Mr. Basketball Finalists

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bball4life » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:22 pm

Does any one know the finalists for mr.basketball?
bball4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby iluv4winds » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:26 pm

I heard they will be announced officially tommorow morning.

1.  Travis Mertens

2.  Erdmann

3.  Payton Tivis

4.  Jaden Voth
iluv4winds
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bball4life » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:33 pm

Yep, very good list of players there. Is the max they can take is 4? Because i was surprized that, that smith kid didnt make it. since he led the state in scoring and was senior of the year too  but i guess that would have been 3 kids from region 7
bball4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:45 pm

rep do you know how many media members vote for mr. basketball? Is their more from the east that vote then the west media vice versa? Both class A players are from the east, and both class B kids are from the west. Should be interesting how the west media votes for the A kids.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:48 pm

i believe we had 12 people at the meeting tonight. it was probably split pretty equally...fargo was there, mayville, forks, jamestown, minot, bismarck, williston, dickinson, i think a guy from devils lake if not the devils lake area...i think all the major cities except for valley city and williston were there.
rep

Postby ndfan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:50 pm

So only 12 people voted for mr. basketball tonight?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:52 pm

note: all the major cities except for valley city and wahpeton...not williston. there was a good mix. couple tv guys, couple print guys, couple radio guys. good discussion on the players.
rep

Postby rep » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:53 pm

not voted on the award itself, but the finalists. and it probably isn't fair to say that 12 voted. every person that brought up a candidate had talked quite a few coaches and gave their input as well as their own on the kids.
rep

Postby ndfan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:01 pm

[user=267]rep[/user] wrote:
not voted on the award itself, but the finalists. and it probably isn't fair to say that 12 voted. every person that brought up a candidate had talked quite a few coaches and gave their input as well as their own on the kids.

Sounds good to me, when will the final vote be made on it? Have ya made your final decision who your gonna vote for?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:09 pm

i think we have until friday at noon (?) to turn our ballots into scooter persley (sp) of the associated press. then i think friday night they will tabulate our ballots along with the internet voting for media and stuff that aren't at the tourney.

i have a pretty good idea who i'm voting for. before i left for bismarck today i talked with the sun editor and our other sports writer, the guy who covers class a, and we pretty much came to a consensus.

tough year to pick candidates though, let me tell ya. there are a lot of kids from around the state that have some pretty impressive numbers. as a side note i think i've been dreading putting together our newspaper's all-area team for about a month now. already i know i'm going to be excluding kids that are worthy in order to keep to 15. same goes for all-state on friday. not looking forward to that meeting at all. every region has 4 or 5 really strong kids (if not more) and we'll have to chop that down to 15. sheesh.

so in order to beat the stress i'm chewing sunflower seeds like a mad man while i'm playing mvp 2005 in my hotel room right next to my trusty laptop.
rep

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:11 pm

So how did you become a person that gets to pick for mr basketball?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:12 pm

got a job with a newspaper's sports department.
rep

Postby ndfan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:14 pm

Speaking of all state do they have a 2nd team all state? I know football has it, I don't think basketball does but maybe they do. Would having a second team all state be a good idea?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:15 pm

yup...there is a first team (5 players) and a second team (10 players unless there are ties and then all the ties get in.

i think there were 16 players on the girls' all state team this year because of a tie...something like that.
rep

Postby rep » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:33 pm

and in all seriousness...look at region 7...two mr. basketball finalists and one kid that was left off...but will the rest of the state want to vote for three kids in one region for first team (considering the one that wasn't mr. baskteball led the state in scoring, it should be interesting). last year i had a sense of what to expect from players being named to which team. this year it is completlely up in the air.
rep

Postby rep » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:42 pm

with regards to the mpcg and pbk game...it could have some all-state ramifications. if lorenz outplays florhaug or florhaug outplays lorenz, i could see some voters, especially those out west who may not have gotten a chance to see either play until now, be swayed. all the more reason why that game is going to be a freakin great way to kick off the tourney.
rep

Postby rep » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:51 pm

i've been about ready to wet myself with the matchups this game has. lorenz and florhaug should be an absolute treat. maybe nick bata on mpcg's 6-6 kid, baldwin. in the region championship bata played lamoure's michael arndt amazingly tough though giving up something like 4 inches and probably 60 pounds. the kid is a leaper.

maybe pbk will have jarvis kramer on baldwin though...kramer is a little more physical a post player while bata is an absolute skywalking athletic type.

i think the guards on both teams will cancel each other out...but those forwards, man can they all get the job done.

the game itself too...i haven't really felt like pbk has had a real legit chance of losing until the region championship and now this game has my mind spinning on all the different ways it could go. before the region tournament i didn't think that pbk could succeed if they weren't running. but the last two games of the region they worked almost exclusively out of a slower tempo set.

only 13 hours to go...
rep

Postby bball4life » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:41 pm

Hey rep, does it go 5 all state first team selections for a and b or a and b combined? 
Last edited by bball4life on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bball4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:20 pm

Smith led the state in scoring? What did he average? On ndhsaa.com it says that Beau Sizer from BCN averaged 26.2 ppg. If Jeff Smith averaged more than that I think he should have definetely been a Mr. Basketball candidate.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby West Dakota » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:33 am

[font=Times New Roman]Smith averaged 30 or 31 someting like that "I really liked watching him play, heck he had 24 at regionals hobbling around on a sprained ankle!". [/font]

[font=Times New Roman]Voth averaged a 26 also, but from what I've heard is that Tivis is going to get Mr. basketball this year. I don't believe it myself but I guess we'll have to see. I would think the kid from DL or Voth would have a better chance but I guess we will see.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]“Jaden is a heck of a player, he’s the most athletic kid I’ve ever seen in this region"[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]And that's what the head coach from Bowman said in the Dickinson press.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=13023&SectionID=30&SubSectionID=87&S=1[/font]

Just saw in todays paper the finalist are

Voth 25.7ppg 6rpg 3apg 3spg

Tivis 24ppg 6.5rpg 2.5apg 2.5spg

Mertens 21.6ppg 13.6rpg 2.2bpg 2.1apg

Erdmann 20.5ppg 8.7rpg 3apg

Good group of boys! Smith should be in there also.:( But I'v gotta go for Jaden!;)

West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby theefollman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:58 am

I have heard from a group of guys that played AAU that Voth is a great player and 25.7 points per game is pretty darn good. Erdmann had a decent overall year capped off with a state title so that is a little more media for the guy. Mertens however is just a freak on the court. He put up 38 points and pulled down 21 boards against Erdmanns team in Regionals. It was just too bad that the team didnt come to play. I have a question, does stats from years past count too. If so Mertens has averaged around 19 points in 3 years at Devils Lake. He not only did that but he had 1400 points and pulled down over 500 boards or maybe it was over 600. I am from DL and im not saying he is going to get it because it will be a close race but that is my best bet on who is going to get it. He is all around a great athlete and showed that on the football field this year too.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby theefollman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:19 am

Smith is in it so who cares anymore.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rainmaker » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:41 am

Rep- I have a question for you... Do you know what the criteria is for Mr. Basketball, like does it include grades, and community invovlement, or is it strictly basketball??  I'm just really curious what the criteria is for voting, and what they all take into account during the voting.  I've asked other people, and no one seems to know the answer, so your help would be greatly appreciated. :)
rainmaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rainmaker » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:22 pm

Goatboy- why did you change your name?:)  Just wondering;)

Are you going to be taking pictures of the State Tourney??
rainmaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:35 pm

the voting...probably the best way to describe it is this: me, personally, i don't care if a kid does anything outside of play basketball. i don't care if he cured cancer or if he prefers monopoly over mousetrap. if a kid can play, i go by that.

i try and talk to some coaches and get their feelings and i ask some of the media guys who have seen more than one game of a player. the majority of the media guys have been watching basketball for longer than 10 years and have a pretty good sense of a player being all-state good or mr. basketball good. because i'm kind of new i tend to trust their judgtement as i get my feet wet.

for some guys, that extracuricular stuff means more to determine their vote. i think that it might be important if it comes down to a tie. for me personally, i don't allow it to get to a tie. if i need something besides what the player has done on the court to make my decision for me, i feel like i'm not doing my job as trying to analyze a player.

it should be noted that some extra curiculars can get you disqualified. if a player gets an mip or mic or has a major run-in with the law, then he won't be in the running for mr. basketball. i don't think that disqualifies a player from all-state though.

as a side note though, you can really pull your hair out trying to analyze players. especially when you consider if a player has no talent around him...a little talent around him...a lot...playing at a class b school with a 100-plus enrollment of pool to draw from or 1,000. for me that doesn't mean as much (class a or class b)...talent is talent as far as i can tell. but some guys are die hard class a guys and some look at b more.

in the end, mr. basketball is the average of all these people, so basically one person can't scorn a person into no awards. i suppose a group of people can try to, but basically that does nothing but cheapen the award itself, so as far as i've seen that doesn't happen.
rep

Next

Return to Boys