Who loves warming up to "fishing in the dark??"

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:00 am

You can't tell me that high school kids today get fired up by listening to 'fishing in the dark', 'thunderstruck', 'we didn't start the fire', 'cotton eyed joe' etc.....  Come on, play some stuff that gets the blood flowing a little I know its not that big of a deal but after all the whole experience should be entertaining, at least the little girls at the Region 4 tourney were entertaining but the guy running the music bobbing his head to 'boot scoot-n-boogie' is really outdated and very 'jean jacket' of him.

I know there are more pertinent issues to discuss in these forums but what the heck, I'd like to hear some comments from other parts of the state and see what kind of production the other places put on and if they feel it adds a little pizazz to the atmosphere or not.

The Natural :strong:
4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:03 am

Music is an essential part of pre-game.  I don't "Cadillac, black jack, get down......." is going to get the kids ready for a game or even motivated.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:52 am

Personally, "Enter Sandman"  or "Jump Around"  get my basketball juices flowing.  And if I have to hear the "weeeee mummumawwayyy" song or whatever the heck the title is, at the DL sportscenter again, sombodies gettin hurt.:D  Hoka.  JL
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby bbjay » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:59 am

Call me old fashioned, but what ever happened to the band playing pregame?
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:26 am

I agree, what happened to high school bands, did they cut the programs.  How many high schools still have a pep band.  It is awesome to watch a college football game with the pep band playing in the background.  That is something that needs to be brought back!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:58 am

Boys, this isn't the seventies or eighties, things change and school bands just aren't "in" anymore.  I understand that you guys miss playing the Triangle or Cowbell but get with times!  Now that we have gooten rid of the bands we need to get rid of the cheerleaders next.  peace.  JL
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby bbjay » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:05 am

If the bands are there, that gets more kids to the game who maybe wouldn't have went in the first place (problems that were talked about in other posts).  This promotes school spirit, and this is something special class B has.  Losing the bands means we're taking one more step towards being more like class A.;)
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby J-Rod34 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:11 am

I agree I like listening to the bands instead of music over the PA system.
J-Rod34

Postby lambboy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:41 am

I wood have to say that rap gets the young gunz juices flowing and ready to play. that is the music now a days and their are some great rap warm up songs. heck, go to hettinger and listen to their come out song. it is by eminem. i wasnt even goin for hettinger and that even sent a chill down my back. it makes the atmosphere electrofying.
lambboy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:55 am

nativegolfer wrote:Boys, this isn't the seventies or eighties, things change and school bands just aren't "in" anymore.  I understand that you guys miss playing the Triangle or Cowbell but get with times!  Now that we have gooten rid of the bands we need to get rid of the cheerleaders next.  peace.  JL

Have you gone to a D-1 football game where the band still plays?  It is a big part of the game. i.e. Gophers games, the band is awesome and there is a feel about the game you get hearing the drums play.  You obviously have not played at the collegiate level, let alone the high school level when there is a good high school band playing.  Ok, now you are going overboard with trying to get rid of the cheerleaders now!  Come on, why not get rid of student managers too!!!?  That had to be a pretty ignorant statement for someone who has a master's degree!

When you say "in"  You tell me what is in, from your extensive knowledge and experience, John Mellencamp? I don't think so.
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:12 pm

I meant cheerleaders from HS games!  Most schools nowadays don't have cheerleaders anymore.  JL
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby supermang57 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:26 pm

there are still bands in the state, almost every district game i went to this year had a band playing from one of the schools, state girls also had a band most of the times, bands havent died, but in the smaller schools with the kids in band also being in sporting events, its hard to get the numbers out for there to be a half decent band playing 1/2 of the band might be busying playing C JV or the varsity games and the other 1/2 might be at girls bball pratice, the old days of the "jocks" and "band nerds" are over...the 2 are one in the same now
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:32 pm

All of the Class A schools still have a pep band.  I love going into a gym during pre game and hearing the sound of the band, it's loud and gets the players pumped up.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonman » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:21 pm

Class A schools do have sweet bands. I've been to some games in Jamestown and their pep band gets you going.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoops42 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:48 am

Hey maybe they read your post, because they didn't play anything too funky last night.
hoops42

Postby rainmaker » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:37 pm

Yeah, there's nothing quite like the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band to get you pumped for the game!!:)  I hear thats what all the high school kids are listening to these days!:D

rainmaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nativegolfer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:14 am

This one's for Big Shells.

nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Perles » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:11 pm

High school bands are very important to the games.  As are cheerleaders.  They may not seem like it to most people, but I've been to games without(& with of course) them and there is no comparison to a gym with a band and cheerleaders to that without.  It just takes the level of excitement for the players(noise) up another notch.  I am not against music over a PA system, but the musical choices are not right almost all the time.  We must keep the sporting experience complete.
Perles
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saas25 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:23 pm

I know this is the Basketball forum, but last year up in Williston for baseball they play the song Bicycle by Queen.  I don't care what sport it is, you shouldn't play that song unless maybe it's cycling.
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys