Darkhorse Team

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rep » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:27 am

scruffy wrote:Trinity, Beulah, and Hazen will be tops in region 7.  Beulah because of the size of their program, Hazen because of their experience coming back, and Trinity because their JV and freshman teams abused almost everyone they played last year.....
gotta be a first...calling the state champion a dark horse
rep

Postby kvrnm » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:21 am

scruffy wrote:Trinity, Beulah, and Hazen will be tops in region 7.  Beulah because of the size of their program, Hazen because of their experience coming back, and Trinity because their JV and freshman teams abused almost everyone they played last year.....

no offense, but trinities JV wasnt that great, they were just all average and had a very deep bench, and if that is trinities future for varsity basketball, ppl r gonna start gettin back at them and beating them.
kvrnm
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:33 pm

put it this way...grigsteiner isnt dumb. these kids will be good whatever they did at the jv level.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Chewy8 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:23 pm

Any team with Mark Bakkum has a chance to win. He doesnt know how to lose he is a winner and a very good player. So I say watch out for Steele-Dawson
Chewy8
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:15 pm

yes he will still score but his teammates need to come up HUGE....i  will guess he will see a chaser 90% of the time next year...granted half the kids he will play against probably dont know what a chaser is but thats alright...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby kvrnm » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:24 pm

baseball wrote:put it this way...grigsteiner isnt dumb. these kids will be good whatever they did at the jv level.

i no that, but they arent that talented, if ppl want it  more,which im sure they will, these guys wont be as good
kvrnm
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:15 pm

look at Steele's girls team....whenSilbernagel was coaching them eveyone thought they had nothing, then one year Mark Sand takes over n they win the region 2 years later....yes a coach does mean that much. a great coach will produce a great team.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby letsgosox » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:53 pm

How about killdeer being a darkhorse this year. They have two returning all-region players in Dufault 6'7" junior g-f and Wheeling 6'2" senior gaurd. They also have some great size in some upcoming jv kids from last year.
letsgosox

Postby ndman11 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:29 pm

Oak Grove could surprise some teams. Most of the district and region lost a lot besides Kindred. I know there Jv team went undefeated last yr. So id assume they have some talent coming up this year. Just a thought.
ndman11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Claz B Fan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:33 pm

ndman11 wrote:Oak Grove could surprise some teams. Most of the district and region lost a lot besides Kindred. I know there Jv team went undefeated last yr. So id assume they have some talent coming up this year. Just a thought.

I dont know though because from what I hear they had a weak showing at summer league games, although that could have been caused by not having all the players do you know anymore information on that ndman11
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndman11 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:22 pm

yeah im on the team. No we didnt have the greatest showing summer league, but two key players from our team were not in the league due to other commitments, and  im not sure if you are talking about the courts plus league your not but that was intended for our younger guys coming, the Varsity played over in Morhead to. It should be intresting, we wont be the deepest team but i do believe the district and region is weaker this yr.
ndman11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Photo-man-Bob » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:49 am

Finley-Sharon/Hope-Page might be a darkhorse this season. They'll have to 6'4" guys up front in Nick Nelson and Dillan Ostrom, who I feel is really going to break out this season. Agree with gosox on Killdeer. I've seen Wheeling play quite a few times and he can fill it up.
Photo-man-Bob

Postby Wildcat » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:54 pm

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but is there a more than average amount of Trinity Christian kids coming on this site and saying how good they're all going to be? I realize since your team has four starters back that you won't be horrible, but to predict that you're going to be in the region championship a year after getting thumped in the first round of regionals, especially after losing your best player, I don't know if I'd be preaching up and down this forum that your going to be as good as you think you are. Parshall will still be No. 1 and after that, it clearly drops off. Parshall has way too much talent for anyone to think otherwise. I'm not saying TC won't get there, but to run around preaching how good you're going to be is just setting yourself up. I still think Watford City will be behind Parshall because of a stronger talent pool.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:43 am

For region 1 i think northern cass could really suprise some teams. overall a very weak region but maple valley is also a team to watch. Plenty of good teams in region 2. I think mpcg is a dark house in their own right. Once they find their identity they could make another appearence at bismarck. CV has the ability to upset some very good teams with their shooting and quickness. Drayton St. Thomas really suprised me when they upset hatton-northwood. Fordville Lankin will be muched improved. Grafton will be ok as well but dakota prarie is my darkhouse team. curt herman will lead them to regions and maybe further.
PA42

Postby zags_22 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:57 am

[user=1091]Wildcat[/user] wrote:

