Shot clock for Class B?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ndsubball » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:04 pm

Does anyone think class B should be like class A and have a shot clock? I do because you could just sit there and pass the ball around the whole quarter
ndsubball

Postby Batman » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:16 pm

I'll bet most people would vote against it.  It's pretty hard to get into the state tournament for most class b schools, if they can play good defense and get good coaching they at least have a chance.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 pm

I think money is another issue. Smaller schools dont have the funding to get shot clocks or just don't want to waste the money on it.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsubball » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:30 pm

All they would have to do is just put it in their school budget and increase like activtey fees and it would help pay for it...its better than watching teams go out and score like 10 points a quarter if they just run out the time..it forces teams to run their offense and shoot within a time limit and get more shots up than without one
ndsubball

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:14 am

The shot clock is a very good idea, it moves the tempo of the game.  I am not a fan of lulling a team to sleep then scoring, that is an old style of basketball.  If these kids want to compete at the next level, they will have to get used to the idea of a shot clock.  I mean, getting a shot clock is only keeping up with the game of basketball!  All classes have it except class B.  It would also be a good part of defense! It would force another team to work their game plan within 35 or so seconds.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDballer » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:25 am

I also think that class B should have a shot clock. It will speed up the game a lot, and result in higher scores. With a shot clock you will no longer have to watch a team stall a game away and win with a score of 4-2.
NDballer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ming01 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:23 am

I think a shot clock would be good for Class B.  It would make the game more entertaining and there wouldnt be as many boring games.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby js2125 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:25 am

I am against the shot clock in class B. Born and raised in a class B school, you don't have the all around talent on the team, what I mean is that you don't have 5 steller players on the court at the same time, if you do, great but it is a rarity, and this will lead to the not so talented players taking shots they shouldn't be just to beat the shot clock. Class B is just fine the way it is. Yes, you do have some low scoring games but I believe that has to do more with a coach's strategy than anything. Slowing the game down can be a huge advantage if you can do it and by adding a shot clock you are taking strategy away from the game. You are taking some coaching out of the game, in the same respects you need a good coach that could handle a shot clock. Running and gunning isnt always the answer, bad shooters can do that too.
js2125

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:51 am

heck yes to the shot clock in class "B" however a lot of coaches who have made a living off of keeping games in the 30's and 40's will be out of jobs but oh well it will make for more exciting games where the game is decided by the kids and not lame tactics.

I think about 35 seconds would be about right.

The Natural
4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Postby bbjay » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:06 am

I think implementing a shot clock would be a bad idea for class B basketball.  There's a strategy that certain coaches can use to stay in a game for a longer period of time.  Who wants to see blowouts?  Anyway, if a team plays good enough defense, they shouldn't let a team pass all around them for a whole quarter.  Get up in their face!
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:41 am

Now that would be a boring league and is in some places.  Shot clock would force coaches into changing there ways to newer times.  What about these kids who want to go on to college? They have a shot clocker there, this will prepare them.  Sitting on the ball is not basketball, that is chess! 

Who wants to see blow outs? Well I guess I do!  I would rather watch a high scoring team than to watch someone pass the ball 9 times and then shoot and call that strategy.  I don't find that entertaining.  I find that boring.  How can a crowd get into the game? 
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bbjay » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:02 am

Class A has a shot clock, they don't necessarily score tons of points.  Plus, what's wrong with passing the ball around a couple of times and trying to get a good shot.  Like I said, don't let them pass it around 9 times and get up and play some defense. 

But maybe we should implement the shot clock for the 1 in 200 class B kids who is going on to play college ball.  Just so they're used to it.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:45 am

bbjay wrote:Class A has a shot clock, they don't necessarily score tons of points.  Plus, what's wrong with passing the ball around a couple of times and trying to get a good shot.  Like I said, don't let them pass it around 9 times and get up and play some defense. 

They score a little more then 24 - 30, or whatever the low scores are!  What is the fun in watching that?  I mean they scored more in Hoosiers!  They didn't have three point lines then.  There is nothing wrong with looking for the right shot, but sounds like teams are lulling other teams to sleep.  Get with the times.  It goes to prove how old school thinking ND Class "B" is!!!  I guess our region never had a problem with having scores that low.  So Shot Clocks were never an issue!

Last edited by Indians Alumni on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby joey32 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:20 pm

Did someone also mention that North Dakota Class "A" basketball is the only one to actually use the shot clock in the entire country, not even the big time schools around the nation use it. So that makes me wonder why little schools in ND should use it?
joey32

Postby bisonman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:05 pm

So when most class B players start varsity and JV in even 8th grade, you want them to develop the mentality of not passing the ball around and giving it to your ace to throw up a last second shot every possesion at the age? Why not work the ball around until you get a good shot and not a forced shot? Isn't that what you want to coach the kids into learning? It'd be real exciting watching the mediocre teams just throwing up forced shots every possesion instead of letting them develop the fundamentals like they should be. There is always a few games where a team stalls for 3-4 minutes at the end of the 4th, so blame the loss for not having a shot clock? Kind of like blaming a game on the officials. You win some, you lose some.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:47 pm

I am pretty sure the big school divisions in Minnesota use a shot clock.  Plus it would be better to have a shot clock in Class B.  Teams would have a better chance to come back, because if a team nowdays is down by 10 with 4 minutes left, it's pretty much over.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby supermang57 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:15 pm

i dont think a shotclock should be used in class B, because bad shots will be put up to beat the clock, sure there is some stalling, and it can get boring, but thats jsut part of the game in class B, and most games i've been too there hasent been much stalling, jsut slowing the game down a lot, but theres almost always a shot, the team dosent stand at 1/2 court and pass it around, they go around and pass around the hoop and when someone gets a good open shot they take it, and who ever said the thing about the money issue, thats huge! i know for a fact most small schools are struggling to get by with the budget they are on....adding the shot clock would put a burden on some schools athletic departments, so i think we are long away from seeing a shot clock implemented in class B
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:46 am

bisonman wrote:So when most class B players start varsity and JV in even 8th grade, you want them to develop the mentality of not passing the ball around and giving it to your ace to throw up a last second shot every possesion at the age? Why not work the ball around until you get a good shot and not a forced shot? Isn't that what you want to coach the kids into learning? It'd be real exciting watching the mediocre teams just throwing up forced shots every possesion instead of letting them develop the fundamentals like they should be. There is always a few games where a team stalls for 3-4 minutes at the end of the 4th, so blame the loss for not having a shot clock? Kind of like blaming a game on the officials. You win some, you lose some.

I did not say anything about the mentality or fundamentals, So a team has to pass the ball around all night to be a fundamental team? They can't run an offense in 35 seconds?  Sounds like someone has failed in 8th grade or JV!!!  Running a good offense and taking the whole 35 sec shot clock would be more exciting to watch. 

So what you are saying also is that Class A doesn't develope there players, they use a shot clock!?  There must be a heck of a lot of loose cannons in Class A and Minnesota teams that have shot clocks. 

As far as budget, you are telling me that up to 5 schools or 3 schools or 2 schools in a co-op cannot afford to buy a set of shot clocks? Take a couple of the booster parties away or the school board trips, and there is your shot clocks!  How about some good old fashion fundraising?  Shot Clock systems aren't that expensive, and it is a one time purchase!

http://www.hitrunscore.com/mp5299-all-american-basketball-shot-clocks.html

http://www.basketball-goals.com/scoreboards2170.htm

http://www.hitrunscore.com/sk2shot-vpi-basketball-shot-clocks.html

http://www.onlinesports.com/pages/I,CP-SKSHOT.html
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bisonman » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:53 am

Yea, a good team can run an offense in 35 seconds. With the lack of kids, they usually don't have a 5 senior varsity full of experience every year that a class A school has. Most class B kids play for the fun of it, not to win a championship. Alot of them will never even see a district championship. Yea, there are a handful of teams and kids that want a shot clock to be more like class A, but they are heavily taking away from all the smaller teams that only play for fun, not competition.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbjay » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:07 pm

I've seen and played a lot of Class B ball, as I'm sure all of you have, and I don't think stalling is the rampant problem it's being made out to be here.  I haven't heard one legitimate reason to implement a shot clock yet. 

It'll make the games more exciting........closer games are more exciting.

They'll keep up with the game of basketball.........hardly any high schools in the country use a shot clock.

Kids will have to get used to it to play at the next level...........How many kids are we affecting here?

The kids will decide the games.........Then why do we have coaches?

Teams would have a better chance to come back..................play defense, don't get down in the first place.......why rely on technology to get you back into the game.

I don't think schools will want to spend the money on them as well.  Not every program is a co-op that has 5 schools contributing.

I agree that passing the ball around isn't good basketball, but I don't see it as that big of a problem right now.  Those are usually the weaker teams that do that anyway.  Their true colors will eventually come out if the other teams play their game.  The only time stalling works is when you let it work.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby supermang57 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:12 pm

yeah, not every class B school is a MPCG or PBK or wing-tuttle-robinson-petibone (i think thats what it is...or was, had a family relative once coach it) but yeah some of the smaller schools would be under a big burden, with only 1 school paying for the upwards to 1000 bucks for shot clocks, even tho i do belive 35 seconds is plenty of time but i think we are long off from seeing shot clock in class B
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:00 am

bbjay wrote:They'll keep up with the game of basketball.........hardly any high schools in the country use a shot clock.

Actually a lot of schools around the country are looking at implementing a shot clock system, upper divisions in Minnesota have, Girls basketball in Washington also.  It is time to make changes in the game.  If we didn't make changes, there would still be like 8 players playing on each team, defense and offense, and no three point lines, or dunking.  The whole part of sports is adapting to changes in the game. 

To answer the statement that small school teams play for fun, well there are recreation leagues for that.  I am sure their coaches  would disagree with you.  If they play for fun, how can betting blown out be any fun? 

As far as paying for the shot clocks, why not get some local business to pay for it and put up advertisement on the clock?  There is always ways to pay for it. 
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby COACHWEST » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:24 am

What rural ND towns have rec leagues?
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:44 am

COACHWEST wrote:What rural ND towns have rec leagues?

So they have to drive a couple miles!  They do for basketball games.  This way they would not waste money on games that kids only play for "Fun"!  Don't get me wrong HS sports should be first of all fun, but should be taken seriously!  Why waste the schools money paying coaches or money spent on shoes or their parents money for the program if they are only playing for fun without being competative.  They can play games for fun on there Xbox's or PSII's!
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:33 pm

If anything I would actually like to see class B get rid of the three point line. Get kids away from shooting so far away from the basket and make them move in and take easier and better shots. I know it will never happen but i would rather see that happen then a shot clock.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys