Top Matchups

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Top Matchups

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:53 am

Maple Valley won over Sargent Central 64-54 last night, and now the Kindred-Maple Valley game becomes a pretty good match up in Region 1. Any other big games around the state as we go into February?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Top Matchups

Postby triplebbb » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:20 pm

Watford City plays Parshall next Tuesday and Dickinson Trinity next Saturday. Both at home.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:36 pm

January 31 - North Star @ Carrington
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:03 pm

The Kindred/Maple Valley game should be awesome. It's set up nicely with MV getting a couple of confidence wins vs HCV and S/Central. Kindred doesn't have any stud basketball players like Nudell, but does have a couple of stud athletes with a deep bench. Nudell and cast vs Erickson, Piatz and cast.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Top Upcoming Games (IMO)

Jan. 29th: Shiloh Christian @ Kidder County
Jan. 31st: North Star @ Carrington
Jan. 31st: Napoleon-GS @ Shiloh Christian
Jan. 31st: Valley City @ Lakota/Edmore
Feb. 2nd: Park River-FL @ North Star
Feb. 3rd: Parshall @ Watford City
Feb. 5th: Maple Valley @ Kindred
Feb. 5th: Park River-FL @ Thompson
Feb. 5th: Rugby @ North Star
Feb. 7th: Carrington @ Lakota/Edmore
Feb. 7th: Beach @ Shiloh Christian
Feb. 7th: Bishop Ryan @ Parshall
Feb. 7th: Dickinson Trinity @ Watford City
Feb. 9th: LaMoure-LM @ Maple Valley
Feb. 10th: Park River-FL @ Grafton
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby radball » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:02 am

should be a fun, how good is beach and valley city this yr? I guess thompson might get SM back this week. supposedly a concussion she had a couple weeks ago. Not sure on this, but based on what i saw at kindred, i'm not surprised.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:04 pm

radball wrote:should be a fun, how good is beach and valley city this yr? I guess thompson might get SM back this week. supposedly a concussion she had a couple weeks ago. Not sure on this, but based on what i saw at kindred, i'm not surprised.

VC is about in the middle of the pack in the east. They aren't as good as last year, but should still be fighting for a spot in state. This should be a good game, considering Saint Marys beat Trinity by 5.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby BigCat » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:32 pm

radball wrote:should be a fun, how good is beach and valley city this yr? I guess thompson might get SM back this week. supposedly a concussion she had a couple weeks ago. Not sure on this, but based on what i saw at kindred, i'm not surprised.

What happened to your player in Kinded? Can you elaborate on what happened? Was it a rough game or was there something untoward that happened?
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:01 pm

it happened before the game i guess, so i guess during practice maybe. Either way i hope she is alright.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Okay I didn't want to make a new thread on a negative topic, but I have to ask is attendance really that bad at Girl's BB games recently? I just watched Maple Valley vs. Sargent Central and it looked about as exciting as a Jr. High jamboree. Not surprising if two bad teams or one bad/one good team. But two good teams (and one stud on the court to boot) should fill the place.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:37 pm

radball wrote:it happened before the game i guess, so i guess during practice maybe. Either way i hope she is alright.

Are you suggesting that she wasn't 100% for the Kindred contest? If so, do you think the outcome would have been different if your player had not bumped her head in pre-game practice?
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:56 pm

east sider wrote:Okay I didn't want to make a new thread on a negative topic, but I have to ask is attendance really that bad at Girl's BB games recently? I just watched Maple Valley vs. Sargent Central and it looked about as exciting as a Jr. High jamboree. Not surprising if two bad teams or one bad/one good team. But two good teams (and one stud on the court to boot) should fill the place.

You are correct in that they are two good teams with a fun player to watch, but I've seen bigger games with good players drawing weak as well. Rylee is a good player, but after watching her in Richland and how others were not allowed to defend her, I wouldnt make a special run either.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Statguy7 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:51 pm

BigCat wrote:
east sider wrote:Okay I didn't want to make a new thread on a negative topic, but I have to ask is attendance really that bad at Girl's BB games recently? I just watched Maple Valley vs. Sargent Central and it looked about as exciting as a Jr. High jamboree. Not surprising if two bad teams or one bad/one good team. But two good teams (and one stud on the court to boot) should fill the place.

You are correct in that they are two good teams with a fun player to watch, but I've seen bigger games with good players drawing weak as well. Rylee is a good player, but after watching her in Richland and how others were not allowed to defend her, I wouldnt make a special run either.

Could you elaborate on how others aren't allowed to defend her just curious
Statguy7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:56 pm

BigCat wrote:
radball wrote:it happened before the game i guess, so i guess during practice maybe. Either way i hope she is alright.

Are you suggesting that she wasn't 100% for the Kindred contest? If so, do you think the outcome would have been different if your player had not bumped her head in pre-game practice?

I'll answer that one...she wasn't 100% for Kindred or Grafton.

