difference between region and super region with challange

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

difference between region and super region with challange

Postby Come to Play » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:25 am

I don't know if anyone else is confused about the difference between a region vs a super region.
It is a new thing this year but I feel it needs a simple explanation so there isn't so much confusion out there. In addition, is there any double eliminations involved? Just for the fact if a great team has worked their tail off during the season, was rewarded with automatic seed into the region, and then has one bad night as anyone does, shouldn't there be at least one challenge game like in the old district play? At least a region team that has gotten to this level should be allowed something. Yes, don't bring the house down on me with an answer like, "oh no, that would extend the regionals another night!" Who cares, at least a great season and regional qualifier team has earned this opportunity, unlike the old challenge game in the old district format where a pathetic team even had a second chance.......
Come to Play
NDPreps Rookie

Re: difference between region and super region with challang

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:26 am

No...It is tournament time. Win or go home.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:14 am

NodakQ2 wrote:No...It is tournament time. Win or go home.

I agree. We have to assume every team is working hard all year, and every team starts over at tournament time. When I played in high school, there were 4 districts in our region. If we earned a 1st round bye, we were really nervous about that semi-final game because they only took 2 to regionals. It meant something.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BigCat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:56 am

NodakQ2 wrote:No...It is tournament time. Win or go home.

I'm okay with the super region as I have always been a supporter of "one and done." Of course I am old enough to have experienced the single district winner advancing to region. Yeah, we all hate to have the bad game at the wrong time, but if its going to happen its going to happen. This is where the things like health, bench strenght and depth matter. I truly believe that a State Champion (which is the goal) has to plan on running the table after the regular seaon anyway!! Just my opinion!
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:27 pm

I am not allowed to post or contribute on http://www.northdakotapreps.com until I reveal which Division 1 basketball program I work for.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Come to Play wrote:I don't know if anyone else is confused about the difference between a region vs a super region.
It is a new thing this year but I feel it needs a simple explanation so there isn't so much confusion out there. In addition, is there any double eliminations involved? Just for the fact if a great team has worked their tail off during the season, was rewarded with automatic seed into the region, and then has one bad night as anyone does, shouldn't there be at least one challenge game like in the old district play? At least a region team that has gotten to this level should be allowed something. Yes, don't bring the house down on me with an answer like, "oh no, that would extend the regionals another night!" Who cares, at least a great season and regional qualifier team has earned this opportunity, unlike the old challenge game in the old district format where a pathetic team even had a second chance.......

The "region" tournament has a tournament preceding it - the district. A super region puts all teams in the region in one hat right from the start. In each of these formats, there is no second chance for anyone. It's win or go home. The difference is the district tournaments are gone.

IN both cases, the result is a single winner so it pretty much has to be single elimination. And personally, I like it that way. If someone pulls off an upset they should be rewarded, not only by advancing in the tournament but also by knocking the favored team out of the tournament. It forces teams to bring their A-game every night. And if you can't do that you don't deserve to be called "Champion."
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigCat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:58 pm

Hinsa wrote:
Come to Play wrote:I don't know if anyone else is confused about the difference between a region vs a super region.

The "region" tournament has a tournament preceding it - the district. A super region puts all teams in the region in one hat right from the start. In each of these formats, there is no second chance for anyone. It's win or go home. The difference is the district tournaments are gone.
IN both cases, the result is a single winner so it pretty much has to be single elimination. And personally, I like it that way. If someone pulls off an upset they should be rewarded, not only by advancing in the tournament but also by knocking the favored team out of the tournament. It forces teams to bring their A-game every night. And if you can't do that you don't deserve to be called "Champion."

You said exactly the same thing that I did only differently. Must be that my view comes from being a GB Packer follower vs. a Viking view.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:13 pm

BigCat wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

You said exactly the same thing that I did only differently. Must be that my view comes from being a GB Packer follower vs. a Viking view.

Good one! ROTFL! :lol: We don't talk the same language - cheesehead vs. ScandiHOOvian!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigCat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:06 pm

Hinsa wrote:
BigCat wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

Good one! ROTFL! :lol: We don't talk the same language - cheesehead vs. ScandiHOOvian!

Nah! wer're good! I am guessing we drink out of the same cup.
Last edited by BigCat on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Come to Play » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:10 pm

Exactly scc.... This is the way I like to think of it in steps:
1. districts play within their expanded region all year and winning is rewarded
2. Regional tournament
3. State tournament
Come to Play
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Girls