Title game

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Title game

Postby leroybla » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:57 am

ProV1X wrote:
Dakotastater wrote:
HONKER wrote:
momofgirls wrote:Macey has gone to North Star since 8th grade. She lives in Cando (where her mom grew up) with her whole family. There is no transfer situation. She moved. End of story.
Should we do a census to find out where all the Kindred players live? Bet it's not Kindred.

That is one for Heimer to figure out. Kindred has 735 residents of the city and about 400 kids in the school system HMMM.

The Kindred School district has a weird shape, being fairly narrow and long. It includes the communities of Hickson/Oxbow, Kindred, Davenport, Walcott, and Leonard. The total population of these communities is over 1700, and the rural population is fairly dense around these communities. Davenport, Walcott, and Leonard were absorbed into the Kindred school district over the past 30 years. So having 400 kids in the school isn't a stretch.

As for the varsity girls team. There are 5 seniors, 5 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 1 seventh grader. All 13 attended elementary school in Kindred, at least 11 of them have been in the district since Kindergarten, more than half of them are second generation or older families from Kindred district, most others are from rural areas in SE ND and about half are from working farm families.

Kindred is both a farming and Fargo bedroom community, but this team is all Kindred district, not a bunch of Fargo area transfers looking for playing time. Please note, this has nothing to do with North Star and no comparisons are implied. Just clarifying where this team came from.

Admittedly, Kindred athletics have many advantages compared to more rural ND districts. Access to camps, academies, sports medicine, and a higher level of competition for younger players certainly helps the varsity teams.

From what I have heard, Kindred has seen tremendous growth since they built their new school 5 years ago. I was told they have to find 4 additional classrooms for next year because some of the grades continue to grow with the new housing developments filling up right in Kindred. I think I also heard that they will not accept any new requests for open enrollment since they are over capacity as it is, so I would say that they arent encouraging "athletic families" to enroll there from any Fargo neighborhoods.

Central Cass has a bid opening scheduled for March for an addition estimated at nearly $20M to accommodate growing enrollments. CC limits open enrollees because of overcrowding and possibly other reasons. Like Kindred, new housing developments are planned as existing lots fill up. Significant donations from patrons as well as non-patrons of the district could push the value of the new project much higher.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Girls