All-State 2011-12

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

All-State 2011-12

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:30 pm

First Team (tie between two players leads to 6 First-Teamers instead of 5)
Spanky Clayton (Washburn)
Olivia Johnson (Richland)
Kayln Schneider (Linton-HMB)
Ashley Bentz (Grant County)
Taylor Henningsgard (Central Valley)
Fallyn Freije (Lakota-Adams-Edmore)

Second Team
Hannah Breske (Central Cass)
Kelcee Dykins (Beach)
Sheridon Dewald (Napleon)
Hailee Farstveet (Beach)
McKayla Haugeberg (Watford City)
Kennedy Henningsgard (Central Valley)
Brandy Messner (Dakota Prairie)
Hannah Stewart (Bishop Ryan)
Emily Thompson (Carrington)
Emily Wolf (New Salem-Almont)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: All-State 2011-12

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:59 am

Is it just me or is there someone obviously missing from this list?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:03 am

The Schwab wrote:Is it just me or is there someone obviously missing from this list?

I think Sierra Rosenau from Carrington should for sure be on it. Who you thinking bout Schwabby?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:06 am

That's what I was thinking, senior of the year and not on the list? Surprise
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby PR23 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:13 am

Yes - very obvious - Senior Athlete of the Year didn't make it and no player from Grafton???
Nothing against any of the selections listed, they are all good players.
PR23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:16 am

Im ok with nobody from Grafton you can defintely argue for Brooke Gaustad on the second team, but those girls were a great team not individually led. Kinda like Buelah this year, no boys on the All-State team. I doubt any of them care either.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:35 am

The Schwab wrote:That's what I was thinking, senior of the year and not on the list? Surprise

Yeah, I'm also surprised a freshman made the first team. She's a great player and will have a great career, but they usually hold off putting that young of a player on there, especially as a first teamer. If LAE doesn't make state, I bet she wouldn't have even made the 2nd team. But leading your team to state and putting up the numbers she did on the big stage definitely got her some exposure.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby #10 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:37 am

The Schwab wrote:That's what I was thinking, senior of the year and not on the list? Surprise

What are Rosenau's stats compared to those who made it?
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PR23 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am

#10 wrote:

Can I ask a serious question - is this all about stats???? Or, should they vote for the BEST Players. The best players don't always put up huge numbers. (I don't think I need to clarify)

And I agree with Packers 21 - I doubt any of the players left off care -
PR23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:25 am

ibhun10 wrote:
#10 wrote:

Can I ask a serious question - is this all about stats???? Or, should they vote for the BEST Players. The best players don't always put up huge numbers. (I don't think I need to clarify)

What packers was saying was he doubts if any players from the state championship teams care about not being on all state, meaning they would rather have the state title. I can't believe that Rosenau is not on this list.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby #10 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:34 am

ibhun10 wrote:
#10 wrote:

No argument from me, about the BEST players not always putting up the huge numbers. But this is for this season, and all the sports writers have to go on is stats. So if the athlete's team did not make it to state, how are the sportswriters able to make comparisons another way.
NDPreps Reserve

Postby #10 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:37 am

#10 wrote:
ibhun10 wrote:
#10 wrote:

No argument from me, about the BEST players not always putting up the huge numbers. But this is for this season, and all the sports writers have to go on is stats. So if the athlete's team did not make it to state, how are the sportswriters able to make comparisons another way.

Also, coaches are the ones who recommend their players for this recognition. And if the coach recommends two or three athletes on his team. The sportswriters have to go with stats.
NDPreps Reserve

Postby coolhandluke » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:58 am

Stats, all-state, etc. How embarrassing for us to say who should be on there, and like always miss the few obvious ones that are not. The players and many coaches all know who the best are, not the voters for sure. We should take stats - which determine not only all-state etc. all the time, but also determine who gets looks from colleges at times - and throw them out the window. Where would the entire Grafton starting lineup be if it was about stats, definitely not sharing scoring duties and definitely not hoisting the state b championship trophy. One last thing though, the players do care somewhat, especially if it's their senior year, and in essence their last chance to be noticed. Congratulations though to those that made it, I just don't like some awards based mainly on stats.
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm also quite sure that none of Grafton's players would trade a state championship trophy for any individual honor.

But, there are always things to consider. I think you can make the arguement for a player such as Gaustad from Grafton to be on the second team. She probably only averaged 20 minutes per game, because Grafton was so dominant in district play. Also, she was on such a balanced team in both scoring and rebounding.

But, I suppose that offsetting that, you can say she had the opportunity to score more because her teammates drew away some defense.

I'm sure a lot of girls from various teams around the state are in the same boat.

Bottom line, All-State is subjective. Congrats to all who made it.... a well deserved honor. But, for all the girls who are on it, there a just as many who could have been.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby coach » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:24 pm

packers21 wrote:Im ok with nobody from Grafton you can defintely argue for Brooke Gaustad on the second team, but those girls were a great team not individually led. Kinda like Buelah this year, no boys on the All-State team. I doubt any of them care either.

There are some players that would definitely met qualifications for being considered "All - State" but I'd be willing to guess the players don't care about the individual award as much as they do with their team Championship.

The players that are on that list, are without question some of the best players in the state. So not taking anything away from that. The team could have been a bigger roster and the additional players would also been deserving of the award too. There was a big numbers of quality players across the state this year

For the players that are left off across the state - I'm guessing their mothers or fathers might be more disappointed than their daughters?
Last edited by coach on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PR23 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Actually - some very great comments and if you think about, we are all right (or wrong depending on how you look at it) - it's an honor for these girls and congrats to all of them. They all had great seasons no matter how you look at it.
PR23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wolves65 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:05 pm

the hardest part about reading girls basketball is there is a much bigger talent gap from the top teams to the bottoms compared to the boys B and A squads. You have alot of girls playing on good teams that get maybe 2 quarters so they don't have the stats and they get penalized for that fact. Also no girls team deserves 2 girls on this roster. Pick one and move on because if a girls team has two all-staters in class B they should dominate and neither beach or Central Valley could be considered dominate teams. That is just lazy media work. Your MVP and Senior Player of the year don't make it is a bit of a head scratcher. You can't say anything about any the kids on any of these teams because they had nothing to do with the process.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wolves65 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:55 pm

In know how the voting goes, if the media was watching the games they might have a clue who is good and who padding the stats playing against bad teams. Thompson is as good or better than any guard on that team but she doesn't have the stats. The girl from Lakota doesn't make the team if they aren't in the state tournament and she ends up on the first team. She deserves it but nobody had heard anything about her or even considered LAE and contending team.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby VOTCC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:17 pm

I will say this much, Fallyn Freije is a good player, but head to head versus Emily Thompson this year, it wasn't a comparison, Thompson dominated her twice. Carrington players didn't have point stats because they play on a team loaded with scorers. Leading scorer this year was Becca Scherr. Not trying to take away from any kid who made these teams, but if you play on an average or bad team & have big stats doesn't mean your an all-state player. Unfortunately, the people who vote or decide don't see hardly any of these kids play, & that's sad they get to vote on these awards. Rosenau led Cgtn. in rebounding & assists just about every game to go along with a 12ppg. ave. Scherr led Cgtn with 14 ppg & also led the team in steals most nights & if it wasn't her it was Rosenau. Thompson should have been 1st team, Rosenau definitely belongs & Scherr is right there. JMO, some with say sour grapes, so be it, but I've watched way more kids than any voter did.
VOTCC
NDPreps Starter

Postby VOTCC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:27 pm

Just to clarify a bit, Fallyn scored 38 points in 2 games against Cgtn. 26 of the 38 points scored were in the 2nd half of games that Cgtn. was leading by 20-25+ points. Fallyn is a good player, definitely deserving of 2nd team & has a great future, just don't think she should have been 1st team in front of Thompson.
VOTCC
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:08 pm

wolves65 wrote:the hardest part about reading girls basketball is there is a much bigger talent gap from the top teams to the bottoms compared to the boys B and A squads. You have alot of girls playing on good teams that get maybe 2 quarters so they don't have the stats and they get penalized for that fact. Also no girls team deserves 2 girls on this roster. Pick one and move on because if a girls team has two all-staters in class B they should dominate and neither beach or Central Valley could be considered dominate teams. That is just lazy media work. Your MVP and Senior Player of the year don't make it is a bit of a head scratcher. You can't say anything about any the kids on any of these teams because they had nothing to do with the process.

How many times did u see CV play?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:15 pm

VOTCC wrote:I will say this much, Fallyn Freije is a good player, but head to head versus Emily Thompson this year, it wasn't a comparison, Thompson dominated her twice. Carrington players didn't have point stats because they play on a team loaded with scorers. Leading scorer this year was Becca Scherr. Not trying to take away from any kid who made these teams, but if you play on an average or bad team & have big stats doesn't mean your an all-state player. Unfortunately, the people who vote or decide don't see hardly any of these kids play, & that's sad they get to vote on these awards. Rosenau led Cgtn. in rebounding & assists just about every game to go along with a 12ppg. ave. Scherr led Cgtn with 14 ppg & also led the team in steals most nights & if it wasn't her it was Rosenau. Thompson should have been 1st team, Rosenau definitely belongs & Scherr is right there. JMO, some with say sour grapes, so be it, but I've watched way more kids than any voter did.

1)who from the girls who made it and you've seen play would you remove and replace with rosenau and scherr?
2)with carrington apparently deserving 3 Allstate players how did they not make the state tournament?
3)in my opinion freije was as good as any player in the state tournament.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby wolves65 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Wallenda- saw them play 2 of the games they lost so that was enough. Would take grafton ahead in a heartbeat. There ok bit both all state, not this year. How many did you see.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:22 am

The coaches vote on senior athlete of the year. The media votes on all-state.

I love how the coaches can never make a mistake. Why was the third leading scorer on Carrington (who's not a point guard) the Class B senior athlete of the year?

I also love how the media is supposed to take into account how the coaches vote, as if the coaches would ever take into account how the media votes. JMO

Also, Fallyn Freije exploded on the state's biggest stage and gave the state champions their toughest game at state. I wouldn't say she's undeserving.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:51 am

wolves65 wrote:Wallenda- saw them play 2 of the games they lost so that was enough. Would take grafton ahead in a heartbeat. There ok bit both all state, not this year. How many did you see.

Apparently u saw them the two times they played Grafton. No doubt Grafton was the better team I've thought that all along. I saw CV play way more than twice though. I wouldn't take anyone from Grafton over the older Henningsgard and the only one I may take over the younger one was the pt guard Thompson. Also saw Grafton play multiple times. Hard to judge players on two games. To say both Cv girls aren't deserving is wrong. Are there girls that didn't make it that are also deserving? Of course. There is every year.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Girls