State Tournament Format

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

State Tournament Format

Postby Rivershark » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:12 pm

I know this sounds a little crazy, but would there be any way to restructure the playoffs so that a team that's in the top 5 throughout the entire season doesn't get shut of the state tournament because they play in a strong regional.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: State Tournament Format

Postby packers21 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:29 pm

Rivershark wrote:I know this sounds a little crazy, but would there be any way to restructure the playoffs so that a team that's in the top 5 throughout the entire season doesn't get shut of the state tournament because they play in a strong regional.

What would the point of this be? why not give everyone a trophy?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Newsflash- Polls don't mean anything, especially when its a popularity contest sometimes with the sports writers.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rivershark » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm just saying that some Regions are stronger than others. So why should a really good team be left out while a mediocre team advances out of a week region.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:06 pm

So, how many regions would you allow to not be represented at state?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:13 pm

Rivershark wrote:I'm just saying that some Regions are stronger than others. So why should a really good team be left out while a mediocre team advances out of a week region.

If you want your team to go to state, win your region. Every year good teams stay home, that's life. We can't give teams a free ride to state just because they are considered one of the top 5 teams in the state. If you want to go to state, earn it, just like every other team did, by winning their region.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rivershark » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:47 pm

sportsphenom wrote:Newsflash- Polls don't mean anything, especially when its a popularity contest sometimes with the sports writers.

Why can't polls mean anything? I understand they may not be so accurate at the beginning of the season, but by the end I would think they could be. The reason this question was brought up was because there are 3 teams in Region 2 that are currently ranked in the top six in the polls. To think that only one of the teams is going to end up at the state tournament seems odd.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:03 pm

Rivershark wrote:
sportsphenom wrote:Newsflash- Polls don't mean anything, especially when its a popularity contest sometimes with the sports writers.

Why can't polls mean anything? I understand they may not be so accurate at the beginning of the season, but by the end I would think they could be. The reason this question was brought up was because there are 3 teams in Region 2 that are currently ranked in the top six in the polls. To think that only one of the teams is going to end up at the state tournament seems odd.

A region with 2, 3 or even 4 in the Top 10 has happened over past years...

State Tournament
Objective: Earn your right by beating your Region opponents...you win your games you go...no matter your record!

Boys Basketball 2005
Maple Valley was 18-0 and ranked #1 in the State in final poll of that season. They got upset in the D2 Title game...and then in the Region semis.

When it comes to tournament time...your regular season doesn't matter (therefore the poll has no meaning).

I could come up with a state-wide single elimination tournament until the final eight...but in the end, someone will always be against that idea or the next idea.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:24 am

I agree that Region 1 and 2 tend to be consistently strong regions, but close doesn't really count in the offseason. Region 1 tends to be a little more competitive at the state tournament, but Region 2 really struggles.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:34 am

Are we saying Region 2 struggles in both Boys and Girls bball state tournaments? Because the boys side has only struggled in recent years, there was a stretch where I believe Region 2 only lost 1 quarterfinal game on the boys side in 1 out of 20 years.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:02 am

Been saying it for years.

64 teams make the state tournament.

Nowadays, even more make the state tournament.

The first three, or four, rounds happen at regional sites.

Best next change for B tourneys: seed 5, not four.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:18 am

scoobyx2 wrote:I agree that Region 1 and 2 tend to be consistently strong regions, but close doesn't really count in the offseason. Region 1 tends to be a little more competitive at the state tournament, but Region 2 really struggles.

100% disagree with this
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:46 pm

The Schwab wrote:Are we saying Region 2 struggles in both Boys and Girls bball state tournaments? Because the boys side has only struggled in recent years, there was a stretch where I believe Region 2 only lost 1 quarterfinal game on the boys side in 1 out of 20 years.

I am referring to the girls. I was going to say that Region 2 has not produced a State Champion in over a decade, but Grafton did win it in 2012. Region 1 hasn't won since 1997. I think Region 1 and 2 have strong teams, but the regions are not overwhelmingly strong as far as the state is concerned. A 64 team tournament would be an interesting option to generate more interest.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:08 pm

Since 1998 State Championships by Region in Girls (where they were when they won the title)

Region 1- Zero
Region 2- Three
Region 3- One
Region 4- Two
Region 5- Zero
Region 6- Ten
Region 7- One
Region 8- Zero

With the exception of Region 6 (which has dominated the state in Girls Basketball since 1998 with 2 three-peat title teams) the overall landscape seems pretty balanced to me.

If we just talk about the last 10 season, Region 6 has won six titles.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:44 pm

It really has been balanced, and each region has had very good teams stay home. Last year, Parshall was a big surprise who kept Watford City home.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby yellowjacket » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:24 am

The Schwab wrote:Since 1998 State Championships by Region in Girls (where they were when they won the title)

Region 1- Zero
Region 2- Three
Region 3- One
Region 4- Two
Region 5- Zero
Region 6- Ten
Region 7- One
Region 8- Zero

With the exception of Region 6 (which has dominated the state in Girls Basketball since 1998 with 2 three-peat title teams) the overall landscape seems pretty balanced to me.

If we just talk about the last 10 season, Region 6 has won six titles.

Region 6: 9 titles
Region 4: 3 titles(Carrington, Langdon, Munich-Starkweather)
yellowjacket
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:11 am

Thank you for that! I wasn't completely sure if Munich Starkweather was in 4 or 6
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby nolan4 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:59 am

heimer wrote:Been saying it for years.

