Jump Ball Resurrection

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Jump Ball Resurrection

Postby ReadyToPlay » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:34 pm

Thought I would bring back the thought of getting the jump ball back in the game. When I played many moons ago, it meant something to make an all out effort to dive after a loose ball and hang on to it with all your might, hoping at least to give your team a 50% chance of saving a game. It was a chance to plan strategy, both offensively and defensively. It wasn't just an automatic token given to you every other time just to save time, it actually meant something. You actually had to think and anticipate. Didn't matter if it was a David and Goliath matchup, it was a blast when David won. I know this will fall on deaf ears in this world of "give it to me fast, I am late for my next hour in life", but please actually think about it before dismantling your thought on the subject.
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Re: Jump Ball Resurrection

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:39 pm

I'll bite first. I also played during the "jump ball" era and I definitely like the alternating rotation for the jump ball instead of "throwing it up". I think that in too many cases girl's basketball is slow enough and we shouldn't do anything to make it even slower. I would be willing to bet that most officials don't want to go back to having all of those jump balls either. I may be a little biased though, because all the years I coached girl's BB I never had a girl taller than 5'8" so we never won very many jump balls! :)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:03 pm

I'd like to see someone some statistical work on just how long it takes to administer a jump ball compared to administering a throw-in.

In both cases, the referee's signal is the same. In a jump ball the referee must walk to the jump circle. In a throw-in, the referee must walk to the throw-in spot. The referee waits for the players to assemble in both cases. In a jump ball, the referee throws the ball in the air, in a throw-in they throw the ball to the inbounder.

I guess I don't see where the big time savings are. That was one of the reasons for doing away with the jump ball.

The other reason was that it was unfair to shorter teams. This is where coaching comes in. It's not the team that wins the tip that always gets the ball. It's the team that boxes out along the jump circle. I had some tall teams. I had some short teams. My shorter teams would still get much more than 50% of the jump balls because they boxed out and were aggressive in going after the ball.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:13 am

I dont know all the reasons for doing away with it but saving time or shorter teams make zero sense.......I would say the biggest dilemma is a fair throw up ....so many of the opening tips nowadays are just thrown up leaning to one side or not high enough (and I've reffed and its not easy to throw it up)....If they went back to it the refs would have to work on mastering the feat.....I think the jump ball is and should be part of basketball.....part of being a basketball player is working on your jumping ability as you grow older and stronger, so its not surprising it was initially part of the game rules......

is like this...will they do a way with the face off in hockey and just take turns getting the puck?... :roll:
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ReadyToPlay » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:06 pm

By the positive responses to this subject of reinstituting this jump ball back into the game, it sounds as if "it could have legs". Has anyone ever heard of this ND Prep Site actually submitting an idea to the NDHSAA for review and getting it through? --- or is it like a school board or church board meeting in where they do not want to deal with the subject so they just table it? Would be interesting if any current or former board NDHSAA members would have insight on this subject....
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:34 am

NDHSAA would never pay attention to a suggestion from this site. Suggested rules changes have to bubble up from individual coaches to the coaches' advisory committee (there's one in each sport), and the advisory committee makes recommendations to the appropriate members of the NDHSAA board. So, if this is something anyone on this board is passionate about pursuing, they would take it up with their local coach first.

It could also be bubbled up through the local AD or Superintendent as well. The supers have all the real power over such things so getting your local super on board is huge.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:28 am

First off, I think I would go nuts if they put the jump ball back into particularly the girls game. Officials, even back in the day typically didn't do a good job throwing up the ball. It is worse now with the lack of practice by officials and would get better if implemented. Secondly, girls that jump are few and far between. I can see the excitement watching two leapers going after the tip, but how often will that happen? I can see a whole lot of the taller, longer armed girl trying to bat a poorly thrown toss in the direction of a teammate. IMO not very exciting.

As far as this site contributing in any way to changes in anything.... I think it can. I know there are coaches, athletic directors, and others involved in athletics that either contribute or read posts on this site. And all change, good or bad, starts with an idea. And it doesn't matter where the idea comes from.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Return to Girls