Stutsman County Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rep » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:54 am

[align=center][font=Arial]Stutsman[/font][font=Arial][/font][font=Arial]County[/font][font=Arial] Girls' Basketball Tournament Pairings[/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Arial]Thursday, Dec. 14[/font][/align]
[font=Arial]3:00[/font][font=Arial]     #1 Central Prairie    vs   #8 Kulm[/font]

[font=Arial]4:30[/font][font=Arial]     #4 Ellendal     vs    #5 [/font][font=Arial]Sheridan[/font][font=Arial] County[/font]

[font=Arial]6:00[/font][font=Arial]     #2 LaMoure    vs    #7 Midkota[/font]

[font=Arial]7:30[/font][font=Arial]     #3 Carrington    vs   #6 P-B-K[/font]
Last edited by rep on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:45 am

how do they rank the teams?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:56 am

baseball wrote:how do they rank the teams?

not a clue...if i would have to guess they just take a look at what teams lost who and who they have beaten/been beaten by...i think it is probably a very inexact science...especially with most teams only having played three or four games.
rep

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:00 pm

i was wondering because i was suprised to see CP at #1, do they have anyone but Nenow?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketballer » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:02 pm

I heard coaches rank the other teams 1-7.
basketballer

Postby rep » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:13 pm

baseball wrote:i was wondering because i was suprised to see CP at #1, do they have anyone but Nenow?

weippert started the season off with a 15-point game and followed that up with 11 against kulm. slaughter is probably good for 5-8 points a night but she is more of a defensive player. gefroh is good for 6-10 a night.

all in all i think the stutsman is wide open this year...tough to say who is going to win it.

kulm has started slow this year, and has already lost to central prairie 70-33. ellendale has only three legit players that can score in glynn, nelson, smith. sheridan county lost feickert. lamoure lost most of its front court but has meiklejohn. midkota i don't really know that much about. carrington has a couple of good young players i think, and smith isn't too bad and pbk has the guthmiller girls, but they lost quite a bit from last year.
rep

Postby rep » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:37 pm

[align=center]Opening Round[/align]
(1) Central Prairie def. (8) Kulm, 31-22

(5) Sheridan County def. (4) Ellendale, 45-41

(2) LaMoure def. (7) Midkota, 47-9

(6) PBK def. (3) Carrington 39-34

[align=center]Consolation Semifinal Pairings[/align]

Kulm (1-4) vs. Ellendale (2-1)

Midkota (1-4) vs. Carrington (2-1)

[align=center]Semifinal Pairings[/align]
Central Prairie (5-0) vs. Sheridan County (3-1)

LaMoure (3-1) vs. PBK (2-3)
Last edited by rep on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby rkmt » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:02 pm

rep wrote:
[align=center]Opening Round[/align]
(1) Central Prairie def. (8) Kulm, 31-22

(5) Sheridan County def. (4) Ellendale, 45-41

(2) LaMoure def. (7) Midkota, 47-9

(6) PBK def. (3) Carrington 39-34

[align=center]Semifinal Pairings[/align]
Kulm (1-4) vs. Ellendale (2-1)

Midkota (1-4) vs. Carrington (2-1)

Central Prairie (5-0) vs. Sheridan County (3-1)

LaMoure (3-1) vs. PBK (2-3)

Looks, at first glance, like an evenly matched tourney - except one score, and I'll leave that one alone because it can't be fun to be on the losing end of that.  So just a question if you were at the games, why was the Central Prairie - Kulm score so different than the first time they played with a 70-33 outcome?  Did Kulm somewhat successfully try to slow tempo? Note, I haven't seen either team play so I don't know either team's style, but I see that CP has put up some decent points in previous games and it sounded almost like a stall game score. 
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:06 pm

actually there was very little stalling. kulm switched up their defense from a zone the first time they played to man-to-man (or the other way around, i can't remember...saw all four games and they are all kind of running together right now) and that seemed to trouble central prairie a bit.

also, nenow didn't really light up the scoreboard. 14 points was it and i was more impressed with slaughter offensively (she had 10 points) tonight.

the game really surprised me all in all. i think playing kulm before the tournament probably worked against the firebirds.
Last edited by rep on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby rep » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:11 pm

in defense of midkota, when i talked to the lamoure coach after the game she said that two of the mustang players were hurt and one of the girls that would have subbed for the injured was out sick.

so midkota was extremely short-handed. tough enough to win in class b basketball with one of your starters out, much less two and then the first person off the bench. and especially against a team like lamoure - they aren't flashy, but meiklejohn coaches a very fundamentally-sound game.
rep

Postby rkmt » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:33 pm

Thanks for the info.  I guess from what I have seen through the years following basketball and knowing some people from the area, that LaMoure is just as you said - not flashy, strong fundamentally - but not a team that would ever humiliate another.  And the coach certainly doesn't seem like that would be her style at all.  But, I guess, with a team that hasn't been real strong lately, and adversity piled on top of it, sometimes it is unavoidable.  It's been a long time so I'd almost forgotten, but I remember playing (fortunately on the winning end) of a couple games with very similar scores.  But our opponents scored 12 and oh something like 15.  I think the single digits really catches the eye.  Hopefully Midkota can get healthy and put it behind them.  
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Dec. 15

Consolation semifinals

[font=Arial][/font][font=Arial]Ellendale 34, Kulm 31[/font]
[font=Arial]Carrington 67, Midkota 22[/font]
[font=Arial][/font] 
[font=Arial]Semifinals [/font]
[font=Arial]Central Prairie 52, Sheridan County 44 [/font]
[font=Arial]LaMoure 51, Pingree-Buchanan-Kensal 37[/font]
[font=Arial][/font] 
[font=Arial]I didn't really see much of the consolation semis...just focused on the two semifinal games. [/font]
[font=Arial]central prairie and sheridan county was a really good game for three-plus quarters. nip and tuck kind of stuff the whole way. with about three or four minutes to go cp got some unanswered points and from there it was over quickly. natasha nenow had 16 points in the first half and looked pretty strong in the post. she got about half of her first-half points from being the last person to touch the ball on a press break, but she had some legit points. hit buzzer-beating shots to end the first and second quarters. she was also sporting a brace for the first time this season. apparently some torn cartiladge in her knee from the third day of practice. doesn't sound like she'll miss any time, but i bet it can't be comfortable. [/font]
[font=Arial][/font] 
[font=Arial]lamoure finally got over the hump against pbk...jada meiklejohn went for 17 points, 10 rebounds and 6 steals. the kid is pretty amazing. last year she seemed so rushed in everything she did. everything had to be 100 miles an hour. this year she picks apart defenses and has decent enough size to body up on most class b forwards and centers. i think she is hands-down the most complete player in the tournament. [/font]
[font=Arial][/font] 
[font=Arial]i think i do a double take every time i see whitney carlson's little sister check into the game - you can tell they are sisters. [/font]
[font=Arial][/font] 
[font=Arial]makes for an interesting championship...i'll give nenow the edge in the post for central prairie while i give meiklejohn the edge for lamoure. if i had to guess cp would throw slaughter at meiklejohn, but i would think that meiklejohn could exploit that matchup with her size. i'm not too sure who lamoure will put on nenow...maybe just a token double-team from whoever is close for when she touches the ball. [/font]
rep

Return to Girls