64 teams make the state tournament.

Nowadays, even more make the state tournament.

The first three, or four, rounds happen at regional sites.

Best next change for B tourneys: seed 5, not four.

I would seed all 8!!
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:06 am

Just FYI taken from the GF Herald....put it in this thread because it talks about Class B Girls State tourn.. :)

FARGO — In the 25 years that Fargo Public Schools Activities Director Todd Olson has been involved with the East Region high school basketball tournaments, he said he could not remember a time when the tournaments were held anywhere other than one large neutral venue.

That will change this March when the East Region boys and girls basketball tournaments are scheduled to be held at Fargo and West Fargo high schools all three days of each event. The dates for the tournaments are set for March 1, 4 and 5.

A lack of large neutral venues led to the change. Both tournaments have been held at North Dakota State's Bison Sports Arena, but that venue is in a renovation project before it reopens in the fall as the new Sanford Health Athletic Complex.

The Alerus Center in Grand Forks, which hosted both tournaments last year, is hosting the Class B girls basketball state tournament March 3-5. Scheels Arena is hosting a large youth hockey tournament that weekend, and Olson said parking downtown was a concern that put the Fargo Civic Center out of the running.

All of those scenarios led Eastern Dakota Conference principals and activities directors to agree on hosting the tournaments at high school gyms in Fargo and West Fargo the final two days.

"It was really easy to agree on because everyone knew the status of the other venues," Olson said. "It was something we were talking about for more than a year because we knew the Class B girls basketball tournament was going to be in Grand Forks and that wasn't going to be an option. We were going to need multiple gyms and here in Fargo and West Fargo have the most facilities and the largest facilities. That is the direction we went."

The setup remains unchanged with the first round of the tournament. That's when higher-seeded teams will host games on Tuesday, March 1. It changes after that.

On Friday, March 4, the tournament structure will feature two games being hosted at four different sites—Fargo South, Fargo North, West Fargo Sheyenne and West Fargo. The final day, which features a total of six games—four state qualifiers and two championships--will be hosted at Sheyenne and West Fargo.

Tentatively, the plan is to have all the girls games at Sheyenne, with times of 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., while West Fargo will host the three boys games at times of noon, 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. That is all subject to change given that no team can hold home-court advantage.

Simply put, this plan is going to keep Olson busy.

"We are going to try to make it fan friendly even though we are at four different sites on Friday," Olson said. "I will try to pair up boys and girls teams from the same schools so they play at the same gym on the Friday night to the extent I can under the parameters that they can't play in their home gym. It will be interesting."

Ticket prices set by the North Dakota High School Activities Association are as follows: Tuesday (adults $7, students $5 or $8 and $5 if gym is hosting two games), Friday (adults $8, students $5 good for for two games) and Saturday (adults $10 and students $5 for a daily pass good at all gyms).

Saturday's schedule will be determined by Olson following the conclusion of Friday's games.

"We are hoping it will work out to where we can assign the girls games to Sheyenne and the boys games to West Fargo High School the last day," Olson said. "If home-court becomes an issue, then we'll make that change, but I think we have a good framework so that it won't be that difficult of a task."

The tournament likely will return to a larger venue next season, possibly at NDSU's new Sanford Health Athletic Complex.

"We have had brief conversations with NDSU, but nothing official or serious," Olson said. "My plan is this spring to go out to NDSU and visit with them and see if we can secure (their venue) for that weekend."

Olson said in the years when one larger venue is not be available, officials may have to use the format they are using this year.

"This would be a fall-back plan if arenas aren't available," Olson said. "We don't know. Maybe people will like this format. It will be interesting to see how it plays out."
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:58 pm

I understand the unusual circumstances in this case are forcing them to play at Fargo schools. But ugh, a state tournament at a high school? Holy lack of atmosphere Batman!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Hinsa wrote:I understand the unusual circumstances in this case are forcing them to play at Fargo schools. But ugh, a state tournament at a high school? Holy lack of atmosphere Batman!

yep....would be different to say the least.........
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby MTfan4life » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:10 pm

Hinsa wrote:I understand the unusual circumstances in this case are forcing them to play at Fargo schools. But ugh, a state tournament at a high school? Holy lack of atmosphere Batman!

In the first place, this is the East Region tournament, not a state tournament. Secondly, I disagree with the lack of atmosphere. I saw West Fargo @ Davies during Kretchman's senior year and the place was rocking from start to finish. I'd much rather see a regional or even state tournament with over 80% capacity at a high school, than watch a <50 capacity% game at the Fargo Dome or Bison Sports Arena...especially with some of the girls' tournaments that aren't greatly attended. Plus it seems that shooting percentage often hits the bricks in those bigger arenas. Just my opinion, though.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:27 am

You want to talk about strong teams being shut out of the state tournament? I live in a very large state that has 4 regions. Just to get to state, you have to finish top 2 in your district, then win the following playoff games: bi-district, area round, regional 1st round, reg. quarters, reg. semis, and reg. final. This is for both football and basketball. Of course there are 6 classes, with two divisions per class, not including parochial schools.
HighPlainsDrifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rivershark » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:49 am

How do teams get seated for the Class B State Tournament?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:30 am

The Head Coaches of the teams in the state tournament rank the top 4 teams (they can't rank their own team) 1-4, they seed the top 4 and draw for the other 4.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Girls