2015-16 State Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2015-16 State Tournament

Postby Old Drifter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:19 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I agree Dom Izzo just doesn't do Class b justice he has no history or what makes class b what it is. I can put it to words correctly but when he's does play by play you feel like he's just putting up with class b he can't understand why its more popular than class A sports. Also they have very little crowd shots or reactions from the fans to give it some extra background. I feel they are not emotionally vested in the games and I guess I can understand this because he comes from Fargo and to them its covering 5 big schools there in metropolitan area with two from Grand Forks they have very little attachment to class b schools when this what they cover. But for the rest of the state its class b and if you asked any class b fan there they could probably tell you something about class b teams across the state and what's been happening. But if you asked them about class A sports they couldn't tell you much at all who's been wining or loosing or even much about the teams in each region. To people in Fargo they would be dismayed I bet how little rest of state pays attention to class A teams but its different out west I think Bismarck they do equal job and when class b is in Bismarck there's interest in class b sports and they come out and watch the games from in town. Like I say Forum communications could do better on play by play they should look at some of radio announcers from various small towns to help do play by play and if not use them to get some color in the game and history of teams and what hap[pen during the season.

agree with you 100%....and who is that women announcer?!?!? talk about an amateur...I've spent 15 years in radio and every year I think to myself...'Where are they getting these announcers?!?!?'....and what the heck was a wrestling module doing in a basketball halftime report?!?! they could have done a retro look at past state champs or something like that....
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:03 pm

I will put my 2 cents in on the announcing also - it is not very good. About the only thing they are good at is pointing out the obvious. Really miss Lee Timmerman, at least he knew about the teams playing.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nolan4 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:08 pm

I also am not a fan of Izzo, and would have been happy for NBC to keep it, if they only would have gotten HD for the state tourney.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:45 pm

What is with the lack of scoring in these tournament games? Has anyone hit 50 points in a game yet?
Congrats to Shiloh Christian on their 1st State Championship. It was nice to see them keep the fans off the floor at the end of the game, let the players enjoy their moment, hopefully the do that at the State B Boys too.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:58 pm

Sportsrube wrote:What is with the lack of scoring in these tournament games? Has anyone hit 50 points in a game yet?
Congrats to Shiloh Christian on their 1st State Championship. It was nice to see them keep the fans off the floor at the end of the game, let the players enjoy their moment, hopefully the do that at the State B Boys too.

Fairmount/CT, Watford City & Park River-FL all scored 50+ Points this year...but yes scoring seemed down this year BUT maybe the defense was a bit better
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:12 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:What is with the lack of scoring in these tournament games? Has anyone hit 50 points in a game yet?

Fairmount/CT, Watford City & Park River-FL all scored 50+ Points this year...but yes scoring seemed down this year BUT maybe the defense was a bit better

I was just commenting on the scoring in the State Tournament. I know that these large arenas are different to shoot in than your typical Class B gym, but when Dickinson Trinity struggles to put 30 on the board and most games are low scoring it just made me wonder. I only saw the games that were televised and the defense was good, but not great.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:18 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I was just commenting on the scoring in the State Tournament. I know that these large arenas are different to shoot in than your typical Class B gym, but when Dickinson Trinity struggles to put 30 on the board and most games are low scoring it just made me wonder. I only saw the games that were televised and the defense was good, but not great.

Those three teams I listed put up 50+ in the State Tournament this year.

Trinity has been known to struggle this year...I watched an unranked, middle-of-the-road team beat them 35-28 this year; not the greatest defensive game either...Trinity just struggles to put the ball in the hoop.

Other teams in the tournament put up their fair share of points during the season but my guess is that when they are faced with equal competition the scoring drops. 60 & 70 point outputs aren't a common occurence in our state (at least in Class B). This year we had 8 solid, equal teams at the tournament.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby nolan4 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:34 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Oh definitely the defense is better and the refs let more go than before, but I prefer it that way.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:32 am

Congrats to Shiloh. Did they only play 5 the whole tournament? Thought I heard that. They are a scrappy bunch. They did to WC what WC did to PRFL in the semis. Made them get flustered and turn the ball over way too much. Two great games last night.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:41 am

Not one player from PRFL on the all tournament team??? They are all pretty balanced but I think at least one of them should have made the team.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:57 am

Just as many games with a team scoring in the 20s than the 50s. Overall average scoring per team per game of under 41 pts. Yes all the teams were good defensively, but the offenses struggled and it wasn't just because of the defense on the other side. Very few that could attack the basket and create their own shot in the tournament.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby lions700 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:07 am

So the state doesn't allow the court storming anymore or was it just a local tourney committee rule?
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:11 am

madseason wrote:Not one player from PRFL on the all tournament team??? They are all pretty balanced but I think at least one of them should have made the team.

I thought the team with all the juniors (PRFL) had to earn everything this weekend in a way also...
almost like "they'll be back" and I thought a few seniors were catered to....in the midst of this a none seeded team (SC) comes thru in an almost endurance test (played starters steady) and steals the show without stand out Two-Bears.....I will say that this private school having been to may different big games in many different sports boys and girls was far from stacked......they were just in very good shape and knew the game of Bball very well.....Coach believed in them and they believed in him=Champion's :)

very fun tournament to watch....ND Class B girls ball is alive and programs need to realize this...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:24 pm

madseason wrote:Congrats to Shiloh. Did they only play 5 the whole tournament? Thought I heard that. They are a scrappy bunch. They did to WC what WC did to PRFL in the semis. Made them get flustered and turn the ball over way too much. Two great games last night.

They had a player off the bench in Game 1 & 2...no one off bench in Title Game I believe
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:39 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Just as many games with a team scoring in the 20s than the 50s. Overall average scoring per team per game of under 41 pts. Yes all the teams were good defensively, but the offenses struggled and it wasn't just because of the defense on the other side. Very few that could attack the basket and create their own shot in the tournament.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. There were not a lot of great shooters in this tournament either. (At least in the games I watched on TV.) I just find it funny that you had a number of teams in this tournament that struggled to get to 40 points. Overall, the semi-finals and the 3rd place and Championship games were exciting because they were close, but not the best tournament overall.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby stir the pot » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Region championship games kind of low scoring also.
1 46-25 Average FTC 59
2 46-33 PRFL 55
3 48-37 CARR 51
4 45-35 NS 62
5 64-59 Shiloh 55
6 37-23 Rugby 59
7 42-27 DT 51
8 67-42 WC 63
Doesn't look like any of the teams score a a lot of points under pressure.
Looks like region 5 loser may have had a pretty good team.
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Any chance future tournaments are held in the new Bison basketball facility?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ninja_joe » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:51 pm

It's too bad the NDHSAA has awarded grand forks the state B for the next few years. What a circus. Several teams having to switch hotels because there wasn't one hotel set aside for the teams and all its members? Seriously? The atmosphere looked terrible. The crowd appeared so far away from the floor. How on earth can you NOT realize your lights will take a half hour to turn back on & delay the start of the championship game.

How they put together the all tournament team selection committee is beyond me. They give Katie Mogen the MVP? Really? Shiloh won the title. Ulmer was the leading scorer in the tourney. She is undoubtedly the MVP. Stupid. The committee obviously shut it down at half time (dumb) & decided then and there who was getting the MVP.

NDHSAA will pretend everything was great from the TV broadcasting (flat awful) to the city of Grand Forks hosting (looks like they could care less). Its too bad. Class B girls deserve a 1st rate experience. Not what went on there this year.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:23 pm

ninja_joe wrote:It's too bad the NDHSAA has awarded grand forks the state B for the next few years. What a circus. Several teams having to switch hotels because there wasn't one hotel set aside for the teams and all its members? Seriously? The atmosphere looked terrible. The crowd appeared so far away from the floor. How on earth can you NOT realize your lights will take a half hour to turn back on & delay the start of the championship game.

How they put together the all tournament team selection committee is beyond me. They give Katie Mogen the MVP? Really? Shiloh won the title. Ulmer was the leading scorer in the tourney. She is undoubtedly the MVP. Stupid. The committee obviously shut it down at half time (dumb) & decided then and there who was getting the MVP.

NDHSAA will pretend everything was great from the TV broadcasting (flat awful) to the city of Grand Forks hosting (looks like they could care less). Its too bad. Class B girls deserve a 1st rate experience. Not what went on there this year.

I agree with everything you said about GF being a horrible place to host a State Class B basketball tournament. Unfortunately the NDHSAA doesn't give a rat's tail about what anyone thinks, they answer to no one.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Old Drifter » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:47 pm

Old Drifter wrote:Well...its boiled down to WC and Shiloh...having watched the tourney so far, I think Shilohs a fast, hustling team but they have no muscle or height...a classic Cinderella team and will be the underdog many will root for but I think WC is just a little too big and tough and plays consistent ball with well-balanced scoring. I wish coach BT and the girls could have a state championship but I'm picking WC to win it all.....

Well, well, well....I thought this was WC's year and they had it in the bag...Cinderella made it past 12:00 midnight..dang shame for WC...they move into their 12 million (?) + new school with the governor there and all then the boys lose the first ever game played there to Parshall and now the girls come up short...I guess enrollment #'s don't really mean a thing...not sure about other schools in region 8 but Parshall may have a grand total of 60 + enrollment for both Junior AND senior high classes...
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:01 am

ninja_joe wrote:It's too bad the NDHSAA has awarded grand forks the state B for the next few years. What a circus. Several teams having to switch hotels because there wasn't one hotel set aside for the teams and all its members? Seriously? The atmosphere looked terrible. The crowd appeared so far away from the floor. How on earth can you NOT realize your lights will take a half hour to turn back on & delay the start of the championship game.

Agree with you on everything. Just didn't seem like the usual crazy class b atmosphere. Either figure out a way to get it into the Betty or too bad GF.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhoopshysteria » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:43 pm

ninja_joe wrote:WDAY should have auditions for whoever does the play by play announcing for the state tournaments. Listening to Dom Izzo & Lynnette Mund really encourages one to turn the volume down. Lee Timmerman generally had a clue anyways about both teams, their players, & background on the teams. Dom Izzo just blows basic plays out of proportion & is captain obvious when he calls the game. Mund does not add much insight at all.

Spot on. Between Jody Norstedt and Dom Izzo screaming at the TV (why, WHY do you need to scream after every basket) to the color analyst that doesn't really add anything to the broadcast, it's best to mute the TV. The broadcasts are lacking local knowledge, especially the West teams (since the broadcasters hail from Fargo). Two more years until the contract is up for bids and I sure hope NBC ND gives a strong bid package to retake the broadcasts.
ndhoopshysteria
NDPreps Rookie

Previous

Return to Girls