Weight Training

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby dlsiouxfan » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:06 pm

In season lifting should be more of a maintenance phase where you lift lighter loads and more reps in order to maintain the strength you've built in the offseason.  It's impossible to build strength during a season anyways because the heavy lifting required to built muscle and the strain of a long basketball season puts too much strain on the body to build muscle.  It can also lead to injuries.  Understanding that most high school athletes are playing seasons year round you're best off with a nice even workout schedule.  Moderate weight and moderate amount of reps, maybe go a little heavier between seasons but remember you're body needs a week off from time to time.  Weight training when done right does wonders for the body.
dlsiouxfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Wombat » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:29 am

Being from Cavalier originally and now being in Mayville I know that both of these schools have weight rooms and the kids in both towns are getting pretty serious about using them. I think that the success in both towns speaks for itself. Cavalier and MPCG are year in and year out contenders in almost every sport. Do you think its just a rash of good luck? I don't. I think that they are most likely working a little harder and doing a few more things than some of the other schools.

Also, I never played basketball for my school, but I often played in the pick-up games with the kids who did. I know that many of the kids who lifted weights were as good, or better than the ones who didn't. As far as messing up your shot, I could see it happening if you do a 1 1/2 hour weight session and then go grab a ball and shoot around right afterwards. You're going to be tired and fatigued before you begin and obviously you're not going to perform as well. But if you Lift in the morning or after practices, and like previously mentioned, you aren't maxing out everytime in the weight room, you will not mess up your shot. Michael Jordan lifted weights every day... ALL YEAR LONG
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndsubball » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:47 am

lifting weights i think could screw up your shot but if you lift one day go and shoot after you get done lifting because then you will get use to lifting and then shooting and shouldnt screw up your shot
ndsubball

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:39 am

ndsubball wrote:lifting weights i think could screw up your shot but if you lift one day go and shoot after you get done lifting because then you will get use to lifting and then shooting and shouldnt screw up your shot

Lifting weights does not screw up your shot!  It makes you stronger at what you already have in technique.  It is good to pick up a ball once and and a while and work on your shot, but lifting chest then trying to shoot, have you tried that.  It only screws up your technique, cause you are trying to compensate for not being able to reach the basket due to fatigue.  Shooting immediately after lifting will screw up your technique, cause you are trying to compensate for fatigued muscles.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:08 pm

[user=232]Indians Alumni[/user] wrote: 

Shooting immediately after lifting will screw up your technique, cause you are trying to compensate for fatigued muscles.

Exactly. Not a good idea to practice your game after you've been hitting the weights.

NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby BBHoopz » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:44 pm

I'm going to have to disagree. To say that you shouldn't shoot around or practice after lifting weights is wrong. I can vouch for many years of experience, and yes it is difficult to lift and then to shoot or play, but it is actually good for you. By shooting/playing after lifting, you're not only stretching your muscles, you are also enhancing muscle memory, developing a stronger/more accurate shot, and getting a cardio workout at the same time. At first it is very difficult to shoot around after lifting, but by starting close to the basket and working your way out, in a week or so you will be used to it. And the benefits will speak for themselves when you increase your range and accuracy, on top of the benefits of lifting. Not only do professional athletes lift and then shoot/play, college athletes do as well.
BBHoopz
NDPreps Rookie

Previous

Return to Boys