2015 STATE TOURNEY

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins State?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Bishop Ryan
57%
Kindred
7%
Lakota/Edmore
17%
Thompson
7%
Parshall
2%
LaMoure-LM
5%
Shiloh Christian
5%
Dickinson Trinity
No votes

Total votes : 42

Re: 2015 STATE TOURNEY

Postby d_fense » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:58 am

I get what you are saying. We just play by different rules. When I hand brackets out to students, they fill them out before the tournament starts. Does anyone fill out their "March Maddness" bracket and redo picks after each round?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:07 am

d_fense wrote:I get what you are saying. We just play by different rules. When I hand brackets out to students, they fill them out before the tournament starts. Does anyone fill out their "March Maddness" bracket and redo picks after each round?

Some sites allow that now ;) but yes I get what you are saying.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby kingjames101 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:46 am

bequickdonthurry wrote:
kingjames101 wrote:
Great perspective view. I have to agree with you on all of these opinions. I really feel Fallyn should have been awarded senior athlete of the year n hope they don't make that same mistake voting Stewart over her for Ms. Basketball.....

They?

The media selects Miss BB. The coaches selected Sr AotY.

They he or she. Very disappointed in the voting. Fallyn had stronger stats n is a better all around player than Stewart. Sad that is is how they reward a student athlete for their heart hard work n dedication to a sport by giving to the individual with all the hype in the championship game with lesser all around stats n play. I really hope Fallyn gets better recognition for Ms. Basketball rather than Stewart being rewarded for state title credits.
As for starters staying floor there is more to this. I watched coach Stewart n she wanted to take girls out earlier ( 5:25 left in 4th) but she continued to look at her husband in the stands n he would shake his head No. (This happened several times) After looking for his permission the 7th time Lol he have her the node to finally start removing starters off of floor. I was right there watching n laughing as this went on. She looked to him several times during the game getting signals in which I didn't think she needed help but it made it more fun to watch him call sum of shots during the game. The crowd around me was also watching I made the joke that when she got coach of the year they gave her 2 plaques ufffda good thing for that so her husband got his recognition for coaching lol. Good tournament over all. LM gets my vote for hardest working team for overall tournament amoung all their players. Great job girls!!!!! We will see u again in years to come.
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:28 pm

bequickdonthurry wrote:How does Larry Louser keep the PA job?

Could not agree more. I watched the tourney on TV and his inability to pronounce names (especially on the third night) and his stumbling over words, etc.... made it hard to listen to. Hopefully he retires and the next time Minot hosts a state tournament they get someone new in there.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Shawn » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Try to remember the big picture. They're kids, let them enjoy whatever accolades come their way. The only fault they are guilty of are the countless hours of sweat, many moments of tears (some we get to see, many which we don't), the almost daily thoughts of fear of not being good enough that lead them to practice that much harder all for the sake of being the best they can be. Whatever politics coaches play or the media play when it comes to voting, I'm sure these kids could care less. However, being talked about personally and having to read people cutting you down may be something these kids do care about. Some may not, all depends of the self-confidence each athlete has. Contrary to popular belief, being a top athlete does not mean you are immune to hurt feelings and thoughts of self doubt. Once these athletes get to college, what awards you won in high school will be irrelevant anyway. Let us all be appreciative of the feat we just witnessed. Might be another 30 years before you hear a team compared to this Bishop Ryan team. Just like it took over 25 years for a team to be compared to the Beach Buccaneers. Let us remember the great state tournament we got to watch. Great stories, great athletes. Let us not forget all of that can be taken away in a blink of an eye.
Shawn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:59 pm

Shawn wrote:Try to remember the big picture. They're kids, let them enjoy whatever accolades come their way. The only fault they are guilty of are the countless hours of sweat, many moments of tears (some we get to see, many which we don't), the almost daily thoughts of fear of not being good enough that lead them to practice that much harder all for the sake of being the best they can be. Whatever politics coaches play or the media play when it comes to voting, I'm sure these kids could care less. However, being talked about personally and having to read people cutting you down may be something these kids do care about. Some may not, all depends of the self-confidence each athlete has. Contrary to popular belief, being a top athlete does not mean you are immune to hurt feelings and thoughts of self doubt. Once these athletes get to college, what awards you won in high school will be irrelevant anyway. Let us all be appreciative of the feat we just witnessed. Might be another 30 years before you hear a team compared to this Bishop Ryan team. Just like it took over 25 years for a team to be compared to the Beach Buccaneers. Let us remember the great state tournament we got to watch. Great stories, great athletes. Let us not forget all of that can be taken away in a blink of an eye.

Extremely well said!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:06 pm

Until ridiculous claims of "best team ever" are made about Ryan.

Katie Richards' Hope-Page teams, which never made a state tournament, would have chewed up Ryan and spit them out.

Best ever. Minot Ryan is winning at a time where the quality of B girls basketball is at an all-time low. Get over yourself.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Shawn » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:23 pm

My post refers to all the kids in the state tournament. I have zero ties to Bishop Ryan or any of the teams if that matters. :?:
Shawn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kingjames101 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:23 pm

heimer wrote:Until ridiculous claims of "best team ever" are made about Ryan.

Katie Richards' Hope-Page teams, which never made a state tournament, would have chewed up Ryan and spit them out.

Best ever. Minot Ryan is winning at a time where the quality of B girls basketball is at an all-time low. Get over yourself.

Absolutely right. Average teams at best playing average ball. So we have a above average team during low levels of basketball in the state n they set records n they are the best. Not even close. They are a class A team with sum rules of class B teams that get to play in the B class n lost to a class A team. Get over the hype. They are or Were good but not great.
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:31 pm

Claims of Ryan are no where near as ridiculous as claiming Katie Richards teams being able to beat this years Ryan team and spit them out. Beat them???? Maybe once or twice out of 10 attempts, maybe.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:43 pm

d_fense wrote:Claims of Ryan are no where near as ridiculous as claiming Katie Richards teams being able to beat this years Ryan team and spit them out. Beat them???? Maybe once or twice out of 10 attempts, maybe.

I don't think Richards teams beat Ryan. Richards was a beast though.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby pmu » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Shawn wrote:Try to remember the big picture. They're kids, let them enjoy whatever accolades come their way. The only fault they are guilty of are the countless hours of sweat, many moments of tears (some we get to see, many which we don't), the almost daily thoughts of fear of not being good enough that lead them to practice that much harder all for the sake of being the best they can be. Whatever politics coaches play or the media play when it comes to voting, I'm sure these kids could care less. However, being talked about personally and having to read people cutting you down may be something these kids do care about. Some may not, all depends of the self-confidence each athlete has. Contrary to popular belief, being a top athlete does not mean you are immune to hurt feelings and thoughts of self doubt. Once these athletes get to college, what awards you won in high school will be irrelevant anyway. Let us all be appreciative of the feat we just witnessed. Might be another 30 years before you hear a team compared to this Bishop Ryan team. Just like it took over 25 years for a team to be compared to the Beach Buccaneers. Let us remember the great state tournament we got to watch. Great stories, great athletes. Let us not forget all of that can be taken away in a blink of an eye.

Most insightful quote I've seen on this thread. Almost every post here is a jab or a juvenile provocation. Everyone needs to remember that these are kids; some of which undoubtedly read the reckless garbage that gets written on this site. It's pretty simple...If you wouldn't write it about your own kid, don't write it about it about someone else's.
pmu
NDPreps Rookie

Postby go maji » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Can someone inform me on this " Katie Richards".
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:42 pm

go maji wrote:Can someone inform me on this " Katie Richards".

Oh, you must by young. Katie was a stud from Page. She was bigger and stronger than most posts and handled the ball better than most points. She was aggressive, strong, and busted her a$$ all the time. She was one of 3 Miss Basketballs her senior year. She went to UND and had a very good career. I know she spent some time coaching the boys at MPCG. One of our states best.

Katie is one of very few girls that I have thought could have been alright if she would have played with the boys.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby BigCat » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:02 pm

Given this is a thread concerning the state tournament, I would like to give my opinion on a few things concerning the event. First, I thought the announcer at the state VB tournament was hard to understand and lacking of presentation. She was just out done by an announcer at the girls B state tourney that obviously needs stronger cheaters or larger type. In all seriousness, the event, teams, and girls competing deserve a few small courtesies. First would be someone professional enough to proofread or be able to pronounce the players names correctly. Seondly, it would be nice if he could get the right player with the right town. One players first name on the all tournament team was pronounced three diffent ways before finally being pronounced incorrectly. Serious NDHSAA? I would also like to suggest a few, what I would call, commons sense seating arrangements. I know there are issues with reserved seating, but when you have fan bases for the championship game shoved in the corners on the same side of the facility, I once again question the decision. Would it not be nice to have the fan bases of the championship game seated center and on opposite sides of the facility for obvious reasons including the ability to see the entire floor and give an opporunity to see their kids play the game? Nothing that the NDHSAA does anymore surpises me including what i have mentioned along with the track meet fiasco which would not allow teams to bring in water for their athletes. Serious NDHSAA? I am starting to think your budget is raised by selling snickers bars and pizzas at school events. C'mon man! I am going to ask the NDHSAA to give some thought to thinking about the state events as something special and not treat it like a hokey dokey, cost cutting, 1970's style event. Its 2015 my friends! Put some money and thought into our kids and the efforts and talent it took to get to the state events.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:59 am

I agree with you. The announcer for the awards ceremony was very poor, and I thought it was extremely rude on how he kept asking for the all-tournament team over the sound system as if someone had to go to the bus to get the list. The NDHSSA could easily get a communications or PR student to intern for them, and be responsible for coordinating these events. As for the water, I know that the Bowl in Bismarck has an exclusive contract with BSC and their concessions company, and I agree that it's dumb that teams can't bring their own water. At one event, we had our team walk out to the bus so they could eat their power bars before the "food police" caught them.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsphenom » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:49 am

Things that I took out of the state tournament.
1. LLM was definately my favorite team to watch, they are from my region and I've seen them play a couple of times and I was really impressed how well they handled themselves. This is the first time for them being there and they are young so I was happy to see how poised they were. And watch out Region 3, you have to put up with Anna Holen for the next 3 years. Fun team to watch that played with a lot of heart, even when they made silly turnovers they didn't let it bother them and they kept playing, also loved the non-selfish play.
2. I really thought someone else would have gotten coach of the year, not saying Stewart wasn't deserving of it but I could have coached that team. I've always strongly believed that coach of the year should go to a coach that has taken a program or a team and turned it around or who brought a team to state that wasn't favored to be there. I would have given it to Parshall or LLM.
3. Halftime entertainment was a yawn.
4. Agreeing with other posters on the announcing, seriously this is a state tournament we have to do better than that.
5. I don't like to complain about reffing but I thought they let them play too much. Don't get me wrong, I don't want ticky tack calls but when a girl is going up under the basket I don't think they should get hammered. But at least they were consistent both ways.
Overall a great tournament. Some good games, LLM and Kindred's semifinal game was great. Most people left during Ryan's games, just not that exciting to watch teams get crushed in a state tournament. Excited to see what next year brings for Girls bball as there will be no clear cut favorite as there has been the past couple of years.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby easterner » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:42 am

fandb wrote:
arewehavingfunyet wrote:I respect your opinion Nolan4, but when the 4th quarter started and the one starter was still in game, I switched the channel. Coaches need to teach players good sportsmanship. I will refrain from saying what I want to say and leave it at that.

Off base and unfounded. Talk to those around the program, associated or not, Coach Stewart has a program in which hard work, team first, student-athletes, citizenship, and sportsmanship are emphasized throughout. Too bad so many choose to tear down instead od celebrate. Some choose to look half empty.

Does that same coach tell her players to NOT shake the other teams hands at the championship game? Yes BR players didn't walk over to Kindred and shake their hands, Kindred players looked at each other and had their hands out and BR players turned around after shaking the coach's hand. I thought BR was a good Christian school? I don't care if its kindred or anybody, show some class BR. If your a champion, act like one. Just being honest here, but the last 2 yrs i've watched BR in the championship or state tournament, they are actually opposite of class(especially the coaches). Regarding tournament its self, will put notes of many many mistakes or over sites at the state tournament.
easterner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:10 am

Alright folks, most of you know what I do for a living, scorn me for it, whatever. But I'm going to cross-promote for a bit on this topic.

I started calling games in 1995 following Class B teams in southeast North Dakota at a variety of tournaments.

So, 20 years into this. That's not a lot, and most of you have probably seen more basketball than me, not less. That doesn't infringe upon my point, it actually makes it stronger.

Katie Richards is, quite frankly, the best girls basketball player I ever saw play the game. She was better than any player playing the game right now in North Dakota.

Richards won three straight national titles with UND, teaming up with Tonia Jones, another absolute stud player. These Division I commitments today are nothing compared to what Richards took on. She was called upon to dethrone NDSU as the tops of the womens college basketball world, and she did.

Had it not been for her being a home-town person, she would have gone DI, way ahead of any of these players now. I've seen the modern day DI commit end up finishing their careers at MSU-Moorhead or in the NAIA. I won't hold my breath on these modern-day players. They are basking in a tragic downturn in skill in the sport ever since girls basketball was moved to the winter.

