Coach of the Year? For Class B

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby monkeykiller_21 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:05 pm

I know it is hard to tell now but, what does everyone think about it?

monkeykiller_21

Postby ndtaterman » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:56 pm

Duke Larson                 PBK
ndtaterman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rebel » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:37 pm

So many good coaches out there....first let me say the Four Winds coach, just because he has done a great job, plus I beat all you four winds fans to the punch ;)

I know Linton probably won't make state, but Dann Carr has done a heck of a job again, going to the regionals with a below average talent team.

If Trinity makes state you have to think Gregg Grinsteiner. 

North Dakota Preps Hall of Fame Inductee
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballis#1 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:19 pm

What about Zenker from Bowman. The Dawgs are 20-1 and #1 in their region.
bballis#1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfan » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:36 pm

Dave Nelson is another to keep in mind at MPCG.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:18 am

Rebel wrote:So many good coaches out there....first let me say the Four Winds coach, just because he has done a great job, plus I beat all you four winds fans to the punch ;)

Hahaha, You did beat us to the punch.  I do agree though, to come out of "retirement" to coach this team the way he did, deserves some recognition.  He did get coach of the year for the district.  If he gets any recognition he definately deserves it. 

Good luck too All Teams in Regionals. 
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:45 am

Rick Smith- Four Winds High School for Coach of the Year.  Undefeated through Districts and showing no signs of slowing down, I think coach Smith has done a swell job and  why the heck shouldn't he get it?? 

The Natural
4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Postby littleman » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:13 pm

Zenker has turned the dawgs around since he came to bowman. They use to really struggle but since they came they have made it to 4 regionals that is really good. They also have a great chance of going to state so i would agree zenker would be a great coach
littleman
littleman
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bball » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:04 pm

Duke Larson PBK, has taken his team to the regionals 4 out of the 5 last years and the  championship 3 times last 5 years. Three years ago had a team that was 7-14 i think (something like that) which consisted of three starting sophomores, Ross Florhaug, Nick Bata, and Bret Kinzler, and last year season ended (21-4) in the Regional Championship against linton. Now this year are 22-0. Duke Larson is a big contender for the spot.
bball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby supermang57 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:07 pm

wow, u guys make very good arguments for each coach....amazing, it will be interesting to see who accually gets it haha
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lambboy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:23 am

How about nic zenker from bowman. i here he coaches with a lot of passion and knows the game very well. he has got those bulldogs cruising down their.they are one of the best teams in the state.
lambboy
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndtaterman » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:39 am

One thing that would be neat would be to see a PBK (Larson)  matchup against Bowman (Zenker) in the State B.  Zenker started his coaching career in PBK as assistant under Coach Larson.  Both good contenders for Coach Of The Year.
ndtaterman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Roughrider » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:53 am

i really think Zenker should be a strong contender. The bulldogs steamrolled to a 22-1 record. Also Gregg Grinsteiner is a good contender also. he always has the titans in the thick of things and has led them to the state tourney the last 7 years. Both are very good coaches
Roughrider

Postby Perles » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:34 am

Tell me something, how does PBK's Duke Larson not get the District 5 Coach of the Year...but he gets the Region 3 Coach of the Year?  That doesn't seem right.  What he has done over the past three year's for that team needs to be rewarded. 
Perles
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Roughrider » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:40 am

that is kind of a weird ordeal perels, by the way who ended up winning District 5 coach of the year
Roughrider

Postby Rebel » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:42 am

I did not think they annnounce the Region Coach of the Year award until after the games tonight?
North Dakota Preps Hall of Fame Inductee
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby Perles » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:51 am

Sorry about the major mistake there guys, here is what I meant to write:

How does Duke Larson win District 5 Coach of the Year, but not the Stutsman County Tournament(takes place in January) Coaching award?  Region Coach of the Year will be givin' out after the game tonight, which Larson should win hands down.
Perles
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndtaterman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:06 pm

Larson was the heavy favorite to win the County Tourny.  He did just that and also the team was not hitting on all cylinders at that time.  When somebody comes in to that tourny and exceeds expectations that early they usually win the coaches award.  I would say tonite he will win it hands down,  but without a win it will be meaningless to him.  Good Luke tonite Coach Larson and thanks for the wild ride this year!!!!!!!!!!   Also a thanks to Asst. Coach Florhaug and Coach Otto!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by ndtaterman on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndtaterman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Perles » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:02 pm

I agree with you Taterman, if they don't beat Lamoure all is lost for coach Larson.  Individual awards are not his main priority, he wants that state tournament berth...and once they are there, he has no plans to just lay down and play dead.
Perles
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Perles » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:12 pm

Region 3 Coach of the Year: Duke Larson.
Perles
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bluedevilbball » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:58 pm

I totally agree Coach Larson.  
bluedevilbball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OldmanBBall » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:21 am

Yes, i agree with all you guys too..Coach Larson..He has done a good job this year..
OldmanBBall

Postby rep » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:23 pm

i think the job dan carr did with linton this year was pretty amazing. he lost two players to injury (torn acl and broken neck) before the season ever started. to deal with all of that and get a team into the region semifinals is pretty amazing.

duke is a pretty cool guy and i like him quite a bit, but he also has the benefit of a ton of seniors. having a starting 5 of only seniors is pretty rare, especially at the class b level, and there is a ton of on-court leadership there that other teams simply do not have. but, he shouldn't be penalized for that either...he has poured a lot of work into the kids throughout the years.

the coach for the team that gets the state berth with an undefeated record should receive some pretty heavy consideration.

as four winds is in a similar situation as p-b-k with being undefeated going into state, is there a precident of two coaches of the year? i'm not positive when the coach of the year is voted on...will the opening round of state (or the semifinals and championship) factor into the voting or is it decided on prior to the state tourney?

if that's the case, those first couple of games could go a long ways in deciding COY
rep

Postby bballcrasher » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:26 am

I don't think that's fair to say that a coach with a team with an undefeated record should automatically  be considered coach of the year. Some teams have loses to out of state teams, or Class A teams, or tough teams in their region. Take Trinity for example, one loss, to Bowman, which they avenged, had Bowman won, one loss to Trinity, which they would have avenged. I'm not making a case for anyone here, but there's a lot of factors in deciding coach of the year, not just record. Think about where the team was last year, what improvements were made throughout the season, what hardships has the team faced (like the injuries reported) and how they overcame them. I think there are a lot of top notch candidates....I'm glad I don't have to vote this weekend!!!
Last edited by bballcrasher on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby bluedevilbball » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:33 am

I agree I could be a little biased to vote for Duke but he has had this team playing good teams and beating them.  Lamoures only losses were to PBk and he has put a lot of time in.  Dan Carr is another he has taken a team with less talent than in the past and took them pretty far.  It is a pretty open field you could make a case for any of these guys.
bluedevilbball
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Boys