#1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

#1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby vikingman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:33 pm

For a while, it looked like this wasn't going to be #1 v #2, but North Star had a big 4th quarter and beat Carrington this afternoon, so both teams are still undefeated.

Webcast on The Cube:
http://thecube.com/event/north-star-varsity-girls-bb-vs-park-river-f-l-710708

We would prefer that people watch on The Cube, but some people have been experiencing problems with them, so if it cuts out, try this link for our secondary feed to Ustream:

Webcast on Ustream:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhs-boys-bb

I'd appreciate it if someone from Park River could post their starting 5 so I could include it in the stat graphics.

Hopefully, this game will be better than the two #1 v #2 games we've had for the boys this season. Predictions?

(BTW, the game will not be saved, so if you don't see it live, you won't see it at all)
vikingman
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby Rivershark » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:52 pm

Park River squeaked out a win against a really good Stephen-Argyle team today 47-45 on a buzzer beater. Both teams should be on top of their game after both having close wins. This should be a really good game. The girls from both teams have known each for years and have even competed together on the same team in tournaments. PRFL rotates their starters between the 6 seniors.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby Rivershark » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:40 am

Just in case people are unaware, The Cube is also an app that you can download on your smart phone or smart TV.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby moverandshaker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:17 am

This should be a fun one to watch. Both teams were challenged over the weekend and will likely be ready to play hard for the #1 cede going into State tournament time.
moverandshaker
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby madseason » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Rivershark wrote:Just in case people are unaware, The Cube is also an app that you can download on your smart phone or smart TV.
How do I get the app on my smart tv? Much rather watch on a 65 inch screen than a 14 inch monitor. :) Any help would be appreciated.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: NE ND

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby Rivershark » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:15 pm

If you have a Samsung smart tv or a Samsung DVD player, you can download the The Cube app and search for North Star High School. Bek Sports is also televising the game, but not everyone has access to Bek.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby madseason » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Rivershark wrote:If you have a Samsung smart tv or a Samsung DVD player, you can download the The Cube app and search for North Star High School. Bek Sports is also televising the game, but not everyone has access to Bek.
I don't have a Samsung tv or dvd. I get bek prime KRDK but it says Flasher against Shiloh christion. Awesome! another west game I could care less about. You would think bek prime would show the east games in the east?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: NE ND

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby vikingman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:49 pm

BEK has not contacted us about doing the game, and as of 4:45 they have not shown up. For as long as it took them to set up when they were here for the Langdon VB game, I'm guessing they're not coming.

If you don't have a smart TV, you could just run an HDMI cable out from your computer to your TV (assuming you have HDMI out on your computer).
vikingman
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby vikingman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:57 pm

It was a fairly physical game -- a lot of bumping and shoving. PR didn't allow Kvilvang many touches down low, but she converted on almost all of them. I would also guess that she had a season high for blocked shots. It was certainly one of the more balanced-scoring games for NS.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:17 pm

anywhere to see a replay?
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby vikingman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:25 pm

no -- coach wants it removed (for obvious reasons)
vikingman
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby Rivershark » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:56 pm

vikingman wrote:no -- coach wants it removed (for obvious reasons)


Come on coach, it's not hard to get video of the game.
Last edited by Rivershark on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby Rivershark » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:14 am

North Star came away with a big win tonight. Besides the final score, this game was pretty even until the 4th quarter when NS pulled ahead. Granite they were ahead the entire game, but PRFL stayed with 5 or 6 most of the game. NS had the more complete game when it came down to it. PRFL didn't get the scoring they needed from their key players. I hope they realized that they are not going to win the game down low against Macy. I feel the point where NS started to pull ahead was when Macy started passing the ball down low. PRFL keyed in on Macy and it hurt them. PRFL's post player did a phenomenal job defending Macy and not letting her get many touches. She also showed no fear taking the ball to the hoop or shooting from the outside on her. The good thing for PRFL is that they know they are a better team and if presented the opportunity will be ready. The big question right now is if the top 4 teams finish out the season without a loss, how do you rank the top 4 teams?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby moverandshaker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:24 am

I saw the webcast, it looked as though NS controlled the game from start to finish. They showed that there is a threat from all five players on the floor at any given time. PRFL did show a very good defensive stance against NS. This rematch will definitely be a lot of fun to watch if it happens.
moverandshaker
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby vikingman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:00 am

The final score was the largest spread of the night, but PR could never get closer than 5 or 6. Every time they got it down that close, NS would put it back up to 8 or 9 right away again.

A rematch could end up completely differently with different reffing. Last night's crew allowed a lot of contact by both teams. I'm obviously biased, but I thought PR did a lot more bumping of Kvilvang and Miller than NS did against PR -- although there were several non-calls against NS players that I couldn't believe didn't get called.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby noles4ever » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 pm

Rivershark wrote:North Star came away with a big win tonight. Besides the final score, this game was pretty even until the 4th quarter when NS pulled ahead. Granite they were ahead the entire game, but PRFL stayed with 5 or 6 most of the game. NS had the more complete game when it came down to it. PRFL didn't get the scoring they needed from their key players. I hope they realized that they are not going to win the game down low against Macy. I feel the point where NS started to pull ahead was when Macy started passing the ball down low. PRFL keyed in on Macy and it hurt them. PRFL's post player did a phenomenal job defending Macy and not letting her get many touches. She also showed no fear taking the ball to the hoop or shooting from the outside on her. The good thing for PRFL is that they know they are a better team and if presented the opportunity will be ready. The big question right now is if the top 4 teams finish out the season without a loss, how do you rank the top 4 teams?


Macey Kvilvang's line from last night: 21 points, 15 rebounds, 10 blocks, a triple double.
Last edited by noles4ever on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby airmail » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:20 pm

Rivershark wrote:The big question right now is if the top 4 teams finish out the season without a loss, how do you rank the top 4 teams?


If they all win out, I'd expect:
1) North Star 2) Kindred 3) Carrington 4) Park River
1 is obvious, and you might have to bump Kindred to the second seed as they would also be undefeated. Then it comes down to the quality of the 1 loss to the overall number 1 for Carrington and Park River. One was 4 points, one was 14.
If SOS is a consideration, I could see that hurting Kindred and flipping their comparison with Carrington. It could happen because Carrington is near the top of SOS and number 1 in RPI. Park River is above Kindred in SOS, but below in RPI, so I'd guess they'd stay at 4 no matter what if Kindred remained undefeated.
airmail
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:00 pm

Its likely these teams reach the state tournament but this still high school basketball and why we play them. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of these teams get upset and not make the state tournament. There are a lot of things and games to be played before they reach the state tournament. If all these teams reach state tournament there may also be other factors contributing to how they will be rated. I wouldn't be so much worried about how they will be rated but playing and doing the things that will get them to the state tournament.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:07 pm

airmail wrote:
Rivershark wrote:The big question right now is if the top 4 teams finish out the season without a loss, how do you rank the top 4 teams?


If they all win out, I'd expect:
1) North Star 2) Kindred 3) Carrington 4) Park River
1 is obvious, and you might have to bump Kindred to the second seed as they would also be undefeated. Then it comes down to the quality of the 1 loss to the overall number 1 for Carrington and Park River. One was 4 points, one was 14.
If SOS is a consideration, I could see that hurting Kindred and flipping their comparison with Carrington. It could happen because Carrington is near the top of SOS and number 1 in RPI. Park River is above Kindred in SOS, but below in RPI, so I'd guess they'd stay at 4 no matter what if Kindred remained undefeated.

No difference between the 2 and 3 seed. Your first round opponent will be unseeded and if you win you play each other in the semifinal.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby Rivershark » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:41 pm

airmail wrote:
Rivershark wrote:The big question right now is if the top 4 teams finish out the season without a loss, how do you rank the top 4 teams?


If they all win out, I'd expect:
1) North Star 2) Kindred 3) Carrington 4) Park River
1 is obvious, and you might have to bump Kindred to the second seed as they would also be undefeated. Then it comes down to the quality of the 1 loss to the overall number 1 for Carrington and Park River. One was 4 points, one was 14.
If SOS is a consideration, I could see that hurting Kindred and flipping their comparison with Carrington. It could happen because Carrington is near the top of SOS and number 1 in RPI. Park River is above Kindred in SOS, but below in RPI, so I'd guess they'd stay at 4 no matter what if Kindred remained undefeated.


Call me biased, but you really shouldn't compare a Carrington loss by 4 points in Carrington to a PRFL loss by 14 in Cando. I would be really surprised to see Kindred at number #2. You look at any of the rankings and it doesn't seem like the number of points you beat a team by affects your rankings. How many teams has Kindred played in the top 10? Only one. If these four teams make it, I see NS #1, PRFL #2, Carrington #3 and Kindred #4
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby momofgirls » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:57 pm

1.North Star
2. Carrington
3. Park River
4. Kindred

Carrington & Park River are a toss up to me for 2 & 3. Both are great teams with one loss to North Star.
I don't think Kindred being undefeated will mean much to the coaches who vote on the seeding. I would think they are definitely going to take SOS into consideration.
momofgirls
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby airmail » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:37 pm

I definitely believe Kindred is the 4th best of these teams. But the question was how I thought they'd be seeded. They're undefeated and getting first place votes, so somebody thinks they're pretty good. Just my opinion and rationale.

Rivershark... I know you're biased, and that's cool with me. But how would PRFL go ahead of Carrington? Even if you toss out the common loss, Carrington leads in the other categories.
airmail
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby Rivershark » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:40 pm

airmail wrote:I definitely believe Kindred is the 4th best of these teams. But the question was how I thought they'd be seeded. They're undefeated and getting first place votes, so somebody thinks they're pretty good. Just my opinion and rationale.

Rivershark... I know you're biased, and that's cool with me. But how would PRFL go ahead of Carrington? Even if you toss out the common loss, Carrington leads in the other categories.



Looking at games against top 10 teams. PRFL has wins against Langdon and Ryan. Carrington has a win against Velva. Nothing against Velva because they beat Ryan but I feel Langdon is stronger than Velva. Carrington and PRFL maybe similar but that's my tie breaker.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby BigCat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:25 pm

The best response in this thread is "if these four teams make it." A few good contests left including this week that may affect the seeding.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 11:32 am

Re: #1 North Star vs #2 Park River F/L--Jan 30 webcast

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:41 pm

According to the KMAV site PRFL has the 14th ranked SOS and Carrington has the 3rd ranked SOS.

I guess if you want to cherry pick wins and go by "feel" then yes PRFL > Carrington.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Next

Return to Girls

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests