Early Edition 2015-2016 Top 10

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Early Edition 2015-2016 Top 10

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:00 am

BigCat wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:
lions700 wrote:Don't sleep on Bishop Ryan again. Coach Stewart gets them to work hard all offseason long by lifting weights, shooting around, attending camps, etc. And she coaches them well once the season starts. They will return Schmidt, and a freshman and sophomore 6th and 7th man from this year. They also will have 4 six foot girls next year, one being Hannah Stewart's younger sister, presently a 7th grader. If not next year, Ryan will be competing for states titles in 2-3 years again.

I am chuckling as I write this as I can't wait to see the paybacks on the perceived 80, 90, 100 point run-ups. I am going to guess that teams next year will be leaving their starters in until 1:00 left as well!

I really don't see too many teams that will be athletic enough to run up the score on very many teams. I am more chuckling at how many people think everyone is going to crush Ryan next year, and will then complain that privates have a huge advantage if they comeback competitive.

I don't think there will be that many complaints as everyone truly in class "B" (class B public schools) already views the privates/parochials as the outsiders who should have their own league or be classified as class "A". Its not the fact that they are considered power houses, its their attitude that "B" is their sandbox and they can do whatever they want or need to do to be competitive of dominate. Would Ryan have dominated in class "A"? No, but they would have been competitive in a leagure where they belong given their advantages.

I actually do agree with you. I just think Ryan will be competitive next year. When Shiloh, Ryan, Trinity, or Oak Grove kids can't field enough players for a sport, they get to play for a Class A school because they live in a Class A community. They usually don't drive 20+ miles to go play with another Class B school (please correct me if I am wrong on that). I think Ryan sends their kids to Minot High and Trinity to Dickinson, and Shiloh to the Bismarck Schools for swimming, tennis, soccer, softball, hockey, etc. They are not in the same situation as a player from Marion. In football, Bismarck St. Mary's and Fargo Shanley competes at the same level as Maple Valley-Enderlin and I think Northern Cass. I think they are closer to being in the same class as Williston and Dickinson.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby lions700 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:17 pm

BigCat wrote:
lions700 wrote:Don't sleep on Bishop Ryan again. Coach Stewart gets them to work hard all offseason long by lifting weights, shooting around, attending camps, etc. And she coaches them well once the season starts. They will return Schmidt, and a freshman and sophomore 6th and 7th man from this year. They also will have 4 six foot girls next year, one being Hannah Stewart's younger sister, presently a 7th grader. If not next year, Ryan will be competing for states titles in 2-3 years again.

I am chuckling as I write this as I can't wait to see the paybacks on the perceived 80, 90, 100 point run-ups. I am going to guess that teams next year will be leaving their starters in until 1:00 left as well!

You have to leave your starters in for a while. You can't pull them out at halftime, play half a game for two months, then expect your girls to be conditioned and know how to play a whole game at the state tournament.
People just don't get it. You have to get used to playing 28 plus minutes.
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lions700 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:21 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

I really don't see too many teams that will be athletic enough to run up the score on very many teams. I am more chuckling at how many people think everyone is going to crush Ryan next year, and will then complain that privates have a huge advantage if they comeback competitive.

I don't think there will be that many complaints as everyone truly in class "B" (class B public schools) already views the privates/parochials as the outsiders who should have their own league or be classified as class "A". Its not the fact that they are considered power houses, its their attitude that "B" is their sandbox and they can do whatever they want or need to do to be competitive of dominate. Would Ryan have dominated in class "A"? No, but they would have been competitive in a leagure where they belong given their advantages.

I actually do agree with you. I just think Ryan will be competitive next year. When Shiloh, Ryan, Trinity, or Oak Grove kids can't field enough players for a sport, they get to play for a Class A school because they live in a Class A community. They usually don't drive 20+ miles to go play with another Class B school (please correct me if I am wrong on that). I think Ryan sends their kids to Minot High and Trinity to Dickinson, and Shiloh to the Bismarck Schools for swimming, tennis, soccer, softball, hockey, etc. They are not in the same situation as a player from Marion. In football, Bismarck St. Mary's and Fargo Shanley competes at the same level as Maple Valley-Enderlin and I think Northern Cass. I think they are closer to being in the same class as Williston and Dickinson.

If you don't know Bishop Ryan has a softball team, you've been under a rock for the last five years. They crush Minot in fastpitch, they have almost beaten West Fargo the last three years in the Class A title game. They are so good, they play class A.
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Postby go maji » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:09 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

You are correct, I do think some Ryan kids play for Minot (swimming, hockey, etc.). But 1 or 2 at the most.
Or they will just all-out transfer.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:59 am

go maji wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

You are correct, I do think some Ryan kids play for Minot (swimming, hockey, etc.). But 1 or 2 at the most.

