Dickinson Trinity Should be moved to Class A

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby NDhockey6b » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:38 pm

Those private schools are in much bigger communities and have more opitions and probably more money. Not for sure but i think i heard trinity has won their region like 10 years in a row. Move to Class A!!! It true that families with money TEND(not always) to have their kids in sports and families with money send their kids to private schools. Atleast most trinity to Class A. Their either scared or like pounding on tiny small town schools.

hahaha and IM PRETTY SURE dickinson is not 13 miles wide their buddy! go back to school. Also Fargo is barley 25 SQUARE miles

Another point Private schools can Recrute. Thats not too far class B can not compete with that.

Last edited by NDhockey6b on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
every practice matters...but every game Counts
NDhockey6b
NDPreps Starter

Postby lefty » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:52 pm

i'm not supporting private schools at all here but one thing gets on my nerves.  if you want to be the best you have to beat the best and you should want to play the best.  i dont get why people complain that trinity should be class A just because they are good. i can see some sort of an argument if you think they recruit or control their enrollment, but as far as wanting them to move up just because they are good just seems like the easy way out.  the kids should be playing the games for fun and competition. how satisfying would it be to know that you won a championship because somebody gave you the easy route?
Last edited by lefty on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:08 pm

NDhockey6b wrote:Those private schools are in much bigger communities and have more opitions and probably more money. Not for sure but i think i heard trinity has won their region like 10 years in a row. Move to Class A!!! It true that families with money TEND(not always) to have their kids in sports and families with money send their kids to private schools. Atleast most trinity to Class A. Their either scared or like pounding on tiny small town schools.

hahaha and IM PRETTY SURE dickinson is not 13 miles wide their buddy! go back to school. Also Fargo is barley 25 SQUARE miles

Another point Private schools can Recrute. Thats not too far class B can not compete with that.

Trinity has a small enrollment also so they shouldn't be moved up.
Last edited by Ming01 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby West Dakota » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:53 pm

ndtaterman wrote:Well one thing about it we probably won't have to worry about Trinity the next few years with Buelah turning back to class B.......

I think Hazen and Killdeer will give Beulah a run for their money next year.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballuvr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:45 pm

nativegolfer wrote:I'll say it again and I'll keep saying it:  School in a class A town should be class A.  There are just to many advantages for those schools than smaller rural schools.

What are the "too many advantages"? Poulation to draw from is an advantage. What else??? Just curious what you mean by "too many"?
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNC1 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:00 pm

The reason they have a small enrollment is because they only let a certain amount of students in there school
UNC1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby supermang57 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:11 pm

UNC1 wrote:The reason they have a small enrollment is because they only let a certain amount of students in there school

they dont limit the enrollment at smaller schools, look at Bishop Ryan in the 70s and 80s they were class A that whole time along with other schools in the area, but with so many people leaving the state, enrollment droped off, so saying they limit enrollment is just asinine. Being from the minot area, the minot catholic schools system has had a few commercials and billboards around town to try and boost enrollment, but they are still far off from being a class A school. Another arguement is the whole class A town, class A school, maybe that would work if they MADE the smaller schools co-op with the larger school in the town, but they dont do that cause thats how many more kids that wont even get a chance to play. I dont think private schools should be moved up. Dickinson Trinity has the success year in year out becasue they have there football players at the NDSU position camps and there lineman at the VCSU lineman camps, they put in the time in the off season, and the same with there basketball teams, boys and girls, they jsut have the drive to do something great, cause they get the mentality "if the upperclass man could do it last year...why cant we?" so they have that drive to get in the weightroom and in the gym over the summer, were as some other schools get the "why put in the time when they are just going to beat us" mentality. I think that once a bowman or glen ullen accually gets over that hump and end Trinitys dominace, then those guys will get the "we can accually beat them" mentality same in football, caviler beat trinity like 3 years in a row, becasue they had the "we did it last year, we can do it again" going for them
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bill » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52 am

I agree. Trinity kids do work pretty hard. And UNC1, don't make accusations with out backing them up with facts. keep rumors off this board. Tell me one kid who has every been denied enrollment to Trinity for any reason! You can't because it has never happened. Same is true with Minot Ryan.
bill

Postby carolina blue » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:58 am

If Trinity is rejecting enrollment, they must be letting almost nobody in there. Look at this link and tell me what you see. Their enrollment is dropping year by year. Trinity is actually in dire need of students because it is not cheap to run that school.

http://www.trinityhighschool.com/about%20us.html
What's Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff? - Paris Hilton
carolina blue
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic715 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:59 pm

UNC1 wrote:The reason they have a small enrollment is because they only let a certain amount of students in there school

UNC your an embarrassment, private schools need money, and the more students the more money, i know at Bishop Ryan in minot, if they could have 500 students they would love it, and i am sure trinity is the same. If they controlled there student count would nt it make sense to have it around 350 to give them even more of an advantage. And how about Fargo Shanley and Bismarck ST mary's they could be Class B enrollment wise, but chose to stay Class A and they are not able to add more students, do they controll there enrollment too, get with the program.
magic715

Postby supermang57 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:10 pm

magic, great post, props
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportlvr » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:26 am

magic715 wrote:

UNC your an embarrassment, private schools need money, and the more students the more money, i know at Bishop Ryan in minot, if they could have 500 students they would love it, and i am sure trinity is the same. If they controlled there student count would nt it make sense to have it around 350 to give them even more of an advantage. And how about Fargo Shanley and Bismarck ST mary's they could be Class B enrollment wise, but chose to stay Class A and they are not able to add more students, do they controll there enrollment too, get with the program.

Yes in deed magic715 those schools could be class B but they know that they are better than that. they want to play at their own level. Trinity also should want to play at there own level. and UNC1 is doing nothing to be a embarrassment.
sportlvr
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:32 am

[user=468]sportlvr[/user] wrote:
magic715 wrote:

Yes in deed magic715 those schools could be class B but they know that they are better than that. they want to play at their own level. Trinity also should want to play at there own level. and UNC1 is doing nothing to be a embarrassment.

Play at their own level? Did you watch the state championship game? They only beat MPCG on a last second shot. I think their are a lot of Bowman fans on here that are still mad they lost to Trinity.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby under armour » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 am

I agree with ndfan, Bowman is still mad about the loss to Trinity, but if you guys went 1-3 with them and played them within 10 points, i think you belong on that level too.
under armour
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportlvr » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:56 pm

under armour wrote:I agree with ndfan, Bowman is still mad about the loss to Trinity, but if you guys went 1-3 with them and played them within 10 points, i think you belong on that level too.

Yes i am from bowman. (and proud of it) and yes there are still alot of people who are mad cuz trinity. and THIS YEAR we did compete at there level but we dont do that EVERY YEAR!
sportlvr
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndsubball » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:24 pm

I agree with most everyone else this is the most ridiculous thing i have heard...I mean trinity had a good year this year good for them but your going to make them go to Class A because they have made it to state for consecutive years in a row?? I mean they only have 254 people in grades 7-12 and Fargo Shanley has 304 kids in grades 10-12...Its just like saying that a Jamestown or a Valley City should be moved to class B becuase they only one 2 and 1 games this year respectively?Are you kidding me leave them in class B...Would you rather win all your games by 30 and go to state and lose because you didnt have any competition?Its just like Valley City and Jamestown they are staying in Class A becuase they want a challenge and want to get exerpice and want to get better so they keep competing with the bigger schools..I mean DL has about 160 sophomores and and Trintny has like 4 times as less with only like 52 or something like that......SO TRINTY SHOULD STAY CLASS B AND QUIT COMPLAING THAT TRINTY SHOULD BE CLASS A!!! Its just like saying Four Winds or Oak Grove in Fargo should be Class A because they are practiclly in Class A towns!!!!
Last edited by ndsubball on Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndsubball

Postby xcolt90 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:49 pm

For the record I believe Trinity's girls went 5-1 against Class A schools this year, the boys team won the football championship, the track teams are always successful and the Boys Basketball Team has been to state 7 of the last 8 years.

I don't think you can take and move them up but just as I have seen enrollments listed on here you can't expect a team like Scranton (70 some students) to compete with Beulah at 305 students.  For Scranton making the regional is the state tournament.

It's time to have 3 classes in basketball!  We are the only state around that does this.  Even Indiana went to 4 classes and they winners meet for the true state champion, but at least they have other class champions.  Look around, South Dakota - 3 classes, Montana - 4 classes, Wyoming - 4 classes, Minnesota - 4 classes.  The B won't lose that much and the middle class won't lose fans at their state tournament either.  If Trinity were to make the middle class state tournament all of those fans would still attend.  THey do in football.  We have become to enamored with the aura of the "B".  If a small town like New Salem made the lowest Class tournament, the entire town would go.  Wouldn't matter what the letter of the tournament would be. 

I just can't believe the NDHSAA hasn't mandated the change since they are all about the money.  3 tournament would make them more money.
xcolt90

Postby supermang57 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:12 pm

OK a 3 classes good idea, but lets look at this, if we did split into the 3 classes like they sugjested ok the class A teams stay the same i think it was the next 32 largest schools move up  to form class B and class C is the rest...lets look at enrollments, if they did do this i think trinity would be pretty close to staying in the lowest class, with all the co-ops and such i bet there combined enrollments would keep them up, Trinity is at the lowest end of class AA football in there last census i saw (like 3 class A teams were higher) but lets say the 3 class system dose come into effect, when will all the state tournaments be held? and only grand forks and fargo could handle having girls and boys at the same time seriously, if they did it class A 1 weekend class B the next and class C the one after that....and with 3 classes seperate boys/girls tournaments would not work, i mean u could have class A together again like they did this year and then Class B boys in minot and class C girls in bismarck or something, but having but i'm sure they would want the class tournaments going on at the same time, in the same town, the resources jsut arnt there, state tournament would be stuck in fargo and grand forks they are the only towns with the venues to handle a boys/girls at the same time....and if they did move into the 3 class system travel would be heck for some of the schools, i mean a dickenson to minot (assuming ryan would move up too because they have a higher enrollment) would be tough on a team, you would have to leave at like 11 to get to minot on time, its about 4 hours on a bus, plus time change, and with C JV and varsity going on the games start at 4 it would jsut be a long day for them, and then they wouldent get home untill about 12 or so and then money for the travel...gas,driver wages and so on it would put trinity or ryan in hot water because they dont get goverment help for that. all there money comes from there small enrollment
Last edited by supermang57 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby xcolt90 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:14 pm

Supermang57, you bring up some good points.  But, Dickinson High goes to Minot now, and Minot at Dickinson I believe.  There's now way you could have all the tournaments on different weekends.  There would have to be some on the same weekend, as Montana, South Dakota, and Minnesota do.  That is just going to happen.  Not many Class A people keep that big of tabs on the B and I'm guessing here but as a B fan I don't keep that big of tabs on the A schools either, and most probably don't.

Trinity would move up with Bowman, Beulah, Hazen, Killdeer, Standing Rock, Watford City, and Minot Ryan.  Maybe some would move down.  There's lots of questions to answer but solutions for them as well.

I have a feeling that the schools that keep voting in favor of the 3 class change are eventually going to get fed up with the process and break off to form their own Association.  I realize that is a big step but is well within their right to go do.  It would be better to go with 3 classes through the NDHSAA but I wouldn't count them out going a different direction.  Their frustration with the current setup is a lot higher than people think.
xcolt90

Postby Double Bonus » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:33 pm

The talent at the Class B level is watered down enough in both boys and girls, just think how awful a Class C tournament would be to watch? Plus you're splitting your fans and people have to make a choice what tournament to go to. Also, the excitment of Class B would lose its luster.
Double Bonus

Postby supermang57 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:04 pm

Double Bonus wrote:The talent at the Class B level is watered down enough in both boys and girls, just think how awful a Class C tournament would be to watch? Plus you're splitting your fans and people have to make a choice what tournament to go to. Also, the excitment of Class B would lose its luster.

This is kinda summing up one of my points, by spliting the fans you have less money comeing into each tournament, and with same amount, of games i would assume at 12 revenue might be a problem with paying out official and renting out places would be not very cost friendly. bascily you will have the same amount of fans attending 12 more games (accually 24 with boys and girls) i dont think it would be worth it
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:15 pm

I'm just brainstorming, but hows this.  We go to a three class system, but a combined B and C state tournament with a sweet sixteen format.  Imagine the crowds for that with 16 teams, and both B and C get equal representation.    That would be fun, and still competative, schools like Parshall, PBK, and Richland were smaller but still made it to state.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:11 am

Alright then lets play the NDHSAA and see how easy this is to put a three class system together. So what teams stay in what division? Class A stays were its at. What teams stay in class B? What teams move down to class C? Then those teams in C and B need districts and regions. Then how will the state tournament go? Just have one for each class? Join B & C in a sweet sixteen type format? (If you do that might as well just keep class B and bring 16 teams)

I would love to see everybody's idea on how it should go. I really would love to see a list of what teams should stay in B and which ones should go to C.

Make sure ya put some thought into it too.
Last edited by ndfan on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Double Bonus » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:41 am

How about this:

Let's just let every Class B team have a berth into the state tournament. That way it would be special for everybody and nobody's feelings would get hurt. People wouldn't whine and moan about dynasties. Getting there would be a right and not a privledge.

While we're at it, let's let every player who is in a team's starting five become all-staters and let them all be a Mr. or Miss Basketball finalist. That way nobody's feelings would get hurt and everybody can have the glory of being a Mr. or Miss Basketball finalist. We need to recognize every player, student manager, cheerleader and ball polisher at the state, why not just give them all glory?

Anybody pick up any sarcasm?
Double Bonus

Postby xcolt90 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:48 am

Now you guys are varifying my point.  Lets say that the top class stays the same and is called "AA".  Then lets say that Trinity, Watford City, Beulah, Mayport, Minot Ryan, Cavalier, Fargo Oak Grove, Bowman, and Bottineau make the middle class tournament, called "A".  Take the fans from those towns and put them at the "A" tournament.  You know those towns will be represented well as they have been in the past.  That tournament will draw a good crowd and do well financially.

Now lets say that Scranton, Center-Stanton, Ashley, Trenton, PBK, Parshall, Leeds-Minnewauken, and Richland all make the "B" tournament.  Those towns are all going to turn the lights out on the way to the tournament.  In my mind your claim holds no value.  Both tournaments might have a little less capacity than the current "B" tournament does.  But if you say each of those tournaments is at 80% of the current "B" then you have 160% more income than the current tournament has.  In other words a 60% increase in money earned.  Run the AA on one weekend with the A at the same time.  Then run the B on the next weekend.  The AA will have less than the rest but they do already, the A will draw well and the B will pack them in as they always have.

Sending 24 teams to a state tournament makes more sense than sending 16 each year.  With the current setup there are certain towns that will never make the B tournament.  Isn't that the same reason we now have a 64 team NCAA tournament?  It wasn't always 64 teams.  Allow more towns an opportunity to qualify for a state tournament. 

If you think I'm a Class B fan then you are right, but I am a former Class A player and have lots of feelings on how good the current A game is, but look at what we get in A.  There are 22 teams or so in A right now, and 8 get to the tournament.  That's a 36% chance of making state.  In B we have 130 teams roughly, and 8 make state.  That is a 6% chance of making the tournament.  That means for all of you bad at math, that the A teams have a 6 time better chance of making the state tournament.

I'm from a class A town and team and that just isn't an even formula.  Something has got to change, and moving the private schools up isn't the answer.
xcolt90

PreviousNext

Return to Boys