one of the classiest things i've seen

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rep » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:07 pm

after the region 3 championship game was done, p-b-k fans rush the court. amid the madness, ross florhaug leaves the celebration and goes to the lamoure coaches/bench and shakes hands with them and tries to console some of the players that are breaking up because of the loss.

for a player that has known the bad side of a loss not to get swept up in the jubilation of a victory, absolutely, that moment is what is right about athletics.
rep

Postby Dr. JA » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:23 pm

Too darn bad Trinity knows nothing of the sort. Those fans were probably the most unruly and disrespectful people I've ever seen in my life. I do hope they straighten up their act, and when they're getting beat by Botteneau, I hope they know better than to cheer, "Over-rated".
Dr. JA
NDPreps Rookie

Postby theefollman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:30 pm

what was the final score of the bottineau game? and how many did kirby johnson have?

theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:30 pm

How is cheering overrated classless?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby theefollman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:37 pm

I believe cheering over rated in High School sports is really stupid personally. Noone from North Dakota is a pro and its not like every team is going to blow out there opponents every time. If you are beating a team that is ranked ahead of you congrats on that. Its been done and seen many times and if you have to chant over rated than you have just shown that you must not be a very good team and havent won a lot of games. I disagree with people saying that sportsmanship is the number one thing but over rated is a really OVER RATED chant. Show some class in sports and when you beat a team than you can celebrate afterwards. Another thing is if you chant over rated when you are losing to the team you are chanting it to than what the heck is the point in it. Your still losing. You cant tell me that this year hasnt been a wierd year for twists and turns in sports. Look at Mayport-C-G they lost to thompson this year and than in regionals they stomped them. So are they still over rated.....No, they just had a bad game. Noone is a professional here and so that means no one team or person is going to beable to light it up every night. You dont see it being done in the pros anyways do you.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 pm

Sorry but I disagree with you.
Last edited by Ming01 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndtaterman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:48 pm

Ross Florhaug is a classact player.  He deserves to be an allstate first team selection.

End of the Story!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by ndtaterman on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndtaterman
NDPreps Starter

Postby supermang57 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:54 am

theefollman wrote:I believe cheering over rated in High School sports is really stupid personally. Noone from North Dakota is a pro and its not like every team is going to blow out there opponents every time. If you are beating a team that is ranked ahead of you congrats on that. Its been done and seen many times and if you have to chant over rated than you have just shown that you must not be a very good team and havent won a lot of games. I disagree with people saying that sportsmanship is the number one thing but over rated is a really OVER RATED chant. Show some class in sports and when you beat a team than you can celebrate afterwards. Another thing is if you chant over rated when you are losing to the team you are chanting it to than what the heck is the point in it. Your still losing. You cant tell me that this year hasnt been a wierd year for twists and turns in sports. Look at Mayport-C-G they lost to thompson this year and than in regionals they stomped them. So are they still over rated.....No, they just had a bad game. Noone is a professional here and so that means no one team or person is going to beable to light it up every night. You dont see it being done in the pros anyways do you.

look at velve botno, in the regular season velva stomped botno, by 21, and then in districts they velva lost by 3, so people do have off nights, its all a matter of someone else ont he team steping up to fill the void.
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lefty » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:05 am

botno did not win their region, i hate to say it but minot ryan spanked them.
Last edited by lefty on Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:33 pm

The Devils Lake announcer showed 0 class in trying to make an announcement to have everyone clear the floor about 2 minutes after the Four Winds Indians were done playing cat-n-mouse with the Langdon Cardinals to earn the first ever state tournament berth by a Four Winds High School Basketball team.  Noone can tell me that these people running the tournament are not aware that this is bigtime history being made by a local community that is only 13 miles away.  Nobody cares if you hold off the awards for 5-10 minutes while they celebrate this wonderful event.  I would have liked to see that announcer swallow that mic, even when we were trying to celebrate he almost seemed annoyed by the uproar and joy of the Indians fans.  Shame on you.  No class whatsoever.

On the other hand it was a celebration like this venue has never see before, it was unbelievable to watch the Indians fans rush the court and lift up the players, it was beautiful to see the elders of the Spirit Lake community joining hands and starting a round dance with the players joining soon after.  To heck with class that was culture, that was love, that was community, that was Indian pride.  Hoka Hoka everybody dance!!

The Natural
4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Postby bball3 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:07 pm

ndtaterman wrote:Ross Florhaug is a classact player.  He deserves to be an allstate first team selection.

End of the Story!!!!!!!!!!

yes he might be but that was very unclassy in my mind with the t-shirts already made before the game.  i talked to a player and a parent from lamoure and they were in disgust about that yes they are a great team and deserved to win just as much but that was not a class act.  sorry pbk you can get shirts after you win but that is just showing up a team
bball3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bluedevilbball » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:50 pm

the shirts didn't come out until we won if we would of lost i guess we would have some good shop rags
bluedevilbball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bball3 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:21 pm

it shows up another team big time disrespect to all the players from lamoure im sorry but thats not cool
bball3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndtaterman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:42 pm

So what your saying is nobody ever has any shirts or caps made before a game.  When a team wins the Super Bowl  or the final four,  they never slap a shirt or a hat on that says they won.    If they lose they stay in the bag. I guess I have never heard anybody say anything was wrong with that in the media.  Its a celebration nite with no disrespect intended.  There will be 300 of the shirts out in 4 days,  is that wrong???   Sounds to me like somebodys a sore loser..   It was one of the greatest games in Region 3 history.  Why take anything away from it?
ndtaterman
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndtaterman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:49 pm

And another thing.........................there is NO DISRESPECT for the LaMoure team whatsover with the PBK team or fans.  We are just as sad as they are for not going to State.  It's too bad that 2 good teams happen to be in the same region! We would have loved to see them go to State over a few teams that are getting to go.
Last edited by ndtaterman on Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndtaterman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Batman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:19 pm

You can't really stop fans from making up a couple T-shirts.  If the school provided them I'd be a pretty upset but it sounds like some of the fans just wanted to show their appreciation and excitment.  Unfortunately it probably came across to LaMoure the wrong way, a sign of overconfidence. 
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby bluedevilbball » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:57 am

I agree with taterman Lamoure is a good team and wasn't meant to disrespect them.  And that was one of the best games I have ever seen I do beleive we were on the opposite side of a last second shot in the championship game before and it does struggle.
bluedevilbball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bball3 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:05 am

totally is disrespect and yea thats the pros figure it out... total disrespect everyone but people from pbk thought it was disrespectful so thank you very much im not from lamoure and i thought it was pathetic along with all the other people in the building
bball3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:32 am

I'm sure PBK fans didn't bring out the t-shirts to be disrespectful. But I also don't think it was the right place to do it right after two very good teams gave everything they had by the sounds of it. Order the shirts early no problem with that, but find a better place to hand them out at. Have a pep rally the next night at your gym and celebrate and hand out stuff like that. Not in a gym where a lot of different emotions are running.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldmanBBall » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:39 am

First off..its not like they made the T-Shirts at the beginning of the basketball season..they made the shirts for the day their team was in the region championship game..is it wrong to have confidence in your team going to state for the first time ever??? Second, The shirts were made for celebration..not to taunt the other team..if PBK would have lost..the shirts would have never been shown and money would have been thrown away by the people who bought these shirts..Therefore, you should say that they had enough team spirit to buy the shirts.

PBK has made it to regions the last few years and the teams that have beat them have gotten a lot of glory for beating PBK, and finally..It's PBK's turn to shine.
Last edited by OldmanBBall on Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldmanBBall

Postby Batman » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Congratulations to P-B-K for and excellant effort.  But obviously some people were turned off by the T-shirt thing.   As an unbiased observer, it does sound a little insulting to me.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballuvr » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:30 pm

Regarding the T-shirts:

The game was a great one in many ways to say the least. A very good PBK team was a shot better. They are a fine Region champion. I do not think the shirts were meant to be disrespectful to the opponent. They were probably made out of some high hopes and great excitement and anticipation of a very fun celebration that could occur.

I have listened to a couple people who were a little taken aback by the shirts being on seconds after the win. I was in the middle of it and didn't think anything about it at that time. One person said to me that it was probably a little extra bummer for the LaMoure players to digest right after a tough loss. They are a tough group and can handle it. Nothing was said to my knowledge by any player about it at all.

I'm sure we all know that the PBK players and coaches had nothing to do with it. They were focused on the tourneys and nothing more. It was more than likely a couple or few fans and that is it.

Good luck to PBK at state.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Batman » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:39 pm

Well said,

I think its a non-issue at this point, time to focus on the job at hand.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:16 am

I am sure that PBK meant no disrespect to any team at all.  The T-shirt thing is a great idea!  If you don't win, burn the bag.  If you win, show your support!  And I believe that is showing support!  If the shirt said, Lamoure not cool or something like that, I would have to say that would be disrespectful, but if the shirts said Region champs, I see no wrong doing in that!!! 

Unfortunately I was not able to attend the Region 4 Championship, but I heard a lot about it.  I wished I would have been there to see my Community come togather like that, and for DL announcers to hurd everyone off the court, well that is not cool.  I have an issue with DL announcers anyway!  That is a whole new forum or even website.  This is a community that supports your town, let them celebrate.  If it was not for the Community of Fort Totten, I think DL business would be a little less profitable!  They were not trying to disrespect Langdon or anthing like that, they were celebrating a huge achievement!!!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:20 am

The announcers always do taht at the sport center, you get about 5 minutes to celebrate and then they ASK you to PLEASE clear the floor so they can hand out awards. They do it to every team that wins a tourney their. I was on many teams that won tourneys there and it happened every time.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys