Re-Seeding for the State Tournament?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ND_SportsNut » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:14 am

Does anyone have any thoughts about re-seeding or ranking the teams come state tournament time? For example what if two teams were far and away the best teams in the state and they happened to play at 1:00 on Thursday, just because thats how the Regions matched up. Although it does usually work out as it did this year.
ND_SportsNut

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:19 am

I'm not for telling a group of kids, who worked their tails off to get to state, they are not as good as this team or that team.  Once you get to state, the slate is clean and every body is equal.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 am

I think they should seed the teams.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Y-not Daily » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:07 am

It's just too tough, IMO.
Look at a team like PBK. Very good team, came in to the tourney undefeated and took sixth.
Most people would have ranked them pretty high as they were undefeated going in and in reality they were probably the fourth best team in the tourney.
Who would do the rankings?
Neither the coaches or the media know enough about other regions to make those determinations. Certainly, the NDHSAA has no clue.
Y-not Daily

Postby Ming01 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:56 pm

Y-not Daily wrote:It's just too tough, IMO.
Look at a team like PBK. Very good team, came in to the tourney undefeated and took sixth.
Most people would have ranked them pretty high as they were undefeated going in and in reality they were probably the fourth best team in the tourney.
Who would do the rankings?
Neither the coaches or the media know enough about other regions to make those determinations. Certainly, the NDHSAA has no clue.

Well it wouldn't be any different then the NCAA tournament with the seeds and all.
Last edited by Ming01 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Perles » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:57 pm

I totally agree with nativegolfer.  Winning a regional tournament is extremely difficult, and after that goal is completed they go on to state.  Each team's slate is basically wiped clean when they step on the court on Thursday, throwing any rankings out the door.  Besides rankings are just opinions of sports writers, they are not 100% accurate in the regular season either.  To be the best, you must beat the best...no matter what round it is.
Perles
NDPreps Reserve

Postby xcolt90 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:25 am

They seed in wrestling.

The best thing I've heard is have each region get 2 teams to state.  Then have a first round on Tuesday or Wednesday with 16 teams involved.  The winners would get to be in the actual tournament starting on Thursday and the losers would be done.  That is actually being talked about amongst people in the state and the NDHSAA.

Wrestling coaches from each region meet after their regionals and do a seeding meeting for the state tournament of each weight class.

South Dakota has some sort of seeding system in place that ranks each team.  I'm sure we could come up with something.  Maybe even strength of schedule or something like that.
xcolt90

Return to Boys