Upcoming Talent II

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Class_Bbbballmom » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:30 pm

I was at Courts Plus a few weeks ago and they have a league play there on Tues. nights, there were Northern Cass kids and New York Mills and Hope-Page-Finley-Sharon that I saw, there is alot of young talent out there, the Dunn kid from N. Cass was alright and Nick Nelson at H-P-F-S had an excellant game, he has worked on his shooting and is much improved. Dillian Ostrom played really well too. Didn't know any of the Mn kids but there were a few good players. Take in the games if you get a chance it is fun to watch!
Last edited by Class_Bbbballmom on Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class_Bbbballmom

Postby Claz B Fan » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:58 pm

Justin Dunn is gonna be a senior and I was watching Hope Page and they were losing by 25 to Ulen Hitterdahl which starts a 4 10 8th grade point guard
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND_Coach » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:16 pm

Strasburg had an incredible 8th grade class last year.  Mark Baumgartner, Danny Nieuwsma, Chad Ternes, Evan Wolf, Ben Meier, and Bobbi Kramer.  With Kramer being the best of the six.  They play a lot like that great groups of kids from New Rockford, so keep an eye out for them in a few years
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NikeRep » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:16 pm

Can anyone tell me more about this default kid? His height, position, stregnths, weaknesses.

any info would be great.

Also, I am very interested in this topic. Im curious to hear about the top 2010, and 2009 kids. Or any super 08 kids.

Any ND Hoop Experts?
NikeRep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wildfireman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:18 pm

dufault is an excelent player. he has a great shot but likes to sit out on the 3 point line to much. he needs to drive and post up some also. he is a junior and about 6'6'' or 6'7'' he should be a very good player and leader for the cowboys this year.

Justin Shipman is also very good. he plays for watford city and is probably about 6'2'' he is a tramendous athlete. he can dunk. i don't know much about his outside game but he has a good mid-range jumper and can post up and drive also.

Jarek Hansen is a 6'5'' junior that goes to williston trinity.he is very athletic also. great on the boards. he dunks, pretty good outside shot and very good off the dribble for the mid-range jumper. he can drive and dunk with ppl right in his face. he could work on posting up a bit. but he has a few low post moves. he should be a lot of fun to watch and a very good leader for the crusaders this year. expect some great things from him this year. also expect very good numbers from these three for there junior year.
wildfireman
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NikeRep » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:25 pm

Thanks. I heard he was about 6'8" though. Is that wrong? Hows his D? Can he play above the rim?
NikeRep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:06 pm

Austin Dufault is a 6'7" guard/forward. He has been given alot of criticism because he hangs out at the 3 point line too much and does not use his size. I am good friends with his dad/coach and he is going to definitely use him more inside this year because of the depth at the guard position. Last year, Dufaults first year of starting, he was forced into playing the 2 guard spot while Jacob Wheeling would handle the point. Both kids were playing out of their true positions. Last year Austin at 6'6" proved he could handle the ball and bring it up the court. This year, I believe, he will be able to show people he can play well inside as well. He can shoot the lights out though, so keeping him on that 3 point line isnt a bad thing.
letsgosox

Postby letsgosox » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:09 pm

Dufault cannot jump real well, he can dunk but not incredibly well for his size. His defense has gotten better but he is still growing into his legs. He has put on some muscle over the summer and is moving laterally very well. I heard when killdeer played bowman in football last week that he caught a 60 yard touch down pass where he ran away from two defensive backs. so that says something about his ability to move for a big man.
letsgosox

Postby NikeRep » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:15 pm

Thanks. How much does he weigh? Is he strong? and how good is his outside jumper?
NikeRep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:48 pm

NikeRep wrote:Thanks. How much does he weigh? Is he strong? and how good is his outside jumper?

Austin weighs about 190lbs but with a 6'6" frame he is still pretty skinny. He has put on some weight and muscle though. Austin has arguably the best outside shot in the region. His strength of his game is definitely his shooting.
letsgosox

Postby NikeRep » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:14 am

Thanks.

Can I get a legit height? Ive heard everything between 6'5" and 6'8".

NikeRep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:11 pm

NikeRep wrote:Thanks.

Can I get a legit height? Ive heard everything between 6'5" and 6'8".

Last year he was 6'6" and he grew a little but no more than an inch so he is between 6'6" and 6'7". sorry for not being more clear
letsgosox

Postby NikeRep » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:09 pm

Oh, ok. 6'6" 190 isnt bad. Weight isnt an issue when playing with great talent. Its strength.

Thanks.

Isnt his father his HS coach?
NikeRep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:42 pm

NikeRep wrote:Oh, ok. 6'6" 190 isnt bad. Weight isnt an issue when playing with great talent. Its strength.

Thanks.

Isnt his father his HS coach?

That is correct
letsgosox

Postby NikeRep » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:05 pm

Thanks. Can Default handle the ball?
NikeRep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:13 pm

NikeRep wrote:Thanks. Can Default handle the ball?

Yes he can, due to lack of depth at gaurd last year he was forced to play the 2 gaurd stop. At 6'6" he proved he could bring the ball up the floor.
letsgosox

Postby NikeRep » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:28 am

Thanks. Good info.

However, being able to bring up the ball and being able to handle it are very different. Cant he make a move, beat his man and penetrate? Can he help break a press without having to throw it over the top? How well can he put the ball on the floor?

Thanks.
NikeRep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:55 am

NikeRep wrote:Thanks. Good info.

However, being able to bring up the ball and being able to handle it are very different. Cant he make a move, beat his man and penetrate? Can he help break a press without having to throw it over the top? How well can he put the ball on the floor?

Thanks.

Well being that he is such a dangerous outside shooter he is very good at getting his man off the ground and going to the hoop. I am not sure about the breaking the press part, i know last year that was one week part of killdeers team game. They had a very tough time breaking the press.
letsgosox

Postby NikeRep » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:14 pm

Good post. Thank you.

Hows his D? Is he passionate about basketball?
NikeRep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:55 am

NikeRep wrote:Good post. Thank you.

Hows his D? Is he passionate about basketball?

His defense is one of the areas of his game that could use some work. He has improved tremendously on defense but it is still one of the weaker parts of his game. He eats sleeps and breathes basketball. He has worked hard all summer going to tournaments to improve. During the school year he makes the 70-mile roundtrip about 2-3 times a week to dickinson so he can play at the community center there, so that shows some dedication.
letsgosox

Postby NikeRep » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:33 pm

Wow! He sounds like my kind if kid. Dedication is the biggest part of anything and if basketball his his thing, thats good.

I cant wait to see him this winter.

Question, Is he a D1 player?
NikeRep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:04 am

NikeRep wrote:Wow! He sounds like my kind if kid. Dedication is the biggest part of anything and if basketball his his thing, thats good.

I cant wait to see him this winter.

Question, Is he a D1 player?

He is a very talented kid, but at this time I don't think he is on that level. Give him another year and he might be but right now he isn't. Right now he would probably fit in the best at an NAIA college but with his size and potential it is possible that he could one day be a D-1 caliber player.
letsgosox

Postby NikeRep » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:07 am

NAIA is the lowest level of college basketball. D1, D2, D3, JC, NAIA. Theres nothing wrong with playing at any of those levels. If you get a chance to play college ball at the next level thats great. 

Interesting. Isnt NDSU D1? 
NikeRep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:22 am

NikeRep wrote:NAIA is the lowest level of college basketball. D1, D2, D3, JC, NAIA. Theres nothing wrong with playing at any of those levels. If you get a chance to play college ball at the next level thats great. 

Interesting. Isnt NDSU D1? 

can you get scholarships at the d3 level for basketball? i thought you couldn't for football but i could be wrong there. that is why i thought that naia was actually a bit better than d3.

ndsu is 1-aa right now
rep

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:49 pm

the DI AA classification is only for football.  All other sports sports, including basketball, are either DI  or DII.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys