Starting 5

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Starting 5

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:25 am

There are a lot of outstanding players, but GREAT athletes help teams win championships. I think that this is a unique state that we have a 6'3" player who actually leads her team to championships and is actually in a graduating class of talented players who could have also done that but didn't, and we debate on whether or not she is the best player simply because it may have been too easy for her. Even their coach doesn't get credit for it because its her daughter, but nobody said that about the Kidder County coach or the grandpa coach from Beach. Its just weird.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:53 am

vikingman wrote:Kvilvang stats -- 18.4 ppg, 12.2 rebs, 4.4 blks, 76% FT, 2-pt % 42%, 3-pt % 42%. That block average is low, there were at least 3 games were blocked shot stats weren't kept (either that or we had 0 blocked shots those games for every player. I don't think that's likely).

Next year all should definitely go up. 2pt % needs to improve tho, with her height she should be 60% or higher. I could see her averaging 25/15/5 next year
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:11 am

scoobyx2 wrote:There are a lot of outstanding players, but GREAT athletes help teams win championships. I think that this is a unique state that we have a 6'3" player who actually leads her team to championships and is actually in a graduating class of talented players who could have also done that but didn't, and we debate on whether or not she is the best player simply because it may have been too easy for her. Even their coach doesn't get credit for it because its her daughter, but nobody said that about the Kidder County coach or the grandpa coach from Beach. Its just weird.

I don't agree with you and I do agree with you. I won't say anything negative about any of these players because they are all incredibly talented. However, if we have all of them in Class B, would a team of Fallyn Freije and Lexi Klabo win state? Gabbie Bohl and Lexi Klabo? Lexi Klabo and Hannah Stewart? Jordyn Jossart and Fallyn Freije?

What Stewart and Bohl have done at Bishop Ryan is amazing. Remember though, it is Stewart AND Bohl. That said, it's pretty amazing that Klabo has done what she has done. Or Freije has made state 3 out of 4 times playing in a very small market. Jossart won't get her due credit as her numbers don't jump off the page, but she also has 2 state titles, leads her conference in scoring, and will be only the second player at CHS to score 1000. All of these players had Division 1 offers!

Also, penalizing Jossart or Klabo for losing to Shanley seems unfair as Ryan also lost to Shanley.

Again, not bashing any player, and I will have nothing negative to say about anyone who wins because they are all so talented and humble. Can't wait for Grand Am!
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:36 am

balla45 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:There are a lot of outstanding players, but GREAT athletes help teams win championships. I think that this is a unique state that we have a 6'3" player who actually leads her team to championships and is actually in a graduating class of talented players who could have also done that but didn't, and we debate on whether or not she is the best player simply because it may have been too easy for her. Even their coach doesn't get credit for it because its her daughter, but nobody said that about the Kidder County coach or the grandpa coach from Beach. Its just weird.

I don't agree with you and I do agree with you. I won't say anything negative about any of these players because they are all incredibly talented. However, if we have all of them in Class B, would a team of Fallyn Freije and Lexi Klabo win state? Gabbie Bohl and Lexi Klabo? Lexi Klabo and Hannah Stewart? Jordyn Jossart and Fallyn Freije?

What Stewart and Bohl have done at Bishop Ryan is amazing. Remember though, it is Stewart AND Bohl. That said, it's pretty amazing that Klabo has done what she has done. Or Freije has made state 3 out of 4 times playing in a very small market. Jossart won't get her due credit as her numbers don't jump off the page, but she also has 2 state titles, leads her conference in scoring, and will be only the second player at CHS to score 1000. All of these players had Division 1 offers!

Also, penalizing Jossart or Klabo for losing to Shanley seems unfair as Ryan also lost to Shanley.

Again, not bashing any player, and I will have nothing negative to say about anyone who wins because they are all so talented and humble. Can't wait for Grand Am!

I also want to start off by saying that all the girls mentioned are excellent players and we should be proud of how they are representing our state. With that said, I am not saying that simply being on a winning team determines who should win, but if you are talking about 4 or 5 high caliber of players who are all individually very deserving then the "tie breaker" should be how they led their teams. Other than the 2 Ryan players, Jossart is the only other player in this discussion that has a state champion (or 2) on her resume, but she wasn't a starter for 1 of them, and wasn't MVP at either of them like Stewart. Out of all the players who could get "overlooked" individually because of the team she is on, I think it's Gabbie Bohl. She would have been a headliner if she would have played on any other team in the state. She could have easily gone to a D1 school to play, but chose a D2 school because she felt it was a better fit. That doesn't make her less talented compared to a player who accepted a D1 offer.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nolan4 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:01 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

I also want to start off by saying that all the girls mentioned are excellent players and we should be proud of how they are representing our state. With that said, I am not saying that simply being on a winning team determines who should win, but if you are talking about 4 or 5 high caliber of players who are all individually very deserving then the "tie breaker" should be how they led their teams. Other than the 2 Ryan players, Jossart is the only other player in this discussion that has a state champion (or 2) on her resume, but she wasn't a starter for 1 of them, and wasn't MVP at either of them like Stewart. Out of all the players who could get "overlooked" individually because of the team she is on, I think it's Gabbie Bohl. She would have been a headliner if she would have played on any other team in the state. She could have easily gone to a D1 school to play, but chose a D2 school because she felt it was a better fit. That doesn't make her less talented compared to a player who accepted a D1 offer.

As far as Bohl goes, she is just a slight below the other girls mentioned and i know she could have chosen NDSU, but IMO i think she chose a D2 school cuz she probably wont have to redshirt and at a D1 i think she would need a yr to get stronger and maybe doesnt want to wait......also the possibility of more playing time at a D2 school would be more appealing for some players, i know it would for me in that situation...........no different for some of the lesser talented but still talented players that chose a JC over a 4 yr, the chance to play right away.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:18 pm

nolan4 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

As far as Bohl goes, she is just a slight below the other girls mentioned and i know she could have chosen NDSU, but IMO i think she chose a D2 school cuz she probably wont have to redshirt and at a D1 i think she would need a yr to get stronger and maybe doesnt want to wait......also the possibility of more playing time at a D2 school would be more appealing for some players, i know it would for me in that situation...........no different for some of the lesser talented but still talented players that chose a JC over a 4 yr, the chance to play right away.

I agree. There is so much to consider when deciding to play at the next level, and where. Degree programs, play time, location, family involvement, etc. are all considered.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sticks11 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:28 pm

balla45 wrote:I would have Jaye Two Bears run the point, Fallyn Freije and Rylee Nudell on the wings, with Bohl and Stewart starting in the posts. Would bring Kvilvang off the bench. Freije can play the point when Two Bears is out. Stewart can slide to the three if we have Bohl and Kvilvang in at the same time. I would just run double high ball screen action in to pick and pop/roll stuff, and eventually get high low looks. Defensively, we are going to play a few different half court mans and zones, and dare teams to score over our length. Also like that all of my posts can step out and hit a perimeter jumper as/if needed.

That's a good 6 right there. They'd be unreal on offense. However, defensively as tough as you could get I think.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:43 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:All of these players mentioned are great ball players. With these players tho, a true point guard is not really needed considering even Stewart would not really play a post position. I would run a 2-3 option and look for a mismatch with Stewart all day.

Can I be your assistant? Sounds like we have very similar styles.

scoobyx2 wrote:Stewart should get Miss Basketball. If the season finishes off as anticipated, 4 state tournament appearances, possibly 3 state championships, 3 MVP honors, 4 All-State recognition awards, and a college commitment to a Big 10 school. I don't really know any other athlete that has accomplished what she has, and shouldn't be penalized because she plays on a good team. Next year will be a bigger question. Do they go with Rylee Nudell who may break the all-time high school scoring record and has already verbally committed to a D1 school, or Sarah Jacobson who may have 3 Class A state championships and MVP honors, and whose mom was the 1st winner?

Completely agree. And in the past voters usually look at the combination of individual skill with team accomplishments, so I think Stewart will win.

Let's not forget Sarah Jacobson's brother won it, and I'm assuming what would be her cousin would have won it in the late 90s if he hadn't moved away before his senior year. Quite the BB bloodline!
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:53 pm

If I remember correctly, which I usually do, they are not related.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:12 am

balla45 wrote:If I remember correctly, which I usually do, they are not related.

I'm pretty sure you are correct balla45! :)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby east sider » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:17 am

And that folks is how rumors get started. My bad. I wonder about Ben Jacobson from Mayport. Of course it's a very common last name, but you never know!
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Ben Jacobson and Nick are first cousins. Their fathers are brothers. They are not related to AJ and Sarah.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Girls