Would it have changed the outcome of the Kindred game? No. Grafton? She was the difference in the score in that one (half court buzzer beater).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BigCat » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:43 am

Statguy7 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

Sure, I'll do that. Ryle Nudell is a great scorer. I've been watching her since 6th or 7th grade. She does nothing wrong on the floor and plays at a level that the stripes allow. With that said, against Richland, she was allowed to clear herself by dipping her shoulder and pushing back the defenders all night long. She also was allowed the close and touch fouls. The Richland kids would stand straightup,hands up and were called pretty much every time. I would say that part of her talent is that she knows how to take advantage of these things and play at the level the stipes allow. I just like to watch it called consistently despite who the player is. I hope this ansers your request for elaboration as it is a compliment towards a good player and her abilities.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:53 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

Would it have changed the outcome of the Kindred game? No. Grafton? She was the difference in the score in that one (half court buzzer beater).

Given you are up to speed with radballs niece and that regions talent level, who are you picking to come out of there. PRFL, HVC, TT, etc.?
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:14 pm

BigCat wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

Given you are up to speed with radballs niece and that regions talent level, who are you picking to come out of there. PRFL, HVC, TT, etc.?

Its PRFL & Thompson...either team is capable to make that run. I just don't see any other team making the run through the Super-Regional...Grafton is a sleeper though.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BigCat » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:29 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
BigCat wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

Its PRFL & Thompson...either team is capable to make that run. I just don't see any other team making the run through the Super-Regional...Grafton is a sleeper though.

I haven't seen Grafton this year, but have seen PRFL, TT, and HCV. I am putting my wallet on PRFL. They have decent size, run the floor well, and talent at key positions. Most of all, they had something that is often mistaken for passion. I could see that the fear of losing was more important than the thrill of winning to them. Good or bad, thats what I appreciate in a winner.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:42 pm

I believe I never said anything like that, but thanks for being a adult and putting words in my mouth. I just hope that anybody that gets hurt in high school sports gets health.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:14 pm

I am a big basketball fan, but I have had a hard time carving out time to go watch 1 or 2 players. The fundamentals especially with ball handling is lacking which makes it a long game to watch. Even Ryan (supposedly the best Class B team ever) suddenly struggled against Shanley when their 1 ball handler got into foul trouble. Class A isn't much better.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BigCat » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:40 pm

radball wrote:I believe I never said anything like that, but thanks for being a adult and putting words in my mouth. I just hope that anybody that gets hurt in high school sports gets health.

I wish you would be more specific. Who put words in your mouth? Was it someone asking a question of you (bigcat), or someone answering your question for you (runforfun2009)?
Last edited by BigCat on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:49 am

BigCat wrote:
Statguy7 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

Sure, I'll do that. Ryle Nudell is a great scorer. I've been watching her since 6th or 7th grade. She does nothing wrong on the floor and plays at a level that the stripes allow. With that said, against Richland, she was allowed to clear herself by dipping her shoulder and pushing back the defenders all night long. She also was allowed the close and touch fouls. The Richland kids would stand straightup,hands up and were called pretty much every time. I would say that part of her talent is that she knows how to take advantage of these things and play at the level the stipes allow. I just like to watch it called consistently despite who the player is. I hope this ansers your request for elaboration as it is a compliment towards a good player and her abilities.

One thing that I notice in girls basketball as opposed to boys basketball, is that a defensive rebounder is not often allowed to clear out without a bunch a girls randomly slapping at her. Boys generally back off once the rebounder has the ball. I notice it as young as 5th grade traveling ball. Then when a high school player is high profile, we have to listen to fans yelling out "offensive foul" all game.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby triplebbb » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:11 am

anyone watch the Carrington/North Star game? any insights?
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:26 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:
Statguy7 wrote:
BigCat wrote:

One thing that I notice in girls basketball as opposed to boys basketball, is that a defensive rebounder is not often allowed to clear out without a bunch a girls randomly slapping at her. Boys generally back off once the rebounder has the ball. I notice it as young as 5th grade traveling ball. Then when a high school player is high profile, we have to listen to fans yelling out "offensive foul" all game.

Well, unfortunately those slap happy young ladies have every right to closely defend and slap at that ball if they wish. If they slap the rebounder, as you mentioned, its a foul. If the high profile player clears herself with the rebound and hits one of the slap happy young ladies in the chops with an elbow or tries to clear herself with a shoulder, offensive foul. Frankly, I would suggest that your high profile player should have the talent to dribble or pass out of that situation if she is truly a "high profile player." No differnce should be given a stud vs. a dud when it comes to the stripes!
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:13 pm

triplebbb wrote:anyone watch the Carrington/North Star game? any insights?

Yes...Neither team shot the ball real well, especially Carrington. Carrington really had trouble defending Kilvang. Game was entertaining, back and forth until the end. Free throws were the difference in score as NS shot 29 and made 22. Carrington shot a good percentage on their free throws but didn't shoot many.

A healthy North Star is a great team. I believe two of their losses came without Hagler, Kilvang or both. Carrington would have their problems with them most nights, mainly due to Kilvang. She's a "difference" maker for sure. IMO, NS is a top 5 team and wouldn't be surprised to see them at State.

Carrington has probably been a bit over-rated all year due to their schedule, but have a tough run to end the year. (North Star, Harvey Wells, Lakota, Napoleon and Benson County) I still feel they are a top 10 team though. Carrington and Kidder have to be the favorites out of Region 3.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Girls