Ryan GBB vs. Class A Girls

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Ryan GBB vs. Class A Girls

Postby fandb » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:00 pm

Big Cat
No pee pee, have witnessed a very good team in this generation with the kids they have (not recruited). Props to them.
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:45 am

I am not allowed to post or contribute on http://www.northdakotapreps.com until I reveal which Division 1 basketball program I work for.

Apparently, I have decided that I will no longer remain active on this site. I am unable to admit that I do not work for a Division 1 basketball program.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:13 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but the moderators of this site (people whose name is in red) know the real name of everyone who is registered to comment on this site. IF that is true, they know radball's real name and would also be able to find out fairly quickly if his claims of being a D1 scout is true or not. I believe they do know the truth and just want a certain someone to admit they lied. I for one will not miss radball's comments and I would be willing to bet this site will continue to be just fine without him. (Or without me or any other individual commentator.)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:16 am

Sportsrube wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but the moderators of this site (people whose name is in red) know the real name of everyone who is registered to comment on this site. IF that is true, they know radball's real name and would also be able to find out fairly quickly if his claims of being a D1 scout is true or not. I believe they do know the truth and just want a certain someone to admit they lied. I for one will not miss radball's comments and I would be willing to bet this site will continue to be just fine without him. (Or without me or any other individual commentator.)

You are correct. We know exactly who Radball is. We are very ok with Radball posting, once he admits that he does not work for a Division 1 basketball program.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:27 pm

BigCat, not an attack here, but you say Ryan's current run doesn't necessarily make it a dynasty? What do you consider a dynasty? I am honestly interested in that opinion. I would classify them as one. 3 straight state tournaments. 5th, 1st, and 1st. Most likely going to be another title this year. 60+ wins in a row. That says dynasty to me.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:22 pm

They are definitely one of the best teams in Class B history. But for those of us who followed Mandan girls basketball, its hard to say dynasty. Their success didn't surround one class. They won state championships, developed All-Staters, and Miss Basketball winners for over a decade.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby go maji » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:59 pm

Indy5 wrote:BigCat, not an attack here, but you say Ryan's current run doesn't necessarily make it a dynasty? What do you consider a dynasty? I am honestly interested in that opinion. I would classify them as one. 3 straight state tournaments. 5th, 1st, and 1st. Most likely going to be another title this year. 60+ wins in a row. That says dynasty to me.

I agree with Big Cat. To me, a dynasty is this, winning championships with different personnel. Here are some teams that fit that criteria: LA Lakers, Boston Celtics, NDSU football, Mandan Girls etc.

Come back here in 5 years and let's see where Ryan's at.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:31 pm

How good are Rovig and younger Stewart? Heard they may be pretty nice again in a few years.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigCat » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 pm

Indy5 wrote:BigCat, not an attack here, but you say Ryan's current run doesn't necessarily make it a dynasty? What do you consider a dynasty? I am honestly interested in that opinion. I would classify them as one. 3 straight state tournaments. 5th, 1st, and 1st. Most likely going to be another title this year. 60+ wins in a row. That says dynasty to me.

Okay, but I got got punched in the nose on a different thread for trying to expain how I assess things. First, I am not bangin' on Ryan. Good coach, good team, good size, good athelticism. Secondly, size kills. Size with talent destroys. Thirdly, I am not qualified to designate a team a dynasty or not a dynasty. With those things said, I tend to look at a teams chemistry, talent, and skills based on "all things equal." If you dont, it comes down to non-team related things like size, deeper bench, etc. Do I think Ryan is a dynasty based on "all things equal", probably not (YET). I see as a great run with some unvelievably talented, overwhelming, bigs. if Ryan wins it again this year, which they most likely will, and come back strong and overwhelming next year, I would call it a dynasty in ND Class B basketball. this is because it would be based on a program with continued success based on tradition and the system/program. (i.e. BISON football)
Just my opinion with respect to all mentioned above and the word "Dynasty."
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:00 pm

balla45 wrote:How good are Rovig and younger Stewart? Heard they may be pretty nice again in a few years.

Not necessarily a Ryan fan, and definitely not a Ryan hater, have friends whose kids go there........I have seen the younger Stewart, Wald, Rovig, Harmon, Leidholt......yes all sisters of the girls from the last few yrs........from 7th to 9th grade, not sure about Harmon, maybe Soph.................I think they will be state worthy in 2 to 3 yrs, maybe not championship material, but you never know.......The Stewart(7th) girl will be very good, already 6' or very close, and can dribble the ball, and being she is only 7th grade, i dont see any aggressiveness yet. But I would guess it will come.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:01 am

balla45 wrote:How good are Rovig and younger Stewart? Heard they may be pretty nice again in a few years.

I've been told that Stewart might turn out about like her sister. They say she does well on JV as a 7th grader.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:03 am

go maji wrote:

I agree with Big Cat. To me, a dynasty is this, winning championships with different personnel. Here are some teams that fit that criteria: LA Lakers, Boston Celtics, NDSU football, Mandan Girls etc.

I guess I'm a little more liberal with the term. A question for you. If NDSU didn't win this year, would have they been a dynasty? They had the same QB the first 3 titles.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:19 am

Indy5 wrote:
go maji wrote:

I guess I'm a little more liberal with the term. A question for you. If NDSU didn't win this year, would have they been a dynasty? They had the same QB the first 3 titles.

When Coach Bohl left and Jensen graduated, I didn't feel that anything would change as far as success. I thought the program is bigger than any individuals. If Ryan wins next year, then I think it will be close to a dynasty. When Amundsen coached Mandan, it was a dynasty. His kid won Miss Basketball, and then they came back with (I think) 5 more. Also, the competition was really tough which is really not the case right now.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BigCat » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:58 am

Indy5 wrote:
go maji wrote:

I think its kind of interesting how everyone has their own definition and comfort zone when declaring something a dynasty. I think scooby and I are on the same page in that the program is the focus vs. the current run. I would take nothing away from the current team as they are known as the team with the incredible bigs. Doesn't happen often that you have that size with talent, and in "B" it will destroy. "A" with its ability to draw in larger communities (i.e. Shanley) can counter a Ryan teams size. Wait a minute, Minot is a "B" in a larger metro area as well. But I digress! Back to the point, I still believe that if Ryan comes back with a winner next year without a huge hiccup and wins it all, I would say their program deserves consideration as a dynasty!
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby triplebbb » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:57 am

i'm not sure what their C and JV records are...they beat WC C by 4 or 5 and lost to WC JV. WC JV was 18-0.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:21 am

Just a word of caution when putting stock in a JV team's record: the JV team's makeup varies a lot from school to school. In some schools, they are playing 8th graders on JV because they don't have enough numbers in 9-12. Some schools play their junior and sophomore varsity starters for a half of JV. Some schools play all their JV players while some play only the ones that will help them win the JV game.

So I would agree that if a JV is 18-0 they must be pretty good, but figuring out just how good they are depends on how the program is run.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:35 am

I agree with BigCat in that it is interesting how everyone has a somewhat different definition of a dynasty. And that is perfectly all right. Personally I don't think that Ryan has a dynasty yet. Even if they have a very good season next year, even if they win it all, it still wouldn't be a dynasty to me. I don't think a dynasty needs to win championships every year. But, to me, dynasty refers to something that runs over many years. Obviously when using the term with sports the length drops from centuries or decades, but to me it has to be in that 8+ year range. To me a 60+ win streak can happen over the coarse of just 2 and 1/3 seasons. That can actually be less than half of some of our best players high school careers. Not very long at all.

Indy 5 questioned go maji about Bison Football. (I am a big Bison football fan). He questioned if the Bison wouldn't have won this year if they would have still been considered a dynasty. It had never occurred to me when I had first read go maji's post that he may have been talking about Bison football these past 5 seasons. I assumed that he was referring to them back in the 80's through mid 90's. To me the current Bison run doesn't make them a dynasty. I sure could, and I hope it is the start of one, but to me it isn't yet.

I don't think a dynasty needs to win it every year. I don't think a dynasty can't have a down year. But to me, it needs to sustain through multiple "generations" of students (8+).
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby CC1983 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:15 pm

I see what you are saying about multiple years being good. But what do you consider good, is it a trip to state 8 years in a row? Is it being in the regional title game 5 out of 8 years. Or maybe winning districts all 8. To me, and this is the wrong board for it, but Northstar boys would have to be considered. Langdon volleyball, NDSU football, and Minot high swimming would all be there.
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:04 pm

No, I don't feel a team would need to go to state 8 years in a row. I also think North Star is getting close, Langdon volleyball I would say yes. I'd probably put a team like Linton boys in a dynasty conversation. They are almost always in the regional championship discussion, and it has been that way for a long time. MPCG from the late 80's up until around 05 or so would also qualify for me. Shanley football, not their current nice stretch, but their run that ran until, I believe, the early 80's.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:02 pm

Bismarck High boys cross country, Minot girls swimming, West Fargo girls fastpitch
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:55 pm

Leeds went to 9 region championships, 6 state tourneys, 3 state championship games with one championship in a 15 year stretch from 1991-2005, but I don't consider it a dynasty. MPCG from 1995-2003 and Trinity from 1999-2007 or whenever their streak of 8 straight state appearances ended are the only 2 dynasties I would consider in the last 25 years
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:10 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Leeds went to 9 region championships, 6 state tourneys, 3 state championship games with one championship in a 15 year stretch from 1991-2005, but I don't consider it a dynasty. MPCG from 1995-2003 and Trinity from 1999-2007 or whenever their streak of 8 straight state appearances ended are the only 2 dynasties I would consider in the last 25 years

Are you just talking about class B? Because we've named about 10 teams that definitely qualify as dynasties.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:41 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Bismarck High boys cross country, Minot girls swimming, West Fargo girls fastpitch

Agreed on these...plus add Bismarck High Boys Track & Field

Going back in time...Bismarck Wrestling & Bowman Girls Cross County (25 titles in 27 years from 1979-2005) each had dynasties
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:28 am

go maji wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Leeds went to 9 region championships, 6 state tourneys, 3 state championship games with one championship in a 15 year stretch from 1991-2005, but I don't consider it a dynasty. MPCG from 1995-2003 and Trinity from 1999-2007 or whenever their streak of 8 straight state appearances ended are the only 2 dynasties I would consider in the last 25 years

Are you just talking about class B? Because we've named about 10 teams that definitely qualify as dynasties.

Yes, just class B boy's basketball
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:52 am

I'd consider that Leeds run a dynasty. I'd even consider the last 5-8 years for North Star boys a dynasty. To have that much success over more years than just 2 or 3 is a pretty big deal, I think. Now, "dynasty" can be interpreted very differently, but in the world of ND Class B ball....that's pretty dynasty like.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls