Mr. Basketball Finalists

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby yiddog » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:19 pm

how is jeff smith not a candidate? he lead the state in scoring with 27.5 points a game? who picks these players anyway?
yiddog
NDPreps Rookie

Postby yiddog » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:27 pm

i don't think the region the players are in should matter. if three players from region 7 are three of the best five players in the state, then they should be on the team plain and simple. 
yiddog
NDPreps Rookie

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:52 am

I did get to the first games yesterday "after waiting in line forever" that was a complete joke! It took 55 minutes to get into the game so I missed most of the first half:X:X:X. I guess I changed the name for the photo business.

Here are a couple, I need to get some sleep. Sure wish I could go to the games tonight! Sure going to be some battles of completly different teams. I'm going for the underdog Shiloh since I have kin playing!

Bata tells Gerszewski to get it out of here.

Last edited by West Dakota on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:56 am

I used to do the same thing with my tongue back in the day, funny I didn't bite it off!
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:59 am

Nathaniel Packineau drives " these boys are talented and they're only juniors."
Last edited by West Dakota on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:00 am

Bachmeier for three.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:02 am

Bata playing above the rim.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:03 am

Lorenz and Bata goig for the rebound.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:04 am

Lorenz dives for the save.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:07 am

Bearstail tries to block Neil Packineau.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:10 am

Florhaug on the drive.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:14 am

Lorenz goes up strong.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:46 am

I didn't notice Smith's name in the box scores for some district and regional games.  What happened?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDScout » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:44 am

He hurt his foot/ankle the first quarter of his first distric game,  didnt play the rest of the tourny,  he played hurt in regionals but lost their first game and has 20 some points
NDScout

Postby bball4life » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:21 am

Yes, during the first three minutes of the first, district game smith torn some ligaments in his foot. Then sat out the district championship. Then showed alot of heart playing against killdeer. It looked like he was in a lot of pain yet he kept playing and  and finish with 24.
bball4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bball4life » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:25 am

I just feel bad for him because he got punished by being in the same region with payton and voth and thats not far im sorry. pick the kids how they can play not where they are from. Hopefully he doesnt get punished the same and not be all state this year. And another thing to remeber is smith played since eighth grade varsity ball just like voth and his career average was 19 points. thats tough
Last edited by bball4life on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
bball4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bball4life » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:31 am

SCC wrote:I think part of the problem with Region 7 is that the offensive numbers are a little deceiving.  I think that's a region that's less defense-oriented than some of the other regions.  To pick finalists for an award, looking at straight numbers only is a bad idea.  The intangibles must also be taken into account.

Sorry Scc Region 7 would have to be the Toughest region in state. how could you say it is less defense-oriented? Trinity will show you and bowman would have too if  they could have made state. I bet trinity wins state and bowman would have been tops in the state tourny too.
bball4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rainmaker » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:24 am

SCC- Are you serious, you think Region 7 isn't as defense-orientated as other regions???  You must not have been to very many games, if any.  How many points did Minot Ryan have against Trinity lastnight??  It memory serves me right, not very many.  Also, a quite a few of the region games were quite low scoring.
rainmaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:43 am

No doubt, I like FW game but they are in for a rude awakening tonight . It won't be easy, these Dickinson kids have been there the last 4 years. Ryan sure didn't impress me last night, heck there were about 3-4 teams in region 7 that gave Dickinson a much tougher fight. I hope FW is hitting on on cyliders tonight and gives them a run for their money!
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PBKfan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:37 am

I heard that Tivis broke Bowman's all-time scoring record which was somewhere in the 1600. So he porbably finished in the higher 1700's for his career. Not only that but he get 8 or 9 boards a game and at least 4 or 5 assists pergame. I believe that if he hadn't hurt his foot last summer that he would have been even better. And you can't get much better than those stats. I was at the Region 7 championship, and at the end of the game you could tell Tivis wanted it more than anyone else. He picked Kiethley's pocket 3 or 4 times in the last 2 minutes of the game.
Last edited by PBKfan on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PBKfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PBKfan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:41 am

trinity played tuff huh.
PBKfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rainmaker » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:28 am

Yeah I agree....I also think Tivis' stats could have been higher too, but he was on a great team...I mean Pauley is also another big name in the state and quite often had 20 some points a game.  The ball had to be shared amongst everyone unlike some of the other one-man teams who didn't have to worry about getting the ball around. I also agree...I was at the championship too and he seemed to have such heart and wanted it so bad even to the end, when it appeared others may have given up.  He looked like he was trying to do everything in his power to change the tides. Unfortunately....it didn't end up in Bowman's favor as we all know.
rainmaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby theefollman » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:49 am

lets put it this way. Tivis yes is a good player but Mertens and erdmann have a better shot at winning it because they got way more attention than Tivis did because he lives down in the southwest part of the state. The eastern part of the state always has a lot of attention. Its just the way it is. The class B drought without a Mr Basketball I believe will stay alive until atleast next year.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby UNC1 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:56 pm

congrats to Mertens. but if u look at Tivis 4 years in high school he should of won. and plus his senior season he played on a broken foot
Last edited by UNC1 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNC1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rainmaker » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:10 pm

Thats too bad that an award that says you are the best basketball player in the state only takes into account one season.  Especially, when the award is given to a Senior, at the end of their career.  Needless to say, every one of the nominees had outstanding Senior seasons, but it is hard to totally skip over the years that led up to that Senior year.  Those are the years in which the player is made.  And, yes, I am aware that the award is based on their 'Senior' season, but I am just saying that the approach does not take into account the whole picture.  Would Michael Jordan have been named "Mr. Basketball" in his last season in the NBA?  Probably not.  That just proves that anyone can win when it's based on just ONE year.  But, when you look at the overall picture (all 4 years of high school) the end result is much more justified.  By the way, I think MJ would have won if the criteria included EVERY year he played, and not just ONE!!  :)
rainmaker
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys