Top Myths From Class "B" Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Top Myths From Class "B" Basketball

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Indy5 wrote:Ok steve, fine, there is no additional seeding once you get to state so call regionals state if want but what does it matter? It's a good system that almost no one (except for yourself) has a problem with. You can go ahead and call regionals state but the rest of ND will call the state tournament in Fargo, Bismarck, etc. state. You just make your self sound like that one crazy guy that goes around talking about ridiculous religions. :wink:

haha. steve.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby steve34 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:15 pm

I love the way people hear only what they want to hear on this f ing board.

I'm not saying I have a problem with the system. I don't, the system is fine. I have a problem with the label. Class B advocates always talk about the rarity of going to a state tournament, and how it's so much easier to get to the state A. That is crap. B builds in an extra post-season tournament to get you to buy into the lie.

A gets two post-season tournaments. B gets two. A gets 40% of it's teams to state, B gets 50%. So the B teams construct this fantasy called the "regionals" to make you think there's a second step to getting to state, when really, you make state if you get out of your district, just like at A you make state if you get out of your conference.

I understand that, back in the day, it wasn't like that. Class B people tell me that you used to have to actually win your conference to get to your regional. Now, in order to make the post-season tournament that DECIDES A STATE CHAMPION, you must only place in the top four in your district. After that point, it's loser out play to the state title game.

Oh sure, we do a bunch of flowery things to dress it up, like a third place game in the "regionals" (by the way, if you win this game, you're one of 8 teams tied for 17th, so that's a awfully necessary game, isn't it?), and we let the final eight teams play it out through eighth at the end. But the tournament, starting with the first round of regionals, is there for one purpose: to decide a state champion.

So, go ahead and hold on to your "myth" that the Elite 8 is really the state tournament. You're just proving that B ball is built on a house of cards, a lie in a long string of lies perpetrated by the NDHSAA.
steve34
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:20 pm

steve34 wrote:I love the way people hear only what they want to hear on this f ing board.

I'm not saying I have a problem with the system. I don't, the system is fine. I have a problem with the label. Class B advocates always talk about the rarity of going to a state tournament, and how it's so much easier to get to the state A. That is crap. B builds in an extra post-season tournament to get you to buy into the lie.

A gets two post-season tournaments. B gets two. A gets 40% of it's teams to state, B gets 50%. So the B teams construct this fantasy called the "regionals" to make you think there's a second step to getting to state, when really, you make state if you get out of your district, just like at A you make state if you get out of your conference.

I understand that, back in the day, it wasn't like that. Class B people tell me that you used to have to actually win your conference to get to your regional. Now, in order to make the post-season tournament that DECIDES A STATE CHAMPION, you must only place in the top four in your district. After that point, it's loser out play to the state title game.

Oh sure, we do a bunch of flowery things to dress it up, like a third place game in the "regionals" (by the way, if you win this game, you're one of 8 teams tied for 17th, so that's a awfully necessary game, isn't it?), and we let the final eight teams play it out through eighth at the end. But the tournament, starting with the first round of regionals, is there for one purpose: to decide a state champion.

So, go ahead and hold on to your "myth" that the Elite 8 is really the state tournament. You're just proving that B ball is built on a house of cards, a lie in a long string of lies perpetrated by the NDHSAA.

u make no sense what so ever. how r u sayin that making it to regionals is like making state. yes, it is way easier to make it in class a. u look at it, there are 9 schools in the wda, and most years the bottom 2 to 3 teams are terrible. so if u are a decent team all you have to do is beat out 2 or 3 teams. its why the same teams go to state pretty much every year.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby steve34 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Follow along, Legend. If you weren't busy spamming half the board, you'd understand the drift of the thread.
steve34
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:37 pm

steve34 wrote:Follow along, Legend. If you weren't busy spamming half the board, you'd understand the drift of the thread.

yah i read it and everything else on the thread. and thats my opinion on it.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby steve34 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Well then, you're in the group of 98% that are wrong on the issue.
steve34
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:41 pm

maybe this will be better for you then....it's harder to make the state tournament in B then A . if you want it worded the way you want, its not as hard to make state in B. but its harder to make the Final 8. The final 8 teams in class B was given the name "state tournament" by the HSAA, not random people on the steet. YOUR state tournamnet has 64 teams, the ACTUAL state tournament has 8. So yes, its harder to make the state tournament in Class B vs. Class A.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:47 pm

baseball wrote:maybe this will be better for you then....it's harder to make the state tournament in B then A . if you want it worded the way you want, its not as hard to make state in B. but its harder to make the Final 8. The final 8 teams in class B was given the name "state tournament" by the HSAA, not random people on the steet. YOUR state tournamnet has 64 teams, the ACTUAL state tournament has 8. So yes, its harder to make the state tournament in Class B vs. Class A.

finally someone says it like it is.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:48 pm

I love class a basketball, but nothing beats class b basketball in the state on north dakota.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:48 pm

I don't agree with this. I think it is harder for an average team to make state in Class B, but for a good team, it is harder to make state in Class A.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:50 pm

balla45 wrote:I don't agree with this. I think it is harder for an average team to make state in Class B, but for a good team, it is harder to make state in Class A.

i usually agree with most everything u say, but not on this. Top teams in class b have it tough because there are so many times u cnt slip up. u have to play near perfect through districts and regionals to make it to state.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:53 pm

balla45 wrote:I don't agree with this. I think it is harder for an average team to make state in Class B, but for a good team, it is harder to make state in Class A.

explain this please? Class A is like Class B in terms of good teams, average teams, and bad teams. In Class A, the "average" has a far greater chance to make the state tourney then the "average" team in Class B has.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Class B, average team has almost no chance of making state, because they will get bumped off in one of the rounds. I agree that an average A team has a much greater chance of making state, especially in the EDC. WDA typically has many good teams, and on any given year, 2 or 3 legit, good teams, will not make state. Harder for good teams to make state in A, because in B, the good teams seem to make state every year.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:59 pm

balla45 wrote:Class B, average team has almost no chance of making state, because they will get bumped off in one of the rounds. I agree that an average A team has a much greater chance of making state, especially in the EDC. WDA typically has many good teams, and on any given year, 2 or 3 legit, good teams, will not make state. Harder for good teams to make state in A, because in B, the good teams seem to make state every year.

there are some very good teams that get left home in class b every year. u could have the number 1 and 2 teams in the state in one region, so only one gets to go, where in class a, 4 teams get to go so that never happens. last year century was probaly the best team that didnt go to state and they were only 10-10, so kinda mediocre.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Minot didn't go to state, after being preseason number 1, and BHS barely made state. Century wasn't mediocre, they just played good teams night in an night out. Belcourt was an easy win last year, that was it. Mandan, Dickinson, Bismarck, Jamestown, Minot, Williston, Century, and Saint Mary's were all very solid last year.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:03 pm

The only legit B teams I have seen not make state are Steele-Dawson Bakkum's senior year, and Shiloh the last two years. Who else?

A team like Devil's Lake from Travis Merten's senior year would make state in Class B, year in and year out, and even they didn't make it in A, because they wind up going against another very good team in the first round of the EDC. When does this happen in Class B?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:05 pm

balla45 wrote:Minot didn't go to state, after being preseason number 1, and BHS barely made state. Century wasn't mediocre, they just played good teams night in an night out. Belcourt was an easy win last year, that was it. Mandan, Dickinson, Bismarck, Jamestown, Minot, Williston, Century, and Saint Mary's were all very solid last year.

i didnt think minot seemed that good last year, and jamestown and st. marys were decent at best.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballuvr » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:06 pm

"Dress it up"????? and call it a state tourney. Steve, I now think you have had a bad experience somehow, somewhere regarding Class B. Go ahead and just go to Class A games and other state's games from now on. There is no sense futher angering yourself by ever attending a class B game again.

