Who is the team to beat in 2017?

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who is the team to beat in 2017?

Postby Rivershark » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:56 am

Curious to know who everyone thinks is the team to beat this year? It's really interesting to see the contrast between the different polls. I'm thinking a lot of it has to do with the strength of schedule so far. North Star has been the obvious #1 pick, but do they have the talent to overcome a very balanced PRFL team. The two teams played a very close game for 3rd place at the state tournament last year. I think North Star lost one of their starters, but PRFL returns their top 6 players. My opinion is that as long is Macey Kvilvang is in the game, North Star is the team to beat. You get her in foul trouble and get her on the bench, it's anyone's game. PRFL has got to be one of the more balanced teams I've seen. You can't focus in on one player because they have five others that can hurt you. I don't know anything about Shiloh. What do they have returning from last years team?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Who is the team to beat in 2017?

Postby madseason » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:30 pm

I think PRFL is the team to beat. They had Kvilvang in trouble with fouls last year in the third place game and didn't attack her. Big time mistake! I think the coach probably heard about that all year. They will attack and get her in foul trouble this time. PRFL wins the rematch game for the title. I really don't know much about BB so I could be wrong :).
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: NE ND

Re: Who is the team to beat in 2017?

Postby Flip » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Outside of Kvilvang what does NS have? They must have some other decent pieces. I see Miller had 29 last night. Is NS better than last year? Just based on preseason predictions and a month plus of games I'd say NS and PR are the favorites with Kindred/Carrington/Shiloh right behind them. I think we'll see a lot better teams at the state tournament this year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Who is the team to beat in 2017?

Postby Rivershark » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Flip wrote:Outside of Kvilvang what does NS have? They must have some other decent pieces. I see Miller had 29 last night. Is NS better than last year? Just based on preseason predictions and a month plus of games I'd say NS and PR are the favorites with Kindred/Carrington/Shiloh right behind them. I think we'll see a lot better teams at the state tournament this year.



I'd say Kvilvang, Miller and Halvorson are their main weapons. We'll get a better idea if they are better than last year by the end of the month. I don't think they'll have a problem with Langdon or Lamoure. I don't know anything about Carrington and I'm sure PRFL will put up a good battle. I think the two best teams are North Star and PRFL. I feel NS has the height and defense, while PRFL has the defense and depth. I don't think NS's bench is as deep as PRFL's. It's going to come down to which team wants it more. A little history about these two teams. The three girls I mentioned at the beginning actually teamed up with the PRFL girls at various tournaments throughout the years. The girls are all decent kids off the court and competitors on the court. Each team knows what the other does. In the end I really think it will come down to what team is better coached and prepares their team better.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Who is the team to beat in 2017?

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Park River seems to be at top their game and have been blowing everyone out. I haven't looked at their schedule but it appears that region 2 other teams will not be able to compete with them. The question will come when they meet some better teams when they get to state. Northstar has been doing the same but they do have Langdon which is team that is improving and getting better as season is going along. This should make for a challenged team coming out the regional. I haven't been following other regions but my guess their are several more quality teams out there.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Who is the team to beat in 2017?

Postby Rivershark » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:39 am

B-oldtimer wrote:Park River seems to be at top their game and have been blowing everyone out. I haven't looked at their schedule but it appears that region 2 other teams will not be able to compete with them. The question will come when they meet some better teams when they get to state. Northstar has been doing the same but they do have Langdon which is team that is improving and getting better as season is going along. This should make for a challenged team coming out the regional. I haven't been following other regions but my guess their are several more quality teams out there.



PRFL played Langdon early on in the season and seemed to handle them fine. Langdon has a good team, but I don't feel they can compete with North Star. My only question with North Star is how deep their bench is? I think they lost one player off last years team, but as you saw last year in the state tournament, when Macy was on the bench they struggled. Things will start to pan out more over the next couple weeks.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Who is the team to beat in 2017?

Postby airmail » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:20 pm

If anyone is thinking Northstar is a one-trick pony because they have a tall kid, they would be in serious trouble. Good defensively, and a strong supporting cast to go along with a totally dominant post player. They aren't as easy to defend as you might think - they make you pay for the double-team to their post in quick order.

BTW - Langdon only scored 19 against Northstar last week. I consider that a pretty big statement, since a couple Langdon players seem to average that number.
airmail
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Who is the team to beat in 2017?

Postby Rivershark » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:13 pm

airmail wrote:If anyone is thinking Northstar is a one-trick pony because they have a tall kid, they would be in serious trouble. Good defensively, and a strong supporting cast to go along with a totally dominant post player. They aren't as easy to defend as you might think - they make you pay for the double-team to their post in quick order.

BTW - Langdon only scored 19 against Northstar last week. I consider that a pretty big statement, since a couple Langdon players seem to average that number.


You are right, but you would have to admit that North Star wouldn't be the same team with Macy on the bench playing a top 5 team.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm


Return to Girls

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests