Great Class B Towns

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Great Class B Towns

Postby heimer » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:45 pm

Bismarck is a great Class B town.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: Great Class B Towns

Postby packers21 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:33 pm

heimer wrote:Bismarck is a great Class B town.

;(
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:38 pm

And Valley City.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:44 am

There have been a lot of discussions on the advantages of private schools competing in Class B in terms of getting players, but another advantage is finding coaching. Regardless of success, they are able to go after experienced coaches (even for a year or two) or college graduates locally while many Class B schools are struggling to find teachers.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:43 am

d_fense wrote:

And Valley City.

Yeah, cause there is an apples to apples comparison.

Someone on Facebook told me that Ryan won 3 straight up to this year. I haven't followed it, but if true, that's a swift kick in the nuts to girls basketball.

Ready to solve this problem? This years tourney featured two privates, two former Class A schools, one that should be Class A now, one that should definitely be middle division, a 6'5" transfer from a Class A, and FCT.

But keep your two class system. Did you see the attendance? Yep, this is working well.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:47 am

You think a 3 class system would increase attendance? I doubt it. I do think they need to look at moving it to smaller venues, though. A big, empty gym can't be easy to play in.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby stir the pot » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:04 pm

heimer wrote:
d_fense wrote:

And Valley City.

Yeah, cause there is an apples to apples comparison.

Someone on Facebook told me that Ryan won 3 straight up to this year. I haven't followed it, but if true, that's a swift kick in the nuts to girls basketball.

Ready to solve this problem? This years tourney featured two privates, two former Class A schools, one that should be Class A now, one that should definitely be middle division, a 6'5" transfer from a Class A, and FCT.

But keep your two class system. Did you see the attendance? Yep, this is working well.

I missed something Who is the 6'5" transfer and from what class A school.

If all the private schools in class a towns would step up and go class A they would know how the smaller class b teams feel .

My opinion (I know it doesn't count)Two classes A and B. Expand class A. Class A will include all that are in class A now plus all private schools then add the next largest schools to make a 32 team field and go to four regions of 8 teams each. Top two go to state.
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:48 pm

The Kvilvangs moved to Cando from VC a number of years ago.

I'm a big fan of moving the privates to Class A. Anyone who doesn't think they have significant advantages over the majority of Class B is not being intellectually honest with themselves.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:52 pm

Kvilvang is from Valley City.

Here is a two-year experiment for girls only (if it doesn't work, we go back):

Three classes

If you're currently A, you stay there (AA)

All privates are A, along with enough of the next largest enrollments in B to fill a 16-team class.

Two regions, 4 each go to state.

State is at a venue with two courts.

First day on 2 courts.

Seed through 5.

3 vs random draw and 4 vs 5 for each class on TV day 1.

Day 2: two courts for consi at 9 and 11

Then one court for semi semi semi semi

Day 3: 2 courts for 7th, 5th, 3rd at 10, noon, 2.

Then one court for title title.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby stir the pot » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:02 pm

EHS1998 wrote:The Kvilvangs moved to Cando from VC a number of years ago.

I'm a big fan of moving the privates to Class A. Anyone who doesn't think they have significant advantages over the majority of Class B is not being intellectually honest with themselves.

Thanks
A number of years meaning more than three? Her parent/parents have a job in the area? I have no problem.

Class A. Current class A plus privates plus the next largest schools to make 32 teams the rest class B.
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HONKER » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:40 pm

Trina was born, raised and graduated from Cando. When her dad got sick, she and her family moved back to be closer to him. That has been 4 years ago.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby stir the pot » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:31 pm

HONKER wrote:Trina was born, raised and graduated from Cando. When her dad got sick, she and her family moved back to be closer to him. That has been 4 years ago.

Thanks
I sorry I asked about her I didn't know. End of discussion about the family.
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:35 pm

I am all in favor of moving all private schools into Class A, I am also in favor of the NDHSAA never, ever putting a basketball tournament in a football venue again. Unfortunately neither of these will happen in my lifetime.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:02 am

Sportsrube wrote:I am all in favor of moving all private schools into Class A, I am also in favor of the NDHSAA never, ever putting a basketball tournament in a football venue again. Unfortunately neither of these will happen in my lifetime.

By private schools you mean Shiloh Christian, Dickinson Trinity, and Minot Ryan. These teams have mostly made it out of their respective regions and made it to state every year. No team in their respective regions has a chance if these private schools keep recruiting players from Class A. I heard that these schools stay just under the number of recruits to remain in class B. And that's not right. Prepare for Shiloh, Trinity, and Ryan to make to state every year. Teams in regions 5,6 & 7 won't have a chance to make it to state if Shiloh (reg 5), Ryan (reg 6), Trinity (reg 7) remain in these. For example if teams in their regions have a good regular season and do good their district tournaments they get stuck playing them every year. Now I know Trinity is in the Super Region 7.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:41 am

Sorenson23 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I am all in favor of moving all private schools into Class A, I am also in favor of the NDHSAA never, ever putting a basketball tournament in a football venue again. Unfortunately neither of these will happen in my lifetime.

By private schools you mean Shiloh Christian, Dickinson Trinity, and Minot Ryan. These teams have mostly made it out of their respective regions and made it to state every year. No team in their respective regions has a chance if these private schools keep recruiting players from Class A. I heard that these schools stay just under the number of recruits to remain in class B. And that's not right. Prepare for Shiloh, Trinity, and Ryan to make to state every year. Teams in regions 5,6 & 7 won't have a chance to make it to state if Shiloh (reg 5), Ryan (reg 6), Trinity (reg 7) remain in these. For example if teams in their regions have a good regular season and do good their district tournaments they get stuck playing them every year. Now I know Trinity is in the Super Region 7.

Wow, this comes up every year and is just ridiculous. Do a little fact checking beforehand. None of these schools is anywhere near the 325 cutoff. Watford City, Central Cass, and a handful of others have a much higher enrollment than any of these schools.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hoot12 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:20 am

Minot or Bismarck is by far more of the class B atmosphere than Grand Forks or Fargo. When they host the tournament they welcome you and have signs all over the town showing their appreciation. The local even come to the game to fill the gyms.

Grand Fork and Fargo are Hockey, Hockey, Hockey and that fine then don't bid on the B tournament.

As far as Private school with no doubt the need to move to class A.

The class B excitement years ago was based on little underdog towns that are giving the change to show of their talent. Town you never heard of that have one or maybe two very talented players that get their change at state for the first time in school history.
If you look at Watford (who should be going to class A) and the two private schools they are loaded with recruited talent. They have 12-15 player who can start on most teams. This is nothing new, it not about being a private school it about show off your recruitment abilities and how you can dominate little schools by using the word "private".
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:39 am

I'm finally with you on the locales. Fargo and Grand Forks residents have put their eggs in the collegiate basket. The tournaments no longer excite them. It's only the Chamber of Commerces that want these events for the spending that goes on during the tournaments. Bismarck and Minot support them better.

As far as the classes, I'm not ready to shove all of the privates into what is currently A. That's an easy fix without any forethought. There is enough of a critical mass to construct a middle division with those schools involved, even if you borrowed from the currrent Class A level to construct it.

In a 16-16, rest scenario, with all privates that have over 100 kids "A", you'd have good, highly-competitive basketball, and that's what this should be about.

AA East:
Fargo North
Fargo South
Fargo Davies
West Fargo Sheyenne
West Fargo
Grand Forks Red River
Grand Forks Central
Jamestown

AA West:
Bismarck
Bismarck Century
Bismarck Legacy
Mandan
Dickinson
Williston
Minot
Belcourt

A East:
Wahpeton
Fargo Shanley
Valley City
Central Cass
Fargo Oak Grove
Grafton
Devils Lake
Kindred

A West:
Bismarck St Marys
Minot Ryan
Dickinson Trinity
Watford City
Hazen
Beulah
Bottineau
Rugby

Or, like I said before, leave all the current Class "A"s up and take four more to make 16 in the new "A". Either way, there's a solid class there.

