... play your senior. Play your 8th Grader JV.... That is why kids are quitting. Kids have played all the way with their classmates and friend and then you throw some young kid in the mix and they make mistakes but don't take the butt chewing you do because ..... they are young... really? If you going to play them treat them the same. There are tons of examples of truly talented 7th or 8th Graders but that is a handfull a year.

This is exactly what is happening in my hometown. Seniors that have worked hard together since the 5th grade (and are solid, good players) are losing their starting positions and playing time to younger girls. It is heartbreaking because these all these girls have talked about since the 5th grade was their senior year.
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:20 pm

boblee wrote:I have also seen this the other way. The younger kids are definitely more talented, but the coach insists on playing older kids. Then kids of all ages end up quitting.

You know I just can not believe it. The talented young kids can come out and kick the heck out of the varsity kids all the time? Then yes. But just because they show potential? Let them play JV... get experience.
Young kids can get on a roll an beat the older kids in practice. I have seen it quite a few times. But when the game get physical and the paces picks up in a real game.... I will go with kids that have experience all the time. A team that can play together has a better chance of competing then a team divided.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsnut5 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:35 pm

I agree, you don't play kids based on potential, you play them according to ability both physically and mentally. It has nothing to do with age. Some young kids actually have more gym time and experience than the older athletes. The worst thing you can do is reward those who feel entitled. Play the athletes who give you the best chance to succeed. If a coach does not do this, odds are they will not be the coach long.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby aNDkid91 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:09 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
boblee wrote:I have also seen this the other way. The younger kids are definitely more talented, but the coach insists on playing older kids. Then kids of all ages end up quitting.

You know I just can not believe it. The talented young kids can come out and kick the heck out of the varsity kids all the time? Then yes. But just because they show potential? Let them play JV... get experience.
Young kids can get on a roll an beat the older kids in practice. I have seen it quite a few times. But when the game get physical and the paces picks up in a real game.... I will go with kids that have experience all the time. A team that can play together has a better chance of competing then a team divided.

Yes to the experienced player!! This can’t be stressed enough! And that whole “a team that can play together”...amen!!
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:19 pm

Now that we are two weeks into practice does anyone know how many girls the state's programs have participating?
Not class B, but I've heard
Valley City 12
Grand Forks Central 19
Fargo South 20
Williston 18, not playing a varsity schedule.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:47 am

Flip wrote:Now that we are two weeks into practice does anyone know how many girls the state's programs have participating?
Not class B, but I've heard
Valley City 12
Grand Forks Central 19
Fargo South 20
Williston 18, not playing a varsity schedule.

That is crazy for Class A schools. Is that 9-12 numbers for each?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:06 am

I assume so. I didn't specifically ask.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:15 am

I don't know if this has any merit at all but I heard from a pretty reliable source that Kindred is having some drama with their girls program. Sounds like some girls are quitting the program. Does anyone have any details on this or is this fake news?
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:38 am

ND Basketball Fan wrote:I don't know if this has any merit at all but I heard from a pretty reliable source that Kindred is having some drama with their girls program. Sounds like some girls are quitting the program. Does anyone have any details on this or is this fake news?

WHAT???? Drama with high school girls???? Who would have ever thought it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby muley14 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:19 pm

ND Basketball Fan wrote:I don't know if this has any merit at all but I heard from a pretty reliable source that Kindred is having some drama with their girls program. Sounds like some girls are quitting the program. Does anyone have any details on this or is this fake news?

Roster is posted on NDHSAA. I don't see any surprises. I knew of one that wasn't going out this year but I think they had to be talked into playing last year so not a surprise.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:40 pm

a
Last edited by maddog1971 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:42 pm

Good news for the girls in Kindred.... If you go out... you are probably on the Varsity this year. Looks like they have an 8th Grader on their roster and a couple 9th Graders. In a school that size and you have 14 girls out for basketball.... odds are there is some drama.... Looks like at least a couple girls that I can see that have played and started are not on the roster this year. Too Bad to see that.
They have 5 coaches as well.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:49 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Good news for the girls in Kindred.... If you go out... you are probably on the Varsity this year. Looks like they have an 8th Grader on their roster and a couple 9th Graders. In a school that size and you have 14 girls out for basketball.... odds are there is some drama.... Looks like at least a couple girls that I can see that have played and started are not on the roster this year. Too Bad to see that.

There are numbers issues all over Region 1; some schools will have JVs full of JH athletes once their JH season is completed (Christmas)
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:34 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Good news for the girls in Kindred.... If you go out... you are probably on the Varsity this year. Looks like they have an 8th Grader on their roster and a couple 9th Graders. In a school that size and you have 14 girls out for basketball.... odds are there is some drama.... Looks like at least a couple girls that I can see that have played and started are not on the roster this year. Too Bad to see that.

I can envision that one of the assistant coaches will have an outsized voice in the huddle.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:08 pm

Any chance they have 14 on varsity and a few kids just not on varsity?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BelfieldBantams » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:25 pm

Flip wrote:

Sounds like they will have 21 in 9-12 girls basketball.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:51 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:
Flip wrote:

Sounds like they will have 21 in 9-12 girls basketball.

That's better than many schools in Region 1

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:48 am

WalkingStick wrote:

There are numbers issues all over Region 1; some schools will have JVs full of JH athletes once their JH season is completed (Christmas)

There a more than a few programs in Region 3 that are very low on numbers as well, but that isn't as surprising because the majority of schools in Region 3 are small school. (even with the co-ops). It seems like numbers for GBB have been dropping in more than one Region for a while now, it would be nice to know why, but I don't think that is possible as it will be different from program to program.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 2livecrew » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:59 am

Sportsrube wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

There a more than a few programs in Region 3 that are very low on numbers as well, but that isn't as surprising because the majority of schools in Region 3 are small school. (even with the co-ops). It seems like numbers for GBB have been dropping in more than one Region for a while now, it would be nice to know why, but I don't think that is possible as it will be different from program to program.

1. There is no break between volleyball and basketball. Look at football players on the boys side. Even if you play as long as possible (the championship game) you still get a two week break before basketball starts. In volleyball, you can bow out of the playoffs early and still have to start basketball almost right away.

2. Basketball is a harder sport than volleyball, at least in terms of physical demand. Having no break plays a factor into this. Girls are tired after a long VB season, and the idea of going into the next thing which is even harder is daunting. It's been said here before, but I think switching the seasons back would help numbers at least a little.

Yes, things will vary program to program, but I think those are 2 pretty big reasons that can be applied to many situations.
2livecrew
NDPreps Rookie

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:06 pm

2livecrew wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

^^^^ FACTS!

1. There is no break between volleyball and basketball. Look at football players on the boys side. Even if you play as long as possible (the championship game) you still get a two week break before basketball starts. In volleyball, you can bow out of the playoffs early and still have to start basketball almost right away.

2. Basketball is a harder sport than volleyball, at least in terms of physical demand. Having no break plays a factor into this. Girls are tired after a long VB season, and the idea of going into the next thing which is even harder is daunting. It's been said here before, but I think switching the seasons back would help numbers at least a little.

Yes, things will vary program to program, but I think those are 2 pretty big reasons that can be applied to many situations.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:29 pm

2livecrew wrote:There a more than a few programs in Region 3 that are very low on numbers as well, but that isn't as surprising because the majority of schools in Region 3 are small school. (even with the co-ops). It seems like numbers for GBB have been dropping in more than one Region for a while now, it would be nice to know why, but I don't think that is possible as it will be different from program to program.

Agree. Either start volleyball earlier or start basketball later.

I had a coach tell me for volleyball and basketball they had to practice at 6 AM on Wednesday. They are in a coop. One school always had to leave at 5 AM. By the time basketball rolls around they have a lot of girls that don't want to do that anymore. It's different leaving at 5 AM in September than January too.

Obviously, there is always one more player per team on the court in volleyball but it's also easier to get more girls playing time. It isn't that difficult to 8-9 girls in a competitive match, you'll have a few kids that only play front or back. Most basketball teams are going to struggle to play 8-9 girls without a significant drop-off in talent.

Probably more than any other team sport you can compete at a young age in girls basketball. So you end up with younger players taking spots from older players. Older players quit.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:24 pm

JO Volleyball is also not doing basketball any favors. A lot of athletic girls go straight to that instead of basketball so they can "focus on volleyball". I bet having the break after volleyball is a big reason too. So honestly this probably comes down to two things. Volleyball season starting earlier so it can finish earlier. The state tournament volleyball teams should have at least two weeks off before basketball starts. That would be a nightmare scenario. I still think it would be better if girls basketball was in the fall, but that will never happen.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:51 pm

I heard today that Des Lacs-Burlington has 10 players out this year (8 from 9-12); playing only a Varsity schedule.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:21 pm

The trend for girls basketball is not good, need to have it in the fall again, girls just like to play volleyball because its easy, plus small town parents kick your kids in the man and tell them they are playing, stop babying them!!!!!!!!!!!!! My girl doesn't care about basketball but she gives it her best, thats all you can ask for. Our second best player this year quit because she doesn't like it, big volleyball star :o , what i would like to tell her her there are girls that don't like VB but still go out so they can have a team, stop being selfish!!!!!!!!!!!
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls