13-14 Season

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 13-14 Season

Postby Baller » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:29 pm

radball wrote:ball45,, just fyi, schools can't recruit sophmores, they can watch them and keep stats. So your 100% certainty falls on def ears. Yes I know they don't say "recruiting" but you said they were. So

They can recruit through email, letters, parents, and coaches. They cannot talk face to face. So yes, they can "recruit" Sophomores.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:00 pm

radball wrote:ball45,, just fyi, schools can't recruit sophmores, they can watch them and keep stats. So your 100% certainty falls on def ears. Yes I know they don't say "recruiting" but you said they were. So

Radball, just fyi, schools can recruit 7th graders. Coaching staffs can talk to players as long as they are on campus at any time they choose to do so. I just had a player visiting with the head coaches of both UND and NDSU and that player is a freshman. So schools can definitely recruit sophomores. Schools can also extend scholarship offers to players almost at any time they wish to do so. Again, it is rare, but feasible, that a school will extend an offer to a player before he or she even plays basketball as a high school player.

I am right.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Every year you hear of a kid that verbals when they are in 7th or 8th grade.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballchicken » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:45 am

especially in north dakota!
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby fandb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Radball, by the looks of the schedule, you will be scouting in Minot, ND this weekend as the best player and team in the state Class B girls will be playing the tall girls on Friday night in Minot.
Wish I could be there
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:13 pm

We got word Thompson is one person short that started last year, for a couple games. So it will be interesting to see who it is( I think its the one that got hurt at state vball, not sure though). We got a friend in Bismarck we are sending up to check out the game. To cold for us.lol. Regarding recruiting, anybody at any age can verbally say anything, heck a 4 grader can say "i'm going to UCONN to play" don't mean anything. Recruiting is regarded as, giving a formal offer(school assistance, tuition,ect..) Anyway. Just hoping for a good clean season. Last years B state tourney was AWESOME, hoping for another one.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:10 pm

radball wrote:We got word Thompson is one person short that started last year, for a couple games. So it will be interesting to see who it is( I think its the one that got hurt at state vball, not sure though). We got a friend in Bismarck we are sending up to check out the game. To cold for us.lol. Regarding recruiting, anybody at any age can verbally say anything, heck a 4 grader can say "i'm going to UCONN to play" don't mean anything. Recruiting is regarded as, giving a formal offer(school assistance, tuition,ect..) Anyway. Just hoping for a good clean season. Last years B state tourney was AWESOME, hoping for another one.

Do you understand how the recruiting process works? Also, a school definitely CAN offer a scholarship to a player prior to his or her sophomore season.

As you are pretending to be a staff member from NDSU of UND, kindly tell us who you have offered from North Dakota.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby fandb » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Christmas advise for free:
Be very careful when posting about young kids and especially student athletes. To put expectations on those kids can be very counterproductive. I am not sure of who Radbal may be, but know this, he or she is not a scout. I should say will not be one very long. If you are scouting for a college team, you will not be in ND watching many girls. As many have elaborated, about both the quality and number of athletes in this state that can play at a level outside the state are far and few.
Yes, it can be fun to put things on this page to cause a stir, and yes, Ratbal, Radbal, you did just that. But you put some unrealistic expectations on a young student athlete. I would suggest that the board "block" future posts of this nature. There are far better things to discuss than this.
Merry Christmas
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:41 pm

Fandb, the post name is Radbal. Just some FYI. I will never talk down to your level. Talent is everywhere, but finding a student athlete with good grades and the right mentality is hard to find. I think ND has a lot of good athletes that have the potential to play D1, and if that have that dream, that's awesome! ,, Fandb, so you decide what people post on here(as long as they don't bully, or bash people or schools or swear they should be aloud),, hold on, you post wouldn't have been aloud then. , I will never swear on someone else post or mine(they call that respect) . The people that run this blog is doing a good job, I think, and I will NEVER tell them how to run it. But besides that, Gbasketball is in full swing now and should see some good games(a lot of traveling this year,,errr, but worth it)
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Flip wrote:You've got old school winner grammar and spelling.

I hope your not talkin about me
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby fandb » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Apology and clarification.
Radbal, first of all; apology for the slap at your username.
I am not implying kids in ND cannot play. I am implying you are not scouting for a Div.1 program in ND. (Watching volleyball film, keeping individual stats at summer league...) Kids in ND are a special group. They are highly thought of for their work ethic both on and off the court. But lets be real and honest in posts. Not many of our kids can make it outside the state. NDSU, UND, all State colleges, and the fine 2 year programs we have in this state are all great opportunities for our ND student athletes.
That being said, take a look at all the colleges and universities in ND and their rosters in all sports. I would invite anyone to give that stat. What percentage are North Dakotans?
I certainly am not trying to tell the administrators what to do. They do a super job. My point was that posts that single out kids by name and lofty expectations falls into an abyss of unrealistic expectations and pressure.
Was no bullying, nor improper language.
Once again, MERRY CHRISTMAS
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:57 am

If you look at the rosters of the D1 programs across the country, keep in mind that not all of the players are on full scholarships, or they didn't join their programs initially with money on the table from the program. With all the opportunities provided to ND kids to compete closer to home, attend a smaller and less expensive college, have support of family, and receive a good education, it is a tough sell for many big universities to get any recruit whose families live far away. Texas gets a lot of Texas kids, California colleges get a lot of California kids, and now we are seeing North Dakota schools getting more North Dakota kids. We have kids who are competing at Olympic levels in track, and NDSU was still one of their top two choices. ND kids are being looked at, and just because you don't see them on the roster at Stanford or UConn, it doesn't mean that they didn't get looked at. FYI...a Valley City grad is still on the top 20 scoring list at Stanford University. She got recruited before the internet and cell phones were so important in the mid-80's.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby fandb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:10 am

Good point Scoobyx
Just point of clarification, in Div. 1 women's basketball, I believe all scholarships are full. A University will likely have to have the full compliment of 15 scholarships to
be allowed to participate. That does not mean that there cannot be a walkon (Non (zero) scholarship).
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:14 pm

fandb wrote:Good point Scoobyx
Just point of clarification, in Div. 1 women's basketball, I believe all scholarships are full. A University will likely have to have the full compliment of 15 scholarships to
be allowed to participate. That does not mean that there cannot be a walkon (Non (zero) scholarship).

I knew that men had 13 and women had 15, but I don't really understand how redshirted players and walk-ons fit in that mix.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Walk-ons don't get anything. Redshirted players can be given scholarships, but dont have to be. As an example, AJ is redshirting with a scholarship, but Brian Ishola who will be at NDSU will redshirt without a scholarship. A lot of times you will hear of players where they are offered a preferred walk on with a likely scholarship their redshirt sophomore-senior years, like a James Richman (UND).

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:31 pm

radball wrote:Fandb, the post name is Radbal. Just some FYI. I will never talk down to your level. Talent is everywhere, but finding a student athlete with good grades and the right mentality is hard to find. I think ND has a lot of good athletes that have the potential to play D1, and if that have that dream, that's awesome! ,, Fandb, so you decide what people post on here(as long as they don't bully, or bash people or schools or swear they should be aloud),, hold on, you post wouldn't have been aloud then. , I will never swear on someone else post or mine(they call that respect) . The people that run this blog is doing a good job, I think, and I will NEVER tell them how to run it. But besides that, Gbasketball is in full swing now and should see some good games(a lot of traveling this year,,errr, but worth it)

What fandb is stating is that you gave unrealistic expectations of a player who will not be able to live up to them. Not only that, but you impersonated a D1 scout while doing so. I personally find that to be in very bad taste. As a person who actually knows North Dakota basketball a bit, it is annoying and bothersome when someone provides false information, and I will jump on someone when they do that.

You also struck a nerve with me by insulting players such as Hannah Stewart, Gabbie Bohl, Fallyn Freije, Jordyn Jossart, Sarah Jacobson, Cassie Askvig, Rylee Nudell, Jaye Two Bears, Tylee Irwin, Akealy Moton, and Amber Burtness, by stating that there are only 2 players in this state that D1 schools would consider recruiting, when I have personally had conversations with D1 coaches about EVERY SINGLE ONE of these players.

@fandb, we did discuss banning Radball in the Moderator Forum, but I was having a bit of fun with this discussion and I was waiting for Radball to admit that he/she is not a D1 scout.

P.S. I do feel bad that Radball chose to give unrealistic expectations of Marx. She had 2 points againt Minot Ryan in that game. I do not cheer for players to fail or not succeed, but what may have just been an off night is now magnified by a lot of people who read this, simply because Radball chose to completely overhype an above average sophomore.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby nduser1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Personally I wish none of us got involved in naming kids on the site. only adds pressure to them, pressure and talking among kids that DON'T get names brought up by us, etc... just saying
nduser1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:06 pm

balla45 wrote:
radball wrote:Fandb, the post name is Radbal. Just some FYI. I will never talk down to your level. Talent is everywhere, but finding a student athlete with good grades and the right mentality is hard to find. I think ND has a lot of good athletes that have the potential to play D1, and if that have that dream, that's awesome! ,, Fandb, so you decide what people post on here(as long as they don't bully, or bash people or schools or swear they should be aloud),, hold on, you post wouldn't have been aloud then. , I will never swear on someone else post or mine(they call that respect) . The people that run this blog is doing a good job, I think, and I will NEVER tell them how to run it. But besides that, Gbasketball is in full swing now and should see some good games(a lot of traveling this year,,errr, but worth it)

What fandb is stating is that you gave unrealistic expectations of a player who will not be able to live up to them. Not only that, but you impersonated a D1 scout while doing so. I personally find that to be in very bad taste. As a person who actually knows North Dakota basketball a bit, it is annoying and bothersome when someone provides false information, and I will jump on someone when they do that.

You also struck a nerve with me by insulting players such as Hannah Stewart, Gabbie Bohl, Fallyn Freije, Jordyn Jossart, Sarah Jacobson, Cassie Askvig, Rylee Nudell, Jaye Two Bears, Tylee Irwin, Akealy Moton, and Amber Burtness, by stating that there are only 2 players in this state that D1 schools would consider recruiting, when I have personally had conversations with D1 coaches about EVERY SINGLE ONE of these players.

@fandb, we did discuss banning Radball in the Moderator Forum, but I was having a bit of fun with this discussion and I was waiting for Radball to admit that he/she is not a D1 scout.

P.S. I do feel bad that Radball chose to give unrealistic expectations of Marx. She had 2 points againt Minot Ryan in that game. I do not cheer for players to fail or not succeed, but what may have just been an off night is now magnified by a lot of people who read this, simply because Radball chose to completely overhype an above average sophomore.

I couldn't agree more balla, well put. It bothers me when people impersonate someone to drive a personal agenda. I have no problem when people come on here and say "I'm from ------- and think that ------is as good as any player in the state." Great, we're all entitled to our opinion. But don't make up some story about being a college scout, etc....
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby fandb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Balla45 and Flying Wallenda kudos to stating so well.
Reminds me of Edward Everett and his response to Lincolns Gettyburg address.
"I should be glad, if I could flatter myself that I came as near to the central idea of the occasion, in two hours, as you did in two minutes"
Balla45, was not looking for radbal to be banned, but for him/her to be real...
I think you and the board do an incredible job.
Merry Christmas
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:57 am

nduser1 wrote:Personally I wish none of us got involved in naming kids on the site. only adds pressure to them, pressure and talking among kids that DON'T get names brought up by us, etc... just saying

I agree. A coach once told me: Watch the game knowing you are going to see a star play, and appreciate that you don't know who that may be.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby radball » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:47 am

hi,in a way I agree, but when they listed names, I thought it was fair to put names, I originally didn't want to, but I thought, if they already listed names, whats wrong with one more. If I had to do it over again , I wouldn't have listen names. I remind people, I didn't start the list of names. Just mentioned one more, and hoped people would take time and watch a up and coming student/athlete. I remember watching a young star in SD, Eric Kline, I got a phone call from a friend in Aberdeen sd, to come up and watch him, I was in the area and watched him play(as a sophomore and later as a senior) and I truly believe to this day I was watching one of the best pure shooters ever(and a very good team player)!! and he went on to play college ball and choose to become a school administrator. But I was lucky to get a call to watch one of the best players in the country that year. You never know, just go out and enjoy the game.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:55 am

Ok I held off enough on this topic:

Radball, you are not a scout, no one is buying what you're trying to sell. The girl from Thompson will be a very good player I am sure, but you're putting unfair pressure on her by claiming to be a scout from a big time conference. There are talented players all over ND both on the boys and girls side, can some play college ball? Absolutely. However, there have only been a few dozen players from ND who made it to big time college basketball, and those players were "dudes" or "studs" whatever your terminology is for them. So if you are a friend or family member or have ties to Thompson (which you are one of the 3) let her play ball, develop and showcase her skills to the state. If she does that, then the real college scouts will come a calling.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:12 pm

radball wrote:hi,in a way I agree, but when they listed names, I thought it was fair to put names, I originally didn't want to, but I thought, if they already listed names, whats wrong with one more. If I had to do it over again , I wouldn't have listen names. I remind people, I didn't start the list of names. Just mentioned one more, and hoped people would take time and watch a up and coming student/athlete. I remember watching a young star in SD, Eric Kline, I got a phone call from a friend in Aberdeen sd, to come up and watch him, I was in the area and watched him play(as a sophomore and later as a senior) and I truly believe to this day I was watching one of the best pure shooters ever(and a very good team player)!! and he went on to play college ball and choose to become a school administrator. But I was lucky to get a call to watch one of the best players in the country that year. You never know, just go out and enjoy the game.

"Best pure shooters ever" in the world? or SD....and how close was your college you scout for in landing him or did he rule you out right away?....what sorta scholarship did you recommend for him? and where did he play?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:51 pm

"Best pure shooters ever" in the world? or SD....and how close was your <a class="ktg6us78hf8vdu7" href="javascript:void(0)">college</a> you scout for in landing him or did he rule you out right away?....what sorta scholarship did you recommend for him? and where did he play?[/quote]

I can answer the last question for you - He played at Northern State University in Aberdeen, SD (His hometown and where I think he still lives). I believe he is also the all time leading scorer at Northern.
Also, I think Northern was NAIA at the time, but I could be wrong on that.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:49 pm

radball wrote:hi,in a way I agree, but when they listed names, I thought it was fair to put names, I originally didn't want to, but I thought, if they already listed names, whats wrong with one more. If I had to do it over again , I wouldn't have listen names. I remind people, I didn't start the list of names.

You were the first poster to name an individual in this topic.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Girls