Dakota Prairie

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby peppers » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:41 pm

I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on the Gillett cousins. I heard that they are suppose to be pretty good.
peppers
NDPreps Rookie

Postby foreversioux » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:00 pm

The Gillett Cousins - Kirstie, a sr. and Jenna, a jr.  Kirstie is 5'10" and Jenna is a solid 6'0".  They play well together in the paint.  This is not surprising, as they have played the game together, both within the school system and out of, since elementary school.  They played on seperate AAU teams this summer...working towards a better finish to their high school season this year.  They are both HUNGRY and DETERMINED.  Kirstie's last chance to get to the elite ND high school eight.  I think the competition they met this summer helped to strengthen their confidence and game....We'll see starting November 28th.
foreversioux

Postby Diamond D » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:05 am

I can't believe Kirstie took the bait and committed to UND.  She is a great ball player, but has basically spent her entire career inside the paint and you know dang well that isn't where she will play at UND.

I predict her sitting on the bench while UND waits to see if she can make the transition to an outside player.

She messed up.  She could have easily gone to a strong women's junior college team like LRSC has and played ball for two strong years while putting some weight on in the weightroom.  With LRSC's program she probably would have seen some time at Nationals where she would have been noticed by even more schools.

Last edited by Diamond D on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby Batman » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:55 am

Who knows, maybe it was a personnal choice of hers to play for a good program that was close to home.  Perhaps her reason was academics, as it should be.  Maybe she's content to not start right away, the bottom line is she made a choice and hopefully she is happy with it and that's all that really matters.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby rkmt » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:07 pm

Diamond D wrote:I can't believe Kirstie took the bait and committed to UND.  She is a great ball player, but has basically spent her entire career inside the paint and you know dang well that isn't where she will play at UND.

I predict her sitting on the bench while UND waits to see if she can make the transition to an outside player.

She messed up.  She could have easily gone to a strong women's junior college team like LRSC has and played ball for two strong years while putting some weight on in the weightroom.  With LRSC's program she probably would have seen some time at Nationals where she would have been noticed by even more schools.

Sometimes I think these girls get their heads too far up in the sky.

I can see where you are coming from, but Kirstie Gillett has unusual speed for a big girl.  She was a state placer in the 100 meters in like 8th or 9th grade - a knee injury sidelined her track career, but the speed to get up and down the court is still there.  I've seen her run the court very well, and I think she can handle the ball and shoot from outside well enough to get on the court at UND.  It may take her longer to make her mark -  you may be right about that.  But I predict she will.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:30 pm

Diamond D wrote:Sometimes I think these girls get their heads too far up in the sky.

i think that some people have their heads too far up something else.

if she wants to get an education from und and play a little ball while she puts together the foundation for her adult life, your opinion on it becomes fairly moot. (i don't mean 'without volume' i.e. mute).

one thing about und and ndsu, kids in this state grow up wanting to go to one or the other from a pretty young age. only a select few can go there and play a sport for them. any time one has a chance, i say go for it. the positives far outweigh the negatives.
rep

Postby baseball » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:43 pm

i agree with rep on this one. what good does it do for a girl to go to a better basketball school for a worse education?  what are the odds of her going on to play in the WNBA and make a living of basketball?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby foreversioux » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:52 pm

She is a great ball player, but has basically spent her entire career inside the paint and you know dang well that isn't where she will play at UND.

[font=comic sans ms][size=2]Essentially, Kirstie has taken the role her high school team/coach has given her and worked hard to make the most of it.  She got called up early to varsity play and PUT in the PAINT.  As a 5' 8" freshman, she scored 392 points, pulled down over 200 rebounds and stole the ball 54 times.  Her sophmore year was a re-builder...an ACL tear.  Last year, as a junior we saw Kirstie workin' her way back to normal - which for her is AWESOME.  [/size][/font]

[font=comic sans ms]I think Coach Roebuck recognizes her work ethic and natural athletic ability.  She will make the most of whatever position she gets to play on the court.  And she will put in the time/effort/sweat/whatever it takes to get on that court.
[/font]

She could have easily gone to a strong women's junior college team like LRSC has and played ball for two strong years while putting some weight on in the weightroom.  With LRSC's program she probably would have seen some time at Nationals where she would have been noticed by even more schools.

[font=comic sans ms]I don't think LRSC was one of the colleges sending Kirstie things expressing interest...and it is the closest to her (distance-wise).  Maybe they figured she could/would/should play in a larger program???  Or maybe they waited too long...[/font]
foreversioux

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:51 am

I hardly doubt that Schwab would pass on her. He knows talent when he sees it and I am sure he was contacting her or her coach.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Diamond D » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:16 am

LRSC did try and talk with her, but she only came to campus once.  She even practiced with the girls.

As for the education, are you saying that LRSC couldn't have given her a good start on her education??  Wow, how educated are you on LRSC?  Must not be so bad since Mr. Basketball (Travis Mertens) decided to go there. 

I don't think many of you understand how much better off a young lady or man can be by attending a junior college before heading off to a big school.

Take Cara Demain.  She started at LRSC and transferred to UND.  Same with Darcy Deutsch (sp?).  Were they not great ballplayers for UND?  

How about last year's LRSC standouts Rebecca Mercer and Katie Shafer?  After playing in two National Tournaments, were heavily recruited by D-1 schools with great academic backgrounds (Arizona and Montana).  LRSC point guard Anna Lee Brady went onto UND.

There are plenty of others as well.  

IHMO I believe Kristie is a great ball player, but UND is "hoping" she can make the transition.  There is no guarantee.  By attending a strong junior college program she can get her academics and play ball all while putting weight on and improving her outside game and when she transfers, she knows why she is being recruited because that upper level team is bringing her in not because they are "hoping" she can make the transition, but because they "know" she can.

That is just my opinion though. 

DD 
Last edited by Diamond D on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby rep » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:55 am

Diamond D wrote:As for the education, are you saying that LRSC couldn't have given her a good start on her education??  Wow, how educated are you on LRSC?  Must not be so bad since Mr. Basketball (Travis Mertens) decided to go there. 

i don't believe i questioned one school's ability to educate a kid over another's.
rep

Postby Diamond D » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:32 am

"what good does it do for a girl to go to a better basketball school for a worse education?"

baseball wrote it.  I was referring to him on that subject.

If you felt that post was specifically directed at you, my appologies.  I was trying to do a blanket response.

DD
Diamond D

Postby baseball » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:56 pm

Diamond D wrote:"what good does it do for a girl to go to a better basketball school for a worse education?"

baseball wrote it.  I was referring to him on that subject.

If you felt that post was specifically directed at you, my appologies.  I was trying to do a blanket response.

DD

i didnt mean to say that it was a bad academic school, just saying that maybe it was a better choice with a more in depth learning of her major.  i was just saying its not all about playing time, some of the decision could (i dont see why) have been academics for her.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketball1234 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:46 pm

Kirstie is the kind of person that has an amazing work ethic. You can throw anything at her and tell her how to do something once and she will do it right the first time. I don't think this is the place to sit and bash a persons college choice.
basketball1234
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Diamond D » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:16 am

And where should we bash on a person's choice of college?  Take this as a compliment.  She is one (if not) theee best ball player in the state.  Everyone wants her and everyone should be entitled to an opinion....but remember it is just an opinion. Nothing more than an opinion so don't read too far into it.

1st post??  Maybe Kirstie's good friend? 

Tell your bud Kirstie that she is an excellent ball player.  I wish her the best of luck wherever she decides to go. 

I still stand by my opinion.  UND is a great program, but there are no gaurantees from Roebuck that she will play next year.  If she goes to a strong women's program like LRSC, she knows she is being recruited to play.  Meaning she is gauranteed 30 or more strong games on the floor playing plenty of minutes.  There is no gaurantee from UND she will do that next year.

I ask what happens if they redshirt her next year.  That is an entire year without playing ball.  Just practicing with the team.  But if she comes to LRSC and plays, she will see lots of floor time and even after 1 year, she could transfer into UND and play with them.  She may even get to play in a National Tournament as LRSC has gone two straight years now.  You would be surprised at how many D-1 schools show up there to recruit junior college athletes.

Cara Demaine, Darcy Deutsch and many others started at LRSC and went onto UND to have incredible careers with them. 

As I stated above.  Just my extremely humble opinion.  I think Kirstie should focus on her senior year and not college right now.  We ALL look forward to seeing her on the floor this fall/winter.  Best of luck to Dakota Prairie.

DD
Diamond D

Postby baseball » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:44 am

IMO but if UND is hoping that she makes the jump from inside to outside....maybe a redshirt wouldnt be the worst thing.  practice with the team, make the jump, and come back the next year prepared and not losing any years.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:50 pm

Just to give Dakota Prairie some identity, whenever I talk about them in football or baseball or basketball I always get the question who is Dakota prairie?

So people know, it is the communities of Tolna, Hamar, Pekin, Mcville, Kloten, Aneta, Petersburg, Dahlen, Mapes,  ( every town in Nelson County but Lakota)

The Gillett Girls are from Tolna
Last edited by GRIDIRON GURU on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby pbhoopsters » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:38 pm

I am a strong believer that Kirstie will do well at UND. She proved herself against some very good AAU teams this summer. She played against many tall Minneapolis players this summer at exposure events and did very well against them. Coach Roebuck has a tendency of finding somewhat smaller post players who can run the floor well. Not only does Kirstie do this well but she has a very quick second jump "Dennis Rodman - like" that helps make her a good rebounder. I am a big Kirstie Gillett fan and will be cheering her on during her career at UND! Go Kirstie!
Last edited by pbhoopsters on Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbhoopsters

Postby thesports_guy32 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:04 am

I saw they lost by 1 to Adams-Edmore last night. What happened there? Bad DP game or is AE that good?
thesports_guy32

Postby Diamond D » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:34 am

Couldn't get to the game yesterday, but good friend and coach did.  Said DP had trouble with the press.  That the Gillett girl, Jenna stepped it up and showed that she has some incredible skills as a junior. 

Was told that the Tolna crowd was a little obnoxious at refs and Coach Forde.  I guess some just can't keep their mouths shut.

This might be a good thing for them.  Rated #1 and loose right away.  This brings them down to the ground level and anyone with their head in the cloud is quickly reminded that you need to work hard to get the job done.

I have alot of faith in Forde.  He is a top notch coach and he will do a good job of gettting the girls focussed and back to worksite.

Last edited by Diamond D on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:54 am

Diamond D wrote:Couldn't get to the game yesterday, but good friend and coach did.  Said DP had trouble with the press.  That the Gillett girl, Jenna stepped it up and showed that she has some incredible skills as a junior. 

Was told that the Tolna crowd was a little obnoxious at refs and Coach Forde.  I guess some just can't keep their mouths shut.

This might be a good thing for them.  Rated #1 and loose right away.  This brings them down to the ground level and anyone with their head in the cloud is quickly reminded that you need to work hard to get the job done.

I have alot of faith in Forde.  He is a top notch coach and he will do a good job of gettting the girls focussed and back to worksite.

Tolna crowd?  You no specifically that the crowd was from Tolna? The team is Dakota Prairie, it is a Dakota Prairie crowd.  Which means the crowd could have been from any one of six towns.  Its pretty harsh to say that it was a "Tolna crowd" that was yelling at the refs.  I'm sure that the crowd had there opinion, but to say it was just Tolna fan's thats just not right to say. Seriously, its Dakota Prairie not Tolna.  Its unfair to the people of Tolna to say it was just the Tolna fans yelling at the refs.
Last edited by pakkyzoo on Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby the unknown » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:37 am

Wasn't this site set up to talk bout teams and players in a good way?? Which would mean not bashing players,teams and towns......

the unknown

Postby baseball » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:03 am

idk but was the game maybe played in Tolna?  if it was it doesnt suprise me that he said "tolna crowd" because thats just shorter and esier then typin Dakota Praire every time.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby EASTFAN » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:14 am

THe game wasnt played in Tolna it was a Ramsey County Tournement...so it was obviously played in Devils Lake in theSports Arena! So he was obiviously saying it to the Tolna Crowd!

Last edited by EASTFAN on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
EASTFAN

Postby Diamond D » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:12 am

EASTFAN:  Take a chill pill man.  I said I wasn't at the game, but my friend was.  He originally from Petersburg so he knows most of the people in that area.  He just said that there were some "Tolna" parents that got a little out of hand.  Just his opinion.  Maybe he just had one bad one sitting behind him or something?

Just to make you settle down, I will re-vamp what I said.   I was told that "some" of the DP fans were a little out of control yelling at refs and at Coach Forde.

As I stated above, Coach Forde will do a good job of working with the girls and I bet we all will here some big things coming from DP in the future. 

Diamond D

Next

Return to Girls