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but is there a more than average amount of Trinity Christian kids coming on this site and saying how good they're all going to be? I realize since your team has four starters back that you won't be horrible, but to predict that you're going to be in the region championship a year after getting thumped in the first round of regionals, especially after losing your best player, I don't know if I'd be preaching up and down this forum that your going to be as good as you think you are. Parshall will still be No. 1 and after that, it clearly drops off. Parshall has way too much talent for anyone to think otherwise. I'm not saying TC won't get there, but to run around preaching how good you're going to be is just setting yourself up. I still think Watford City will be behind Parshall because of a stronger talent pool.
Ya know Wildcat, you definitely have a point there.  It seems to me that the only time they post is to talk about how great they are goin to be.  Seems to me that if they are good they should go out and let their play do the talking for them.  If they can do that then they shouldn't/won't need to come on here.  I have seen them play and like you said they have the potential to be there but it seems, IMO as well, that they are getting a bit ahead of themselves.
zags_22
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PA42 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:26 am

region 2 is full of dark horses. It just matters which teams come together. Is mpcg a dark horse? Central Valley, Drayton ST., Midway Minto, and Grafton has had some big wins.
PA42

Postby boysbballfan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:22 pm

What about Richardton/Taylor Raiders they knocked off Bowman last night and could cause make things really interesting in Region 7.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:17 am

CLASSB2001 wrote:I know that North borders jv team has won like 40 games in a row with a 6'11" kid moving up from jv.  I think he is playing aau this summer with lorenz.

I watch their game vs Startkweather-Munich!  I was not too impressed with that kid!  He should have dominated that school and he didn't!  He should have dominated the boards, offensive and defensively!  But he wasn't really a factor in their, last second (buzzer went off before the shot)  shot!  They should have went into OT!  I think the refs were more worried about getting home!  I mean it was rather late!

It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:59 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
CLASSB2001 wrote:I know that North borders jv team has won like 40 games in a row with a 6'11" kid moving up from jv.  I think he is playing aau this summer with lorenz.

I watch their game vs Startkweather-Munich!  I was not too impressed with that kid!  He should have dominated that school and he didn't!  He should have dominated the boards, offensive and defensively!  But he wasn't really a factor in their, last second (buzzer went off before the shot)  shot!  They should have went into OT!  I think the refs were more worried about getting home!  I mean it was rather late!

Mike mathison (6'11) didn't really impress me much when i watched him play against central valley either.  They had a 6'1 guy defending him and mathison scored maybe 5 points in the game.  Now i'm not a math major but i think 6'11 minus 6'1 is like 10 inches of height difference between Mike and his defender.  I wouldn't write him off yet as this is his first experience playing varsity level basketball when it matters.  I'd give him untill mid-january to realize how easy it should be for him to dominate.  In his defense he was 6'3 as a freshman, 6'7 as a sophomore and 6'11 and a junior so he's been trying to adjust to getting taller and taller every year, tough for anyone. 
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Tigger » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:42 am

I'm looking at the first Class B poll for the year which lists Beulah, Thompson, Lamoure, Standing Rock, Minnewaukan-Leeds, Parshall, Bishop Ryan, Dickinson Trinity, Hazen, MPCG, and Watford City.  I really don't want to pick any of these teams to be my dark horse because a top 10 team is supposed to win it all.  It's easy to pick a high octane offense because offense is sexy and fun to watch, but 50 points would have won the state title last year in a blowout.  I also don't want to select a team that plays in a Class A town or has been a Class A team in recent history.  I will go against my first point and pick MPCG as my darkhorse.  They will be successful if Luke Lorenz can remain huge on defense and also pick up his offense.  Let's face it, MPCG did play for the title last year, and it could be argued that they maybe should have won it.  They lost a lot from last year though.  They are dressing 9 guys and don't have a lot of size.  Ryan Baldock is a great athlete, but he's coming off an injury that cost him the entire football season.  It sounded like Klath was a little trigger happy in the opener, and I'm not convinced he's that good to start with.  It's pretty much Lorenz and a bunch of guys who would struggle to hit double digits in anything on most nights.  If Dave Nelson can get these guys to play defense anywhere near the way they played last year, they should be able to compete at a high level.  That may mean the Pats will take the air out of the ball and (gasp) have a lot of games that top out in scoring in the 30s or 40s.  If Lorenz and Nelson can make this team into a champion caliber club, they will both be sporting some individual hardware in March.  If MPCG doesn't make it out of the region, then my darkhorse reverts to whoever makes it out of Region 2.  The Region 2 rep might not have a sterling record but will be battle tested.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:23 am

Tigger, if we don't include teams that were once class "A", then to make if fair lets don't include the teams that have co-oped  over the past ten years either....Enrollment numbers are what they are and its time to live with the facts.  It is trend that won't change....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby PA42 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:42 am

calling baldock a great athlete is a stretch. And by no stretch of the imagination a great player. he is a boost of energy who turns the ball over way too much and i think he will have too many fouls to be a factor at times. Klath is mpcg's 2nd best player no questions about it. They just need to build an offense around lorenz who gets the tough points. but nelson will never build the offense around anyone... And they need a solid post. Troy Dale is a great athlete but because of his lack of height he forces a lot of shots.
PA42

Previous

Return to Boys