Page 2 of 3

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:56 pm
by 3499
I figured out the mistake. 1974 the runner up is listed as Minot, but it was the minto rockets and dean Dvorak that fell to fast Eddie and Hillsboro

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:34 pm
by Run4Fun2009
simple typo ;) its fixed

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:52 am
by 5-time state chump
T$$ wrote: I have heard North Star will be added to the list this year.n. Does anyone have details.



The only details I have, are that if you can't win your own region, you can't win state.

Same rules from 2010-11 apply in 2012-13.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:18 am
by ndpreps09
5-time state chump wrote:
T$$ wrote: I have heard North Star will be added to the list this year.n. Does anyone have details.



The only details I have, are that if you can't win your own region, you can't win state.

Same rules from 2010-11 apply in 2012-13.



That was posted over 2 years ago.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:51 am
by ndcharlie37
Hi, I noticed that you still have Minot Model placing 1st & 7th in the 1952 state "B" tourney.
Also you have Bowden in the "C" tourney in 51, 52, & 53(wrong spelling of BOWDON), you have
it spelled correctly for their 1945 appearance.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:03 am
by ndcharlie37
My basketball remarks usually go "way back". How many of you folks out there think that even in
today's ND Basketball that there are some "B" teams that could beat some "A" teams ? I really think
that way back in"52" Class "C" champ Butte & Runner-up Bowdon could've beaten lots of "B" teams.
I also believe that "53" Minot Model & runner-up Garrison could've tore up many of the "A' schools.
Is there anyone out there old enough to agree with me, or make a comment ?

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:14 am
by Run4Fun2009
ndcharlie37 wrote:Hi, I noticed that you still have Minot Model placing 1st & 7th in the 1952 state "B" tourney.
Also you have Bowden in the "C" tourney in 51, 52, & 53(wrong spelling of BOWDON), you have
it spelled correctly for their 1945 appearance.


spelling is fixed...

not sure what you mean about the 1952 listing:
1952: Minot Model, Rugby, Lisbon, Kenmare, Beach, Beulah, Bottineau, Hankinson

I only see Minot Model ONCE.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:53 pm
by Hinsa
ndcharlie37 wrote:My basketball remarks usually go "way back". How many of you folks out there think that even in
today's ND Basketball that there are some "B" teams that could beat some "A" teams ? I really think
that way back in"52" Class "C" champ Butte & Runner-up Bowdon could've beaten lots of "B" teams.
I also believe that "53" Minot Model & runner-up Garrison could've tore up many of the "A' schools.
Is there anyone out there old enough to agree with me, or make a comment ?

In Mr. Wizard's "way back" machine, there probably was a greater likelihood that Cs could beat Bs and Bs could beat As because it was a different game where athleticism was not as critical to being a great team. Plus there were so many more C and B schools in those days that the sheer volume of teams means more chances to have a team that could give a challenge to the class above them.

As for today, to have an upper echelon B that could challenge an upper echelon A is rare. Maybe, MAYBE once a decade you get a B that has the athleticism, bench, and shooting ability to compete with an A. Could the best Bs pick off the lower end As? Quite probably. But a B competing night in and night out with the As and challenging for a championship? Rare indeed.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:59 pm
by ND resident
The information on past state champs listing participants for the 1960 and 1964 Class B tourneys is incorrect. They show Forman as a participant when it should have been Sargent Central. They finished fourth in both tournaments. Sargent Central was formed in the fall of 1959 with the consolidation of Forman, Cogswell, Cayuga, and Brampton.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:18 pm
by ND resident
Thanks for the quick update on the info!

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:25 am
by woodchuck10
Class B 1968 - Wolford is on there twice

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:53 pm
by Run4Fun2009
Impressive looking back at the 2002 State Tourney and seeing that the Berthold Bombers were 7-12 going into the District Tourney...entered State at 14-12 and preceded to make it to the State Championship game where they lost to May-Port-CG 35-33. I would venture to guess that 16-13 would be one of the lowest (if not the lowest) win totals for a team in the State Championship game.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:40 pm
by yellowjacket
Berthold had arguably one of the best players in the state that year in Adam Grant. He missed all or almost all of the season that year and returned just before districts started. If he had played the entire season they could have won 20- some games and he would have been a 1st team allstater.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:32 pm
by ndlionsfan
Didn't Minot Ryan do that one year too? I think I remember them coming into state around .500 and they ended up in the championship game. Must have been early 2000s

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:38 pm
by Run4Fun2009
ndlionsfan wrote:Didn't Minot Ryan do that one year too? I think I remember them coming into state around .500 and they ended up in the championship game. Must have been early 2000s


was it 1999 when they ended the year in 3rd place...because I thought in 2000 they were pretty decent (record-wise) when they faced OG in the State Title

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:23 pm
by yellowjacket
'99 they had a solid record and solid five with size in Lund and Pankratz, Essler and Lundeen on the perimitter, and another solid guard. 2000 they had essler and lundeen, I think they were the 4 seed in the region, Fridley was the coach.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:24 pm
by Run4Fun2009
yellowjacket wrote:'99 they had a solid record and solid five with size in Lund and Pankratz, Essler and Lundeen on the perimitter, and another solid guard. 2000 they had essler and lundeen, I think they were the 4 seed in the region, Fridley was the coach.


Hmm...well in 2000 they pulled off the big upset against L-M-M in the first round and continued that all the way to the Title Game

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:36 pm
by yellowjacket
ndlionsfan is right. In 2000 they got hot at the right time. 1999 they were the favorites in the region.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:18 am
by ndcharlie37
This may sound like a stupid question, but could somebody clear something up for me. The Consolidated League ran from 1922 to 1950 right ? Then class "C" came along in 1948 and ran through 1963. Did The consolidated league and class "C" both exist during the years 1948 through 1950 ? Prior to 1922 did any of the small schools have any classification ? In 1921, for example, before the consolidated league, my former school had only eight players, but they managed to have a 25-1 record and took 1st the county tournament against larger schools.
Another thing to reflect on. I would guess that many of the folks that read these remarks came from small, rural schools. QUESTION: Did it seem like someone was in a hurry to shut down the small "C" schools? I did some research and I noticed that my old HS had 41 students when I graduated in "55" and when the school shut down for good in "72" there were 47 HS students, (an actual increase). I looked back to 1945 and the HS only had 14 students total, and yet I doubt that anyone on the local school board at the time considered closing the school. Can any of you out there relate to this ? ?

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:16 am
by Flip
Zeeland had five seniors in the class of '14.
http://www.zeeland.k12.nd.us/students/9 ... f2014.html

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:55 am
by ndlionsfan
there must have been some type of thinking in the legislature during the 70s to start consolidating some smaller schools. kind of crazy your school was maybe the largest it had even been when closed, unless the younger grades were all real small

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:15 am
by ticket0115
Berthold had two starters serve 6 week suspensions , both came back a few games before districts. Adam grant was a force 6'7, for sure all state, had he played. The other one was Denver Deaver? If they had their full squad for this year 20+ wins seems certain.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:06 pm
by winner-within
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Impressive looking back at the 2002 State Tourney and seeing that the Berthold Bombers were 7-12 going into the District Tourney...entered State at 14-12 and preceded to make it to the State Championship game where they lost to May-Port-CG 35-33. I would venture to guess that 16-13 would be one of the lowest (if not the lowest) win totals for a team in the State Championship game.


One of my favorite State tourneys (and there been some dandy's) Grant was an Animal
what ever happened to the Kid.... College??

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:23 pm
by CC1983
winner-within wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Impressive looking back at the 2002 State Tourney and seeing that the Berthold Bombers were 7-12 going into the District Tourney...entered State at 14-12 and preceded to make it to the State Championship game where they lost to May-Port-CG 35-33. I would venture to guess that 16-13 would be one of the lowest (if not the lowest) win totals for a team in the State Championship game.


One of my favorite State tourneys (and there been some dandy's) Grant was an Animal
what ever happened to the Kid.... College??

Went to play at Northern State in Aberdeen.

Re: Past State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:02 am
by ndcharlie37
Just curious, does anyone know who took 7th place in 1952? It wasn't Minot Model. Is there anyone that actually makes corrections regarding these posts?