2015 Region Tourneys

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2015 Region Tourneys

Postby Sniper » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:13 pm

nolan4 wrote:
Sniper wrote:Region 1: Kindred
Region 2: Thompson
Region 3: LaMoure-LM
Region 4: North Star
Region 5: Garrison
Region 6: Minot Ryan
Region 7: Dickinson Trinity
Region 8: Watford City

Sniper and Scoobyx, as much as I would love to see Garrison coming out of Region 5, I think that is a crazy(little harsh) prediction.......Garrison has a great record, but only team they played all yr was Parshall and lost by 23 pts...............I do think Region 3 is a tossup, I have Carrington tho...........North Star game vs Lakota might be tossup too, I just like Lakota again this yr. I dont know Kindred or FCT but listened to the FCT game vs Maple Valley last night, FCT sounds good and they are young to boot.

I would total agree that Garrison coming out of Region 5 is a long shot. Garrison had a fairly weak regular season schedule, played in a weak district and had the two other best teams in Region 5 on the other side of the regional tournament bracket. I feel like there will be an upset or two this year and this is one that I thought was most likely. If Two Bears was fully healthy this would be a very different story.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:18 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:LE is led by Freije but I disagree that other girls for LE are not capable of stepping up. This team has played very well together and they know their roles and is what is expected of them. LE's Pesek and Halberg can shoot well and capable of hitting threes but this team is based on Freije working inside and
hitting her shot or hitting other girls who come open when she draws the defense. The last couple of games teams have worked on denying the pass from Freije and forcing her to shoot with pressure on her based on belief she alone can't beat them. Freije has responded well with additional scoring and with their defense it has been enough to win. They also play very good defense for four quarters and then rebound well. The game with Northstar to me comes down to if LE is able to play its aggressive defense and if they control the boards. The style of play will be determined by referees and is going to have big effect on this game. If its a game where teams are allowed to become physical I think LE wins going away and if its one where referees blow the whistle a lot I would put Northstar with the advantage. In the past the region championship is usually tough physical game but so far this year refereeng has appeared other way this year in region 4. Also Northstar has played either close or lost to teams that match up with them size wise this year and LE will match up with Northstar fairly close. I think its going to be very close game and how game is refereed is going to be determining factor.

I'm wondering who said this...surly wasn't me....I do disagree with the reffing theory though....unless of course its leaned one direction but in the region tourn that is usually not the case.
I also think its going to be a close game, but in close games its a shot missed here or a missed free throw etc etc.
FF spreads the wealth real well and will get others open looks....but down the stretch if need be she can take over....I think thats what happens....I would go with LE... just my gut
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:29 am

Sniper wrote:
nolan4 wrote:

Sniper and Scoobyx, as much as I would love to see Garrison coming out of Region 5, I think that is a crazy(little harsh) prediction.......Garrison has a great record, but only team they played all yr was Parshall and lost by 23 pts...............I do think Region 3 is a tossup, I have Carrington tho...........North Star game vs Lakota might be tossup too, I just like Lakota again this yr. I dont know Kindred or FCT but listened to the FCT game vs Maple Valley last night, FCT sounds good and they are young to boot.

I would total agree that Garrison coming out of Region 5 is a long shot. Garrison had a fairly weak regular season schedule, played in a weak district and had the two other best teams in Region 5 on the other side of the regional tournament bracket. I feel like there will be an upset or two this year and this is one that I thought was most likely. If Two Bears was fully healthy this would be a very different story.

It's Class B Regional tournament championships, and every team has a shot. Early foul trouble, an injury, cold shooting, etc. all can be factors. I have always believed that this game comes down to coaching. The coach who put the most time in developing and preparing the kids who have not necessarily been expected to step up during the year will determine the outcomes. I suspect even Minot Ryan will get a big night from players 3, 4, or 5. They have a good coach who wants to win that way.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nolan4 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:47 pm

I just noticed, all Top 10 ranked teams are still alive in the state, that is pretty remarkable with only 16 teams left, and sometimes there isnt a team even ranked from every region.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby TrooperDad » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:35 pm

nolan4 wrote:

I know this might sound a little biased, based on which team I back, but.......I just couldn't let this slide.....keep doubting.....The Garrison girls beat every team on their schedule that was placed in front of them, other than 1 ranked team on their home floor. The last I checked, the kids don't get to make the schedule?? The Garrison girls not being able to compete with Shiloh???? Really? Based on what? I don't know if you are the one that said this later in the thread, but the 2 best teams in Region 5, clearly were not on the same side of the bracket, maybe historically, but not this year. Grant Co seemed to be up and down all year? Shiloh has obviously had issues with injuries, as has almost every other team I am aware of, including Garrison. Next girl up. I have watched virtually EVERY team in Region 5, all year. It doesn't matter what Shiloh did last year, or the year before. The are VERY beatable this year. They couldn't pull away by more than 15 points to honestly one of the worst teams in our "weak" district. As for the game against Parshall......the Garrison girls had a streak of games where they started very slow offensively and you just can't do that against really good teams. Parshall jumped all over us in the first quarter and we spent the rest of the game trying to close the gap, which was about 9-10 points at the start of the 4th quarter. If we played Parshall again tomorrow, I would pick Garrison in a close win.....If Shiloh was completely healthy, I would definately say we were a longshot this year.....I guess we will know how "crazy" it is about 9pm tonight.... I've found that trying to do comparitive scoring in girls basketball games is about as accurate as flipping a coin, especially if you don't know the intricate details of each particular game.....who was hurt, who got in foul trouble early, was it a bad matchup size or speed wise, did the officials have to much effect on the game.
TrooperDad
NDPreps Rookie

Postby nolan4 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:00 pm

TrooperDad wrote:
nolan4 wrote:

I know this might sound a little biased, based on which team I back, but.......I just couldn't let this slide.....keep doubting.....The Garrison girls beat every team on their schedule that was placed in front of them, other than 1 ranked team on their home floor. The last I checked, the kids don't get to make the schedule?? The Garrison girls not being able to compete with Shiloh???? Really? Based on what? I don't know if you are the one that said this later in the thread, but the 2 best teams in Region 5, clearly were not on the same side of the bracket, maybe historically, but not this year. Grant Co seemed to be up and down all year? Shiloh has obviously had issues with injuries, as has almost every other team I am aware of, including Garrison. Next girl up. I have watched virtually EVERY team in Region 5, all year. It doesn't matter what Shiloh did last year, or the year before. The are VERY beatable this year. They couldn't pull away by more than 15 points to honestly one of the worst teams in our "weak" district. As for the game against Parshall......the Garrison girls had a streak of games where they started very slow offensively and you just can't do that against really good teams. Parshall jumped all over us in the first quarter and we spent the rest of the game trying to close the gap, which was about 9-10 points at the start of the 4th quarter. If we played Parshall again tomorrow, I would pick Garrison in a close win.....If Shiloh was completely healthy, I would definately say we were a longshot this year.....I guess we will know how "crazy" it is about 9pm tonight.... I've found that trying to do comparitive scoring in girls basketball games is about as accurate as flipping a coin, especially if you don't know the intricate details of each particular game.....who was hurt, who got in foul trouble early, was it a bad matchup size or speed wise, did the officials have to much effect on the game.

Hey Trooperdad :), first of all, i will be cheering for your team......secondly , no i didnt say they were not one of the 2 best teams in the Region, altho , in my opinion you and Grant County are about equal.......and yes Shiloh is beatable this yr, and I didnt mean any disrepect, when i said crazy, i did say it was a little harsh LOL..........so yes, you do have a chance, but alot of things will have to fall your way, but as they say, a chip and chair , you have a chance :) I will be listening online :)
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sniper » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:20 pm

TrooperDad wrote:
nolan4 wrote:

I was the one who made the comment you are referring to. I did not say "the two best teams in the tournament are on the same side of the bracket" I said "the two OTHER best teams in the tournament are on the same side of the bracket". You must of just read it wrong.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:49 pm

Sniper wrote:
TrooperDad wrote:
nolan4 wrote:

Shiloh won.

I was the one who made the comment you are referring to. I did not say "the two best teams in the tournament are on the same side of the bracket" I said "the two OTHER best teams in the tournament are on the same side of the bracket". You must of just read it wrong.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:54 pm

Region 1 - Kindred
Region 2 - ????????
Region 3 - LaMoure
Region 4 - L-E
Region 5 - Shiloh
Region 6 - Ryan
Region 7 - Trinity
Region 8 - Parshall

Is this correct?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rains32 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:55 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
4mrnative wrote:Looks pretty good Sniper, but I think I'd have to respectfully suggest that as much as I'm a fan of both LLM and NS; I'd have to go with Carrington and Lakota-Edmore. NS has not traditionally fared well against L-E with their combination of size and tenacious defense. Maybe they're tougher mentally this year with the experience of the State VB tourney. I agree with ndlions...should be great games!

NS has both of these too...I've thought a lot about this match-up and it will be a battle....

NS has played well in their last two games. If Kvilvang has 25-30 with a number of blocks and rebounds, I think they can contain Freije a bit. Hagler is the x factor to me. If she has a big night I think NS wins. LE just doesn't have anyone that can step up besides Freije

Freije couldn't be contained tonight. L/E wins 67-52. Freije had 47 points 16 rebounds. It was a much closer game then the final score.
rains32
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:19 pm

NS got it to a 2 pt game early in the third, but after that L/E pulled away. It wasn't totally out of reach, but you just had the feeling that if NS would have made another run Freije would have just taken over (even more than she already had). NS's size is in height, L/E had decent height and a lot more bulk. When we edit the highlights tomorrow, we'll include FF's as well. It was quite a show.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby TrooperDad » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:37 am

Sniper and Scoobyx, as much as I would love to see Garrison coming out of Region 5, I think that is a crazy(little harsh) prediction.......Garrison has a great record, but only team they played all yr was Parshall and lost by 23 pts...............I do think Region 3 is a tossup, I have Carrington tho...........North Star game vs Lakota might be tossup too, I just like Lakota again this yr. I dont know Kindred or FCT but listened to the FCT game vs Maple Valley last night, FCT sounds good and they are young to boot.[/quote]

I know this might sound a little biased, based on which team I back, but.......I just couldn't let this slide.....keep doubting.....The Garrison girls beat every team on their schedule that was placed in front of them, other than 1 ranked team on their home floor. The last I checked, the kids don't get to make the schedule?? The Garrison girls not being able to compete with Shiloh???? Really? Based on what? I don't know if you are the one that said this later in the thread, but the 2 best teams in Region 5, clearly were not on the same side of the bracket, maybe historically, but not this year. Grant Co seemed to be up and down all year? Shiloh has obviously had issues with injuries, as has almost every other team I am aware of, including Garrison. Next girl up. I have watched virtually EVERY team in Region 5, all year. It doesn't matter what Shiloh did last year, or the year before. The are VERY beatable this year. They couldn't pull away by more than 15 points to honestly one of the worst teams in our "weak" district. As for the game against Parshall......the Garrison girls had a streak of games where they started very slow offensively and you just can't do that against really good teams. Parshall jumped all over us in the first quarter and we spent the rest of the game trying to close the gap, which was about 9-10 points at the start of the 4th quarter. If we played Parshall again tomorrow, I would pick Garrison in a close win.....If Shiloh was completely healthy, I would definately say we were a longshot this year.....I guess we will know how "crazy" it is about 9pm tonight.... I've found that trying to do comparitive scoring in girls basketball games is about as accurate as flipping a coin, especially if you don't know the intricate details of each particular game.....who was hurt, who got in foul trouble early, was it a bad matchup size or speed wise, did the officials have to much effect on the game.[/quote]

Hey Trooperdad :), first of all, i will be cheering for your team......secondly , no i didnt say they were not one of the 2 best teams in the Region, altho , in my opinion you and Grant County are about equal.......and yes Shiloh is beatable this yr, and I didnt mean any disrepect, when i said crazy, i did say it was a little harsh LOL..........so yes, you do have a chance, but alot of things will have to fall your way, but as they say, a chip and chair , you have a chance :) I will be listening online :)[/quote]

Well, you didn't cheer loud enough! :( Shiloh was the better team tonight. They did a good job not giving us a lot of clean looks on outside shots and our lack of comparative depth hurt us in the end. I think our schedule changes after this season, but I believe it would have helped us immensely to have already played Shiloh at some point already this season. They were a complete unknown for us, as far as actual court experience, and likely the toughest team we played all year. They were almost daring us to hit them inside and we didn't take them up on it as often as we should have. We missed a few too many bunny shots and too many free throws at the end and it ultimately cost us. It is all good experience for next year. We will be back. This is the first regional championship any of our girls have ever played in. I believe the last time was 1999? I would like to have played Grant Co. I think that would have been a good contest, and I would agree that we are pretty comparable. I think Grant Co could be tough next year as they seem to have some potentially good up and coming Freshman.
TrooperDad
NDPreps Rookie

Postby kingjames101 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:03 am

Not taking anything away from anyone with this statement. Fallyn was not going to be contained last night no matter what they did she was in the Zone last night n very exciting to watch. Without her that team isn't even .500 at best again I said at best n or even playing in regional tournament. She sees the floor so well u can't press u try to double n even triple team she sees her teammates to dish of she can drive to the hole so well n yet stop if needed n pull the trigger. Wish Lakota Edmore the best at the State B. UND got themselves a good one with her look forward to watching her in the future.

I'm gonna go out on a limb with Park River taken down Thompson by 9 tonight yet this could very Easily go either way.
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nolan4 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:04 am

Good morning, crazy nite, REALLY surprised Watford City didnt make it, either great second half defense for Parshall or Watford couldnt make shots...............and then LaMoure-L-M what happened there? 24 point win!!
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:39 am

nolan4 wrote:Good morning, crazy nite, REALLY surprised Watford City didnt make it, either great second half defense for Parshall or Watford couldnt make shots...............and then LaMoure-L-M what happened there? 24 point win!!

LaMoure came to play...Carrington, not so much. LaMoure was 11 of 14 from 3 point land. Started the game up 11-0. I don't think Carrington shot 20% from the field and struggled to make a lay up. LaMoure HAD to be well over 50% as they were 78% from the field on 3's alone. For a Carrington fan, this was an UGLY game to try and watch. For a LaMoure fan, it was an AWESOME game. :D LaMoure has been the better team through Districts and Regionals.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:37 am

winner-within wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
4mrnative wrote:Looks pretty good Sniper, but I think I'd have to respectfully suggest that as much as I'm a fan of both LLM and NS; I'd have to go with Carrington and Lakota-Edmore. NS has not traditionally fared well against L-E with their combination of size and tenacious defense. Maybe they're tougher mentally this year with the experience of the State VB tourney. I agree with ndlions...should be great games!

NS has both of these too...I've thought a lot about this match-up and it will be a battle....

NS has played well in their last two games. If Kvilvang has 25-30 with a number of blocks and rebounds, I think they can contain Freije a bit. Hagler is the x factor to me. If she has a big night I think NS wins. LE just doesn't have anyone that can step up besides Freije

I think the X-factor in the game is Martinson...she has to get at least 10-12 points...Kvilvang wont score big in this one with FF guarding her which applys to your X-factor Hagler....then again FF might be on Hagler at times....but Pesek and Martinson have to score...if not FF has to go for 40 at least and we know she can...even against NS..... :) gonna be a good one...

In Region 2? I really thought Grafton was going to squeak one out on the Toms even before the game started....11 points deficit hurt them though...

Can PRFL pull off the Championship? possibly they have more size than Grafton and match up better with the bigs for Thompson....Thompson shoots well so they (prfl) have to seal the perimeter....it will boil down to PR's confidence, they'll need to stay poised ... :)

Pesek got a few....Martinson was fully contained I see..... and Fallen went off...good luck at State
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:46 am

Yes LaMoure L-M came to play. Jumped out on Carrington early, that was the key. LaMoure shot the lights out, I've never witnessed a girls team shoot like that. Carrington couldn't buy a bucket, but you have to credit LaMoure's defense, they are scrappy and have proved it all tournament. Kept Kidder County's big gun to 1 point and Carrington's to 1 pt also. LaMoure just flat out out-played Carrington on both ends of the floor.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Kwoods » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:46 am

nolan4 wrote:Good morning, crazy nite, REALLY surprised Watford City didnt make it, either great second half defense for Parshall or Watford couldnt make shots...............and then LaMoure-L-M what happened there? 24 point win!!

Parshall showed up in the 4th quarter. They were beat on the glass badly all first half and finally hit the boards in the 2nd. Hit key free throws down the stretch that has always been a weak part of their game. Underclassmen stepped up and made keys plays. Was a battle until the end that went the other way this year. Two great teams that have battled for years and pushed each other until the end. I'm totally biased but so happy Lady Braves make history as first girls team ever to make it to state. Great story of an amazing basketball family in the Packineaus.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Lakota-Edmore is led by Freije and she is dominant player and yes they would not be going to state without her. But the girls she plays with are much better players than most people realize they play as a team and they know their roles and what is expected of them. They play defense that very few girls teams play and they rebound well and yes they can shoot if called upon. Since district tournaments started and success that Benson county had against LE in the tournament of denying other girls scoring opportunities and believing that Freije not capable of beating them with her scoring has been way teams have played LE in the tournaments. What they have found Freije with now straight up defense is capable of scoring to carry the team and other girls scoring enough to still win. This is possible because these other girls are playing very good defense and controlling the boards. Last night Northstar was held to 30 % shooting and were out rebounded nearly two to one. Freije had a lot of rebounds but if you looked LE girls had Northstar boxed out and lot of rebounds fell to floor and picked up by LE then. LE is team with very dominant player and leader on the floor but all members of this team are important some of things these other girls do on the floor may not get recognition or sticks our like scoring but are the reason this team has had success its had over last few years.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:41 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:Lakota-Edmore is led by Freije and she is dominant player and yes they would not be going to state without her. But the girls she plays with are much better players than most people realize they play as a team and they know their roles and what is expected of them. They play defense that very few girls teams play and they rebound well and yes they can shoot if called upon. Since district tournaments started and success that Benson county had against LE in the tournament of denying other girls scoring opportunities and believing that Freije not capable of beating them with her scoring has been way teams have played LE in the tournaments. What they have found Freije with now straight up defense is capable of scoring to carry the team and other girls scoring enough to still win. This is possible because these other girls are playing very good defense and controlling the boards. Last night Northstar was held to 30 % shooting and were out rebounded nearly two to one. Freije had a lot of rebounds but if you looked LE girls had Northstar boxed out and lot of rebounds fell to floor and picked up by LE then. LE is team with very dominant player and leader on the floor but all members of this team are important some of things these other girls do on the floor may not get recognition or sticks our like scoring but are the reason this team has had success its had over last few years.

Totally agree....I've seen them play and they definitively all contribute....even with FF they haven't seen state since she was a Freshman I believe (could be wrong) but my point being is this team had a dream and a plan and it wasn't all because of FF......There are very few girls Class A or B in ND that have come through the pipe over the years that get the looks from big Colleges so with that said its important to recognize the hard work and dedication that she has put forth.....but its just as important to give credit to all around her...teammates, parents, fans, school, coaches, sisters etc etc............I like when she said on the news last night...that "BB is her connection with god" :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby rains32 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:52 pm

winner-within wrote:
B-oldtimer wrote:Lakota-Edmore is led by Freije and she is dominant player and yes they would not be going to state without her. But the girls she plays with are much better players than most people realize they play as a team and they know their roles and what is expected of them. They play defense that very few girls teams play and they rebound well and yes they can shoot if called upon. Since district tournaments started and success that Benson county had against LE in the tournament of denying other girls scoring opportunities and believing that Freije not capable of beating them with her scoring has been way teams have played LE in the tournaments. What they have found Freije with now straight up defense is capable of scoring to carry the team and other girls scoring enough to still win. This is possible because these other girls are playing very good defense and controlling the boards. Last night Northstar was held to 30 % shooting and were out rebounded nearly two to one. Freije had a lot of rebounds but if you looked LE girls had Northstar boxed out and lot of rebounds fell to floor and picked up by LE then. LE is team with very dominant player and leader on the floor but all members of this team are important some of things these other girls do on the floor may not get recognition or sticks our like scoring but are the reason this team has had success its had over last few years.

Totally agree....I've seen them play and they definitively all contribute....even with FF they haven't seen state since she was a Freshman I believe (could be wrong) but my point being is this team had a dream and a plan and it wasn't all because of FF......There are very few girls Class A or B in ND that have come through the pipe over the years that get the looks from big Colleges so with that said its important to recognize the hard work and dedication that she has put forth.....but its just as important to give credit to all around her...teammates, parents, fans, school, coaches, sisters etc etc............I like when she said on the news last night...that "BB is her connection with god" :)

They placed 5th last year. Lost to Ryan in the first round.
rains32
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:01 pm

Thats right...thanks
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby lyve » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:03 pm

rains32 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

They placed 5th last year. Lost to Ryan in the first round.

I'm fairly certain they've been to state 3 of the last 4 years and were region runners up the other.
lyve
NDPreps Rookie

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:22 pm

That's right they were there in 2012, 2014, 2015 as a coop and Edmore was there 2006 and Lakota 2007 there has been good tradition of girls basketball with these schools.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Would have been Adams-Edmore in 06, correct? Also, I think it was 2009 when Lakota was there. Mwkn-Leeds went in 2007, NRS is 2008, then Lakota beat Mwkn-Leeds in 2009.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Girls