The most difficult challenge in hoops, and maybe any ND sport, is to put three wins together in the Regional tournament. Making it to State B is a great honor and very hard to do. Your "Elite 8" is utterly laughable. Sorry to be so frank, but at least stop being surprised by my (and 99% of the rest of class B fans) definition of a State tournament.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:07 pm

balla45 wrote:The only legit B teams I have seen not make state are Steele-Dawson Bakkum's senior year, and Shiloh the last two years. Who else?

A team like Devil's Lake from Travis Merten's senior year would make state in Class B, year in and year out, and even they didn't make it in A, because they wind up going against another very good team in the first round of the EDC. When does this happen in Class B?

im not sayin that class a teams cant beat class b teams. its pretty obvious that they can, but i would hope that they can when most class a teams have 10-20 times the enrollment to pick from to make their teams. all im sayin that its a harder path to state in class b.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:08 pm

i am legend wrote:
balla45 wrote:Minot didn't go to state, after being preseason number 1, and BHS barely made state. Century wasn't mediocre, they just played good teams night in an night out. Belcourt was an easy win last year, that was it. Mandan, Dickinson, Bismarck, Jamestown, Minot, Williston, Century, and Saint Mary's were all very solid last year.

i didnt think minot seemed that good last year, and jamestown and st. marys were decent at best.

Jamestown was the third best team I played against last year, and my team was solid. Minot was the only team to beat Mandan, so I can't say they were an average team, and Saint Mary's was decent at worst. Harris, Klabunde, and Huber are all three year starters, and legit players.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Balla, to answer your question just look at Region 1 this year. Central Cass and Oak Grove are in almost evryone's opinion 2 of the top 8 in the state. Only one will go to state. Region 4 has 2 teams in the top 5. Those being Carrington and North Star. Plus Warwick is currently ranked 9th. So there is 3 top ten teams in one region and only one can go to state.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:10 pm

i am legend wrote:
balla45 wrote:The only legit B teams I have seen not make state are Steele-Dawson Bakkum's senior year, and Shiloh the last two years. Who else?

im not sayin that class a teams cant beat class b teams. its pretty obvious that they can, but i would hope that they can when most class a teams have 10-20 times the enrollment to pick from to make their teams. all im sayin that its a harder path to state in class b.

I'm saying I don't agree with you. I'm saying a team like Devil's Lake, doesn't have to be that team. You take a team with a D1 player and a Mr. Basketball winner, surround him with 3 really good shooters, and then take a future 2 time all stater, and this team goes to state in Class B, 99.99% of the time. In class A, a team that good is guaranteed nothing.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:11 pm

Sorry forgot to add Region 6 too. Bishop Ryan is ranked in the top ten and I belive Berhtold is number 5. There again is 2 top ten teams where only one can go to state.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:13 pm

Indy5 wrote:Balla, to answer your question just look at Region 1 this year. Central Cass and Oak Grove are in almost evryone's opinion 2 of the top 8 in the state. Only one will go to state. Region 4 has 2 teams in the top 5. Those being Carrington and North Star. Plus Warwick is currently ranked 9th. So there is 3 top ten teams in one region and only one can go to state.

I personally don't think Warwick is a top 10 team, Central Cass and Oak Grove yes, Carrington and North Star yes. But how common is this? This is an occurance every year in Class A.

And to your next comment, yes, 2 top 10 teams can't go. Class A, it is not rare to see two top 5 teams not go. 2 of the top 10 automatically don't go.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballuvr » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:19 pm

That team was tough. Probably quite a few "legit" teams have not made it over the years. There could arguably be dozens of posts I spose along this line. In Region 3, in '04, LaMoure was at least a legit state team, and fell to a great comeback by a real solid Linton team.

I think the above topic is another great thing about the B. Big upsets, surprises, etc. Many super players that never get to the B floor. Handling disappointment, frustration, etc. is just part of the game and experience.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys