Ryan GBB vs. Class A Girls

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Ryan GBB vs. Class A Girls

Postby bsoldiergirl » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Does anyone know if the Ryan girls vs. Class A girls basketball game is being televised or broadcasted on Saturday from Bismarck?
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Re: Ryan GBB vs. Class A Girls

Postby go maji » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:24 pm

bsoldiergirl wrote:Does anyone know if the Ryan girls vs. Class A girls basketball game is being televised or broadcasted on Saturday from Bismarck?

Kxnet.com
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby bsoldiergirl » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Thanks go maji!
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby fandb » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:45 pm

No losers in this one either way. Great game for ND girls basketball and ND sports in general.
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:07 am

bsoldiergirl wrote:Thanks go maji!

Sorry, someone else doesn't think that it will be streamed. But no use in not trying I guess.

Go to video and then live stream.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:23 am

This game showed off the talents of some of the top players in ND, but also showed that the depth of the rosters are limited on both teams. If Ryan would have had another scoring guard, it could have been interesting.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Ryan just didn't have the depth, and they were clearly not used to Shanley's athleticism. Ryan graduated two starters and two role players off the bench, so last year, this would have been a far better game to see.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigCat » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:48 am

Ryan just needs to pick up a few more local talents from the publics and they'll do fine against the next class a team. It is such a good matchup that it kind of makes the case in my mind that all of the privates should have their own little state tournament away from the public system.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:00 pm

I Think the private schools should be Class A no matter what their enrollment is and if they do not like that they could form there own state wide league and play there. Bishop Ryan proved they could play in class A division competing as they did against Shanley. Last year Ryan would have played dead even with Shanley because they were deeper at guard then compared to now. Ryan team this year is weaker at guard but there front court is talented and deep. They have 5 girls at near 6 or more feet so don't tell me this is not like a traveling team of exceptional talented girls playing together. For most class b schools it something to have 3 girls of that size and now Ryan has 5 there talent pool is not like that of any other class b school unless its another private school. Activities association needs to address this problem but I am afraid the politics of this they are afraid of standing up to the private schools.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Gunning4ya » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:20 pm

Pretty sure the horse has died.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Gunning4ya wrote:Pretty sure the horse has died.

I disagree...might not be bad time to address now that rural Minot is adding another B school....You could have a pretty decent mid level conference(NEW CLASS A) with Ryan, OR, Berthold, Surrey, DLB, and South Prairie all within 25??? miles of Minot.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Gunning4ya » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:51 pm

justplayalready wrote:
Gunning4ya wrote:Pretty sure the horse has died.

I disagree...might not be bad time to address now that rural Minot is adding another B school....You could have a pretty decent mid level conference(NEW CLASS A) with Ryan, OR, Berthold, Surrey, DLB, and South Prairie all within 25??? miles of Minot.

It is enrollment and will not change. There will always be the lower and higher teams. My kids go to Glenburn, also within 25 miles from Minot. All the teams you listed are in the same district as them.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:08 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I Think the private schools should be Class A no matter what their enrollment is and if they do not like that they could form there own state wide league and play there. Bishop Ryan proved they could play in class A division competing as they did against Shanley. Last year Ryan would have played dead even with Shanley because they were deeper at guard then compared to now. Ryan team this year is weaker at guard but there front court is talented and deep. They have 5 girls at near 6 or more feet so don't tell me this is not like a traveling team of exceptional talented girls playing together. For most class b schools it something to have 3 girls of that size and now Ryan has 5 there talent pool is not like that of any other class b school unless its another private school. Activities association needs to address this problem but I am afraid the politics of this they are afraid of standing up to the private schools.

I've never been an advocate for 3 classes in ND Basketball but there are some issues that get the blind eye in Basketball and privates are one of them....I would say football could actually go to 3 classes now and maintain the excitement but what i'm getting at is to many classes can take away from the sport....but when referring to privates playing own statewide league do we mean just in Basketball?......regardless, the only answer would be like you stated... put them in Class A.... then and only then if it evolved into a 3erd class involving other schools who wanted in... then we would have a 3 class system in boys and girls Basketball
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:19 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I Think the private schools should be Class A no matter what their enrollment is and if they do not like that they could form there own state wide league and play there. Bishop Ryan proved they could play in class A division competing as they did against Shanley. Last year Ryan would have played dead even with Shanley because they were deeper at guard then compared to now. Ryan team this year is weaker at guard but there front court is talented and deep. They have 5 girls at near 6 or more feet so don't tell me this is not like a traveling team of exceptional talented girls playing together. For most class b schools it something to have 3 girls of that size and now Ryan has 5 there talent pool is not like that of any other class b school unless its another private school. Activities association needs to address this problem but I am afraid the politics of this they are afraid of standing up to the private schools.

