2012-13 Region 1 Predictions

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2012-13 Region 1 Predictions

Postby MNTwinsFan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:28 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:In Region 1, Maple Valley is a Class B gem. They are a tiny school that sits right in between two big schools like Valley City and Central Cass, and seem to always come up with something. They pretty much override all the excuses other schools have for not competing. Even during the years that they were really down, the parents were supporting the younger girls to eventually get the program back up. The boys program and their football program isn't much different.

Great point scooby. I also believe that they have a very active Booster Club which does great getting the community and all parents involved.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:57 pm

MNTwinsFan wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:In Region 1, Maple Valley is a Class B gem. They are a tiny school that sits right in between two big schools like Valley City and Central Cass, and seem to always come up with something. They pretty much override all the excuses other schools have for not competing. Even during the years that they were really down, the parents were supporting the younger girls to eventually get the program back up. The boys program and their football program isn't much different.

Great point scooby. I also believe that they have a very active Booster Club which does great getting the community and all parents involved.

There is a lot of tradition and pride associated with that school. Living close to or in Fargo, or having a big school doesn't mean as much as having parents who are willing to encourage their kids by actually doing something. FYI...I believe Maple Valley surprised Kindred at Kindred tonight.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:05 am

Kindred was dominated tonight by Maple Valley 71-52
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:04 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Kindred was dominated tonight by Maple Valley 71-52

It's crazy how good the top 5 teams in D2 are.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:09 am

Flip wrote:How is Breske doing?

anyone want to comment on this? I know there are a few posters from CC that read this forum. I see she's went over 25 2 times this season.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ClassBEast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:00 am

Flip wrote:
Flip wrote:How is Breske doing?

anyone want to comment on this? I know there are a few posters from CC that read this forum. I see she's went over 25 2 times this season.

She's not really "taking over games" like I expected her to. Last night against Enderlin, she took control in the 4th quarter but was pretty quiet in the first three quarters. She was playing point guard part of last night too, so that may have had something to do with it. It's not really in her personality to be the vocal leader of the team, which I think is what CC is missing from years past (Taylor Kraft/Courtney Dixon). Regardless, she is an amazing athlete and I know she will work hard in order to do well at NDSU next year.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby MNTwinsFan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:56 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
MNTwinsFan wrote:

There is a lot of tradition and pride associated with that school. Living close to or in Fargo, or having a big school doesn't mean as much as having parents who are willing to encourage their kids by actually doing something. FYI...I believe Maple Valley surprised Kindred at Kindred tonight.

True, I believe the Raiders have trouble "getting over the hump" so to speak. The Lady Raiders VB program is starting to turn around after being the 8 seed in the District II Tourney for the past 5 years before this year, maybe without even winning a district game. Obviously helps to have some athletes that are buying into the system and putting time in during the offseason as you can see their success in girls athletics lately (won state softball championship last spring). I believe their boys basketball team has never been to the state tournament but the last 4 years, they have lost to the eventual region champions. How is that for always being the groomsman but never the groom (don't know if that saying exists or not). The Lady Raiders were in the state tournament in the mid 90's and haven't been too close with the lone exception being a heartbreaking loss in the regional championship to Kindred in 2005 or 2006...Run4Fun can correct me on that one. With the new football coop, the Falcons have taken their lumps. Quite a few losing season in a row but now they have made the playoffs the last few years, went to the regional semis last year (again, lost a heartbreaker 21-20 after being ahead 20-0), and even won the region this past fall Now, they get to play AA ball. So, as you said, there has been a lot of pride and tradition. They just need to "get over that hump".
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby wolves65 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:41 am

WHy don' they coop in all sports like he coop they have in football. They would be the team to beat in both girls and boys if that were he case. The girls will go as far as Nudell can take them, if she gets in any foul trouble they are done because of a lack of depth. They have other girls that can score but it all starts with her. Will be fun to watch as the season move on. Pride was mentioned as a reason for success, it can also be something that kills a program.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:16 am

wolves65 wrote:WHy don' they coop in all sports like he coop they have in football. They would be the team to beat in both girls and boys if that were he case. The girls will go as far as Nudell can take them, if she gets in any foul trouble they are done because of a lack of depth. They have other girls that can score but it all starts with her. Will be fun to watch as the season move on. Pride was mentioned as a reason for success, it can also be something that kills a program.

I think you are missing my point....Pride and tradition is why they play. It's why they have an active Booster club. They don't just go out because there is a guarantee that they will go to State. All I hear is depth...very few Class B schools have any real depth. Central Cass is a pretty good size school for Class B, they are close to Fargo, and should dominate every year on numbers alone, but they don't. They have an all-stater on their rosters too. Parents support the kids if they think "it will be worth their time" by being on a winning team, but very few parents ask their kids to step up to be the program changer and a program role player. Nudell is a program changer, but the work the supporting players put in is what is making them a serious contender.

As far as coops go, MV was down in numbers for football for a few years, and needed to coop to even compete. They went with Enderlin, and because of the size of Enderlin, they had to jump up to 11-man. I think they only got about 2 players from Enderlin the few years they made a serious run for the Championship. In fastpitch, you are putting 9 on the field instead of 5 or 6, their school isn't big enough.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 14OldSchool » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:52 pm

It is great for class B and Region 1 to see this Maple Valley team having success. Surely they will be a contender for the regional title (maybe a favorite?). I know that they have been building for a few years to get to this level. I've seen some of these kids at the Courts Plus 3 on 3 league in the spring the past two years and the summer league. It's a process to build a team and they seem to have bought into that process.
"You are in the Army. You're in my Army. Everyday between three and five." - Coach Norman Dale
14OldSchool
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 am

Run, care to give mid season rankings?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:11 am

CC appears to be playing really well as of late.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hardball » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:01 am

CC has looked strong the last two games. Dooley has been a factor both offensively and defensively, which has taken some of the scoring load off of Breske. Morgan Titus returned Tuesday night vs. Linton, which will help their backcourt depth. Their schedule remains tough in the next week or so. At Kindred Friday, at Crrokston on Saturday, and Maple Valley at home on the 31st.
Hardball
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Flip wrote:Run, care to give mid season rankings?

Mid-Season Re-Rankings

1. Maple Valley
2. Central Cass
3. Northern Cass
4. Kindred
5. Oak Grove

6. Lisbon
7. North Sargent
8. Oakes
9. Enderlin - recent injury hurts Eagles after great start.
10. Milnor
11. Sargent Central
12. Hankinson

13. Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah
14. Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page
15. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood

16. Richland
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:35 pm

Central Cass 54
Maple Valley 34

I think this proves that "strength of schedule" is a big factor in big games. CC plays tough opponents outside of their region... Carrington, Grafton, Crookston, Thompson, etc. Who does Maple Valley play... yes, Valley City is Class A, but they are not a strong Class A team.

Maple Valley was just out-sized and out-numbered. They have no bench to speak of and looked tired. They are very short overall. MV got two technicals (one on a girl that two-handed pushed another girl out-of-bounds and one on the bench - Coach Nudell) and one girl undercut Faith Dooley twice in a row and was lucky she was only called with a regular foul instead of a technical. They were obviously frustrated and played like it.

And the question, who is better right now - Breske or Nudell? BRESKE. No doubt.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby MNTwinsFan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 pm

ClassBEast wrote:Central Cass 54
Maple Valley 34

I think this proves that "strength of schedule" is a big factor in big games. CC plays tough opponents outside of their region... Carrington, Grafton, Crookston, Thompson, etc. Who does Maple Valley play... yes, Valley City is Class A, but they are not a strong Class A team.

Maple Valley was just out-sized and out-numbered. They have no bench to speak of and looked tired. They are very short overall. MV got two technicals (one on a girl that two-handed pushed another girl out-of-bounds and one on the bench - Coach Nudell) and one girl undercut Faith Dooley twice in a row and was lucky she was only called with a regular foul instead of a technical. They were obviously frustrated and played like it.

