Enrollment Numbers

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Enrollment Numbers

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:27 am

HammerTime wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
scruffy wrote:Financially it's hard to justify keeping a high school with fewer then 80 students open.

I bet that number is about 50% of the high schools in ND. Pretty difficult to say it's hard to justify when half are making it work.

I don't really know if they are, though. At some point, you also have to consider whether or not the school is "hurting" the student as well. When the cost of education is soaring, but the quality and opportunities available are as poor as they are in the small schools across the state, you have a problem. It's not really working.

I grew up and graduated from a high school with 70 kids. High school hasn't had any more than that since the 70s. Currently has about 45 students. I had every opportunity any other kid in a larger school did if I really wanted it. The kids in high school there now have even more opportunities than I did 20 years ago. I honestly believe that I wouldn't be as successful as I am now if I went to a larger school.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:37 am

scruffy wrote:Financially it's hard to justify keeping a high school with fewer then 80 students open. The cost per pupil soars and at some point the best interest of the tax payer will have to be taken into account. That's one reason why the state took on a larger role in funding education a few years ago. It will easier for someone from the outside to come in and close a school rather then let it become an emotional home town decision.

So what is your solution to this supposed problem? Do we build a school in the middle of the county and bus kids an hour and a half or two hours each morning and then do it again in the afternoon? Do we build dormitories for these schools and house the kids during the week? Or do we just shut down the schools and tell everyone to move to a larger town? So we close or consolidate all of these little schools and we end up with 50 - 70 larger schools and everything is great? The local school boards always have the option of consolidating with another school, closing down their school, tuitioning out their students to another school, etc.... Apparently this isn't happening so they (the "small schools") must not see it as a major problem.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:04 pm

The times have changed just because its small school doesn't mean class opportunities are not there these small schools a lot have taken to technology where students are getting classes on line and a lot are doing college classes. My children have gone to small school like your saying but when they entered college they were not behind if anything they were ahead of lot of students. One my children started college as sophomore having gained that many college credits. My other child will begin college with almost all their generals completed. They also were able to take classes in interests they were planning on furthering there education in college.
To you from larger schools or communities its not all about costs its about having still some quality of life where they choose to live and make a living. We choose not to have kids on buses for hour half or driving 30 or 40 minutes to school and paying the costs to do this. This does not include all extra trips we as parents have to make for various reasons for school functions. Also it costs us more for most things here and never mind the cost to just go bigger city to find things that are not available. But back to our schools we want children not have 10 to 12% of their time spent traveling to and from school. When you get big enough school in the rural areas where costs come down at the school it doesn't mean that it costs us any less its just put cost on us as individuals. I could reverse this argument against bigger cities and schools and see how you would respond. Instead of building new schools and adding staff to run these new schools you look at surrounding schools in rural areas that could handle more students without adding staff or building you could bus kids 1hour and half out from these bigger cities and the cost would be held in check for all of the state. Tell me reaction you would have from parents and communities if they were told to do this. Its basically same argument of keeping costs down and without adding further fix costs of adding buildings and administration costs in educating our children. My guess I could here all sorts of arguments here but what it comes down to people choose what they feel is best for children and if they can continue pay for it.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:39 pm

Hey B-oldtimer, I like your idea of busing kids from the big cities out to the smaller schools, unfortunately what would happen is the big schools would send out their special needs kids, their troublemakers and their below average students, they would make darn sure they kept their athletes and their honor students! I love it when people talk about the cost of education and they don't mention where the real cost is located - administration. If you compare teacher's salaries to administration salaries you see where the cost is very quickly. We small schools operate with a Supt., HS Principal and an Elementary Principal and one of them are usually the AD as well. Then I look at the big schools with all of their administration (how many Vice Principals???) and wonder about the cost of education. I don't begrudge administrators their salaries, but they never get talked about in the discussions of the costs of education, just teacher salaries, we need to look at the whole picture.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:34 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:https://www.nd.gov/dpi/uploads/1213/FallEnrollmentSchoolByGrade.pdf

Here is the enrollment by grade from the DPI. Much more accurate. I will try to put it in an excel file and add up the high school enrollments later today.

anyone have the link for this school year?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:17 pm

I was looking at the high school enrollment numbers for Region 3, and I found an article where the enrollments were listed for the Emmons County schools at the beginning of 2016-17 year. According to that article, Strasburg (48) and Zeeland (6) have 54 students in grades 9-12 (13.5 pc), and Linton (81) and HMB (31) have 112 (28.0 pc) in grades 9-12. I don’t know if that was meant to be grades 7-12, but thought I would clear that up.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:55 am

Flip wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:https://www.nd.gov/dpi/uploads/1213/FallEnrollmentSchoolByGrade.pdf

Here is the enrollment by grade from the DPI. Much more accurate. I will try to put it in an excel file and add up the high school enrollments later today.

So I found this https://www.nd.gov/dpi/uploads/1213/201 ... School.pdf for this school year.
Strasburg is listed at 41 and Linton 78.

When does WC move up to A? Had no idea they were so big.
Will VC drop to B? It looked to me like they would stay in 325 range for the next few years.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Flip wrote:
Flip wrote:

So I found this https://www.nd.gov/dpi/uploads/1213/201 ... School.pdf for this school year.
Strasburg is listed at 41 and Linton 78.

When does WC move up to A? Had no idea they were so big.
Will VC drop to B? It looked to me like they would stay in 325 range for the next few years.

The last I remember hearing, Watford City is moving to class A next year. That is why they've played some games against class A schools this year.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby triplebbb » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:26 am

If Watford City's enrollment in grades 9-12 exceeds 325 next September (around the 10th) the following season they would be Class A. Next season is still Class B. Were above the number a couple years ago but then dropped below the next year. Have to be above the number 2 consecutive years then go up. Then have be under the number 2 consecutive years to go back down?
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Boys