2017 Lions All Star Game

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2017 Lions All Star Game

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Class A Girls:

Grand Forks Central: Lauren Dub
Red River: Lexi Robson
Shanley: Emily Dietz
West Fargo: Akealy Moton, Gabby DuBois
Wahpeton: Tylee Irwin
Bismarck High: Ashley Davis, Cara Haussler
Bismarck Legacy: Mercedes Baumgartner, Brita Feland
Mandan: Mackensi Higlin
Turtle Mountain: Faith Dionne
Alternates:

GF Central: Liz Dub
Red River: Danica Kemnitz
Coaches:

Jim Petrik: Bismarck Legacy
Steve Jacobson: Shanley
Class B Girls:

Park River/Fordville-Lankin: Bailey Beneda
North Star: Peyton Halverson, Macey Kvilvang
Finley-Sharon/Hope-Page: Zoie Breckheimer
Rugby: Breanna Thompson
Carrington: Maara Nelson
Harvey-Wells County: Kari Wolfe
Tri-State: Harmony Burns
Kindred: Brooke Hiatt, Mikayla Reinke
Velva-Sawyer: Jonnah Lee
Watford City: Mackenzie Sparby
Alternates:

Garrison: Ellie Gehring
Bowman County: Mikayla Bartholomay
Mott-Regent: Ellie Messmer
Powers Lake: Brianna Honrud
Ray: Marissa Veach
Coaches:

Perry Piatz: Kindred
Jill Vote: North Star
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Re: 2017 Lions All Star Game

Postby The Schwab » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:57 pm

I would have liked to see the 2000 point scorer on the roster and not as an alternate.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ninja_joe » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 am

Schwab, I agree. To not find room for a 2,000pt scorer on the roster is not a good look for class B coaching committee that picked the team. She should have had the opportunity to participate even though she plays for a tiny school. It's hard to ignore 2000pts.

But the committee just did.

I wonder how many 2,000pt scorers have ever been left off the team.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:37 am

Pretty sure one on the boys side last year.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Gunning4ya » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:28 am

The Schwab wrote:I would have liked to see the 2000 point scorer on the roster and not as an alternate.

If you are referring to Morgan Olson, she accepted the Volleyball invite.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:34 am

Gunning4ya wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I would have liked to see the 2000 point scorer on the roster and not as an alternate.

If you are referring to Morgan Olson, she accepted the Volleyball invite.

Girl from Powers Lake
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:38 pm

I posted this on the Boy's page, but it is worth posting here too. The politics involved in the selection process for the Lion's All Star teams is ridiculous. The Lion's are more worried about getting players from a wide section of the state to boost attendance, the Coaches are more worried about promoting their region or their player, etc... Getting the best players for the team is secondary to these other things. We also don't know about any off-court issues that affect the selection process. Every year it seems like someone deserving gets left off and we question how someone made it over someone else, I don't know if there is a perfect way to select the members of this team.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:08 pm

What is the rule and who makes it with playing in multiple events? like Shrine/Lions or Optimists/Lions.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby boblee » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:26 pm

You an only play in one all-star event. It's a coach association rule and most of the all-star events (but not all) are supported by them.
boblee
NDPreps Starter

Postby NoDakGuy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:30 am

Sportsrube wrote:I posted this on the Boy's page, but it is worth posting here too. The politics involved in the selection process for the Lion's All Star teams is ridiculous. The Lion's are more worried about getting players from a wide section of the state to boost attendance, the Coaches are more worried about promoting their region or their player, etc... Getting the best players for the team is secondary to these other things. We also don't know about any off-court issues that affect the selection process. Every year it seems like someone deserving gets left off and we question how someone made it over someone else, I don't know if there is a perfect way to select the members of this team.

This post is laughable. No truth at all. I've talked to coaches within the meeting; I've been to the meeting. The Lion's have nothing to do with it at all. Each HS coach in the state has an opportunity to nominate players (except their own). One of the first things said at the meeting is "we need to put the 12 best players on the team to compete against Class A." So, getting the best players is not secondary by any means. Sometimes, Regions with weak Seniors aren't going to get anyone one. Sometimes, Regions with strong Seniors might get 3-4 players on. Off-court issues are addressed in the NDHSCA expectations. The meeting takes between 2-3 hours. Think about that: 2-3 hours to pick the 12 players for the team. 8 or 9 of those are pretty rock solid and there is no discussion on them. So, the coaches will spend almost 2 hours discussing 8-10 players to fill the final 3-4 spots. It's capped at 12. The 13th will be upset. Cap it at 13, and the 14th will be upset, and so on and so on. Think before you speak, as it's obvious you don't know. Track down your Region Champion coach in either boys or girls for the past 40+ years and they will tell you the exact same thing. I guarantee it.
NoDakGuy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:06 am

Thank you, NoDakGuy, for being a voice of reason in the wilderness that is NDpreps.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:17 pm

NoDakGuy wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I posted this on the Boy's page, but it is worth posting here too. The politics involved in the selection process for the Lion's All Star teams is ridiculous. The Lion's are more worried about getting players from a wide section of the state to boost attendance, the Coaches are more worried about promoting their region or their player, etc... Getting the best players for the team is secondary to these other things. We also don't know about any off-court issues that affect the selection process. Every year it seems like someone deserving gets left off and we question how someone made it over someone else, I don't know if there is a perfect way to select the members of this team.

This post is laughable. No truth at all. I've talked to coaches within the meeting; I've been to the meeting. The Lion's have nothing to do with it at all. Each HS coach in the state has an opportunity to nominate players (except their own). One of the first things said at the meeting is "we need to put the 12 best players on the team to compete against Class A." So, getting the best players is not secondary by any means. Sometimes, Regions with weak Seniors aren't going to get anyone one. Sometimes, Regions with strong Seniors might get 3-4 players on. Off-court issues are addressed in the NDHSCA expectations. The meeting takes between 2-3 hours. Think about that: 2-3 hours to pick the 12 players for the team. 8 or 9 of those are pretty rock solid and there is no discussion on them. So, the coaches will spend almost 2 hours discussing 8-10 players to fill the final 3-4 spots. It's capped at 12. The 13th will be upset. Cap it at 13, and the 14th will be upset, and so on and so on. Think before you speak, as it's obvious you don't know. Track down your Region Champion coach in either boys or girls for the past 40+ years and they will tell you the exact same thing. I guarantee it.

I can also tell you from experience this post is 100% accurate.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Girls