13-14 Season

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 13-14 Season

Postby Hinsa » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:07 am

radball wrote:has anybody heard of the Kansas jayhawks? They will find a position in the school or in the town and have their family move up. It does happen alot more than you realize.

What do the Kansas Jayhawks have to do with North Dakota Class B girls basketball? Are you insinuating that a high school has the same funding and resources as a major college university???? :shock:
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wildcat » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Class B'ers can complain about private schools, but it's happening all over. I can think of Fargo area wrestlers, hockey players, Class B girls basketball players (even this year in Region 4), and many others who transfer from public to public.

Just because a transfer wants to go to a different school, doesn't mean there was recruiting going on. Outside of making an athlete sit out a year for transferring without a change of address, I'm not sure what else you can do.

You can't stop a family from moving. If they want to move, they have every right, regardless of what it may or may not do to your team's chances of winning regionals this year.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:19 am

Wildcat wrote:Class B'ers can complain about private schools, but it's happening all over. I can think of Fargo area wrestlers, hockey players, Class B girls basketball players (even this year in Region 4), and many others who transfer from public to public.

I think it is probably way worse in the larger states too.

Just because a transfer wants to go to a different school, doesn't mean there was recruiting going on. Outside of making an athlete sit out a year for transferring without a change of address, I'm not sure what else you can do.

This too and I'm pretty sure there is no rule preventing other student athletes from recruiting.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:11 am

The comment on Kansas is fairly inaccurate. Yes, rarely, in high major D1 basketball will you see a 5 star recruit bring along an AAU or high school coach. Again, very rarely. Off hand I can only think recently of Rudy Gay and Michael Beasley. So I would not call this a teens, but moreof a rare occurance. I highly doubt the amount of money that Hannah Stewart brings in to Bishop Ryan, by increasing attendance and what not, is even one one hundredth of what you are talking about with these high major schools. It doesn't happen in all high school basketball. In the NCAA where a player can bring a program 10 million, it rarely happens. In a high school where a player maybe brings an additional 10 thousand, it doesn't happen.

P.S. I really think people should stop with all of these bogus rumors against the Stewart family and Bishop Ryan. They are good at basketball. Deal with it and move on.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby radball » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am

well, we were told that 2 top players from New Town, transferred to Bishop. And I think its wrong they just happen to go to a team that is in "B", that should be in "A". And Bishop needed 2 guard players and the students that transferred happen to be starting point guards/ power forwards. Can anybody tell me why bishop isn't class "A"?
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:26 am

radball wrote:well, we were told that 2 top players from New Town, transferred to Bishop. And I think its wrong they just happen to go to a team that is in "B", that should be in "A". And Bishop needed 2 guard players and the students that transferred happen to be starting point guards/ power forwards. Can anybody tell me why bishop isn't class "A"?

Yeah, their enrollment isn't above 325
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby gvmearees » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:38 am

I heard a similar story. Ryan had all girls in the city of Minot try out and kept the best ones. That's why Minot High only has 19 girls out for basketball from Soph thru Senior. Minot High was able to keep about 5 key players due to loyalty but most of the good ones are at Ryan.
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:40 am

gvmearees wrote:I heard a similar story. Ryan had all girls in the city of Minot try out and kept the best ones. That's why Minot High only has 19 girls out for basketball from Soph thru Senior. Minot High was able to keep about 5 key players due to loyalty but most of the good ones are at Ryan.

You guys are just getting ridiculous. I'm sorry, but that is not how athletics work in our state. Even if students transferred between Minot and Bishop Ryan they would have to sit out a full season.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby gvmearees » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:48 am

At least the part about 19 girls out at Minot High is true!!!!
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:07 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
radball wrote:well, we were told that 2 top players from New Town, transferred to Bishop. And I think its wrong they just happen to go to a team that is in "B", that should be in "A". And Bishop needed 2 guard players and the students that transferred happen to be starting point guards/ power forwards. Can anybody tell me why bishop isn't class "A"?

Yeah, their enrollment isn't above 325

Yeah its more like 131 students...which is a little above average for Class B
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby radball » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:09 pm

they were at like 256(I think, according to state records) in 2011, and pretty sure that has gone up.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:20 pm

anyway, who do you think will win the first game? Bishop or Thompson? At minot. if Thompson DOESN'T press , they will win, huge mistake at state, if tommies make bishop tall people dribble the ball, tommies will win. And Thompson play's as a team. Oh yea, they also have a player that is in the top 2 in the state(n all divisions).And only a sophmore
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:29 pm

radball wrote:they were at like 256(I think, according to state records) in 2011, and pretty sure that has gone up.

you must be including their middle school with that...NDHSAA Member Directory says 131 (9-12) for Bishop Ryan. Since you are so high on Thompson...maybe you should check their enrollment?!?! Not as small as you would think...

http://www.ndhsaa.com/files/MemberSchoolDirectory.pdf
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:32 pm

radball wrote:anyway, who do you think will win the first game? Bishop or Thompson? At minot. if Thompson DOESN'T press , they will win, huge mistake at state, if tommies make bishop tall people dribble the ball, tommies will win. And Thompson play's as a team. Oh yea, they also have a player that is in the top 2 in the state(n all divisions).And only a sophmore

Shaice Marx is a good player...but you need to slow down here a bit. There are plenty of girls in Class A (and B) that are better than her now...however, as a senior she could very well be one of the best in the state if she works at it!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby radball » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:25 pm

this last summer at a tourney tommies played one of the top teams in "a" and beat them pretty good to. I take it you don't scout for D1 schools. We don't look for scorers, we look for defense and the tangibles(anybody can score at some point). She guarded top players in "b" last year and shut them down to less than 6 points each time(when she guarded them, total time). I remind you, our belief the coach held her back most of the season except towards the end. We have the numbers of the people she guarded and that person's season's numbers, numbers don't lie! She is 5-8 now, and can jump even higher than last year(teams are watchin her for vball to,errr) (rebounds ave really stood out at state, remember she is a guard,14 in ONE game). That was as a non starter and freshmen,by the way. After state last year in both divisions, their would be 3 players we would recruit, one we can't till next year. The reason why tommies lost to bishop is simple, never press a taller team, they pass over the top and your running back every time and they score before you can even turn around. You beat tall teams,by making them dribble in a half court game, that leads to TO's .,, side notes,in camps Shaice has played against the best, in a,b, and well like I said before, numbers don't lie. I thought the girl from HCV was one of the best , till that game, when shaice shut Taylor down, and help take over the game in OT. That and other games changed my thoughts. But without the whole team playing together, Thompson will have a hard time. Yes their are many excellent players in the state, but 2 have really stood out. We wish ALL teams and players good luck and have fun. Who is your top rated players?
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:08 pm

radball wrote:this last summer at a tourney tommies played one of the top teams in "a" and beat them pretty good to. I take it you don't scout for D1 schools. We don't look for scorers, we look for defense and the tangibles(anybody can score at some point). She guarded top players in "b" last year and shut them down to less than 6 points each time(when she guarded them, total time). I remind you, our belief the coach held her back most of the season except towards the end. We have the numbers of the people she guarded and that person's season's numbers, numbers don't lie! She is 5-8 now, and can jump even higher than last year(teams are watchin her for vball to,errr) (rebounds ave really stood out at state, remember she is a guard,14 in ONE game). That was as a non starter and freshmen,by the way. After state last year in both divisions, their would be 3 players we would recruit, one we can't till next year. The reason why tommies lost to bishop is simple, never press a taller team, they pass over the top and your running back every time and they score before you can even turn around. You beat tall teams,by making them dribble in a half court game, that leads to TO's .,, side notes,in camps Shaice has played against the best, in a,b, and well like I said before, numbers don't lie. I thought the girl from HCV was one of the best , till that game, when shaice shut Taylor down, and help take over the game in OT. That and other games changed my thoughts. But without the whole team playing together, Thompson will have a hard time. Yes their are many excellent players in the state, but 2 have really stood out. We wish ALL teams and players good luck and have fun. Who is your top rated players?

OK I'll take the bait, which DI team (or apparently teams) do you scout for? I've seen Marks play since she was in elementary. Excellent player. Top 2 in the state? No way. And yes, I've scouted college kids (boys though). Hard to believe you are a D1 scout if you know all of her numbers from the whole year (I mean total pts & the time she guarded them? I mean, c'mon), and apparently went to about all of her games. Sounds to be more of a Tommie's scout or a relative than a D1 scout. She is a good one though, 2nd best player on her team after Weber in my opinion. If she has the career "the girl from HCV" had and winds up with scholarship to a DII school she'll have had a great career.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:35 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
gvmearees wrote:I heard a similar story. Ryan had all girls in the city of Minot try out and kept the best ones. That's why Minot High only has 19 girls out for basketball from Soph thru Senior. Minot High was able to keep about 5 key players due to loyalty but most of the good ones are at Ryan.

You guys are just getting ridiculous. I'm sorry, but that is not how athletics work in our state. Even if students transferred between Minot and Bishop Ryan they would have to sit out a full season.

I thought he was being sarcastic.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:43 pm

radball wrote:never press a taller team...

You should go about 20 miles across the river and see how this works for Ada-Borup.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Who? I am fairly sure the Wilkinsons transferred to Shiloh. I am actually fairly close to that situation. Did this change recently? Either way, their father is in complete control of their athletic careers, most likely more than you can imagine. Two Bears also transferred with them to Shiloh, and I am assuming that you are talking about the Wilkinsons, as Gabi and Mia are the point guard and power forward. Also, I really do not think Ryan needs to dramatically improve their roster to win a title, as they have plenty of talent, as shown last season.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:51 pm

radball wrote:anyway, who do you think will win the first game? Bishop or Thompson? At minot. if Thompson DOESN'T press , they will win, huge mistake at state, if tommies make bishop tall people dribble the ball, tommies will win. And Thompson play's as a team. Oh yea, they also have a player that is in the top 2 in the state(n all divisions).And only a sophmore

I will take all of the following players over every non senior at Thompson, and I have had Karleigh Weber play in my program for two years, so I am not biased with the school and am familiar with it.

Fallyn Freije
Hannah Stewart
Sarah Jacobson
Rylee Nudell
Gabi Bohl
Jorydn Jossart
Cassie Askvig
Jaye Two Bears
Tylee Irwin
Amber Burtness

I am in some good circles with the collegiate women's staff in this state and have not had much brought up about a Thompson sophomore as being better than any of the aforementioned players who are juniors or younger.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
radball wrote:this last summer at a tourney tommies played one of the top teams in "a" and beat them pretty good to. I take it you don't scout for D1 schools. We don't look for scorers, we look for defense and the tangibles(anybody can score at some point). She guarded top players in "b" last year and shut them down to less than 6 points each time(when she guarded them, total time). I remind you, our belief the coach held her back most of the season except towards the end. We have the numbers of the people she guarded and that person's season's numbers, numbers don't lie! She is 5-8 now, and can jump even higher than last year(teams are watchin her for vball to,errr) (rebounds ave really stood out at state, remember she is a guard,14 in ONE game). That was as a non starter and freshmen,by the way. After state last year in both divisions, their would be 3 players we would recruit, one we can't till next year. The reason why tommies lost to bishop is simple, never press a taller team, they pass over the top and your running back every time and they score before you can even turn around. You beat tall teams,by making them dribble in a half court game, that leads to TO's .,, side notes,in camps Shaice has played against the best, in a,b, and well like I said before, numbers don't lie. I thought the girl from HCV was one of the best , till that game, when shaice shut Taylor down, and help take over the game in OT. That and other games changed my thoughts. But without the whole team playing together, Thompson will have a hard time. Yes their are many excellent players in the state, but 2 have really stood out. We wish ALL teams and players good luck and have fun. Who is your top rated players?

OK I'll take the bait, which DI team (or apparently teams) do you scout for? I've seen Marks play since she was in elementary. Excellent player. Top 2 in the state? No way. And yes, I've scouted college kids (boys though). Hard to believe you are a D1 scout if you know all of her numbers from the whole year (I mean total pts & the time she guarded them? I mean, c'mon), and apparently went to about all of her games. Sounds to be more of a Tommie's scout or a relative than a D1 scout. She is a good one though, 2nd best player on her team after Weber in my opinion. If she has the career "the girl from HCV" had and winds up with scholarship to a DII school she'll have had a great career.

I know with 100% certainty radball can not scout for any Division 1 school anywhere. Any staff member of any NCAA school is forbidden from publicly commenting on unsigned prospects who are still in high school.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Who would you recruit in these divisions? I know with 100% certainty that both NDSU and UND are recruiting more than 1 junior and more than 1 sophomore. I also know with 100% certainty of offers to at least 4 different girls by the aforementioned schools, including 2 other sophomore guards.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby End90 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:34 pm

So if this alleged Bishop Ryan tryout took place in Minot, who actually changed to Bishop Ryan? From what I can tell, besides graduated seniors, each school has their same girls. Minot High still has their top returning players (Cassie Askvig, Duttenheffer twins, J. Moum, Sophie B.).
End90
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:38 pm

ball45,, just fyi, schools can't recruit sophmores, they can watch them and keep stats. So your 100% certainty falls on def ears. Yes I know they don't say "recruiting" but you said they were. So
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:01 pm

You've got old school winner grammar and spelling.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Girls