Another Idea; Switching from 4 quarters to 2 halves!?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:26 am

I was watching Mn high school boys basketball on the local cable channel in Anoka and noticed that they played two halves rather than 4 quarters, So I asked myself, Self, Do you think that playing 2 halves would be better than playing 4 quarters? 

I would be curious to what others might think, am I the only one thinking this way?
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby jimmie44 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:14 am

I don't think it would be a bad idea.  Minnesota schools do use 2 halves instead of quarters, as do colleges.  Its not really a big adjustment coming from H.S. games to college games as far as that is concerned though.  Playing a full 16 or 20 minute half as opposed to 8 minute quarters really does allow a team who has momentum to keep it going. 
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:17 am

There would definately have to be a shot clock, I guess it would be pretty boring to watch a team hold the ball for twenty minutes also!  So I would think if there were two halves, there would need to be a shot clock! 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby jimmie44 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:19 am

I concur :D
jimmie44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:46 am

But it is not a bad Idea though!  You are right, it would add extra minutes for reserves.  Maybe try it on the Class A level first
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby faze_55 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:33 pm

I play basketball in minnesota.  I am not a huge fan of it, unless you get more conditioned because you dont get that break as you would in quaters.  Thats my personal opinion. 
faze_55
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bisonman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:41 am

Let's just increase 4-5-6 grade ball to 8 minute quarters also. Everyone should play like colleges do so that the 1 in 500 players that do play at collegate are ready.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:05 am

Or it will give the kids more playing time.  And yeah, lets get those kids that do go on prepared.  So what if it is one out of 500 hundred like you say, goes on, what makes it ok to not prepare those kids.  They all have the oppritunity to go on, just cause some don't lets not prepare others that do!  I would rather have kids prepared to go on to college than not!  Why not stop education at 8th grade, that is enough to get people by, High school prepares kids to go on to the next level in education, why not sports?  I am all for giving the kids more oppritunity!  If things need to change to do that, than I am all for it!
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:41 am

Jumping from High School(quarters) to College(halves) was easy for me to do. Its not much of a change. A little less legs in the second half but thats why you condition. 
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:44 am

NATURAL TALENT wrote:Jumping from High School(quarters) to College(halves) was easy for me to do. Its not much of a change. A little less legs in the second half but thats why you condition. 

That is true too, Just found that interesting to see High Schools doing that in MN.  Also just thought that NDHSAA needs to update sports. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby xcolt90 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:30 am

Minnesota went to it because the basketball coaches argued that their sport had the lowest time of competition among the team sports.  Hockey had 45 minutes and Football had 48 minutes as compared to basketball having 32 minutes.  That's why the halves are 18 minutes each. 

The other factor was the playing time and the focus on making the bench be used more.  That meant the most complete team (starters and bench) would be a factor in who won the game.

I like the idea and would like to see ND go to it.  I also agree a shot clock would be needed.  I think the shot clock should be added regardless of what we do with halves.
xcolt90

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:34 am

xcolt90 wrote:Minnesota went to it because the basketball coaches argued that their sport had the lowest time of competition among the team sports.  Hockey had 45 minutes and Football had 48 minutes as compared to basketball having 32 minutes.  That's why the halves are 18 minutes each. 

The other factor was the playing time and the focus on making the bench be used more.  That meant the most complete team (starters and bench) would be a factor in who won the game.

I like the idea and would like to see ND go to it.  I also agree a shot clock would be needed.  I think the shot clock should be added regardless of what we do with halves.

Well Put!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Boys