State Tournament Matchups

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

State Tournament Matchups

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:28 am

I was wondering how you see matchups for tournament turning out for the first day? I have only seen couple of teams play and that was early in the season. Thompson, LE, and Minot Ryan played each other early in the season but I don't hold much to how those games went each of these teams are much better and more seasoned than first couple of games of the season. Same thing goes for Shiloh and Minot Ryan that was early game in the season. Beach has beat Watford City and Thompson got by Central Cass. Kidder county looks to have come on end of the season.
I have been looking at the matchups it seems we will see contrasting of styles with Thompson and Beach. I think who ever shoots better and controls the boards is going to win this game. Shiloh looks to be better team against Kidder county but I don't know whole lot about them either. LE vs. Bishop should be interesting game both teams have impressive front lines and both can play dominate game. The question if LE can stay out of foul trouble and can shoot ball for the game if they can do this it could be real close game going down to the wire. Central Cass is big team compared to Watford City on paper should favor them but quickness is hard to measure until they play one another.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: State Tournament Matchups

Postby noles4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:01 am

B-oldtimer wrote: The question if LE can stay out of foul trouble and can shoot ball for the game if they can do this it could be real close game going down to the wire.

Truer statements cannot be said. If the two bigs for L-E are allowed their own set of rules against Ryan's bigs then this may be a game, however, if it is called anywhere even close to even I do not see this happening and see L-E's bigs spending the majority of the time on the bench. They have had some pretty good home cooking lately and that generally does not occur at the state level. Pretty sure the Devils Lake association does not have exclusive rights to the state tourney.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:15 am

noles4ever wrote:
B-oldtimer wrote: The question if LE can stay out of foul trouble and can shoot ball for the game if they can do this it could be real close game going down to the wire.

Truer statements cannot be said. If the two bigs for L-E are allowed their own set of rules against Ryan's bigs then this may be a game, however, if it is called anywhere even close to even I do not see this happening and see L-E's bigs spending the majority of the time on the bench. They have had some pretty good home cooking lately and that generally does not occur at the state level. Pretty sure the Devils Lake association does not have exclusive rights to the state tourney.

Or could it be that LAE was the better team? Had the best player out of the 10 on court and had the experience of playing in Region Championship games? Could it be that NS was just ran out of gas from playing in 2 tough come from behind wins in the first 2 rounds?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:16 am

noles4ever wrote:

Oh god. Spare me.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:19 am

noles4ever wrote:

If I'm HWC and RW I'm saying NS got away with hacking on the press. Just because teams don't lose legitimately, its always reffing conspiracy. Especially when the game is a blowout like LE-NS was.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby noles4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:43 am

I didn't even mention the NS game, but since you brought that one up…
That is my "expert" analysis of the state match-up, take it for what it is worth. :D
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby noles4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:45 am

oldtimer is the one that brought the foul trouble topic into consideration, I was just expanding on it. Lets let the first round play out before we start hurling insults there Wallenda :wink:
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:22 am

noles4ever wrote:oldtimer is the one that brought the foul trouble topic into consideration, I was just expanding on it. Lets let the first round play out before we start hurling insults there Wallenda :wink:

Insults? Where would those be? LE will have there hands full....
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:38 am

I brought up the foul situation in that Bishop Ryan is deeper team than LE and have much more size than LE.
I also want to disagree with you on your analysis of the Regional tournament as you go deeper in tournament process game gets more physical and tendency is to let them play especially inside. This is not only where they call this style of game believe me its how the game is being called. The LE game vs. Northstar was prime example of this. They generally won't call it when player is straight up or if they have ball first and are blocking the ball. Also when players of equal size and considered incidental contact its no foul. Northstar wasn't prepared for games like this in the regional and that was why they had two close games before the LE game. Somebody else on another thread said they didn't play very well like they had before with fast breaking but if you looked at the games they were being controlled on inside and beat on inside game. They were lucky to get to championship with there pressure press if referee had just called one of the steals they had a foul during these games they very could have lost. I believe LE had played several games like Northstar game this year against teams of Thompson, Bishop Ryan, Valley City, and Carrington. Northstar was unlucky in that when they played LE earlier Frieje girl was hurt and LE was experiencing flu situation also so they didn't see pressure man to man and a team that could match up size wise and was more physical than them. They only saw zone defense and nobody matched up against Hagler outside. Hagler girl had hard time to get her outside shot off with somebody her size covering her its something she needs to work on. Same thing can be said for Kvilvang girl also she not used playing against somebody her size. Also Northstar is young and next year they will be force to be contended with believe me they learned a lot of from this game and what they need to work on.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby noles4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:15 pm

This is the last I will comment on the topic. No call on the L-E bigs when they swat, body bumped, and elbowed, it was a foul against kvilvang and heisler when they did the same or less. Before you blast me on this wallenda or old-timer you better do some research of the still pictures out there of some pretty damning evidence of the questionable officiating and no calls against L-E's bigs in much of the Region 4 tourney. In this day and age of social media and technology it is kind of hard to get away with much.
This will hinder L-E in their state tourney match-up as they are now used to doing whatever they want and not getting called for it. It can be very hard to break yourself of the hand swat and the body bumps and the straight elbows when it has worked the last few games, and it only takes a couple right away to have a devastating effect at state tourney time. This will not help them when they go up against Minot Ryan when they will need their bigs on the court and the fact that they are in a mode right now to hack and get away with it could very well land one or both of them on the bench for excessive amounts of time.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Ok I see thats how they won by 20...they fouled their way there

Championship: D7#3 Lakota/Edmore def. D8#1 North Star 65-45
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby noles4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:31 pm

No, but you sit down a 6'3 girl in the first quarter o a pressing team and then sit down the region senior of the year and it has an effect on the morale and fluidity of the team, case in point, earlier in the year when L-E didn't have fridge :mrgreen:
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby noles4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm sorry, fluidity may be too big of a word for some of you, how about cohesion.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:37 pm

noles4ever wrote:No, but you sit down a 6'3 girl in the first quarter o a pressing team and then sit down the region senior of the year and it has an effect on the morale and fluidity of the team, case in point, earlier in the year when L-E didn't have fridge :mrgreen:

so they sat her because she'd been fouled to much?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby rains32 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Tough draw for L/E. I believe this is the third year in a row region 4 has had a tough first round game. L/E vs Grafton who won the championship 2 years ago, Benson County last year vs Bishop Ryan , and of course this year. Should be a fun weekend.
rains32
NDPreps Starter

Postby rains32 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:38 pm

winner-within wrote:
noles4ever wrote:No, but you sit down a 6'3 girl in the first quarter o a pressing team and then sit down the region senior of the year and it has an effect on the morale and fluidity of the team, case in point, earlier in the year when L-E didn't have fridge :mrgreen:

so they sat her because she'd been fouled to much?

:lol:
rains32
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:54 pm

noles4ever wrote:I'm sorry, fluidity may be too big of a word for some of you, how about cohesion.

Hey that's an insult! You hurt my feelings..... :lol:
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:56 pm

rains32 wrote:Tough draw for L/E. I believe this is the third year in a row region 4 has had a tough first round game. L/E vs Grafton who won the championship 2 years ago, Benson County last year vs Bishop Ryan , and of course this year. Should be a fun weekend.

Really tough draw. They'll need a lot of things to go right. I just hope all the opening round games are competitive like the boys tourney, that was one awesome first day.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:02 pm

noles4ever wrote:This is the last I will comment on the topic. No call on the L-E bigs when they swat, body bumped, and elbowed, it was a foul against kvilvang and heisler when they did the same or less. Before you blast me on this wallenda or old-timer you better do some research of the still pictures out there of some pretty damning evidence of the questionable officiating and no calls against L-E's bigs in much of the Region 4 tourney. In this day and age of social media and technology it is kind of hard to get away with much.
This will hinder L-E in their state tourney match-up as they are now used to doing whatever they want and not getting called for it. It can be very hard to break yourself of the hand swat and the body bumps and the straight elbows when it has worked the last few games, and it only takes a couple right away to have a devastating effect at state tourney time. This will not help them when they go up against Minot Ryan when they will need their bigs on the court and the fact that they are in a mode right now to hack and get away with it could very well land one or both of them on the bench for excessive amounts of time.

I'm guessing LE is far more concerned about what Minot Ryan brings than who/how the whistles will be blown. They call a hand check foul/arm bar on the first possession, you'd better adjust, or find your butt on the bench. They let the teams play, play physical, or lose to a more physical team. Just for the record, the region 4 tournament was fairly physical in my opinion. Not a blood bath, but certainly not called "ticky-tack", so to speak. That being said, I'd be shocked if a neutral observer would say the refs lost the game for NS vs. LE.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby noles4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:10 pm

So now you block my posts so I can't rebut what winner said, come on!!!
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby noles4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 pm

She had to sit do to 2 quick tickytacks in the 1st quarter while L-E bigs were able to commit borderline felonies on the other end. I would guess that NS big three were pretty black and blue on friday.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 pm

noles4ever wrote:So now you block my posts so I can't rebut what winner said, come on!!!

Why would you be blocked? You haven't been wild (thought I don't agree with much of what you said)......I'm interested in your conversation.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:21 pm

noles4ever wrote:She had to sit do to 2 quick tickytacks in the 1st quarter while L-E bigs were able to commit borderline felonies on the other end. I would guess that NS big three were pretty black and blue on friday.

I wouldnt have sat her.....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:18 pm

noles4ever wrote:She had to sit do to 2 quick tickytacks in the 1st quarter while L-E bigs were able to commit borderline felonies on the other end. I would guess that NS big three were pretty black and blue on friday.

What game were you watching? Felonies??
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby noles4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:47 pm

yes, I will reference said still photographs, unless you are unbiased or have seen the photos, do not comment.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Girls