Anyone who isn't a central cass fan (and was at the game) care to chime in with their two cents? I'd like an unbiased opinion.

Were both technical warranted? Were they retaliation for something?
Also, didn't MV play Shiloh Christian?
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby MNTwinsFan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:17 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:Run, care to give mid season rankings?

Mid-Season Re-Rankings

1. Maple Valley
2. Central Cass
3. Northern Cass
4. Kindred
5. Oak Grove

6. Lisbon
7. North Sargent
8. Oakes
9. Enderlin - recent injury hurts Eagles after great start.
10. Milnor
11. Sargent Central
12. Hankinson

13. Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah
14. Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page
15. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood

16. Richland

Kindred destroyed Northern Cass. Does Northern Cass have a couple girls hurt? Season-ending? or just out for a bit? Hate to see girls go down that are playing so well together.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:21 pm

MNTwinsFan wrote:
Maple Valley 34

Anyone who isn't a central cass fan (and was at the game) care to chime in with their two cents? I'd like an unbiased opinion.

Yes MV did play Shiloh...but when looking at both teams' non-district schedules. Central Cass has the tougher schedule as they play more quality teams: Thompson, Crookston (MN), Carrington, Linton-HMB, Grafton (an upcoming game); Maple Valley has played Shiloh Christian & Valley City (twice).

I don't know anything from the game tonight as I was at another district matchup.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby MNTwinsFan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
MNTwinsFan wrote:
Maple Valley 34

Yes MV did play Shiloh...but when looking at both teams' non-district schedules. Central Cass has the tougher schedule as they play more quality teams: Thompson, Crookston (MN), Carrington, Linton-HMB, Grafton (an upcoming game); Maple Valley has played Shiloh Christian & Valley City (twice).

I don't know anything from the game tonight as I was at another district matchup.

Oak Grove? :D
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hardball » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:46 pm

Northern Cass is down two starters with injuries, Whitney Ward (knee) and Lexi Zieske (foot). Ward is done for the year, Zieske should return at some point but it's uncertain when that will be.
Hardball
NDPreps Starter

Postby MNTwinsFan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:49 pm

Hardball wrote:Northern Cass is down two starters with injuries, Whitney Ward (knee) and Lexi Zieske (foot). Ward is done for the year, Zieske should return at some point but it's uncertain when that will be.

Thanks for the update. Are they both seniors?
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hardball » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:51 pm

MNTwinsFan wrote:
Hardball wrote:Northern Cass is down two starters with injuries, Whitney Ward (knee) and Lexi Zieske (foot). Ward is done for the year, Zieske should return at some point but it's uncertain when that will be.

Yes. Ward tore her ACL late last season, now she injured the other knee. Tough break and a huge loss for NC.
Hardball
NDPreps Starter

Postby MNTwinsFan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:53 pm

Hardball wrote:
MNTwinsFan wrote:

Yes. Ward tore her ACL late last season, now she injured the other knee. Tough break and a huge loss for NC.

Oh no...I'd never want to wish a career ending injury on ones worst enemy. Best wishes to her on a full recovery after high school.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:57 pm

MNTwinsFan wrote:Oak Grove? :D

yep that's where I usually am on District matchup nights...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ClassBEast » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 am

MNTwinsFan wrote:
Maple Valley 34

You think I'm biased? :lol: I actually like Maple Valley. If CC doesn't go to state for Region 1, I would want it to be MV just because they have not had GBB success in a long time and they would be so thrilled to go.

They were frustration technicals. Two MV girls and Kirby Camas were going for a ball that was going out-of-bounds. Pautz gave Camas a 2-handed shove right in front of the ref. The bench technical was what it is usually for... the coach didn't like a call and got upset with the ref.

And to see a 6'3" girl get undercut twice within 30 seconds... not good. Somebody could get hurt that way.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Girls