Elegibility

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Elegibility

Postby sportfan2007 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Does anyone know the rules for eligibility regarding the total quarters a player can play a night (considering they play both Jr Varsity and Varsity) -- I thought it was only 6, but was wondering if that has changed for class B.

Also, what is the rule for how many weeks a player can play ?? Is there a standard timeframe for the season (looking at younger players that played and practiced with their junior high teams and then were pulled to play with JV or varsity squads. Junior High teams seem to start their season at least a month earlier than the high school squads). In the past it used to be they could only play for a certain time -- either so many weeks or so many quarters depending which came first.
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

Re: Elegibility

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:32 pm

Quarters is still SIX a night.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:22 pm

An individual has 16 weeks from their first practice. The 16 weeks comes from the 16 weeks between the first varsity practice and the end of the state tournament. If JH players start a month before varsity start, then they are done a month before the state tourney. You get 16 weeks, and Christmas vacation counts.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby T reporter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:29 am

Is there any limitation of the number of quarters, semesters or years a player can play varsity?
I see some states limit a player to eight semesters of varsity play. Would this mean that if an eighth grader played at the varsity level when they get to be a senior would not be eligible? Does ND have a rule like this?
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:26 pm

T reporter wrote:Is there any limitation of the number of quarters, semesters or years a player can play varsity?
I see some states limit a player to eight semesters of varsity play. Would this mean that if an eighth grader played at the varsity level when they get to be a senior would not be eligible? Does ND have a rule like this?

For ND my guess is the number of quarters is 6 times the number of games.
As far as the semester goes that usually doesn't start until their freshman season. Once your freshman year starts you can only play sports for the next 8 consecutive semesters.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:33 am

In ND, for quarters, you get 6 times the number of games your varsity is scheduled for in the Regular Season (Most regions would be 19 x 6, Region 7 is 21 X 6) As far as the 8 consecutive semesters that starts when you enroll as a freshman, they do not penalize 7th and 8th graders for being good enough to play varsity. 16 weeks is the number of weeks you can play basketball.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportfan2007 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:53 pm

What happens if a team does play someone over the six quarter limit ?? I would assume that day's games would be a forfeit if they won. Is there any penalty to the players ??
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:17 am

sportfan2007 wrote:What happens if a team does play someone over the six quarter limit ?? I would assume that day's games would be a forfeit if they won. Is there any penalty to the players ??

I don't think there is a penalty to the player...but the team does have to forfeit that game.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Hinsa » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:50 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
sportfan2007 wrote:What happens if a team does play someone over the six quarter limit ?? I would assume that day's games would be a forfeit if they won. Is there any penalty to the players ??

I don't think there is a penalty to the player...but the team does have to forfeit that game.

I cannot confirm what the current rule is on a penalty to the player, but it used to be that the game was forfeited, 2-0, AND the player was suspended for one game.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:59 am

Hinsa wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I cannot confirm what the current rule is on a penalty to the player, but it used to be that the game was forfeited, 2-0, AND the player was suspended for one game.

Yep you are right...player would be suspended for one game.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Baller » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Why is it the players fault?? All responsibility should lie with coach. I bet there are players that don't even realize there is a limit.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:04 pm

No argument there. The player gets punished for something that is the coach's job.

I think when they came up with the penalty for this rule they thought they were punishing the coach by taking away the player for a game. The real penalty for the coach is the forfeit of the game.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby momofathletes » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:40 pm

How about if the team that has the kid that played too many quarters loses that game? You can't forfeit a game that you already lost. Does just the kid sit out the next game?
There's No Crying in Basketball
momofathletes
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:44 pm

momofathletes wrote:How about if the team that has the kid that played too many quarters loses that game? You can't forfeit a game that you already lost. Does just the kid sit out the next game?

I would assume that would be the case there...but yes you can still forfeit a lost game (however not sure how the NDHSAA would rule that).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Girls