Weight Training

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Rebel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:36 pm

With the talk in one of the other threads I thought it would be interesting to talk about weight training in class B basketball.  To me it is obvious being from the west that the boys from Trinity are just flat out bigger and stronger than almost all the kids they play.  This is obviously from hard work in the weight room.  I can remember 10 years ago you really would not hear about class B kids hitting the weights hard for hoops.  Now it seems like all the good teams are really bulking up.  I think alot of kids are lifting weights year round and the teams that do this are becoming very succesful in hoops, not just football and track.

What does everyone think.  Does anyone know about the teams in the state B?  Are these programs big into the weights?

Very Curious
North Dakota Preps Hall of Fame Inductee
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby burner555 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:57 pm

well first of all it is up to the kids if they want to put in the work.  which in many cases they dont.  they have better stuff to do then to lift weights. 
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:10 am

Burner555
"are we seriously starting to get into kids lifting weights? You guys are really starting to get deep. Lifting weights does not make a great bb team."

I will disagree with you to a point. Weight lifting can help make a better bb team, but there a lot more things that have to go into making a great bb team. If I was a coach i would want my kids in the weight room as much as possible. JMO
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:13 am

I am a strong believer in weight training.  I remember not too long ago, it was believed to "mess up your shot!"  But you take a look at college programs, they implement weight training, in fact it gives you a stronger shot.  I think the old style of thinking is still going on in Class B basketball. 

Weight training alone will not make you a better basketball team, but it will make you a stronger one.  But you put togather good coaching and strong kids it makes for a heck of a team!

You take a look at top college and pro basketball players, they spend a lot of time in the gym lifting weights.  They are not doing it to impress the chicks, ok maybe a little, but they are there to make their game better.  Kobe or Labron they squat well over 400 lbs, and they can jump out of the building  Shaq benches well over 350 lbs, makes him a strong inside presents.  Yeah he does have size, but he got that way through weights, not born that way.  He is about 50 lbs heavier than when he first came in the league.   

I think coaches should implement weight training when kids hit freshman.  If anything, it would promote a healthy lifestyle.  Just wished I would have when I where a freshman! :strong:
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:18 am

Amen Indians Alumni
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbjay » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:26 am

I agree that kids should lift weights.  It may not make your team better, but it can be a great equalizer on the court in areas such as rebounding and conditioning.   Plus, its good for your health.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:50 am

How many class B schools have a legit weight room?

I don't mean a universal in the corner of the stage or basement.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:22 am

I guess that is another concern but make it open to the public at night for a fee or a membership and it will help pay for the exercise room.  It would be tough for smaller schools, but it is already tough anyway, some have to travel anyway to get to a gym.  Schools that Co-op can arange to have the weightroom in a central location.  There are also grants out there that will help with costs of a weightroom. 
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby B » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:30 am

In my opinion, if your not weight training your not giving your kids the best chance at reaching their potential.

The added benefits of being quicker, jumping higher, confidence,  flexibility gains, reduction of injuries and coming back from injuries quicker...... should be enough.

If your not comfortable teaching it, find someone who is.

The best shooters we've had at our school in the past six years have been some of the best workers in the weightroom. 
B

Postby Batman » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:32 am

Along the same lines I'm curious about who has taken part in performance acceleration programs and their opinions on them. 

Also which communities in ND have good programs for sports acceleration.  I've heard that Fargo has Frappier acceleration, which it supposed to be very good.
Last edited by Batman on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:33 am

Bismarck has a really good sports acceleration program at the Human Peformance Center.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Rebel » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:11 am

I know that Dickinson has acceleration, but not sure if it is Frapier acceleration or another form of it
North Dakota Preps Hall of Fame Inductee
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby 643master » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:27 am

I know Mayville has or had a great guy in the weight room that would be there before and after school helping kids lift weights in there weight room.  They have put some money into it and it looks like its paying off.  If you look at their players you can bet they will have 10-20 pounds of muscle on most of their counter parts.  I know the Fyre kid from Mayville all 5'8" of him lifts likes its his job.  Last time I heard he was squating 450+ and benching around 300.   I've seen him many of times get fouls for pushing a kid and the kid going flying outta the way, so burner555 theres a down fall for lifting, other then that, lifting will only help you.
"A somebody was once a nobody who wanted to and did." - Anonymous
643master
NDPreps Reserve

Postby B » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:40 am

We had 13 athletes from our school attend Frappier Acc. last summer.(Some did 1/2 sessions),  In coaching multiple sports I've seen these kids make awesome gains.  (Balance, coordination, speed and jumping ability.)  I was driving for some of those kids and I recognized many athletes from area schools too.  It's a great program!!!

I recommend it over football and basketball camps.  (The kids do have to keep working out after they are done to maintain the gains they made!!!)

Jamestown has a program too.  (Frappier.... I believe)
B

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:44 am

Weight training in sports goes hand in hand!  Even Golfers are lifting weights and strength training.  Tiger Woods is a good example.  Accelleration Camps are God's gift to sports!!!  I would recommend sending kids in any sports through the program or even bring someone in to put on a clinic or seminar for about a week, it can be just a general session.  Not sports specific. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby under armour » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:54 am

Dickinson has the Frapier acceleration which is a great thing for the kids in the summer. I am not sure on the numbers of the years but I know they get a good number from Trinity every year. I know that some devoted kids from Bowman, Richarton, Mott, and New England also drive that drive to come and work out. BW
under armour
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:47 am

Lifting during season will screw up your shot. I know this from experience. Offseason, do all the training you want.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:54 am

Going and maxing out every day will screw up your shot but in-season lifting does not.  Have you looked around the country and noticed that BBall players are getting bigger and stronger.  Guys are still shooting the lights out.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:14 am

Many Colleges and Bigger High Schools across the country implement Strength training, and it does not screw up your shot.  If you go out and max out every time you are lifting for the wrong sport.  Strength training does not include maxing out in season.  Kids are bigger and stronger than they used to be, I think this is due to the advancement in sports medicine and nutrition and implementation of strength training.  I know from experience that lifting weights made me a better inside presents and a longer range shooter.  Even Cross Country teams are strength training.  Strength training will not bulk you up, it will not make you look like a man (for you women) You are only strengthening the muscles you have, not bulking them up.  That is what one rep max workouts due!
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:09 am

Here's an interesting site for calculating your one rep max.

http://www.joeskopec.com/repmax.html
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby B » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:32 am

You do need to keep shooting while you are lifting. 

It would be best to start both prior to the first day of basketball practice.  Heck, shooting can effect your shooting.  (should be positively)

I know for a fact that the kids that "played" for Trinity this year lifted during the season.   
B

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:08 pm

bisonman wrote:Lifting during season will screw up your shot. I know this from experience. Offseason, do all the training you want.

lifting during the season doesnt mess up anything, your just have to know what to lift and how many times
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:16 pm

Yeah thats exactly right.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbb » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:35 pm

No it doesn't.  Not if the weight lifting is consistent.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:02 am

There are different types of training for different sports.  There is also different types of training in each individual sport, during the course of the season.  There off season lifting, usually strenght training, you can get away with minimal cardio and eating less healthy foods.  Then Pre Season is geared more towards the types of lifts that are specific for that sport, and cardio is more involved, along with a healthier diet.  Then you have inseason lifting which is usually light and repetitious. 

This holds true to not only basketball, but all sports. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys