Great Class B Towns

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Great Class B Towns

Postby d_fense » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:55 pm

Flip, it is not against any rules. And there is no reason for it to be against any rules and trying to make it illegal would be disastrous.

BigBrew22, I think your last post is crazy. Make that your last 2
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:17 pm

d_fense wrote:Flip, it is not against any rules. And there is no reason for it to be against any rules and trying to make it illegal would be disastrous.

False, as seen in the by-laws Article V, Section II

A school may be suspended

e. For unduly influencing a student to attend school or by offering or giving any
remuneration either directly or indirectly to influence him/her to attend or his/her family
to reside in a given district in order to establish the student's eligibility on the team or
activities of the school
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:21 pm

Bigbrew22 wrote:Don't kid yourself Winner very few crooked public schools might do this. 99% arnt wasting their efforts doing this "big business" the truth is none of these small town schools have the money, resources or influence to do any sort of recruiting so give me a break. It doesn't apply to small schools

I wasn't referring to transfer or recruiting and I know theres been juggling here and there in reference to that....I was referring to the fact that they are funded by taxes and taxes is a big business and some pay more than others and might not have a child in the school.....but the influences are there..
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bigbrew22 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:57 pm

d_fense wrote:Flip, it is not against any rules. And there is no reason for it to be against any rules and trying to make it illegal would be disastrous.

No your wrong it should be against the rules these are "public" schools not colleges or private schools where I think recruiting would be used to stay relevant and keep the money flowing. I don't believe you get more state tax funding if you win a championship..... I this type of public school recruiting actually happens their sports programs should be suspended. That sort of thing really muddy's the water and if it was ever out in the open and legal it would crush sports programs in ND it would be so demoralizing for the schools that couldn't recruit the kids would give up. Your last post is crazy there is is a thousand reasons for it to be illegal.

D_fense you may be doing a great disservice to high school sports in ND if u have evidence and don't report it.
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:06 pm

sportsphenom wrote:

e. For unduly influencing a student to attend school or by offering or giving any
remuneration either directly or indirectly to influence him/her to attend or his/her family
to reside in a given district in order to establish the student's eligibility on the team or
activities of the school

If I am a parent who sends his kids to a private school, and I convince my neighbor to send their kids to the school, is that recruiting? Or a billboard or mailer. Or are we claiming that a school official actually contacts a specific kid or family to attend the school?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mandan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:38 am

If Catholics try to get people in their parish to send their kids to the local Catholic high school, I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, there sometimes in pressure put on, asking "why are you sending your kids to the public school". If the student happens to be a good athlete, that would be a bonus, but not the main reason they'd be wanting them in the school. Higher enrollment = more tuition money = a more stable school.

Now, if a Catholic high school goes to the Baptist 8th grader and tries to get them to come to the school, promising them more playing time or even a starting role, that is a whole different story. Not that non-Catholics can't or don't attend a Catholic school, but making athletics the focus of going to the school would be questionable.

And this is also why people want names. With all these recruiting allegations over the years, let's hear some actual names so we can determine if it is true or not. I will never believe any Trinity recruiting talk without specific names. When I was at Trinity, it was probably 99% Catholic, so the athletes are all Catholic and probably even went to Catholic grade school, so you can't accuse any of them of being "recruited" in some malicious way.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:15 am

Mandan wrote:If Catholics try to get people in their parish to send their kids to the local Catholic high school, I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, there sometimes in pressure put on, asking "why are you sending your kids to the public school". If the student happens to be a good athlete, that would be a bonus, but not the main reason they'd be wanting them in the school. Higher enrollment = more tuition money = a more stable school.

Now, if a Catholic high school goes to the Baptist 8th grader and tries to get them to come to the school, promising them more playing time or even a starting role, that is a whole different story. Not that non-Catholics can't or don't attend a Catholic school, but making athletics the focus of going to the school would be questionable.

And this is also why people want names. With all these recruiting allegations over the years, let's hear some actual names so we can determine if it is true or not. I will never believe any Trinity recruiting talk without specific names. When I was at Trinity, it was probably 99% Catholic, so the athletes are all Catholic and probably even went to Catholic grade school, so you can't accuse any of them of being "recruited" in some malicious way.

As a youth, LeBron James played Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) basketball for the Northeast Ohio Shooting Stars. The team enjoyed success on a local and national level, led by James and his friends Sian Cotton, Dru Joyce III, and Willie McGee. Inseparable, they dubbed themselves the "Fab Four" and promised each other they would attend high school together. In a move that stirred local controversy, they chose to attend St. Vincent–St. Mary High School, a largely white private Catholic school.

I guess my favorite one was when the Priest said "If your traveling with a basketball team on weekends and missing Church...your doing wrong". well then my question is "how did a the greats (LeBron for one) happen to get so good just playing during the week and not on a Saturday or Sunday?...I've know and met numerous priests thru my years and haven't met many that were not severely competitive...

Now I'm not pointing at any particular religion....but a good sports team is the #1 way to put your School on the map!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bigbrew22 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:39 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
sportsphenom wrote:

activities of the school

If I am a parent who sends his kids to a private school, and I convince my neighbor to send their kids to the school, is that recruiting? Or a billboard or mailer. Or are we claiming that a school official actually contacts a specific kid or family to attend the school?

Any member of faculty or school board actively pursuing a player and offering any sort of compensation is recruiting not if u get your neighbors kid to go to that school if the kid is a super bball player then it's just lucky for that school
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls