85-15

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 85-15

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:15 pm

heimer wrote:So, the team that was so good that they could name the score and couldn't avoid winning by 70 because of their talent scored 29 in a loss to Trinity.

:roll:

Dickinson Trinity is not equal to Richardton-Taylor...another opposite side of the spectrum for the two teams!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby heimer » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:27 pm

The point being that, even if Trinity is really good, their opponent wasn't so lights out good that they just couldn't avoid winning by 70 earlier.

It proves that Watford at least worked at beating RT by 70.

If you work at beating someone by 70, my earlier points come fully into play.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:56 pm

So when a team presses the whole game even when down by a lot you're supposed to tell your team not to make layups when they break the press? Or should they break the press, hold the ball and wait for the other team to get back to play half court defense?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:53 pm

uh oh, this disease that I thought was only in Class B has now hit D2 basketball

Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:00 pm

heimer wrote:Message or not, there's a right way and a wrong way. This was the wrong way, pure and simple. We tell kids to lose with humility. Learn to win with it also.

Coaching needs to account for this. Unfortunately, in the B world, winning is all that matters.

Unbelievably offensive generalization, yet again, on Class B and its people. Can't say I'm surprised anymore.

Back to the topic. I will go off personal experience from my HS days in a small Class B school involving a blowout. It was early in the year and we didn't know how good or bad the opponent really was. Well by halftime we had a large lead, probably 30 points. The best scorers sat midway through the 2nd quarter. 2nd half starters are in and quickly benched early in the 3rd. In come some very young players who are crazy excited to see their first varsity action, and even more excited some seniors who are relegated to the end of the bench and may not see the minutes they are about the get for the rest of the year combined. We're talking about seniors that aren't even good enough to contribute to JV but get a spot of varsity because our school didn't cut anybody.

It was incredible: they played just as well if not better than the starters hitting shots and making plays you would never expect. We rolled the team by almost 70 which looks bad, but it wasn't. The other team knew the deep bench was in and it was just a bad night to forget. On our side it was really a magical night for those bench players and especially the seniors who got a chance to feel like all-state studs making plays in front of a raucous crowd.

I've also been apart of a large upset where we were expected to win by 30 and lost. You just never know.

I will agree with you on a certain team the last couple years where I felt they played like greedy children in blowouts, simply running up the score with pressure defense and fast break layups. But don't make that generalization towards all Class B top tier teams. Like others have said, you have to be at the game to see how it went down.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby LarryBirdFan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:37 pm

You might as well as Stanley to the list. They beat Burke country 83-20. It's not watford city's fault RT Struggles scoring and playing defense. You can tell a team to not play any defense and not try to score on offense. What if watford did work the shot clock each possession and the defense was so bad that they still got Layups. That's crazy talk thinking that a team should play half intense basketball against a team. The winning team isn't getting any better by doing that. As long as they aren't pressing full court watford city did nothing wrong. That's the problem with society. People want everything handed to them so if they aren't good, people should roll over and not try as hard so it's closer? If a team wants to get better put in the time!!!
LarryBirdFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:02 am

I find it interesting that all we talk about are these blowouts on the girls side...there have been two EXTREMELY lopsided games in ND Class B BBB hoops this year and no one is complaining about those scores (85 & 103 point wins).

In the end, yes some teams are poor and the opposing team calls 'off the dogs' as the score gets lopsided. I can't imagine the 103 point win that the winning team slowed down at all...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Baller » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:07 am

Century 98 - Williston 28.

Maybe century should have played watford city and Williston could have played WC's opponent.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:46 am

See it on the boys Class B side as well.
112-50
101-16
120-17
97-38
106-34
93-17
Happens every year to some extent. I think when the 2nd string gets in it becomes a race to see if they can reach the century mark. Hard to coach kids to play at half throttle, especially if subs are playing close to same level as the main 5 and the opposing team is really weak. Only option is a class c for smaller schools, but sometimes larger schools have weak or rebuilding years so may not be a solvable problem.
north1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby heimer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:20 am

As long as there's that much apathy toward wrecking the game, there's not much more to be said.

That being said, I've found a very small measure of penalty that I can impose on teams that do this, in my own, very limited manner.

It's not enough, but it helps me sleep at night.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby north1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Problem with any possible solutions is getting a general consensus. Probably get flamed for possible solutions, but here it goes.

50 point lead:

1. Suspend shot clock.
2. Running game clock.

Any others?
north1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:17 am

north1 wrote:Problem with any possible solutions is getting a general consensus. Probably get flamed for possible solutions, but here it goes.

50 point lead:

1. Suspend shot clock.
2. Running game clock.

Any others?

I don't see anything wrong with that. When we prepare for baseball and softball games, we have scoring limits or the game gets called early. It isn't usually worth driving 2 hours to blow a team out in 3 or 5 innings.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:01 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
north1 wrote:Problem with any possible solutions is getting a general consensus. Probably get flamed for possible solutions, but here it goes.

50 point lead:

1. Suspend shot clock.
2. Running game clock.

Any others?

I don't see anything wrong with that. When we prepare for baseball and softball games, we have scoring limits or the game gets called early. It isn't usually worth driving 2 hours to blow a team out in 3 or 5 innings.

MN does running clock at 35 points...I think a 35 point lead going into the 4th quarter we could do 1 or both of the suggested above. I wouldn't wait until 50 points.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Previous

Return to Girls