So because Ryan has a once in a generation team, all privates should play class A? Are Oak Grove, Our Redeemers and Trinity Christian dominating the state in girls basketball? Trinity? Next year, Ryan will come back down to earth when the two bigs are gone and we can all settle down.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:06 am

This is an awful argument. Minot Bishop Ryan has the most successful girls basketball team in the history of Class B basketball and they lost by double digits to a Class A team. This alone tells me that they belong where they are. They are a great Class B team. What is the likelihood that there will be 2 once in a generation type players to come through that school at the same time in the next 25 years?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigCat » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:57 am

Terrible argument? I don't think so! The best Class B team in history? Probably. Multiple bigs are tough to beat. Multiple bigs with talent kills. Did Ryan prove they belong in "B" by losing to Shanley, not necessarily. As to the likelihood of seeing another team like this in the next 25 years, not in the public system most likely. However, I dont doubt that there will be comparable team in the next 10 years in the private system. One of them will BUILD a dominant run.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:14 am

So the best Class B team in history loses to an above average Fargo Shanley team, which makes it obvious that they belong in Class A? Even though anyone at the game saw it was painfully obvious that Ryan would struggle with any Class A team due simply to depth? I feel that my argument has logic. Ryan is a great Class B team because they have 2 studs, a good point guard, and a player who spreads the floor. This will likely be the best team that they ever have. This dominant team did not win their only Class A match up. Why do they belong in Class A?

I would be shocked if another team was "built" like this. I love ND basketball in either gender and in either class, and I would say it is highly unlikely that in the next 10 years we see two players ranked in the ESPN top 125 in the same class who are both 6'3". The closest thing we have had to that in recent memory would be the Kielpinski sisters of Mandan who happened to be the children of a 6'8" and a 5'11", and if that were to happen, it would not be because a team was built.

Do not take this as a slight to Ryan, as they would compete very well, potentially even win a few titles in A, but them having a dominant run does not mean that the system is broken.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:15 am

Ryan's team was better the last two years in my opinion due to depth. I think comparing this year's team to Class A is unfair. Ryan could definitely compete in A over the past three years, but I don't think they could have won a championship. Ryan cannot compete in A year in and year out, though. They just have a good run of athletes lately and like someone said earlier, next year they will be just average in Class B.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:18 am

I don't even think this is or was the best team in class B girls history.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:35 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Ryan's team was better the last two years in my opinion due to depth. I think comparing this year's team to Class A is unfair. Ryan could definitely compete in A over the past three years, but I don't think they could have won a championship. Ryan cannot compete in A year in and year out, though. They just have a good run of athletes lately and like someone said earlier, next year they will be just average in Class B.

When I say team I've just been talking about the Bohl-Stewart career in general. I think comparing this year's team to A is fair. They have 2 of the best players in the country. My point being that they are a really good Class B team, and they are. I disagree with b-oldtimer stating that they should be forced up to Class A.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:17 pm

packers21 wrote:I don't even think this is or was the best team in class B girls history.

I agree. I think Bottineau when they won 3 straight titles was probably the strongest team in Class B history.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EastBeast » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:59 pm

I’d like to congratulate both of these teams for playing each other. I think both coaches realized the benefits of playing good competition. Both teams had some weaknesses revealed during that game. That’s valuable information for a coach in the middle of the season. I think the state should just sit back and enjoy this Ryan team. Teams like this don’t come around very often. I don’t think they played the game so Fatman and B-oldfart could prove their points of putting above-average private schools in their own classification. Four years ago, nobody was talking about putting Ryan or Shanley in their own classes. Sit back and enjoy. From what I saw at last years state tournament, these teams were the hardest working and best coached teams I have seen in a long time. Why tear them down?
EastBeast
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BigCat » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:37 pm

I am surprised that you feel there is anyone "tearing them down." The conversation or argument, as some have called it, is about private programs that some feel should be Class A or in their own division/class. The passion in the debate is largely driven by folks who grew up in, or are from, rural/smaller class B schools who don't have the luxury of a large metro area that draws families with athletes. They live with what they have, with very small chance of ever building a dynasty like some of the larger communities including Minot, Bismarck, Fargo, Dickinson, and years ago, Bottineau. If you take #2 through #10 in the current poll, it would make a great, competitvie class B tourney. Ryan would have to lay the largest egg ever not to totally dominate again this year with their size and talent.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Hopefully this is not directed at me, as I am not intending to tear either team down.

I just think this argument is dumb.

If there was a team from ND who, for some rare weird reason, ended up with a Maya Moore and a Tina Charles on the team at the same time and was the best team in the country, I think a person saying that they should have to compete in the national super conference due to that has a dumb argument.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby fandb » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:57 pm

Move the Bison to the BCS! :lol:
fandb
NDPreps Starter