It will be interesting to see what they do with fastpitch softball. They have chosen to play in Class A because the competition is higher, and their players get more recognition. It gave the program a lot of recognition as opposed to the other Class B teams that are trying to put a team together. When Stewart graduates, will they stay Class A? This is an example of the advantages privates have over other Class B students.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:18 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
go maji wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

It will be interesting to see what they do with fastpitch softball. They have chosen to play in Class A because the competition is higher, and their players get more recognition. It gave the program a lot of recognition as opposed to the other Class B teams that are trying to put a team together. When Stewart graduates, will they stay Class A? This is an example of the advantages privates have over other Class B students.

Any school/team can "opt-up" in any sport if they really wanted to, it's not just private schools.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:23 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:It will be interesting to see what they do with fastpitch softball. They have chosen to play in Class A because the competition is higher, and their players get more recognition. It gave the program a lot of recognition as opposed to the other Class B teams that are trying to put a team together. When Stewart graduates, will they stay Class A? This is an example of the advantages privates have over other Class B students.

I don't see the advantage in this example. They had some interest in starting a softball program a long time ago, so they started one. I believe they had one before it was sanctioned. In the past, they were about the only class B team to have one, so they played the class A schools. With softball being a unique skill based sport, they were miles ahead of the other class B teams that have started up in the last few years. Because of this, it'd be pointless to play those class B schools. To answer your question, I fully believe they'll stay class A in the coming years. They develop enough of a true program to sustain it. They will probably not continue to be in the state title every year without Stewart in the circle though.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:36 pm

Indy5 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:It will be interesting to see what they do with fastpitch softball. They have chosen to play in Class A because the competition is higher, and their players get more recognition. It gave the program a lot of recognition as opposed to the other Class B teams that are trying to put a team together. When Stewart graduates, will they stay Class A? This is an example of the advantages privates have over other Class B students.

I don't see the advantage in this example. They had some interest in starting a softball program a long time ago, so they started one. I believe they had one before it was sanctioned. In the past, they were about the only class B team to have one, so they played the class A schools. With softball being a unique skill based sport, they were miles ahead of the other class B teams that have started up in the last few years. Because of this, it'd be pointless to play those class B schools. To answer your question, I fully believe they'll stay class A in the coming years. They develop enough of a true program to sustain it. They will probably not continue to be in the state title every year without Stewart in the circle though.

There is another Stewart coming, and she pitches too!!
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:47 am

Indy5 wrote:

I am not debating whether or not they should be Class A in softball. I am simply pointing out the advantages that a school that is located within city limits without an assigned enrollment boundary has. Do they have the option to go down to Class B? If they don't have enough numbers, can they coop with another Class A school with no additional travel? Can they wait and see if they have enough and determine before the season? Stanley students don't have those choices simply because there aren't enough kids (that's the biggest Class B challenge), but Dickinson Trinity students do, or Minot Ryan. I understand that ALL Class B schools have the option to opt up, but planning doesn't really work for that.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:27 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

I am not debating whether or not they should be Class A in softball. I am simply pointing out the advantages that a school that is located within city limits without an assigned enrollment boundary has. Do they have the option to go down to Class B? If they don't have enough numbers, can they coop with another Class A school with no additional travel? Can they wait and see if they have enough and determine before the season? Stanley students don't have those choices simply because there aren't enough kids (that's the biggest Class B challenge), but Dickinson Trinity students do, or Minot Ryan. I understand that ALL Class B schools have the option to opt up, but planning doesn't really work for that.

My point was dealing with the last sentence of your first post. Yeah, they probably would go to Minot High, if they didn't have softball, but that's not the situation. What I was getting across is they had enough interest to start a program and they did. They don't have help from anywhere else but their school. Any class B team in any part of the state could have done this.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:36 am

Indy5 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

My point was dealing with the last sentence of your first post. Yeah, they probably would go to Minot High, if they didn't have softball, but that's not the situation. What I was getting across is they had enough interest to start a program and they did. They don't have help from anywhere else but their school. Any class B team in any part of the state could have done this.

I am not claiming that they are operating with different rules. I am simply pointing out that they have inherit advantages over other Class B schools, and I am using just using softball as an example. One other school that also had a program when the sport started was Maple Valley-Enderlin. It would have been more convenient to simply compete with the Fargo teams, and MV-E especially started off with a very good pitcher, but they knew that they wouldn't have the numbers to continue to compete at a Class A level. Also when I say compete, I don't mean championships, I simply mean having enough players to make a game of it.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Girls