We can't try this for two years? Just for two years?
Last edited by heimer on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:45 am

And what about Williston Trinity? Everyone forgets about them when making the private school argument. Do they not have enough state appearances?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Gunning4ya » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:48 am

ndlionsfan wrote:And what about Williston Trinity? Everyone forgets about them when making the private school argument. Do they not have enough state appearances?

Or Our Redeemers and Oak Grove, you cannot just single out the ones that you feel are competitive, you have to include them all.

But the horse is dead, quit beating him further.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:53 am

I was trying to have a heart, but throw them up there also.

The horse is not dead, it's being beaten back to life with privates winning four titles in a row.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Gunning4ya » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:58 am

heimer wrote:I was trying to have a heart, but throw them up there also.

The horse is not dead, it's being beaten back to life with privates winning four titles in a row.

Shiloh fought back in each games of the State Tournament, in the championship game they were down 12 and came back to win.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a big fan of those schools in Class B but it is what it is. Work harder in the off season.
Last edited by Gunning4ya on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:00 am

Doesn't change who won.........again.

Excuses are like armpits. Everyone has two, and they both stink.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:01 am

heimer wrote:I was trying to have a heart, but throw them up there also.

I disagree. Yes, Ryan won 3 in a row but that was a once in a generation type team. Another private won this year, but if you played that entire tournament over 5 times I believe you'd get 5 different champions. It was a complete tossup and Shiloh ended up running the table. It's not like they came in expected to challenge for the title. I think most people had them pegged for the 7th place game even.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:22 am

It's amazing how hard you will defend the status quo. In the meantime, privates win 4 in a row and the best Class B towns in the state are Bismarck and Minot.

What will your excuse be when they win again next year? And keep in mind that, with their full team, they smoke everyone and win handily. Then your 5 tournament scenario is for the birds.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:10 pm

heimer wrote:I'm finally with you on the locales. Fargo and Grand Forks residents have put their eggs in the collegiate basket. The tournaments no longer excite them. It's only the Chamber of Commerces that want these events for the spending that goes on during the tournaments. Bismarck and Minot support them better.

As far as the classes, I'm not ready to shove all of the privates into what is currently A. That's an easy fix without any forethought. There is enough of a critical mass to construct a middle division with those schools involved, even if you borrowed from the currrent Class A level to construct it.

In a 16-16, rest scenario, with all privates that have over 100 kids "A", you'd have good, highly-competitive basketball, and that's what this should be about.

AA East:
Fargo North
Fargo South
Fargo Davies
West Fargo Sheyenne
West Fargo
Grand Forks Red River
Grand Forks Central
Jamestown

AA West:
Bismarck
Bismarck Century
Bismarck Legacy
Mandan
Dickinson
Williston
Minot
Belcourt

A East:
Wahpeton
Fargo Shanley
Valley City
Central Cass
Fargo Oak Grove
Grafton
Devils Lake
Kindred

A West:
Bismarck St Marys
Minot Ryan
Dickinson Trinity
Watford City
Hazen
Beulah
Bottineau
Carrington

Or, like I said before, leave all the current Class "A"s up and take four more to make 16 in the new "A". Either way, there's a solid class there.

We can't try this for two years? Just for two years?

I will confidently call myself one of the biggest basketball fans in ND. I like this plan a lot. Throwing all the private schools in a top class would be a bad move right now I think. With the facilities that Shiloh has, I think they will remain athletically dominant (also my pick to wins boys) for years and years in the current format. The Ryan thing was once in a generation. Shiloh will consistently be able to get the kids who can't make it in BPS that want to transfer so they can play, and they have enough talent in the SCS system where adding 1-2 players takes them from good to great. I am a Shiloh fan, but there are advantages when you compare them to a Flasher for example, who will lose a player for a job in Bismarck, a Shiloh will gain a player for a job in Bismarck.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Girls