Top Myths From Class "B" Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Top Myths From Class "B" Basketball

Postby Indy5 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:22 pm

Thats also top 10 out of 18. This is top 10 out of 120. I'm not disrespecting class A at all. I know that the top 14 teams could probably beat or at least play with every top ten team in class B. All I'm saying is every year, there are some very good teams sitting at home watching state in class B. I know this is the case for a couple good class A teams too but every region usually has 3 maybe 4 good teams with only one going. Class A each region has probably 6 good teams with 4 going. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Instead of arguing A and B, it should almost be regions that are argued individually. Because depending on which region you reside in, A or B, your chances can rise or fall dramatically.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby steve34 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:33 pm

This whole argument about A vs. B is pointless, because every good B team in the state makes State B. If they are truly good, they will win two games in their district tournament and advance. Comparing A to B is like comparing apples to oranges.

B has 64 teams that advance to state, all with a chance to play loser-out basketball to the state title. No one ranked in the top 10 is left home unless they experience disaster in their district. It doesn't matter when Oak Grove meets Central Cass this year, or when North Star meets Carrington. If the play in what you call the "regionals", and one eliminates the other, they both made the loser-out competition set to determine the state champion. They both made the state tournament. One just advance a round further.

A's conference tourneys are B's districts. If you're going to compare A and B, you have to do it at the right level. Sure, its tougher for B teams to make the Elite 8, but that's not the point. If you're one of the 64 left after districts, you made the state tournament.
steve34
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:43 pm

steve34 wrote:This whole argument about A vs. B is pointless, because every good B team in the state makes State B. If they are truly good, they will win two games in their district tournament and advance. Comparing A to B is like comparing apples to oranges.

B has 64 teams that advance to state, all with a chance to play loser-out basketball to the state title. No one ranked in the top 10 is left home unless they experience disaster in their district. It doesn't matter when Oak Grove meets Central Cass this year, or when North Star meets Carrington. If the play in what you call the "regionals", and one eliminates the other, they both made the loser-out competition set to determine the state champion. They both made the state tournament. One just advance a round further.

A's conference tourneys are B's districts. If you're going to compare A and B, you have to do it at the right level. Sure, its tougher for B teams to make the Elite 8, but that's not the point. If you're one of the 64 left after districts, you made the state tournament.

what is wrong with u!!!! makining regionals doesnt mean anything!! regionals is not state. u should really get out more. cuz u know nothing about class b basketball!!!!
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jordanpippen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Bottom line: Class B is not as talented as class A. Also, if your down with a few minutes left and the other team can shoot freethrows, game over mine as well just call it. GET A SHOT CLOCK!! (or forget about the possibility of a comeback) I know there have been comebacks in class B but if the coach is smart he would just hold it for the final quarter if hes ahead. Why would you shoot it?
jordanpippen
NDPreps Reserve

Postby steve34 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:58 pm

I have been around the game a lot longer than you have, son. I know plenty. The bracket is posted for in this thread for this year's state tournament. It is a 64 team, single-elimination tournament that begins following the districts.

Please reference the bracket, then try again later.
steve34
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Steve, don't even answer this if you are going to give me the same reason you have given for every other question someone has asked you, but why must you continuously say that regionlas is a prat of state? I know there are no additional seedings once you get to state. You play the champ from whichever region you are paired up with. But come on man, this is getting really annoying with you insisting that state is a 64 team tournament. State tournament is the state tournament. Regionals are not state.

I'll give you an example. Do you follow DAC football at all? By your logic, once you start conference play, you start the NAIA national tournament because in the DAC you pretty much have to go undefeated to win the conference. Also there usually are not 2 teams that make the playoffs. This year was an exception with Minot and Dickinson both getting in.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballuvr » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:18 pm

jordanpippen wrote:Bottom line: Class B is not as talented as class A. Also, if your down with a few minutes left and the other team can shoot freethrows, game over mine as well just call it. GET A SHOT CLOCK!! (or forget about the possibility of a comeback) I know there have been comebacks in class B but if the coach is smart he would just hold it for the final quarter if hes ahead. Why would you shoot it?

You and Steve 34 must be completely nuts or something. Where does "the bottom line is Class B is not as talented as Class A " come from? Do you think you've discovered something new here? Your comment doesn't fit here. Of course that is true. 1 in 1000 would argue, and they'd be nuts too.
Steve 34 had gotten so bored, he thought he'd try to come up with some ridiclulous stuff about B. I've been guilty of adding to the post total he's generated. I've also more than likely been around longer than you Steve. You discredit the B for what it is. It seems you actually discredit players. I hope not.
Judging from earlier posts from months back, it seems the Linton thing has put you over the edge. Give it up and move on. In no way do I want to disrespect you, but you really need to move on from what I perceive as bitterness.
If this "64 team" thing is posted on the NDHSAA site, so what. I hope you do not revere everything there as the "way it should be". They are the governing body, but have some very questionable actions and reasonings lately.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stromer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:59 pm

steve34 wrote:This whole argument about A vs. B is pointless, because every good B team in the state makes State B. If they are truly good, they will win two games in their district tournament and advance. Comparing A to B is like comparing apples to oranges.

Ok I'll play ball. I can see why you would include the regionals in your state tournament. I won't argue that. However, making what you call the state tournament holds no special place for most people. Your playing teams you have already played in the year. You can call it whatever you want, but only the Elite 8 is special. Thats due to tv coverage, playing teams from different areas of the state, playing in a central location at a top notch facility, staying in hotels, etc. So the Elite 8 has to be the reference to which all comparisons are made. And the fact of the matter is the Elite 8 is much harder to make from class B than from class A, even if some regions are top heavy.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Here is the thing I don't like about saying that it is harder in Class A or Class B. I don't play Class B, so I don't know, but it is incredibly hard to win 2 games at the WDA tournament. Class B people do not realize how difficult that is.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Stromer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:55 pm

balla45 wrote:Here is the thing I don't like about saying that it is harder in Class A or Class B. I don't play Class B, so I don't know, but it is incredibly hard to win 2 games at the WDA tournament. Class B people do not realize how difficult that is.

I probably should have phrased that better. I'm going by percentages of teams making the Elite 8. I'm in no way qualified to judge competition level. But if a team doesn't win 2 games at WDA one year, chances are they will the next year. That doesn't happen at Class B as often. You have to make the most when your opportunities come up.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby steve34 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:02 pm

Knowing both games, when it comes to calibre to teams, I would say it's as difficult to make the Sweet 16 of the state B tournament as it is to get to the state A tournament. As far as I'm concerned, that's not enough to maintain the aura of being "special". It certainly isn't enough to cling to as the reason to prevent any change to the current system. A three-division system would not kill the small class.
steve34
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:05 pm

jordanpippen wrote:Bottom line: Class B is not as talented as class A. Also, if your down with a few minutes left and the other team can shoot freethrows, game over mine as well just call it. GET A SHOT CLOCK!! (or forget about the possibility of a comeback) I know there have been comebacks in class B but if the coach is smart he would just hold it for the final quarter if hes ahead. Why would you shoot it?

no they dont need a shotclock. and u better have some outstanding ballhandlers if u think its that easy to hold the ball that long.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:09 pm

steve34 wrote:I have been around the game a lot longer than you have, son. I know plenty. The bracket is posted for in this thread for this year's state tournament. It is a 64 team, single-elimination tournament that begins following the districts.