Bottom line--Katie Richards' Hope-Page teams take 7 of 10 with Minot Ryan. This narrative of Ryan being the best ever is a sham meant to prop up a game struggling with talent, skill, and fan appeal problems.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:30 am

heimer...what years did Richards play HS??
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby easterner » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:51 am

1. I totally agree with everyone the announcer needs to prep for the tournament as well, no excuses for mispronouncing names and putting the players on the wrong team. And the joke at the end for the awards, totally uncalled for.
2.Did anybody else notice how the clock wasn't run right allot of the times? The second game it didn't run for over 30 seconds and when it started, they didn't take time off. And then the shot clock was a mess also, 5 times that we saw, it never reset correctly. One time in the championship game it never started in the middle of the 3rd quarter, considering who had the ball i wasn't shocked. And regards to TV timeouts, absolutely hate them, i understand why they are there, but time to rethink them. They just always seem to happen when the momentum is shifting or someone is making a run.
3. Seriously whats the purpose of having the people hold ropes on the floor to stop people from walking to the seats during play, but yet i can walk on the same floor during play to get out. Makes ZERO sense. And having us show our tickets AGAIN on the floor when we walked in on the second and 3rd day is just dumb, we waited in line at the ropes for over 3 minutes one day, i guess having our tickets scanned at the door wasn't enough.lol
4. Parking, wow, simply wow, never should minot state hold a state sponsored event again. I hate to be there on a full house night. I have other choice words about the parking but i'll keep it clean.
5. What is the rule if a team that don't have position of the ball in live play and calls a time out and the refs grant it to them? referring to the the BR called timeout in the championship. yes the refs called it, but the coached asked for it when kindred guard was at half court. In minn last yr the same thing happened and the refs called a "T" on the coach, even though the ref granted it. Shouldn't that of happened in this instance?
Final: ND has to drastically change how state tourney is run, last yr at fargo wasn't great, but alot better than minot. I'm thinking of emailing the board of directors of class b (i believe they are from valley city) and asking them to void the rule or whatever about the water and food situation, in NO way should they have restrictions on teams for water or food, fans maybe, but players NO. Last years State track is still fresh in the mind, totally uncalled for. Last yr at track they put kids lives at risk by not having water in the warm up area until the last day. But the quality of play was overall good, the basket wasn't kind to some teams , but thats part of the game. Tying the tournament record for 3's was kinda cool for the Thompson player. Just a shout out to all players on a hard played tournament, hard work will always pay off at the end.
easterner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:01 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:heimer...what years did Richards play HS??

I believe she graduated in 1996? Was the co-Miss Bball in 1995? I know she was still playing at UND in 2000. I didn't see her play in HS but did quite a bit in college and she was a heck of a player. Also coached against her a bit when she was at Hope-Page and MPCG. Like someone said before, could have easily gone to a larger "d-1" school instead of UND but chose to play close to home. That's why the term "d-1 recruit" really doesn't mean anything to me. There are a lot of players that could go d-1 but choose otherwise for a variety of reasons, but doesn't mean they are any less talented than the ones to do play at a d-1 school.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:56 am

ndlionsfan wrote:

I believe she graduated in 1996? Was the co-Miss Bball in 1995? I know she was still playing at UND in 2000. I didn't see her play in HS but did quite a bit in college and she was a heck of a player. Also coached against her a bit when she was at Hope-Page and MPCG. Like someone said before, could have easily gone to a larger "d-1" school instead of UND but chose to play close to home. That's why the term "d-1 recruit" really doesn't mean anything to me. There are a lot of players that could go d-1 but choose otherwise for a variety of reasons, but doesn't mean they are any less talented than the ones to do play at a d-1 school.

I think the year she won Miss Basketball, there were 3 winners. Richards was an outstanding player, but I thought Nina Topp who was an amazing ball-handler and should have won it outright. I know that college commitments doesn't exactly reflect talent, but Topp was a D1 recruit and led her team to a state championship when Class B talent was at a very high level.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:29 pm

I know that the record of 83 straight (for ryan vs class b) or whatever it be is unheard of and virtually impossible imo.....I dont think its because girls ball is down (dont buy that) even if they switch from fall to summer or spring vs winter has no effect on the game...the problem is enrollment numbers (not participation numbers, although that plays a small part in the small programs) ..........its obvious because of the record I stated above that some teams form up under the blanket of opportunity that some programs have over others (use your noggin on this one) ....but with that said...RUN... what are some impressive records in the last 4 years? other than the Ryan one in girls class B ball...thanks :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:34 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

I think the year she won Miss Basketball, there were 3 winners. Richards was an outstanding player, but I thought Nina Topp who was an amazing ball-handler and should have won it outright. I know that college commitments doesn't exactly reflect talent, but Topp was a D1 recruit and led her team to a state championship when Class B talent was at a very high level.

And I thought Topp was the third best player that year. The other winner was Lisa Maus. She went to Mary and was NAIA player of the year in leading Mary to a National Championship. I would have ranked them, Richards, Maus, and then Topp.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Girls