Please reference the bracket, then try again later.

just cuz your old doesnt mean that u know much about basketball. the game is always changing and obviously u have fell behind.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby LarryBirdFan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:30 pm

I got one for you Steve...so your saying that Class B's "64 team state tourney" (which is rediculous) is easier to make it into than Class A's State. I think that it is a heck of a lot harder to make it to the Championship in Class B than in Class A. I will let you do that math on that one, but I think if you are in Class B, then you will have one heck of a lower percent chance of winning the ship than in class A....And the reason that this is relevant is because winning the Ship is the ultimate goal right? So therefor, in class "B", you have to win 6 games in a row to be the champion, where as compared to Class A, you only have to win three in a row. Which one sounds easier to you?
LarryBirdFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:31 pm

LarryBirdFan wrote:I got one for you Steve...so your saying that Class B's "64 team state tourney" (which is rediculous) is easier to make it into than Class A's State. I think that it is a heck of a lot harder to make it to the Championship in Class B than in Class A. I will let you do that math on that one, but I think if you are in Class B, then you will have one heck of a lower percent chance of winning the ship than in class A....And the reason that this is relevant is because winning the Ship is the ultimate goal right? So therefor, in class "B", you have to win 6 games in a row to be the champion, where as compared to Class A, you only have to win three in a row. Which one sounds easier to you?

very nice!!!
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Wow, Steve got over 100 replies to his preposterous argument that the State B tournament has 64 teams. He even got a couple suckers to buy in.

On the next thread, he will try to prove that the earth is flat.
The sad thing is, he will probably get a couple suckers in the Red River Valley to buy that, too!
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:23 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:Wow, Steve got over 100 replies to his preposterous argument that the State B tournament has 64 teams. He even got a couple suckers to buy in.

On the next thread, he will try to prove that the earth is flat.
The sad thing is, he will probably get a couple suckers in the Red River Valley to buy that, too!

its kinda the point of this website.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 pm

The point of this website is what...? To stir the pot? Mission accomplished.

I would not want Steve on the NDHSAA board, but he sure has the passion for a job like that.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby duke_boy90 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:28 pm

[quote="steve34"]Okay, so in a separate forum, I was asked to end my references to "B shot" ball. I thought of responding to it in that forum, but that would only serve to erode that thread further. So, here's a new thread. These myths are the reason why, over the years, I have gone from total respect for B basketball (around 1996 to 2000), to a complete lack of respect for it now, thus my references to "B shot".

Note--If you like Class "B" ball, this thread will pi$$ you off. You may not want to read it.

So how exactly did you expect class "B" fans to respond when you put this on a class "B" thread?
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby i am legend » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:05 am

duke_boy90 wrote:
steve34 wrote:Okay, so in a separate forum, I was asked to end my references to "B shot" ball. I thought of responding to it in that forum, but that would only serve to erode that thread further. So, here's a new thread. These myths are the reason why, over the years, I have gone from total respect for B basketball (around 1996 to 2000), to a complete lack of respect for it now, thus my references to "B shot".

Note--If you like Class "B" ball, this thread will pi$$ you off. You may not want to read it.

So how exactly did you expect class "B" fans to respond when you put this on a class "B" thread?

oh steve doesnt think or care about class b fans.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:16 am

Indy5 wrote:Sorry forgot to add Region 6 too. Bishop Ryan is ranked in the top ten and I belive Berhtold is number 5. There again is 2 top ten teams where only one can go to state.

agreed...if you want a better example look at the girls rankings and look at all the Region 7 teams in them!

#1 Beach (8-0)
#4 Killdeer (8-0)
#5 Hazen (8-1)
#6 Dickinson Trinity (10-2)
RV Hettinger (6-1)

5 teams from one region...RIDICULOUS!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby i am legend » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:21 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:Sorry forgot to add Region 6 too. Bishop Ryan is ranked in the top ten and I belive Berhtold is number 5. There again is 2 top ten teams where only one can go to state.

agreed...if you want a better example look at the girls rankings and look at all the Region 7 teams in them!

#1 Beach (8-0)
#4 Killdeer (8-0)
#5 Hazen (8-1)
#6 Dickinson Trinity (10-2)
RV Hettinger (6-1)

5 teams from one region...RIDICULOUS!

oh yah, i totally forgot about that. it really proves how hard it is to get to state.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby steve34 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:30 am

They will all get to state.
steve34
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballuvr » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:58 am

Moderator, please lock this topic.
Steve 34 will soon have too much power.
bballuvr